PDA

View Full Version : What is your loc regimen?

LocRockin
11-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Ladies what is your loc regimen?

For me I re-twist every 2 weeks and wash once a month
I use dry shampoo to get rid of build up in between washes
Oil my hair every other day with tea tree oil,shea butter oil,and a growth oil
I sleep with a satin bonnet every night

mochalove
11-07-2009, 02:14 AM
My routine goes like this:

I wash my hair weekly at which time I do a hot oil treatment. I retwist every 6 to 8 weeks. Massage my scalp everytime I oil my hair which is every other day. Or when needed.

watchmeloc
11-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Good question.....Don't have one just yet...but looking forward to reading the responses.

remilaku
11-07-2009, 04:04 AM
I am a freeformer.
I wash once a week now.
I oil when needed
I only clean up when I see or feel a thin loc at its root.
I use leave in conditioner once a week.
I do a protien mix every other wash
I clarify every other wash
I deep condition every other wash
I use natural color every wash
My final wash is always or should be always filterd water.
I try to only use natural products on my hair.

Bejewelle
11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I wash every two weeks
I latch every 8 weeks [or so]
I oil when needed
I spritz with water every other day or so
I may tie my hair up at night or I may not - sometimes I just raise it upwards over the pillow [to minimise chance of rolling on it - the rare but unpleasant Yank effect]
I dye to hide grays once a month

That's pretty much it

AfroAngel67
11-07-2009, 12:25 PM
hmm... I don't really have one because i've just started my loc's (7 days ago), was told by my loctician I cannot wash my hair for five weeks until i go back for a retwist, so for now i've just been using a lil bit of jojoba oil and tying my hair down at night with a silk scarf.

LocRockin
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Im thinking bout switching my regimen a lil bit since the weather is kinda cooler...thanks everyone for your responses! Cant wait to here more

CinnamonBiscuit
11-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Wet my hair in the shower if I decide, let my hair air-dry most times, do a proper wash if I feel like it or my scalp is itchy, re-twist about once a month, re-twist the loose locs that unraveled in the shower. When out or going to sleep, I keep my hair covered with at least one scarf.

ya~akua
11-07-2009, 09:15 PM
i wash condition oil pop as needed whenever i choose... its a beautiful thing :)

msfullroller
11-08-2009, 02:50 AM
Due to my oily scalp I:

Wash minimum every 4 days now that it's cooler
Use a leave in after every wash
Latch every 4 weeks.

After 30+ years my scalp feels great and my hair seems to be growing faster.

EvesDilemma
11-08-2009, 03:50 AM
Wash once to twice a week
Spritz with essential oils, water, and base oil every other day
Relatch every 7-9 weeks

watercolorz
11-08-2009, 04:15 AM
Daily...
I co-wash daily at night... making sure that I rinse for at least 5 min.
Wrap with a moisture absorbing towel.
Apply caster oil
In the morning I spritz lightly with water Infusium23 combo
To keep my roots in check I either use curly pudding or let's jam (depending on what the root situation is looking like)

Monthly...
I put a very heavy conditioner on my hair to soak through my locs 24 hours (the mixture is one that can be used to take down locs)
I do a heavy warm rinse for 10 to 15 min
Spray with Infusium23 and water mix then castor oil
After that I finger latch my loc new growth

Every 2 months...
Before I do my monthly routine I refresh my color...
I alternate between using a semi-permanent and permanent color.

Every 6 months...
Before I do my monthly routine I spray my hair with a moisturizing shampoo dilute with water.
I put a plastic cap on wait 24 hours rinse and do my monthly routine.

Once a year...
I do a trim to keep shape ~W

nnebekee
11-09-2009, 07:43 AM
err, just started but here it goes...

rinse daily (so quickly found out that for now, twisting is not feasible)...except when styling (rare). taking showers sans shower cap is one of the major reasons i decided to loc.:)) Also, i am a rough sleeper who can never get my scarf to last the night and I wear neck scarves all the time. So this means lint gets in my hair. rinsing daily gets rid of it.

oils by themselves are too heavy, so i do like a 1:10 mixture of Africa's Best Oil and water and spritz after a rinse....tho, I havent been doing this as often as of late

once a week I will wash with a generic shampoo (suave) and then follow-up with the pantene relaxed and natural conditioner, which has been pretty good to me so far - not amazing, but decent. occasionally if i feel that my hair is a bit dry, i will co-wash only.

finger-latch as the spirit leads (usually I try to leave at least of finger's width of new growth so that its not tight). well, its not new growth, but rather a whole lotta slippage.

hunny bunny
11-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I wash about every two weeks. I spritz daily or every other day. I use castor oil with EO in it to soften and moisturize.

I latch ummm....once a month?? I have been retightening for the past few days. *Sigh*

Alisondra
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
I wash at least once a week...usually more. I use conditioner at almost every wash. I have all kinds of smell good shampoos and conditioners.

A little EVOO while damp.

I clarify about once a month with ACV/Baking soda.

I haven't dyed my grays in a while. I lost portions of my hairline the last couple of times. I may try a rinse soon to color the gray hair. Or I'll start using the hair mascara, again.

Alisondra
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Oh and I also sleep on satin pillowcases.

MsClocs83
11-09-2009, 08:29 PM
I wash once a week. I spritz with Oyin Juices and Berries daily, and I get retightenings every 5 weeks

elobutterfly
11-09-2009, 09:09 PM
I am changing my routine. Some of my locs are extremely weak (and have been falling out)so I don't plan to retwist until the week before Thanksgiving (last twist was 3 weeks ago, but I used to twist every other week, I was so obsessed with neat locs). I am now washing once every other week and setting them with rollers or braids. I amke sure I do a very deep conditioning and dry my locs all the way through (I'm so afraid of mildew!) I use a bonnet dryer I got from Sally's. I also just received my Oyin shipment (Juices & Berries, Shine & Define) so I plan to use that next time! I love the Juices and Berries, they need to make that in a quart bottle! :-)

Ofo
11-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I wash 1x weekly, usually with sls-free shampoo and black soap.
Always air dry.
condition 1x in a while
spritz with oil/water combo,2-3x weekly(whatever takes my fancy usually includes lavender, jojoba, aloevera oils)
Wear my satin bonnet to bed and around the house as needed.
I've coloured 2x with henna in 3 months.
Retighten 1x 6 weeks

Fuesha
11-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Pretty much like ya said. I do me. Even with 600 locks to maintain i do as i please.

It usually goes like this:

Shampoo once a week with TW Black Earth Shampoo
Retighten when i get ready too. Same with popping.
Spritz my hair with essential oils and water mix when i feel the need.
Usally once a day or a few times a week.
Cover my ahir with a satin bonnet when i can find the things lol

Thats pretty much it. My hair is thriving. Less has always been best for me.

LocRockin
11-15-2009, 03:06 AM
So I changed my routine a lil bit..I'm not washing till December I washed last bout 2 wks ago so only washing once a month. Im using dry shampoo which i haven't even opened so I'm doing kinda good with out washing. I chose to re-twist every 3 weeks. I also made a mix of EVOO,shea butter,and tea tree oil. It smells good its a lil greasy from the EVOO but its super moisturized right now. I haven't slept with a scarf in 2 weeks.

Natural Kinks
11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Hmm I guess that my routine has changed slightly since I started locs - not much though. I wash once a week with Oyin Grand Poo Bar & CD Khoret Amen for my locs only (not scalp as my scalp doesn't like castile soap) - I do use it on the second wash and use the Grand Poo Bar on my scalp both times. The CD has conditioning properties as well and leave my locs uber soft. I only condition with aloe and honey about once a month. I moisturize twice a week with either Greg Juice or by rubbing a little Burnt Sugar Pomade through my locs (a little - I mean less than a dime size goes a long way and the primary ingredient is castor oil - SUCH good stuff). I clarify once or twice a month with baking soda or Paul Mitchel 3 shampoo. Lately I've been retwisting every 4-5 weeks faithfully finally lol and use aloe gel to retwist. I use a loc soc at night or satin scarf and ALWAYS sleep on a satin pillowcase.

ETA - Oh yeah I also spritz my scalp after a wash with my water, tea tree and peppermint essential oils mixture and then again midweek - stimulates scalp, takes care of any itchies and is VERY refreshing.

swift8
11-15-2009, 10:55 AM
1. Wash
2. Condition
3. Add oil
4. Air dry

This is my weekly routine. I cover with a satin scarf before bed. I'm a semi freeformer and tend not to latch any time less than 12 weeks.

Daughter-of-Diaspora
11-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Wash bi-weekly
Deep condition bi-weekly
Latch monthy (back)
twist bi-weekly (front)
Spritz daily

newmoe1
11-15-2009, 02:50 PM
can i ask a question

why do you wash your hair so often ?

do you use a lot of product and want to prevent build up ?

Daughter-of-Diaspora
11-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Not sure if that ? was for me but I'll answer...

I wash often for several reasons. Top 2:

1. sensitive skin- if I go more than a couple weeks, I have bad break-outs. Something about the natural oils in my scalp.

2. While I dont use a lot of product (actually I use very little), I love a clean, fresh scalp.

newmoe1
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
Not sure if that ? was for me but I'll answer...

I wash often for several reasons. Top 2:

1. sensitive skin- if I go more than a couple weeks, I have bad break-outs. Something about the natural oils in my scalp.

2. While I dont use a lot of product (actually I use very little), I love a clean, fresh scalp.

thanks
no that question was for every one in the thread

just wondering because i only wash once a month and was wondering was i missing something

swift8
11-15-2009, 04:36 PM
I wash once a week because my scalp becomes itchy and irritated if I don't. I have gone a few weeks without washing before and dug at my head so much that it was so sore.

EvesDilemma
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
I wash often because I work out and don't like the idea of sweat/salt building up in my hair.

delleaux
11-15-2009, 11:06 PM
I keep mine pretty simple.
1. wash every day or other
2. oil my scalp after a wash
3. use acv with every other wash
4. tie them up
5. less is more for me hair.:D

sharynleigh
11-16-2009, 01:09 AM
its cold now so i wash twice a week. usually sunday and wednesday with trader joes nourish spa shampoo and conditioner. dry with two shamwows and air dry. sometimes i may rub in a bit of jojoba oil if i think about it but most of the times i do nothing. this works best for my 6 yo locs

AuNappturale
11-16-2009, 02:13 AM
Wash every 2-3 weeks and apply an oil.
Re-twist and ACV rinse very 4-5 weeks.
Spritz to moisturize every 5-7 days.

That is all.

Ipanema
11-17-2009, 01:45 AM
My routine: I shampoo every three days and rub coconut oil & perfume through my hair on non-wash days. I latch about once per month. To dry, I use a blow-dryer or sit in front of the heater.

watercolorz
11-17-2009, 04:57 AM
can i ask a question

I have found your routine will/should vary depending on hair texture, length, loc size, method of start and maintenance.

I for me I wet my hair often but I rarely use shampoo... I cowash like I did when I had loose hair. I don't have problems with build up and it has kept my hair from getting super hard.

I know several people who started their locs (aprox 2 1/2 to 3 years) the same time as I who are now complaining of breakage and thinning and loc hardening.

Part of that is based upon doing things to dry out the hair and to "loc" faster which gave instant gratification but wasn't good for long term hair health.

I'm all about having soft touchable hair and my routine keeps it that way ~W

LocRockin
11-17-2009, 06:29 AM
can i ask a question

I used to wash every week due to build up and i hate having gunk in my hair so i bought a dry shampoo to use between washes which i have decided to be once a month

Nzingha
11-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Rinse daily, wash & condition once a week, spritz with olive oil/water mixture once a week. No twisting or latchting. :))

sugaplums
10-19-2010, 05:09 AM
BUMPING
I have learned so much from this thread. I love reading regimens. :))
Here's mine:
wash once a week with castile soap, black soap or vo5 kiwi lime
spritz daily
retwist 1x every 3 weeks with coconut oil water or aloe vera gel
short & sweet

AuNappturale
10-19-2010, 05:32 AM
Wash every 2-3 weeks and apply an oil.
Re-twist and ACV rinse very 4-5 weeks.
Spritz to moisturize every 5-7 days.

That is all.

Updated routine.

Wash every 2 weeks and apply an oil or aloe vera juice.
Re-twist and ACV rinse very 5-6 weeks.
Spritz to moisturize every 3-5 days.

NaturalgurlAZ
10-19-2010, 05:40 AM
Wash every other day
Use oils to seal in moisture.
No twisting or latching.
That's it :D

MsClocs83
10-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I wash and condition once a week.

Spritz daily and style when I feel like it.

netta1
10-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Wash once a week, deep condition on rare occations. Spray my scalp with olive oil spray and use Dr Miracle's when dry. I retighten every 8 to 10 weeks. Fluff daily and go.

NeverGiveup
10-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Looking at all of you, I am doing TOO too much. Time to go SAT down.

ndpndntldy2002
10-20-2010, 02:34 AM
I am 3.5 months loc'd. Hair length is 3-4 inches, less in the back. I rinse daily, shake and air dry. Shampoo every two weeks, no conditioner. Oil if necessary. Latch every two weeks (due to slippage in the back)

CinnamonBiscuit
10-20-2010, 02:38 AM
Wet my hair in the shower if I decide, let my hair air-dry most times, do a proper wash if I feel like it or my scalp is itchy, re-twist about once a month, re-twist the loose locs that unraveled in the shower. When out or going to sleep, I keep my hair covered with at least one scarf.

How things have changed now
No longer do I maintain
Now I just freeform

:p

naturalreds
10-20-2010, 02:48 AM
wash twice a week with CV Ayurvedic soap, apply olive oil, let soak in with plastic bag/cap underneath towel....rinse...towel dry ...wrap loose hairs around bases of locs if I feel like it ...tada!

akilamonique
10-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I wash my hair whenever I feel the need with an all natural olive oil base bar soap(I can use it head to toe). It usually ends up being once or twice a week.
I spritz it with a castor oil/water/aloe/honey mix daily to keep it conditioned and tame the frizzies a bit.
I've been latching for awhile now. I do that when I think about it. Maybe every couple of months.

spacetygrss
10-22-2010, 01:58 AM
I wash my hair 1-2 times per week with an SLS-free, moisturizing shampoo and lock in the moisture with an oil. Between shampoos I spritz my hair with a jojoba oil and water concoction as needed.

simonn1984
10-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I wash with Castille liquid soap (Tea Tree and Lavender) maybe once or twice a week.

I retwist ~2 months with aloe vera gel (Lily of the Desert) and honey mixture and sit under bonnet hair dryer (from Sally's)

Between retwists, to keep the fuzzies under control, I will use sponge rollers--this also helps separate the locs without investing too much time

Spritz whenever with sea salt, H20, rosemary, tea tree mixture

Denny
10-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Wash once a week, now and again every other week
Deep condition once a month with warm olive oil, plastic bag and 15 mins under dryer
A few times a week let it get wet in the shower
Spritz with Talijah Wajid (sp) conditioner or ORS Nature Shine every other day
Wear locs freestyle most days

Karibana
11-03-2010, 04:32 PM
*Bumping this thread because I was looking for new ways to moisturize my locs*

Right now I'm washing once a week (I just switched to Khiel's Amino Acid shampoo) and once the locs are dry, I spritz with a glycerin mix. Now that cold outside/heated indoors season has has started, my glycerine mix is now a detriment so I'm looking for a new routine. I will give pre-pooing a try, not with condish but with coconut oil, after the shampoo I will do a castor oil spritz.

leosreign@gmail.com
11-26-2010, 03:39 AM
I wash with Dr.Booners soap (heavily diluted), and condition with heated shea butter, tea tree oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and pepermint once a week, although I wet my hair in the shower everyday (just running my wet fingers thru it) I cant help it (:

Retwist every 2weeks (or longer if ive kept my hair tied up), maybe latch a few once a month..

TimidGrowth32
11-26-2010, 04:08 AM
in my 5th month... my routine has changed alot these last 5 months just trying to figure out what works haha.. but now

1. wash twice a week with KissMyFace Whenever shampoo and follow that up with the wonderful water soluble KBB Hair Nectar leave in conditioner (my hair really likes these two so far)..

2. Oil my scalp with sweet almond oil that has a few drops of rosemary oil after the washes and whenever the scalp feels dry (sometimes everyother day, other times less often)

3. In between washes i spritz with plain water, then with a water oil mix to seal in the moisture and add a little sheen. I usually do this, put on a shower cap and shower. The heat trapped in the cap during that time gives me a little mini treatment lol

4. retwist about every 4 - 6 weeks, the wash before a retwist i clarify with Sauve Clarifying Shampoo and do a hot oil treatment

5. Try to DC every two months with KBB Lucious Locks Hair mask...

6. Randomly use baking soda and ACV rinse before some washes.. depends

so far this has been working out, dont think i will be changing any products any time soon.. although I will be looking for some more smell good eo's

atdow71
11-26-2010, 01:21 PM
My routine isn't as religious as it should be.
Once a week I wash my hair. I also deep condition it, leave it in over night and in the morning I wash it out and usually curl it using pipe cleaners (99% of the time i air dry my hair)
I spritz w/ rose water, but I just bought some juices and berries from oyin using their 20% off blackfriday code.
I twist my hair every 2 months sometimes more frequently if I have an even coming up and my hair needs to be fresh.

sugaplums
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I am freeforming just wash and seperate. I am 2 months into my loc journey.
Shampoo - baking soda wash with water, essential oils, & 2 tbs. Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo.
Leave this on for 10-15 minutes.
Clarify - Next I do a acv rinse
Conditioner - Strong herbal tea rinse of Bengal spice & peppermint tea or chamomile & lemongrass tea. I leave this on for 5 mintues.
Lastly I use my beloved aloe vera gel. :)
Daily spritz - distilled water, honey, essential oils (tea tree & rosemary), aloe vera gel
Loc Accelerator - lemon juice, sea salt, honey (using this daily to lighten my locs).
Also get all my teas from Celestral Seasonings. ;)

Nzingha
11-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I just reached 15 months today (yay!), and my regimen has simplified somewhat:

1. Wash & condition weekly/co-wash on alternate weeks
2. Rub castor oil & coconut oil through my hair after each wash
3. Deep condition once monthly with olive oil, honey and cinnamon

My hair stopped drying out between washes, not sure why. So I don't need spritzes or extra oil any longer. I'm freeforming, so no twisting or latching. I separate when the mood hits.
:))

oldlady1909
11-27-2010, 04:53 AM
no shower cap>>shampoo as needed with TW usually once a week>>shampoo with Dawn every 4-5 weeks...daily use=evoo with rosemary oil...after 6months of being a product junkie..I figured out what works for me..my locs are soft and lovely...)8-|oops I use a rinse to cover the gray about every 6-8 weeks...

luvbear
11-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Usually in the winter time I wash once every 2 weeks but I love my locs so much I dont care if it is winter or summer. My locs get washed with clariifying Suave shampoo. And Oiled with shea butter serum or oil lotion.:)
At night I use a loc soc or for those special occasions with my Boo, I love to let them hang so that he can caress my locs and scalp with such pleasure:))

BronzeQT
11-28-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't really call it a regimen because it varies so much...but I wash when it's needed--sometimes biweekly, sometimes daily. Retwist whole head once a month by loctician. Sometimes retwist the front and sides between loctician visits--depending on my social plans. Use a satin bonnet for sleep nightly. I do tend to use the same products though: Paul Mitchell shampoo 3 for clarifying, JASON aloe vera shampoo for daily washing, organic coconut oil for deep conditioning, and sweet almond oil for frequent oilings.

Natural Stylist
11-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I have learned that in all my time of trying to have a set routine of how i care for my locs that it is better to have no routine. i wash almost every day. i condition whenever i want. i use protein whenever i want. i hot oil whenever i want. i mosturize whenever i want. that is the beauty of having locs. do what ever you want, whenever you want. its a beautiful thang!

Bklyn78
11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Right now at almost 2 years I wash weekly air dry and use a pomade (burnt sugar pomade) to retwist every 4-6 weeks. I usually do updos, braid outs or pipe cleaner curls to keep it versatile. I am about to get som JBCO to help with the winter dryness. I sleep with a satin bonnet or silk scarf. I do a ACV about once a month and I condition each wash and deep condition 2x a month. Its really laid back and I don't spritz. My locs love me.

Rae_Dawn
11-30-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm a freeformer...I keep all things simple...
I ACV as I am moved
Oil as I am moved
Condition as moved....most regular thing that I do is to spray with a mixture
of oils and water..every other day or so....I have been growing my loc's for
over 12 years and this way of moving has served me well...

oh, I retwist if I see a strong need...I like to sometimes mane it helps to cut
down on the thinning at the roots and loss of loc's breaking...again maybe
a little off from others but it has served me well....

dewdrop
11-30-2010, 03:50 AM
-H20 spritz daily
-Wash weekly w/ shampoo and apply a leave-in hair lotion (moisturizer) on damp hair
-Latch once a month

imperviouschild
11-30-2010, 07:00 AM
I have had locs for 2.5yr after 8 yr of being natural, I'm motivated but lazy(:-):
-Rinse with water about 3-4 times a week especially after working out.
-Wash with baking soda every 1.5-2 weeks or so and condition w/burdock root, horsetail and rosemary, let it sit while I finish with shower routine then rinse.
-While damp, briskly rub safflower/olive squaline/avocado oil mix w/ e.o. frankincense, rosemary and geranium. Applying some drops to the upper parts of my scalp giving myself a nice massage (once warmed it it migrates through the rest of my head).
-Separate and as needed, randomly twist without pinning after washing.

effie4050
12-01-2010, 02:38 AM
1. Wash
2. Condition
3. Add oil
4. Air dry

This is my weekly routine. I cover with a satin scarf before bed. I'm a semi freeformer and tend not to latch any time less than 12 weeks.

Off topic :) I love your locs, I'm three months in and HOPE mine will evolve into something like yours. Lovely!

Once a week I:
ACV rinse & let sit 1/2 hr
Shampoo with Bronner's (whichever scent I'm washing with at the time)
Olive oil and glycerin mix and under the dryer
Leave it in (don't know if thats good or not)
Retwist with Nubian Kinks twisting creme (smells great)
Every other day:Spritz with half water, half infusium, couple of drops glycerin, peppermint oil mix

We'll see how it goes