PDA

View Full Version : Gauging the strength of your rootbed

NeverMoore
11-11-2009, 06:48 PM
My 11 month old locks are more or less the size of a power cord. I wanted them thicker but it just didn’t turn out that way. My hair though dense is pretty fine. I have about 215 and latch every 6 to 8 weeks. They’re 3 to 6 inches depending on the shrinkage caused by the texture of the hair. My hair is pretty full and I have no complaints.

But I have been thinking about the strength of the rootbed lately. My hair has been on a growing tear for the past 6 weeks and my hair line has actually been more sensitive during this time.

I attribute it to the fact that my hairline is less dense than the rest of my hair and contains finer hair that’s typically shorter - so frequent washing (of hair and face) results in more hairs getting loose from the root of the lock.

Lately, I’ve notice a wee bit of tenderness along the hairline after washing my hair. This does not happen after latching as the rootbed has again been fortified so I’m not terrified that my hairline might be at risk – at least not now - but I know the rootbed there requires special handling.

But the stress and manipulation caused washing is my barometer for gauging the strength of my rootbeds and any potential areas of weakness. Which part of my scalp or which locks are sensitive or tender after the tugging and pulling of washing and the weight of wet locks?

How often do you evaluate the strength of your rootbed and what measure do you use to test/monitor them?

ETA: I use a two point rotation which may contribute to hairs get loose along the hairline. A 4 or 3 point rotation may prevent this and I might move in that direction in the future.

Hennessy
11-11-2009, 06:59 PM
For myself, I looked at the root bed, then the size of the part, and my ultimate test is the feel of my roots themselves.

If your hair is sore after washing and not latching then you maybe maniuplating your scalp and hair too harshly. I'm tenderheaded, esp up top and in the front. So when I was latching I was really, really carefull with those sections. Since your tenderness happens after a wash, that leads me to believe it may be too much.

Another thing to keep in mind is if you are doing styles that are too tight/pulling your hairline too much. I would keep monitoring the rootbeds by touch..how they feel compared to your locs.

Alisondra
11-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I don't actively gauge the strength of my roots. I guess I'm lucky that it hasn't been a concern for me.

I suppose that while fingerlatching if I ever come across any that feel like they are just barely hanging on by a hair or two then I'd do something to repair them. It hasn't happened though.

Miss Concrete Jungle
11-11-2009, 07:23 PM
For myself, I looked at the root bed, then the size of the part, and my ultimate test is the feel of my roots themselves.

This is what I've done as well in determining which ones to combine. Some of my part sizes vary, but overall they all felt equally strong when I started 3 mos. ago. As my hair has begun to shrink, fuzz up, puff out and whatever else the ones that could be weak later on stuck out like sore thumbs. Even though they looked strong in appearance, feeling them btwn my fingers they didn't feel strong. I think I have dense hair w/ fine strands too, but I dunno, I get really confused sometimes..

CinnamonBiscuit
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
I just give my hair a gentle tug from time to time. I can tell the current condition of my hair just from doing that. So far, my scalp, roots, and hair are just fine.

remilaku
11-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I twist my root and if my root is strong and about the same size as the rest of my loc then it is ok. If it is smaller than the rest of my loc, then I try to find some lose hair near by and put it with the weak root to make it stronger.

ya~akua
11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
i look through my locs every now n again just make sure there are no locs hanging on by a thread...

AuNappturale
11-16-2009, 02:20 AM
This is what I've done as well in determining which ones to combine. Some of my part sizes vary, but overall they all felt equally strong when I started 3 mos. ago. As my hair has begun to shrink, fuzz up, puff out and whatever else the ones that could be weak later on stuck out like sore thumbs. Even though they looked strong in appearance, feeling them btwn my fingers they didn't feel strong. I think I have dense hair w/ fine strands too, but I dunno, I get really confused sometimes..

That was me. When started my locs I was concerned about my temples, which are my weak spots. While fuzziness made them look strong, I could see them hanging by threads when I washed them, so I ended up combining four of them. Good decision b/c they are now the size of my other locs, but the root bed is larger.

delleaux
11-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Normally what I do is after washing I look at my locks overall. I notice when they are thinning at the root it is because some of the loose hairs has separated and I have to reintroduce them back together. As far as my roots they are very healthy and strong. I inspect my hair often and clip the thinning edges if nothing else. :)