PDA

View Full Version : Naturally Sick

bmmitchell1
11-18-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey Nappys,

I have a question for some of you. I'm a natural newbie having done a mini chop just last Friday. For the last month I've been wetting my hair every morning and co-washing. Then off to work I go. Well, needless to say after that I got really sick and came down with strep throat and pheumonia. My mom swears it was because I was wetting my hair evey morning and then going outside (she from the old school).

Have any of you had that problem before. Geting sick because you wet your hair in the morning? How do I go about my day without combing through my hair in the morning?

:))

elaynej24
11-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Do you HAVE to wet your hair every morning? Maybe you can try a leave-in conditioner. Something that will dry faster.

juliacp
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Ok, i did the same thing soon after my BC and it was because I had no idea what to really do with my hair since it was so short. Myabe its coincidence that i got sick and so did youi but I wont try and test it.

What i do now is just slather on enough conditioner to moisten my hair and then 'finger comb" it. I just fluff and go...during the week and on weekends i take more time to do things to it. I am abit lazy and very much on the go--so I know I should do more but that is what works for me right now. I have noticed growth and i actaultl do need to put my hair in a protective style bc i see the ends are getting nasty looking (at least to me they are...)
hope this helps

DeeLightFullNaps
11-18-2009, 10:37 PM
its not a coincidence everyone I know including myself that trys that gets sick........Good Luck!!!

Psyann
11-18-2009, 10:42 PM
This is normally a huge topic of debate EVERYWHERE. While it's true you can't "catch" a cold from wet head because a cold is a virus, it is true(says my dr.) that you lose body heat from your head and feet faster than anywhere else on your body. So wet head could very well be the reason. Did you ask your Dr.? Sorry you're sick. Pneumonia and strep are NOT fun. Get well soon hon.

miscallaneouslyfe
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I've never gotten sick off of a wet head, but what the previous poster said does make sense.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well :-(

bmmitchell1
11-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Thank you for well wishes ladies. I have since gone to the doctor and boy do those meds kick in fast. My cough is almost all gone and my voice is finally back.

I do understand about the wet head and it makes since on how I could get sick. I think I will try a leave in conditioner and see how that works. Thanks for the tips.

Brandy

nappyqueen05
11-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I do it every morning, but I live in New Orleans. It has gotten chilly down here, but I know its not like the rest of the states. Anyway, I just get up earlier if I must wet it and yes I must. Secondly, try misting your hair and then do a creamy leave in. I use my hair dryer on cold to make sure it is not dripping and then get on my bike to work. I have not been sick, but thats me. Before you go out with a wet head again, try the other suggestions and see how they work for your hair.

RunsWithScissors
11-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Keep in mind that both strep and pneumonia are caused by germs (strep (http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/pneumonia-prevention) by bacterial and pneumonia (http://www.webmd.com/lung/tc/pneumonia-prevention) by bacterial or viral). Wet hair in the cold does not in any way cause you to be "catch" either one of these. The germs have to already be present in order for you to get sick. Now, there may be something to cold hair in cold weather and weakening your resistance...but I haven't seen anything to prove or disprove this.

I have been co-washing almost every morning since my first day napptural and have yet to get sick as a result. I have had colds, however, each time I got a cold it was because I was exposed to someone that also had a cold...usually some cootie carrying child..LOL.

Lots of other napptural I know personally cowash and have never gotten sick. Plus there are many on this board that cowash in the dead of winter but have not gotten sick either.