PDA

View Full Version : Tyra hair season

nappyqueen05
11-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Okay beautiful napptural ladies.

This season on Tyra has a whole lot to do with hair. She is asking all watchers to email her their thoughts on what they would like to see and know about hair.

I emailed her about this site and what it would mean for our community to have a show dedicated to the joy of natural hair. I think it would be awesome if we could blanket her site with other requests for a series devoted to teaching black women how to care for their natural hair and why it is so important.

All you do is go to the site and look up hair. Under the heading it will ask you for comments. CLick on the comment button and type away and mention our site.

I think this would be a great way to tear down the myths and lies concerning the lack of beauty in our hair.

How do you guys feel about this?

MSANTOS99
11-22-2009, 04:59 AM
That is a great idea.... wouldn't be great if she does? I will go over there now!
thanks.

CocoMT219
11-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I think that the discussion about natural, napptural chemical free hair needs to be discussed. I dont necessarily know if it will be very effective on the Tyra show however considering that in past episodes it was touched upon and then ignored. But I'm always willing to give her another chance on that. To me, it doesnt really seem that she is really too interested in natural hair void of chemical straightening. Idk. And it really annoys me that she always finds a way to call her hair kinky when it is clearly not.

CinnamonBiscuit
11-22-2009, 05:11 AM
Good idea, but I wouldn't watch it. Tyra's annoyed me too many times for me to support her anymore.

Bunicornaces
11-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Okay beautiful napptural ladies.

This season on Tyra has a whole lot to do with hair. She is asking all watchers to email her their thoughts on what they would like to see and know about hair.

I emailed her about this site and what it would mean for our community to have a show dedicated to the joy of natural hair. I think it would be awesome if we could blanket her site with other requests for a series devoted to teaching black women how to care for their natural hair and why it is so important.

All you do is go to the site and look up hair. Under the heading it will ask you for comments. CLick on the comment button and type away and mention our site.

I think this would be a great way to tear down the myths and lies concerning the lack of beauty in our hair.

How do you guys feel about this?

She is so self involved, it's unbelievable how someone could make anything about them a whole lot of the time.

KemetCandy
11-22-2009, 09:26 AM
I know tyra is not everyone's favorite talk show host, but I happen to like the OP's suggestion. We can use tyra's show to push our "nappy agenda". We can show the world that, for a large group of women, Nappy Hair is Awesome! If enough people do what the OP is suggesting it could show tyra that natural hair is on the rise and could one day rival or even trump straight hair as the new idea of beauty. Lets do it!

empresstigerlily
11-22-2009, 09:35 AM
She is so self involved, it's unbelievable how someone could make anything about them a whole lot of the time.

Haha

I watched her show for the first time las year and this was exactly what my mother and I thought

~GAN~
11-22-2009, 10:43 AM
I guess the only way I'd agree with her doing a show about natural hair is if she had several naturals who actually knew what they were talking about. If she tries to pass herself off like she knows all about natural hair just because she took her wig off, then its just gonna be another disappointment. She has a tendency to think that she becomes an expert on something overnight.

I'm tired of people doing shows about our natural hair but then have the nerve to have people with cfcs or someone who presses their hair to talk about it. You can't convince someone that natural hair IS beautiful while you sittin up there with bone straight hair.

Until then, I don't think Tyra could really do a show on it or anyone else for that matter, unless they are actually natural themselves. I think its a good effort, but I don't think she could ever truly do a good show on it.

ETA: I did leave a comment about doing a show on natural hair anyway and having experts on there to explain how to do it. I also mentioned Dee. I did see that she had the girl from curlynikki.com on her site! I guess she'll be featured on her show pretty soon so that's good.

bhop13
11-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Maybe she just needs to do a show on loving the natural you period for all races....no hair color, no make up, no extensions, no relaxers, no fake eye lashes, etc. Just napps, "mousy" brown hair, freckles, moles, etc LOL People should really be able to walk out the door without any of this and be ok. And she should also have regular women on that do this....no experts. I don't want a stylist in all her high end clothes, fake hair and eyelashes trying to give advice on how just be comfortable in your skin.

Fuzziwuz
11-22-2009, 12:27 PM
Good idea, but I wouldn't watch it. Tyra's annoyed me too many times for me to support her anymore.

LOL... I would probably do the same. The idea is good however her audience wouldn't reflect the demographic leaving many confused. Plus it would negatively reflect on Tyra... one that relaxes, promotes beauty, self acceptance and don't follow her own advice. She had two opportunities to address natural hair and failed. It makes no sense to dedicate a season to hair like the majority of women care.... it's not that deep, and she'll lose viewers like myself. Hair, weaves, make up and periods /* eyeroll */ Some topics Tyra feels uncomfortable discussing.

LBellatrix
11-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Done, though I doubt it will do anything...

Red DeSTiny
11-22-2009, 01:20 PM
added my two cents. doubt if it makes a difference. :-|

canidoit
11-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Even if you don't like her, you have to admit that she IS taking baby steps. I cringe when she uses the term 'natural hair' for herself even tho she is relaxed, but I blame that on lack of education. Instead of us complaining that things will never change, why not try to be a solution to the problem. That is why the op asked for us to leave a comment. I really think if she had the education on natural hair, she could make something out of it.

nappyqueen05
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Thank you ladies so much for emailing Tyra.
I honestly don't know if it will make a difference. What I do know is that the natural hair care movement cannot be ignored and I do plan to show through love and kindness the beauty of our natural hair.
I might have to change my name to the Encouraging Optimistic Nappy Happy Queen05!

I know we will get our moment to shine, if not Tyra someone else, if not Good Hair, another movie, but it will indeed happen and we must continue to move toward that goal......a society of free natural and healthy haired women!

CinnamonBiscuit
11-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Even if you don't like her, you have to admit that she IS taking baby steps. I cringe when she uses the term 'natural hair' for herself even tho she is relaxed, but I blame that on lack of education. Instead of us complaining that things will never change, why not try to be a solution to the problem. That is why the op asked for us to leave a comment. I really think if she had the education on natural hair, she could make something out of it.

Tyra's in her 30s and is NOT taking baby steps. She has had endless opportunities to learn, but falls way short every time. She's an idiot, and it frustrates me when she's given credit for stuff she doesn't even do. Every single time she has a chance to make a difference, she just encourages the same BS that has led to there being so many issues in the first place.

Miss Dee Dee
11-22-2009, 07:10 PM
done, and quite eloquently. a lot of folks were touting natural hair, so who knows. maybe the show's people will listen.

jaimuziq
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM
The last time Tyra did a show on hair a nappturality member was on there and she barely let her speak. I don't have much faith in Tyra but I will give her a chance AGAIN and email her.>)

@ ~Gan~ the show with Curlynikki already taped so it may be airing soon.

~GAN~
11-22-2009, 07:59 PM
@bhop, I know what you mean about the experts, but when I say experts, I'm talking about almost any woman who has been natural...maybe for some years. Someone like Dee would be considered an expert to me or LBell, or any other vets for that matter. Someone who is mentally natural as well.

@Jazi, thanks! :)

canidoit
11-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Tyra's in her 30s and is NOT taking baby steps. She has had endless opportunities to learn, but falls way short every time. She's an idiot, and it frustrates me when she's given credit for stuff she doesn't even do. Every single time she has a chance to make a difference, she just encourages the same BS that has led to there being so many issues in the first place.

Well, I'm in my 30's and I only got edumacated about a yr ago. All things are possible to those who believe:D

sonnysgirl11
11-23-2009, 01:13 AM
I posted on her site. I actually really like Tyra, and am fully aware of her self-centeredness and issues, but I'm also aware that she's a bit tortured and seems to really want to break free from the lye, but was immersed in an industry that wouldn't allow it at the time. She's no different from plenty of other permie's (she reminds me of my sister, really, who is also a model). She tries.

Either way, the show would be a great springboard for the nappy agenda. I can't think of any other one, definitely not Oprah. I agree with bhop3, they should discuss naturalness of all women.