PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Newly Simplified Routine?

Syrel
11-27-2009, 03:51 PM
For a few weeks now, I've been revelling in the fact that my hair routine is no longer complicated or costly. And I'm wondering if you have had this experience.

When I found this site last summer, I learned a lot about mositurizing, sealing and a boatload of products. It seemed that most routines shared by members involved at least 5 or 6 products, and I bought quite a few of them.

A few weeks ago, I discovered that my 5-inch-long hair does well with only 2 products: an instant conditioner for washing and a curl activator gel for extra dry hair to seal in moisture. No oil, no deep conditioners (don't do a thing any more), no puddings, potions or concoctions. I learned I don't need to co-wash daily--though I did it before because it was fun. So now my routine is super simple and inexpensive. Love it!

OK; your turn to describe your simplified routine!

afroknots11412
11-27-2009, 04:01 PM
this is simplified for me considering I was doing acv rinses, tea rinses, molasses treatments, growth oils, etc...

once a week
prepoo: mixture of avocado, olive and coconut oils (oils said to penetrate and strengthen hair. do this overnight)
shampoo: juicy or charm shampoo bar (karens)
condition: ao hsr with mix of ayuvedic herbs, olive oil, honey, and aloe vera (deep condition for 30 min). once a month use ao GPB for protein treatment.
leave in and style with: super silky and hair butter (karens)

daily routine:
spritz: rosewater
moisturizer: super silky
seal: olive oil

I really only use 2 lines now aubrey organics and karens. they are locally available to me. both lines are mainly natural.

Claire76
11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Since cutting my hair, I've returned to basics. I use a conditioner in the shower. I'm not mentioning a particular brand because I'm experimenting with a few different kinds.

For moisture I've gone all the way back to an old standby: Homemade spritz. Mine consists of aloe gel, vegetable glycerine, and distilled water.

Lately, though, I've been curious about Qhemet's biologics. When I lived in Toronto I went to Honeyfig. They gave me a sample of Qhemet' Burdock Root Butter Cream. For some reason, my hair loves it.

MaroonDawta
11-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes I have :D

I wash my hair about once or week (or so) with Dudu Osun Black Soap and no conditioner after that!

The conditioner I've been using since my BC doesn't seem to be doing anything to my hair but making it feel 'producty' :-|

Soooo I've been using Black soap on it's own for the last month and it's great and cheap! lol My hair feels so soft after that.

Today I bought a coconut conditioner as my hair feel like now it needs some deep conditioning loving .:))
i
I also used my (7yr old) sister's kiddies hair 'grease' but it's made from loads of 'good' oil like, almond oil, olive oil etc.. it's wonderful!

Cerendipity
11-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I prepoo , henna, wash , deepcondition, and style

Usually 2 twice a month.

ccpalm
11-27-2009, 05:45 PM
A regimen I've adopted the past year is:
1. Once a month wash scalp with Dr. Bonner's castile soap.

2. Afterward spritz with a homemade leave in that includes 4 oz water, 2 tbsp olive oil and about 2 oz of conditioner (whatever brand I have on hand: Suave, VO5 or Herbal Essence).

3. Two strand twist my hair using one of two products: a) Qhemet's amla pomade. This by far is the best especially when I want a defined twist out that lasts for about 4 days. Or b) a homemade whipped pudding that includes: shea butter, coconut oil and castor oil. This is more readily accessible and affordable. The ingredients for the pudding can last me at least a year. I can use any of the oils to moisturize my hair and scalp when needed during the week.

4. Once a week I co-wash using Herbal Essence Totally Twisted and repeat steps 2 & 3.

Believe me this is very simplified for me because I once got caught up in trying a lot of suggestions made on this site. I've learned to just keep the regimen simple with simple products. Hope this helps others.

mymy
11-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Well, my routine is simple, but I have been doing it for about a year now.

I wash my hair in twists, redo them weekly and I keep the same parts.
shampoo: Chagrin Valley bars, add olive oil to the last lather
style: shealoe
moisturize (as needed during the week): KBB hair milk
deep condition (as needed/monthly): AO honeysuckle rose

winnie
11-28-2009, 04:01 AM
I'm so glad you posted this Syrel. I've majorly downsized my routine. I call it the "too lazy to twist" routine, lol. Basically, I wash my hair with either QB's Wheatgrass Cleansing Tea, KC's Come Clean or one of my shampoo bars (whatever's hanging out in the shower). I then slather on Pantene Relaxed and Natural's Deep Conditioning Treatment (I use it purely for the slip) and detangle my hair in the shower. Each section is placed in a big twist once detangled. I usually end up w/ six. I rinse out the conditioner with the twists in. Then I pile them on top of my head w/a claw clip (this helps keep them from drying out so I don't have to re-wet w/ a spray bottle) I take down one twist at a time, apply a glob of QB and go. After my entire head is done, I place my hair into two ponytails secured by claw clips, tie it up with a scarf and go to bed. The next day my hair is still wet so I just put it up w/ a big claw clip and go. After that I let it down and just wear it. As the week goes by, my hair slowly goes form nap-curly to nap-fluffy. I usually wash once a week. I realize that written out it appears like a lot but it's basically, wash->condition/detangle->moisturize->Go. From start to finish, it takes about 45 minutes. Because I'm not twisting my hair up afterwards I do experience a lot more shrinkage but I'm cool with it. I can't remember the last time I wore a twist-out (which was my favorite style).

~GAN~
11-28-2009, 01:00 PM
I'm making an effort to wash once a week. That's it. :)

~MsNappy09~
11-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I thought my routine was simple, but GAN got me beat :p

My routine consists of co-washing weekly with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (DC at least once a month) and spritzing daily. Last time I checked, I had about 5/6 inches.

Syrel
11-30-2009, 03:35 AM
I thought my routine was simple, but GAN got me beat :p

My routine consists of co-washing weekly with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration (DC at least once a month) and spritzing daily. Last time I checked, I had about 5/6 inches.

GAN, girl you have EVERYBODY beat! I envy the fact that you don't have to add moisture!! Mail that hair to me RIGHT NOW! :D

Psyann
11-30-2009, 03:48 AM
So my routine as of lately has been simple. I cowash with Suave Coconut Naturals mixed (in my hand) with olive oil in the shower. Then after I blot with my sham wow, I add cantu shea butter. That's it. I do that ever 2 days. I My hair gets really dry, so I can't go more than 2 days without washing, because spritzing seems to leave my hair either sticky, or crunchy. I did love the aloe vera juice in my sprintzer, but in this old dry weather, sprintzing just doesn't work. Syrel, what brand curl activator do you use? I've been meaning to ask you that for some time.

Syrel
11-30-2009, 05:18 AM
Syrel, what brand curl activator do you use? I've been meaning to ask you that for some time.

I've been using Long Aid curl activator gel for extra dry hair. It's a clear gel in a fat jar for less than $6 at CVS here in MD. I tried a liquid gel--Carefree Curl brand, I think--and I like it in my spritz bottled mixed with water, but I need that thick gel to coat my snag-prone open cuticles.

Psyann
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM
I've been using Long Aid curl activator gel for extra dry hair. It's a clear gel in a fat jar for less than $6 at CVS here in MD. I tried a liquid gel--Carefree Curl brand, I think--and I like it in my spritz bottled mixed with water, but I need that thick gel to coat my snag-prone open cuticles.

Thank you. I will check that out once I use up this cantu. I have promised myself I wasn't going to turn into a product junkie. lol

Syrel
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you. I will check that out once I use up this cantu. I have promised myself I wasn't going to turn into a product junkie. lol

Let me know how the CA gel works for you. Does your current product contain oil? I wouldn't mind checking some other products, but oil-based products make my face break out in painful pimples and usually don't help my hair.

Danjaruz4679
11-30-2009, 03:33 PM
While my regimen is pretty simple in my opinion, my product situation is not.

This is mainly because I believe changing up products regularly keeps my hair from getting too used to one thing and thus becoming immune to it.

For example, for my conditioner, I alternate between one conditioner with tea tree oil as the primary ingredient and one with macadamia nut oil as the primary ingredient. Same effect on my hair, but different products. I also don't mind spending money on quality products, but I am learning now how to reproduce the effects of the products with more natural ingredients. I'm also focused on patronizing Black-owned businesses more.

My reggie (when Im not playing around and having fun with my hair) is simple. Sunday is hair day lol

Shampoo with Burt's Bees in 5-6 big braids (2 minutes $4.99)--I do this once or twice a month
Condition and detangle each section with either Organix tea tree mint or Renpure moisturixing condish (10 minutes $6.99 a bottle)
DC with Garnier Triple nutrition 3 minute undo mask blended and warmed with jojoba and grapeseed oils (30-45 minutes under shower cap and towel. $3.99/ 2.99/ .99)
Moisturize with either HB castor oil or a new "goo" I made which is warmed/softened shea butter, aloe vera gel, and grapeseed oil (15 minutes $3.99/ 5/ 4.99/ .99).
Lightly coat (or seal) with an oil blend of shea, cocoa, aloe vera, and tea tree oils (1 minute $.99 each).
Style for the week (twists, braids, or bun--various times)

(main variation is an ACV rinse every other week)

Now it may seem like a lot, but doing it only once a week is why its all good lol

littlefish
11-30-2009, 10:12 PM
Oh yes. There's nothing quite like having virtually all your hair cut off to simplify your routine. LOL

Actually, it's not as simple as it could be. Because my ultrashort locks are prone to frizz, I take the time to comb some pomade through small sections. It helps define my little twirls and curls and keeps things in place.

Angelyc
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
My current routine:

Co-Wash Sundays - I rotate Aussie Moist, Giovanni 50:50, Or NourishSpa

Palmer's Olive Oil Hair Milk through damp hair.

Style (usually in a braids for braidout)

Elasta QP Mango Hair Butter on my ends of my braids.

every other day I'll spritz it with some water.

Rita Joyce
12-01-2009, 02:33 AM
When I was permed I went to beauty parlor for washes. I have learned to do this for myself. Not only have I saved moolah but once a week I wash condition and moisturize. Air dry. Ready to go to work! How simple is that! I'm still learning but that is part of the fun of it.

Nappytoytoy
12-01-2009, 02:56 AM
I go to the shop & get comb coils once every 3 weeks. In between time, I spray it 3-4 times a day with oil-water mix & tie it wip with a satin scarf at night.

Plain & simple.

When I first began my natural journey, I felt I had something to prove. I went through billions of changes. Now, I'm just gonna enjoy the journey & be happy with what God blessed me with.

Angkin73
12-02-2009, 01:17 AM
I have tried to make mine as simple as i can.

1. co-wash once a week, twice if needed.
2. add ic leave-in moisturizer (extra dry hair formula)
3. then add either ic silky gel moisturizer activator or shea butter mix
4. Spritz daily
I wash every two weeks with nexxus aloe rid gentle clarifying shampoo. Every two months do a Henna treatment.

jerseygurl
12-02-2009, 01:56 AM
My routine:

Co-wash hair in big twists every 5 days

Take down twists one by one, gently detangle

Apply Carefree Curl Activator to each section

Keep it moving

Total time = 1.5 hours

No deep conditioning, no concoctions, no henna-ing

Syrel
12-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I have tried to make mine as simple as i can.

1. co-wash once a week, twice if needed.
2. add ic leave-in moisturizer (extra dry hair formula)
3. then add either ic silky gel moisturizer activator or shea butter mix
4. Spritz daily
I wash every two weeks with nexxus aloe rid gentle clarifying shampoo. Every two months do a Henna treatment.

I like the IC gel for holding, but didn't know they made a leave-in moisturizer nor the activator. I'll have to look for those products! Is the IC activator sticky?

MissNic
12-02-2009, 03:59 PM
My routine has simplified greatly i only wash&condition once a week now and my routine consists of
1. In shower wash hair with a Poo Bar my fav at the moment is the Rhassoul poo bar from Akua Wood.
2. Apply a genorous amount of Tesco's Jojoba & Balsam conditioner i finger detangle then add some more condish and use my shower comb.
3. rinse then apply Herbal Essences Its a curl thing conditioner while i finish showering. Then a quick rinse.
4.Step out apply Moringa pomade (by akua wood) to soaking wet hair.
5. Do about 10 big twists with my shea butter mix and leave to dry.
Result= big curly hair that lasts a week and i can style in a variety of ways or jus leave it be. if hair starts to get dry i will apply moringa pomade and do some big twists mid week for bed.
I do monthly henna treatments, and add deep conditioning or ACV rinses to the above routine whenever necessary

Angkin73
12-03-2009, 03:44 AM
@ Syrel, I don't think its sticky. I makes me think of slightly damp hair with a little conditioner on it. I really just started using it 2 days ago, and because of the rainy weather and the glycerin in it, my hair hasn't had a chance to really dry all the way. I don't mind though. I will say it seems to weigh my hair down a tad, but that doesn't bother me either. My hair likes it and it's so soft. Also the activator has aloe in it. I forgot to mention that.

Lish
12-03-2009, 04:58 AM
My routine got really simple since I started my new job. I don't cowash daily anymore and my hair is just fine. I just use my spray bottle of water. This saves me so much time and its easier to detangle in sections.

Syrel
12-03-2009, 06:07 PM
@ Syrel, I don't think its sticky. I makes me think of slightly damp hair with a little conditioner on it. I really just started using it 2 days ago, and because of the rainy weather and the glycerin in it, my hair hasn't had a chance to really dry all the way. I don't mind though. I will say it seems to weigh my hair down a tad, but that doesn't bother me either. My hair likes it and it's so soft. Also the activator has aloe in it. I forgot to mention that.

Thank you Ang. I'll see if I can find the IC activator.

CinnamonBiscuit
12-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Rinse my hair regularly, wash at least once a week, re-twist my roots about once a month, no other products. Leaving my hair alone is easy for me.

GoodT
12-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I've always been an advocate of less is best with my hair... it thrives when I keep it simple... I've been co-washing 2x a week with Nature's Gate Pomegranate Sunflower conditioner... Each night I put shea butter on sections of my hair to keep my hair soft... that's it...