PDA

View Full Version : What...a loc challenge!!

star13
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Alright, I've been holding off on this for a while. But does anymore want to do a hide your locs challenge.
The purpose would be to focus on things other than your locs and give them a chance to do their thing. Or to give yourself some relief from hand in the loc disease.

The duration of the challenge will be from 3 months to a year. I'm going until my loc anniversary in March.

You can do one last thing to your locs, wash, twist whatever. However for the duration of the challenge your locs should be covered 80% of the time. The only time the should be uncovered is for washing every two weeks or once a month. It is also ok to spritz once a day.

So is anyone interested in this or a modified version of this. I'm mostly talking to newbies and teens. Who wants to wrap it up.:D

AuNappturale
11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
This sounds interesting. I've heard of ladies covering their locs for long periods of time, but what are you covering with? Headwraps? How do those go over at work? I think a head wrap/hat/tam would be distracting initially, but I've never tried it. Anyone?

star13
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
This sounds interesting. I've heard of ladies covering their locs for long periods of time, but what are you covering with? Headwraps? How do those go over at work? I think a head wrap/hat/tam would be distracting initially, but I've never tried it. Anyone?

I'm just wearing a regular scarf. I'm a college student so I don't really have to worry, I can even wear it when I work. But you're right I didn't think about people that have actual jobs:(, I think if it's just a normal black scarf and not very elaborate or distracting it wouldn't be a problem. My bad.:(

CorporateNapps
11-30-2009, 12:49 AM
This would be interesting to me. But I don't think I can get away with this at work. It may be more personal preference than anything. But if covering the hair is not for religious purposes, I don't see employees doing this at my job. Now, I have thrown on a solid tam when it's cold outside, usually a Friday, when we dress more casual. I will think about this one.

xotica
11-30-2009, 01:01 AM
I'm interested even tho I'm a wise old mature adult loc'er..rofl. However, I'd need somebody to come twist em up for me 1 last time. Seeing as I REFUSE. If anybody would like to volunteer to play all in my head then I'll be into it. otherwise, I have to think about it.

Sounds good though.

star13
11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
I'm interested even tho I'm a wise old mature adult loc'er..rofl. However, I'd need somebody to come twist em up for me 1 last time. Seeing as I REFUSE. If anybody would like to volunteer to play all in my head then I'll be into it. otherwise, I have to think about it.

Sounds good though.

*raises hand

I live too far away, otherwise I would love to help. I've got plenty of practice with retwists even though I latch now.

AuNappturale
11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
MAN, I wish I could do this. I know NK hides her locs for long stretches of time. I'd love to hide mine and be wowed at the progress when I finally take them out of hiding. Hmmm, I'll have to think of an alternative so's I can participate.

reese8705
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
This sounds like an interesting challenge, but the longest I've ever kept my hair wrapped is 5-6 days. I'd be willing to try for at least a month though. Chi-town does have some pretty harsh winters so December thru February would be a wonderful time to protect my locs from the elements.

Meanwhile, star13, please keep us updated on how covering your locs works for you. I'd love to hear about the end results of your challenge.

nnebekee
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM
errr, i think I will opt for a modified version of the challenge. One, the holidays are coming up towards the end of December two, it is a bit too early for me for a reti (did one earlier this month), and three, I am not much of a headwrap person except on bad/lazy hair days.

Sooooo....I plan not to retwist/latch my hair before leaving for the holidays....the 18th of December...I know, it's a puny challenge - but I gotsta have my shine on during the holidays.:))

Already have my hair up in a protective style (bantu knots or do you call them china bumps...their growing on me - though I HATED them when I was loose)

Will join y'all full force come January 2010.

nnebekee
11-30-2009, 01:46 AM
MAN, I wish I could do this. I know NK hides her locs for long stretches of time. I'd love to hide mine and be wowed at the progress when I finally take them out of hiding. Hmmm, I'll have to think of an alternative so's I can participate.

want to join me in protective styling?

AuNappturale
11-30-2009, 05:22 AM
want to join me in protective styling?What doesn't protective styling look like for locs? Right now I do nothing. Is that protective?

xotica
11-30-2009, 05:53 AM
*raises hand

I live too far away, otherwise I would love to help. I've got plenty of practice with retwists even though I latch now.

aww, i wish you really could. i'm basically freeforming at this point. i just refuuusseee!

biggrapp
11-30-2009, 10:59 AM
i actually think i'm gonna accept your challenge, miss. i'm laid off so i don't have to worry about job interference and i'm a student so as most of you know anything goes in the classroom as long as you aren't "too" nekkid. yeah, what the hey. i'm in. i'm gonna try it for 3 months. maybe even 6 since that's all i have left for school. yep, i'm in. let's go.

CinnamonBiscuit
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
That's how I live life everyday. I've always got my head covered.

Except, today I have a job interview. So instead my hair will only be partially covered.

Gorgeouslocs
11-30-2009, 04:07 PM
Lovely idea star13! This definitely would be an interesting challenge but right now, I know I can't participate....:(

star13
11-30-2009, 05:25 PM
i actually think i'm gonna accept your challenge, miss. i'm laid off so i don't have to worry about job interference and i'm a student so as most of you know anything goes in the classroom as long as you aren't "too" nekkid. yeah, what the hey. i'm in. i'm gonna try it for 3 months. maybe even 6 since that's all i have left for school. yep, i'm in. let's go.

I got one:D Hooray for the laid back student world. It' s me and you biggrapp})

Fuesha
11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
I would love too but i cant. Head covering wont fly in the corporate world. The only thing i could think to do would be to do a protective style of kinky twist over my locs and even that i dont think i wanna mess with cause i can just see me trying to taking them down man!

nnebekee
11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
What doesn't protective styling look like for locs? Right now I do nothing. Is that protective?

Yeah, whenever I do nothing with my locs (which is what i have been doing since I started) I end up with the urge to play in my hair. I have hand-in-loc disease to the max - i rinse daily, so that is another opportunity to play in it. I find myself fretting about the progress of my locs when I just leave them hanging - maybe this may not be an issue for you - but leaving them alone is killing me.

Protective styles, if I maintain enough discpline to leave them in for at least a week at a time, would be like wrapping it up in a headscarf. My baby locs are a bit shorter than yours, and I believe we have similar textures (and yes, rinsing often seems to have made them loc a bit faster or at least look more loc'ed like). Protective styles I have done in the past include two french braids (can't get it into one yet), half pony tail, half down, pony tail with a head band (to keep the short ones in front down. Over the weekend I put in bantu knots. There are updos, cornrows etc.

star13
11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, whenever I do nothing with my locs (which is what i have been doing since I started) I end up with the urge to play in my hair. I have hand-in-loc disease to the max - i rinse daily, so that is another opportunity to play in it. I find myself fretting about the progress of my locs when I just leave them hanging - maybe this may not be an issue for you - but leaving them alone is killing me.

Protective styles, if I maintain enough discpline to leave them in for at least a week at a time, would be like wrapping it up in a headscarf. My baby locs are a bit shorter than yours, and I believe we have similar textures (and yes, rinsing often seems to have made them loc a bit faster or at least look more loc'ed like). Protective styles I have done in the past include two french braids (can't get it into one yet), half pony tail, half down, pony tail with a head band (to keep the short ones in front down. Over the weekend I put in bantu knots. There are updos, cornrows etc.

You sound like me a little over 8 months ago. I've rinsed my loc basically everyday since I started them. I can't say that it has made my hair lock faster, because I have nothing to compare it to. More recently I could not keep my hands out of them. Anytime I was bored my hands would end up in locs. That's why I thought covering would be a good idea. I'm basically wearing a protective style under my scarf, because my locs were actually too abundant and too long to fit under the scarf without be secured first.

lilbuster20
11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Im down wit it!! Im gettin my locs braided again for my sister's wedding in 2 weeks. Then after that, Im in!!

Alisondra
11-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Yikes...I can't go two weeks without washing my hair. A month??? No way. Call me a wimp, I'll be that! :D

Oh well, I'm not a newbie or a teen anyway so I'll lurk around and watch your progress.

Best wishes!

Dovechild20
12-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Not a newbie or a teen anymore, but I wish I could do this challenge, but like pps, the corporate world would never allow it. :-|

Natural Kinks
12-01-2009, 12:37 AM
I'll join you. My locs are mature and I just started covering daily again last week so I'm already in. It's very beneficial and LONG overdue. I will keep them covered for at least 3 months maybe longer. I only uncover to work out, at night to go to bed and on wash day once a week.

nnebekee
12-01-2009, 01:21 AM
^^^beneficial - how?

You sound like me a little over 8 months ago. I've rinsed my loc basically everyday since I started them. I can't say that it has made my hair lock faster, because I have nothing to compare it to. More recently I could not keep my hands out of them. Anytime I was bored my hands would end up in locs. That's why I thought covering would be a good idea. I'm basically wearing a protective style under my scarf, because my locs were actually too abundant and too long to fit under the scarf without be secured first.

ahhh, one day, i will have that problem....:))

star13
12-01-2009, 03:30 AM
Yikes...I can't go two weeks without washing my hair. A month??? No way. Call me a wimp, I'll be that! :D

Oh well, I'm not a newbie or a teen anyway so I'll lurk around and watch your progress.

Best wishes!

I must confess, I wore my scarf to the gym today, and when I was done my hair stank:o, and itched like crazy there was build up everywhere. So I went ahead and washed it. I'm not going to use my spritz anymore, and hopefully that will curb the build up long enough for me to get two weeks in between washing.

ahhh, one day, i will have that problem....:))

Ha, don't be fooled, locing has been very good to my hair, it noticeably grows like crazy, the abundance is just because I have thick hair.

Miss Concrete Jungle
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Another corporate america locker checkin in..I'd love to do this one too..I wouldn't mind doing protective styles, but some of my locs still unravel...any suggestions?

biggrapp
12-01-2009, 09:03 PM

Best wishes!

noooooo, babe. that's not what she meant. at least i HOPE not.:huh:
my understanding is that it's pretty much hygiene, whatever kind of hair care then wrap/cover it. if not i'm gonna have to pass too. :(

star13
12-01-2009, 11:40 PM
noooooo, babe. that's not what she meant. at least i HOPE not.:huh:
my understanding is that it's pretty much hygiene, whatever kind of hair care then wrap/cover it. if not i'm gonna have to pass too. :(

I did state that anyone could do their own modified version. If you want to wash your hair and then wrap it up for the day that's cool too. I'm going to keep washing mine because I like it, and wear my wrap during the day and night. It must just be the youtube lockers who don't wash more than 2 weeks or a month.:p

Mz Bajan
12-02-2009, 12:57 AM
This sounds cool so I'm in too. My hair has been tied up all day, I'm not sure I can sleep with it tied thou but I'll try to keep it on tonight and if I cant I'll just take it off to sleep n off to wash once or twice a week....... imma try to go till March, wish me luck cuz I've never been gd with keeping my hair confined

minacakes
12-02-2009, 01:40 AM
I recently wore a wrap for the very first time and LOVED it!!! i can't wear it at work but i won't be at this job much longer anyway so i'm game to wear the wrap every weekend!!!

i'm already pretty low maintenance anyway. I just wash every few days, spritz every day and then go...but i do suffer from HIL disease

biggrapp
12-02-2009, 03:16 AM
I did state that anyone could do their own modified version. If you want to wash your hair and then wrap it up for the day that's cool too. I'm going to keep washing mine because I like it, and wear my wrap during the day and night. It must just be the youtube lockers who don't wash more than 2 weeks or a month.:p
yeah they be trippin' with they stankin' @$$.

star13
12-02-2009, 03:51 AM
yeah they be trippin' with they stankin' @$$.

I had to stop watching one chick after she said "dirty hair locs better" in one of her videos.

nnebekee
12-02-2009, 04:53 AM
i think i have a problem....one of my bantu knots "accidentally" came out - and I ended up playing in them....anyway, taking them down and leaving in a pseudoponytail til Friday, when I'll wash and put the knots back in. this is harder than i thought...errrgggghh...

biggrapp
12-02-2009, 05:07 PM
I had to stop watching one chick after she said "dirty hair locs better" in one of her videos.

ol' nasty heffa. :-|

NaturalgurlAZ
12-04-2009, 09:12 PM
I'm game...I am already on day 3 :p
I will keep mine wrapped up most of the day. I take it off when I'm done leaving the house. Then when I go to bed I try and keep it wrapped up then. We'll see how it goes.
Using scarves, tams, and headwraps :))

locd-n-loaded
12-06-2009, 01:02 AM
I'm in also. I loc'd in September but have been keeping them underwraps since then. I only wear them out in the eve and on the weekends at home. My goal is to keep them covered/protected until March. This challenge should be a piece a cake. :)

star13
12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm also adding protective styling as part of this challenge, if you can't or don't want to wear a scarf, but still want to participate. In my quest to fit my loc comfortably under mu scarf I have come up with a good one. My locs are at an awkward length where I get a lot of tension if I don't put them up right before putting the scarf on. It reminds me of the headaches I used to get from putting my loose hair in a puff.

CinnamonBiscuit
12-06-2009, 05:58 PM

As crazy as that is, a lot of people still think that hair has to be dirty to loc. I remember my aunt was shocked to find out I regularly rinse my hair and wash it. I wash it more than she does with her relaxed hair. She was genuinely surprised when I told her clean hair locs faster. I've had other relatives also ask me if I could wash my hair. It's funny because I wash my hair more than all of them.