PDA

View Full Version : 7 months of transitioning down the drain due to ignorance

BajanKelly
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Ladies . . . I finally did it. I went to the salon and got the BIG CHOP but not without some drama.

I went to a salon that advertised that they did natural hair although not exclusively. I felt confident having an African stylist thinking she would understand my hair better than another ethnicity but my confidence was misplaced. I had three inches of new growth of varying textures. I have crazy hair, some of it is wavy, some curly and some kinky. Do you believe the woman tried cutting out my wavy hair? I asked her what she was doing, she told me that the hair was straight to the roots and obviously hadn't grown out and she would have to cut off all of my hair.

People, my last relaxer was in MAY! What do you mean my hair hadn't grown in SEVEN MONTHS!!!! I tried to explain to her it is just that my hair is a different texture in the top and middle of my head but she was not getting it. In the end, I just got her to even it out and my lovely 3 inches that I so lovingly tended to become 1/2 inch.

I had gone through so much angst to get my hair to be a certain length before I cut it and all of my effort disappeared because the OWNER of a beauty salon did not realise that I could have more than one texture. I am still amazed at how she was insisting that in seven months of no relaxers that the straighter parts of my hair were not new growth. Furthermore, she washed my hair then sprayed it with something you would use on relaxed hair, so my hair looked frizzy and dry. I had to fix it up when I got home so I could finally see my beautiful curls, coils and kinks!

Anyway, c'est la vie. I am still rocking my TWA, and I look hot . . . if I do say so myself. :D

canidoit
12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Wow, I hope you didn't tip her lol. Why can't some of these stylist do what they are told? It's not like they are doing US a favor, we're the ones paying THEM. I'm glad I did my own BC

Congrats, and i'm glad you like it anyway!

nappyqueen05
12-01-2009, 09:39 PM
?She sounds like she knew very little about natural hair. All of us here know about the ten different textures you can find on any one of our heads. She needs to become a member of NP before she tries to give another nappy a BC!

Miss Dee Dee
12-01-2009, 10:01 PM
just b/c they are Black doesn't mean they know what they are doing :-| glad you're loving how it turned out though!

~MsNappy09~
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
I would have gotten up and left!! How are you going to tell me what MY hair is?? SMDH.

But I'm glad you like it though...I want to see pics :)

Tigeress
12-01-2009, 10:44 PM
The woman who did my chop for me is a little Vietnamese lady who I trust more with my hair than a lot of other black stylist. I'm sorry you had a bad experience especially because you grew your hair out for a long while beforehand. When the stylist isn't listening to you it's time to bounce because you most likely won't be completely happy with the outcome.

Ms-gg
12-02-2009, 12:04 AM
When the stylist isn't listening to you it's time to bounce because you most likely won't be completely happy with the outcome.

I agree! That is why I avoid hair shops like the plague. Congrats on the bc! I want to see too!

juniormints
12-02-2009, 12:35 AM
I would have gotten up and left!! How are you going to tell me what MY hair is?? SMDH.

ITA. Some stylists feel like they aren't really doing hair unless they cut off about a foot of it :(o).

Well, I'm glad that you're still happy with the results, BajanKelly. Here's to seven more months of growth without the scissors~happy stylist lurking in the shadows. :hugs: :))

Claire76
12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
I am still rocking my TWA, and I look hot . . . if I do say so myself. :D

Awesome, girl. Stay positive!!

Just the other night I caught myself vexed over my TWA and What Might Have Been if I hadn't screwed up.

Say it with me now:"It'll grow back, it'll grow back, it'll grow back!!";)

mymy
12-02-2009, 12:38 AM
When the stylist isn't listening to you it's time to bounce because you most likely won't be completely happy with the outcome.
I couldn't agree more.

jbarnes111
12-02-2009, 01:46 AM
I like your attitude...Rock that TWA girl!

MSANTOS99
12-02-2009, 01:47 AM

But I'm glad you like it though...I want to see pics :)

I totally agree MsNappy09! I would have rolled out! But congratulations on your BC, don't let that ignorant hair stylist ruin your celebration!:))

catelove
12-02-2009, 02:03 AM
OMG. I can totally relate. I have so many hair horror stories. So called hair care professionals rarely listen or know what they are talking about. The guy who did by bc told me that I still had relaxer in my ends and it needed to come out. I've been natural for at least 6 years. I had a barber cut several inches off my hair because he was lazy and I was ignorant, and didn't want to trim my hair using scissors but the clippers. I feel you have to really search for a good stylist.

star13
12-02-2009, 03:05 AM
I know that feeling. However a 1/2 inch twa doesn't look that different from a 3 inch twa, it'll grow back in no time.

BajanKelly
12-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the positive feedback, ladies. I had tried posting pics but it said something about a URL. Can someone tell me how to post pics from file?

BajanKelly
12-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The woman who did my chop for me is a little Vietnamese lady who I trust more with my hair than a lot of other black stylist. I'm sorry you had a bad experience especially because you grew your hair out for a long while beforehand. When the stylist isn't listening to you it's time to bounce because you most likely won't be completely happy with the outcome.

Normally I would agree with you but she was halfway through cutting before opening her mouth and exposing her incompetence. LOL.

cocoacurly
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
i'm sorry that happened, "stylists" can be so ignorant sometimes
glad you like it though!
pics please!! :D

this makes me more glad that i bc'd myself
that was my teenage way of being independent >_<

TikiB
12-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Congrats on the BC! You're definitely starting you journey with a great attitude.

BajanKelly
12-03-2009, 12:25 AM
If someone could tell me how to upload photos from my pc I would gladly post. I tried the 'insert image' button but I don't have a URL to post from . . .

legslikewhoa
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
i would've left and done my own bc.

congrats on now being natural!♥

lsubabiedee
12-08-2009, 01:24 AM
congrats on the BC!

when i did my own bc, i kept cutting for weeks b/c i thought the straight hairs were permed ends. they weren't :D

you live and you learn. a stylist should know better tho.

Syrel
12-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Glad you ended up with a happy ending. (Or is that a happy beginning?)

Cheers,

ac22ford
12-08-2009, 02:53 AM
Wow, what a fool that lady was. But we won't let her stomp on your parade! Congrats!!!!!!

To post pics, I go to tinypic.com and upload the image (changing size if needed). Then I copy the code that says for message boards or forums (something like that). And paste in thread. HTH.

Can't wait to see :)

BajanKelly
01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Wow, what a fool that lady was. But we won't let her stomp on your parade! Congrats!!!!!!

To post pics, I go to tinypic.com and upload the image (changing size if needed). Then I copy the code that says for message boards or forums (something like that). And paste in thread. HTH.

Can't wait to see :)
Thanks. I am not on the pc with the pics right now but when I am I will try that! I don't get online as often these days but I will try to post by the end of the week. Blessings to you all for 2010 and thanks for the positive feedback!!!

pelogrueso
01-06-2010, 01:46 AM
more love, BajanKelly, congratulations on your BC! What a great choice you've made to go napptural! Sorry the BC left you with less than you wanted, but I bet it looks fab!

BajanKelly
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Hope this works!!!

http://i48.tinypic.com/2mxomti.jpg

http://i47.tinypic.com/29m3n9l.jpg

Ironically, I am liking the TWA so much I am going to the barber today for a shape and taper a month after I was mentally cursing THAT WOMAN for shearing off my carefully nurtured tresses. God moves in mysterious ways.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i47.tinypic.com/29m3n9l.jpg%5B/IMG%5D http://www.nappturality.com/forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i50.tinypic.com/6okaxh.jpg%5B/IMG%5D

Muzikal203
01-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Your curls are beautiful! But me and that stylist would have had to fight, forreal. I'm going to go to my regular stylist for my BC, she's natural herself and she knows how I feel about cutting my hair, so she won't screw up (plus, she generally knows what she's doing as a stylist).

~GAN~
01-06-2010, 02:51 PM
If someone could tell me how to upload photos from my pc I would gladly post. I tried the 'insert image' button but I don't have a URL to post from . . .

I just saw you posted your pix so nevermind! =) Your hair looks great! :D

ya~akua
01-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the BC!!! :)

bzcitybeauty
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Girl we have no natural stylists here! But what she did was without conscience and knowledge..But the good thing about it is that when the hair is cust or even trimmed it grows back faster and you can continue to monitor it and use treatments like egg and mayo mixture before you co-wash and watch it grow back in no time..Also try keeping it in styles that you don't need to fuss with much so you! Your nappy sisters are in support of you all the way k!!!!

BajanKelly
03-27-2010, 07:20 PM
Girl we have no natural stylists here! But what she did was without conscience and knowledge..But the good thing about it is that when the hair is cust or even trimmed it grows back faster and you can continue to monitor it and use treatments like egg and mayo mixture before you co-wash and watch it grow back in no time..Also try keeping it in styles that you don't need to fuss with much so you! Your nappy sisters are in support of you all the way k!!!!

Thanks! I've been ill so I have not been on for a while. I appreciate all the positivity!

chocolynne
03-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I have had 2 different African stylists hate on my natural hair. One was a Liberian woman who tried to rip it out to put braids in, the whole time complaining about "where did you get this hair? I've never seen anything this tight!" Yeah, that was years ago when I was living in Chicago. I'm so over braids now because of it. The most recent one was this woman from Ghana in a braid/weave shop here in Amsterdam with one of the worst looking weaves I've seen. Like glue on top of it. :\ She told me that they could try to style my natural hair but on 2nd thought, my hair "is TOO natural." I just go there to buy shea butter and I think I will limit it to that.

melissa-bee
03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Woah, i'm about 7.5 months now and have less than 3 inches. I would have been pissed, makes you think why you didn't big chop at 1 month post, if it was gonna turn out to be that short.

witchsistah
03-27-2010, 10:35 PM
The thing is African-Americans (those of us descended from Southern slaves or free people of color here in the U.S.--and you can really extend that to Black folk in the Western Hemisphere) are mixed raced people. Yes, even those of us who look good 'n' Negro. And because of our various admixtures, our skin color, facial features and hair textures vary. I know we've all seenin our very own families with siblings who all had the same Black bio momma and daddy. And yes, we can and often do have more than one texture on our heads to deal with and those textures can vary wildly.

Some Black folk, especially if they're from a pretty homogenous group, may not get that. To them, "mixed" may mean you had a non-Black parent and possess certain features they associate with "bi-racial Black." So the straighter textures in our hair may look chemically manipulated to them even if they haven't been for years.

Crescendo
03-28-2010, 01:00 AM
just b/c they are Black doesn't mean they know what they are doing :-| glad you're loving how it turned out though!

truer words were never spoken. I know that it took a lot of time and active research for me to finally know how to care for my hair. I am now teaching my mom all of the things I know.