PDA

View Full Version : Dominican Blowout

jlo
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Ok. I have been hearing alot of different answers...some say its ok, and some say stay away. What do you think??? I want to get my hair straightened for the first time in a year and I was considering getting it done today. Looked at a video on you tube and the heat coming from the blow dryer looked really hot. I dont want to damage my hair. My hair type is 4B, very coarse and thick. :(

Ms-gg
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
http://nappturality.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=54

the link doesn't work but it is a thread that napia mia posted that talked about what happens when your hair is damaged by heat. Look at the top of this forum, there is a heat archive section, napia mia's thread is the first one. It is very eye opening. Also here is a subheading from the heat archive section of this forum:
Thinking about using a heat straightening tool for that special occasion, or just once in a while? Russian Roulette anyone?
Read this archive before you put that comb on the stove. Archive Only.

Cerendipity
12-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi, Your hair of course is your own hair. The choice is up to you in the end. Have you tried banding or stretching?

Nappturality doesnt advocate the use of heat styling or talking about ways to alter the texture using heat or chemicals. Its listed at the bottom of every page when you submit a new post or thread topic

"We don't allow posting about the benefits of relaxing your hair because at Nappturality, there are no benefits. Post which discuss how to change your hair's texture or straighten it will be deleted. Personal attacks or posts we see as hateful will get you banned"

Ms-gg
12-02-2009, 04:25 PM
And let me just add to answer your question, from what I have read on the internet, they use very high heat to scorch your hair straight. I wouldn't let them come near me with a ten foot pole. "No se me acerque!"

Danjaruz4679
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
"Post which discuss how to change your hair's texture or straighten it will be deleted"

Which is interesting because we can discuss roller sets which straighten and change the hair texture.

jlo
12-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks ladies... no heat for me, just canceled my appointment.

Cerendipity
12-02-2009, 04:56 PM
"Post which discuss how to change your hair's texture or straighten it will be deleted"

Which is interesting because we can discuss roller sets which straighten and change the hair texture.

Rollersets on my type of hair turn out puffy, no where near straight, but thats me speaking for myself. However twistsout,braidsout.....any style other than washing and leaving it alone changes the hair texture...... I think its more the mentality behind "wanting to alter it than the style"

Ms-gg
12-02-2009, 05:14 PM
I agree with you Cerendipity. It is the mentality. Plus you can do a rollerset and let it airdry, thus, it does not require the use of heat. It is a safe alternative, because heat damages the hair. Period.

I am glad you canceled your appointment. I was reading a blog about a dominican blowout and the girl said she was crying because of the heat but she would do it again?

Mojito Chica
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Rollers do not have the potential to permanently alter the texture of your hair, whereas heat and the chemicals found in relaxers and texturizers do. Thread reported.

bhop13
12-02-2009, 05:28 PM

change in texture or not NP does not talk about heat and that's what this post it about...period.

Bunicornaces
12-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I'm guessing the moderator would be visiting this thread soon?
Good thinking cancelling your appointment, why the sad face at the end of your post?

MSANTOS99
12-02-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't see why... is not like anyobody is discussing "benefits" we are discussing the "cons" of heat styling....

jlo
12-02-2009, 05:42 PM
I agree with you Cerendipity. It is the mentality. Plus you can do a rollerset and let it airdry, thus, it does not require the use of heat. It is a safe alternative, because heat damages the hair. Period.

I am glad you canceled your appointment. I was reading a blog about a dominican blowout and the girl said she was crying because of the heat but she would do it again?

I was inspired by your fotki album and will be experimenting with some styles that you have done. Thanks for the inspiration and positive comments.

To everyone else I was unaware of the "no post about straightening hair policy" sorry. If you must report my thread then ok.

jlo
12-02-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm guessing the moderator would be visiting this thread soon?
Good thinking cancelling your appointment, why the sad face at the end of your post?

Sad face at end of quote was worry. I was nervous about the whole process just wanted to know if anyone had heard of damage done by this method before. I was in no way advocating straightening hair. No heat has touched my head for over a year.

jlo
12-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't see why... is not like anyobody is discussing "benefits" we are discussing the "cons" of heat styling....

Thank you. I had no idea It got this intense in forums

Cerendipity
12-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Its intense because haircare can be intense, it saddened my heart to realize all the nurturing I put into my hair and having to cut it off because I didnt know any better. Noone explained heat damage to me. I was lost as can be.

Thats why I come to NP, to educate myself and feel accepted just as I am, Nappy as all get out.

I love hair, any kind of hair and its better to be forewarned than disappointed in the end

Ms-gg
12-02-2009, 06:32 PM
I was inspired by your fotki album and will be experimenting with some styles that you have done. Thanks for the inspiration and positive comments.

To everyone else I was unaware of the "no post about straightening hair policy" sorry. If you must report my thread then ok.

Thanks hun :)) Let me know when you do them because I want to see :D No need to beat you up, you just asked an honest question and I gave you an honest answer. It's all love in here.

jackijae
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
i do NOT recommend this, i got it done ONCE and will NEVER do it again...they have your hair in there smoking, literally to get it straight...

mymy
12-02-2009, 07:58 PM

Rollersets don't change the texture, they change the appearance of your hair. For the majority of us, a rollerset still looks like nappy hair and no one would think otherwise.

LaynieX
12-02-2009, 08:29 PM
Yea..dominicans the the worst hair dresses in the world to me. When i went a couple of years ago.. They told me it was supposed to hurt.. Then the other black ladies around me who seemed like they knew the people had damaged, broken off ends.. Raggedy looking short hair.. And all the other dominicans hair was long.. Probably because they don't hate to work as much to straight the hair as us.. Thank goodness you changed your mind lol.

bhop13
12-02-2009, 08:41 PM
.wysiwyg { PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND: url(images/merhania/merhania_alt1.gif) #f9ddb6; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:visited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_avisited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:hover { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg A:active { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg_ahover { COLOR: #ff4400 } P { MARGIN: 0px } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } There is a ton of info here on how heat effects the hair.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Moderator Y
12-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Read the rules! Thread closed and moved to Blow Dry Archive.