PDA

View Full Version : 4 weeks in - I think something's happening

Huntress
12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey fellow napps,

Iíve been obsessing about the development of my locs and think something is happening. And Iím not sure if it normal or my hair just being special.

When I first got SLíd my hair started to fuzz up, which I expected. But now my hair is shrinking starting at the roots up to the tips. Also my ends that were now fuzzy have developed curls

Is this normal? Is this the process? I was expecting buds (which I have a few) and swelling but not this. Is that how the process works? Starts at the root and works up to the ends?

Check out the pictures or the attachements...

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=364
My hair is starting to get some shape and volume. You have to love nappy hair. Leave it alone and it does something special.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=366
Close up of the roots with a parting. Here hopefully you can see that the roots and shrinking and swelling.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=367
Roots and some curly tips. My hair has gone from 6-7" to 4-5"

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=39&pictureid=368
Stretched out SLs. Not sure why I needed this pic, but I just love to stare at my locs

Anyway any advise is greatly appreciated

chachadiva
12-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Sweetie, just relax. Your hair is just doing its thing. Let it be.

Honestly, I've had my SLs for 7 years. Everyone's hair takes to it differently. There is no right or wrong way for your hair to proceed. If they are not unraveling, then you are okay.

star13
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Sweetie, just relax. Your hair is just doing its thing. Let it be.

Honestly, I've had my SLs for 7 years. Everyone's hair takes to it differently. There is no right or wrong way for your hair to proceed. If they are not unraveling, then you are okay.

I agree.:D

Huntress
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Think I need to put the camera down and step away from the PC. I did a tonne of research into the initial locing, types of locs and end results but I forgot about the middle bit.

CinnamonBiscuit
12-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Nothing to worry about. I don't have SLs, but my hair has been doing the same thing. In the beginning, I could stretch out a loc and make it reach my upper back. Now, if I stretch out a loc it barely touches my shoulder. I'd be more worried if nothing was appening.

aishad
12-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I agree with Chachadiva. If nothing else, growing locs teaches patience. But it is fun to notice the changes happening on top of your head. This time around, I want to really enjoy this baby stage, because I do NOT anticipate going through it again.

Just relax. Before you know it, they'll be mature.

DeBe
12-08-2009, 02:51 PM
Another one agreeing with all the others, your hair sounds as if it's doing what it's meant to do. :)

My 3 1/2 yr old SLs did the very same.

DeBe

Huntress
12-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys all for the comments. I think as I'm very new to this, I'm over thinking things. I'm really not used to being patient, especially as before this I had kindy twist which give an instant look.

nnebekee
12-08-2009, 09:10 PM
i love, love LOVE texture shots....ok, i'm done...carry on...

dewdrop
12-15-2009, 03:10 AM
Your hair is doing what it's suppose to be doing. My hair acted the same way in the beginning and the more I obsessed about it (by trying to stretch the locs, fix them some how etc....not a good idea) the more I delayed the locking process. The moment I left them alone is when they really began to form into the beautiful locs that they are now. You'll be fine, just leave them alone and have patience.

QueenLocks
12-15-2009, 02:41 PM
Your pics look nice to me! Remember Afro hair will "shrink" and during the locking process, it will shrink and Lock! For most people, the first year the hair does not grow "down" but it shrinks up and thickens out. {I've seen this on members' blogs/albums where they show day 1, year 1, and then later yrs.} This is why locks require "Patience" and if you want that shoulder length {and beyond} hair, you need to be patient for at least 3+ years.

The method I choose this time around is allowing me "Not" to focus on my hair. This is the time to focus on the rest of your body/life. Wrap your hair up, or put on a tam, and don't fret over it. If you have to step away from the computer, camera, then do so.

Take Care~

thefineprint
12-15-2009, 10:08 PM
your hair looks fine! your locs will definitely shrink, swell and condense as they mature and it is all normal.

KnottyAuthor
12-16-2009, 05:34 PM
wow! awesome close ups! you're hair is doing great! even every head of sls look different from the next, so there's no telling where the journey may take you! have fun!