PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Shampoo

Llyons
05-14-2004, 10:59 PM
I'm new to locing and I'm trying to find the right shampoo. I was told by a family member to use a clarifying shampoo. I wash my hair every week with clarifying shampoo. I'm getting the feeling that this maybe a little too much and stripping my hair. My locs feel a little dry and most likely the shampoo is causing this. At first I thought if my hair was dried out it would help the locing process.
There's a lot of information out there on taking care of locs. A lot of info. is conflicting. Of course, everyone hair is different and we all have our own hair routines. This maybe the reason for the conflicting information. I'm still trying to learn what works best for me.

In general, I would like to know how often do you use a clarifying shampoo? I'm 4 months into my locing process. Is it okay for me to use a shampoo w/ conditioner or a moisturizing shampoo?

I'm off to Vegas for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your responses upon my return. I will need to wash all of the smoke from my hair. :)

Thank you guys for your input!

toy
05-14-2004, 11:16 PM
i use clarifying shampoo very infrequently--maybe every three months or so (if that often). although there are many shampoos you can choose from, my absolute favorite is link to Olive Oil Shampoo (http://caycecures.com/2004/page3.htm#oosh). i've been using it for about 1 1/2 years now (although i do occasionally switch up). it cleans well without drying out my hair, is very moisturizing, and doesn't produce any buildup. you can purchase it at health food stores as well.

Schiffon
05-14-2004, 11:31 PM
I was told that a clarifying shampoo should be followed my a moisturizing shampoo and that tip appears to be sensible.

There are several members who have used conditioners from the beginning. I will say that this defies the consensus. Conditioners typically can hinder locing and we also know of some horror stories of people using conditioners like ORS Mayo in the first year of locing and the locs slipping out as a result. I think it is better to hold of on traditional conditoners until the locs are more mature (better safe than sorry in my opinion). Many people use herbal rinses, which reportedly have a conditioning effect from the beginning, I think this is a safer option. Hot oil treatments are also a safer conditioning option, but be careful because you can overdo it (like anything else).

Back to clarifying, remember some clarifiers are stronger than others. Apple cider vinegar is a natural clarifier that many find milder than the store bought stuff. People make rinses of ACV and distilled water preferrably. The ACV rinse is too strong for my hair regardless of the ratio of ACV:H2O.

I use Giovanni Triple Tea Treat shampoo which is very affordable and gentle enough for me to use whenever I feel I need to. I don't use any product other than oil once a week. I wash my hair every 5-7 days and condition after every wash. I do one clarifying shampoo every other week, then follow with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner. Now, when I do the clarifying shampoo I apply it directly to my scalp and concentrate it there. I only let the clarifying shampoo touch my actual hair once every three months or so. It's a rarity.

How often to clarify is dictated by your product usage, frequency of washing, and scalp condition. It is not advisable to use a clarifer for every wash unless you wash your hair rather infrequently or use alot of things that might leave build up..or have hard water.

I would thing that water alone might be sufficient to remove the smell of smoke from your hair.

In conclusion, there is no exact answer I can give you but I think the info I provided will help you decide what is a good frequency for your hair.

Llyons
05-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Thank you both for your detailed response...really appreciate it. I will look into both suggested products.

QueenJahzara
05-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I use a clarifying shampoo every week sometimes once in 2 weeks. because I put oils in my locks!!depends on how much of oils I have put in my locks

Sonryse
05-15-2004, 07:32 PM
I use sauve clarifying shampoo once a month or less frequently.

Sunchild
05-15-2004, 11:47 PM
When I first started I only used a clarifying shampoo to do weekly washings. Then I followed with some Kemi Oyl.

Beryl
05-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by afrikankween@May 15 2004, 05:47 PM
When I first started I only used a clarifying shampoo to do weekly washings. Then I followed with some Kemi Oyl.
I still kinda do this after 5 years. I use some kind of oil in the cold months and usually nothing in the warm months. In between I rinse only -- no poo.

The clarifying shampoo doesn't make my hair too hard. But then, it can stand to be firmed up a bit.

(Just hit me -- my birthday is on the 19th!)

LadyD
05-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Llyons@May 14 2004, 10:59 PM

I'm off to Vegas for the weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing all of your responses upon my return. I will need to wash all of the smoke from my hair. :)

:offtopic - i'm going to Las Vegas in a couple weeks - how was ur trip? where did you stay? hope you have/had a good time!!!!

Llyons
05-17-2004, 03:46 PM
This weekend I washed with a moisturizing shampoo and my locs feel so much better. Before, my hair was feeling crispy and fried. I think I will ease up on the clarifying shampoo to maybe once a week.

Beryl - Happy Birthday!

LadyD- Vegas was a lotta fun. Because the fight was this weekend, I could not find a reasonably priced hotel on the strip. The hotel I usually stay at was $499/night...normally it's $100/night. RI-DIC-U-LOUS! I ended up staying at the Residence Inn, which is right off the strip.

mommytimes2
05-18-2004, 01:42 AM
I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo once per month, and a moisturizing shampoo when I feel my hair needs it, probably twice per month. I use Suave Clarifying Shampoo Conditioner every 2 or 3 months and use oils on my locs a couple of times per week. If I use the clarifying shampoo more often than once monthly, it seems to strip my locs and make them feel a bit dry. :-?

FreedomPlease
05-18-2004, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by Sonryse@May 15 2004, 01:32 PM
I use sauve clarifying shampoo once a month or less frequently.
Same here...and I follow with another shampoo that adds the moisture back into my locs.

Llyons
05-18-2004, 03:12 PM
Thank you all for your responses. You guys are great!

aquababie19
05-18-2004, 03:17 PM
i use the suave as well. maybe every other month. i think i prefer the acv rinse though.

ladylocs30
05-18-2004, 03:45 PM
I don't use a clarifying shampoo b/c my hair is dry already but I do use the baking soda clarifying treatment for my hair. I will use it every couple of months b/c I don't use a lot of products in my hair. I follow up w/ Mango and Lime Tingle shampoo and after I shampoo, I just spritz my scalp and hair w/ water and lavendar EO and it leaves my hair soft and manageable. :)