PDA

View Full Version : To Shampoo Or Not To Shampoo

ngayef
05-15-2004, 03:55 PM
I've been loc-ing my hair for 1 month, 1week and five days. I beganned the process at a salon. I was advised by the locktician to avoid shampooing my hair. I plan to continue the loc-ing process on my on. Right now my scalps are very dry and there is build up. I really need to know if it is okay for me to shampoo my hair and exactly how can I keep my growing loc's clean since I heard that regular shampooing locs faster while at the same time , avoid shampooing. My ends are not completely secure but I can tell my hair has began to intertwine. I also have stray hairs (is this normal?). I have so many concerns can someone please advise me so I can properly take care of my growing locs. ;-)

Schiffon
05-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes, you can wash your hair. There are so many threads that answer this question in depth, where many of the members respond by giving their personal experience and philosphies.

The search feature on the site is not currently working but you could review old threads. There are 100+ pgs of threads in the loc section so I know it can be overwhelming but in those threads are the phlethora of information that you seek.

QueenJahzara
05-15-2004, 11:39 PM
:-ba :-ba :heart

LBellatrix
05-16-2004, 12:09 AM
In the meantime, can you provide more information on your hair's length and texture?

Although 6 weeks seems a long time to go without shampooing regardless of your hair's texture and/or length, I'm wondering if there's some reason your loctitian told you not to shampoo. My understanding is that shorter and/or loosely-textured hair shouldn't be washed right away if palmrolled or comb-coiled BUT I could be wrong.

I started my locs with two-strand twists and I began shampooing/rinsing my hair one week later. None of mine came loose but then again I have very tightly coiled/kinked hair (predominantly nappy) that was relatively long when I started.

Sunchild
05-16-2004, 12:14 AM
Never listen to people who tell you not to wash your hair. You can wash but you have to be very gentle. I suggest taking a panty hose leg and placing it over your babylocs and shampooing thru the netting. That way they will be secured and held in place, but still allowing you to wash your hair. Make sure you rinse really well so that no shampoo is left in your hair. Also avoid shampoos that say detangling or moisturizing at this stage, I would advice you to use a clarifying shampoo.

Also checkout tea tree oil. It will save you from the itchies.

If you are really concerned about cleanliness and dont want to wash very often.....Organic Root Stimulator makes an herbal rinse to cleanse your scalp and you dont have to rinse it out.

HTH

niknik
05-16-2004, 01:53 AM
ITA with Afrikankween

I washed my hair after about three weeks and only a couple came loose. They were located in an area where my hair is little less coily. I say wash wash wash and be ready for a small amount of retwisting if any.

QueenJahzara
05-16-2004, 07:52 AM
It think It depends.. I started with 2way strands and started washing them rom the first week.. And I wash them every week :heart

Typoz
05-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Here is how I was told to wash mine.

Get some tiny rubber bands and bundle the hair. Fold the hair at the ends with the rubber bands. This keeps them from just hanging loose. Wash very gently with a mild shampoo. If the rubber bands don't come out easily, cut them. Don't pull at the hair trying to get them out.

I don't wash my hair often because it has no product in it and thus no build-up. But when I do wash it, this is how I do it, at least for now.

Typoz