PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Pets-Advice Plz!

Fuesha
12-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Well me and my 5th month old Chihuahua will be flying this upcoming monday. We have a layover leaving and coming back.

This will be her first time on a plane. My Deliliah is full of energy,loves attention and goes crazy when she see's other people and can get to them because she tucked in her crate or carrier.

I guess im asking for those of you who have flown with your dogs how did you do it?

I've already gotten here tickets and she will be riding in the cabin with me under the seat infront of me. I already know im going to have to get another carrier that is faa approved,yaay:-|. I will also bring her shoot records with me,and rabies tags. But i wanna know how to keep her quiet, and happy on the flights. Keep in mind she is a puppy and as the PetSmart trainner says they have the attention span of a gnat lol!

All help is welcome!

Scribetastic
12-17-2009, 05:01 PM
I can't give you want you asked for: help on how to calm down a small dog.

However, I traveled far and wide with my cat (RIP my dear (http://expatjane.blogspot.com/2009/10/rip-my-sweetheart.html) :(). Make sure you don't skimp on the carrier. This is particularly true if you think she's going to try to get to people. While you think it's adorable, it can and will probably put other people off.

I'd recommend a bag by Sherpa (http://www.sherpapet.com/). They're very good bags and the one I got for my cat lasted for years. Also, get it early enough to make sure she gets accustomed to it. When I first bought Kitty's, I left it open and, sure enough, she started hanging out in it (cat's like enclosed spots...not sure if Chihuahuas do.)

How long is your flight? My cat and I have flown for 14 hour flights from Seoul to San Francisco, but also short flights from the SF Bay Area to L.A. Of course, shorter flights are easier.

Realize that she's also probably going to get scared when the plane takes off and lands. The fear ~might~ calm her down. Again, I can't say for sure but it might. Also, if you've not booked your seat, get an aisle seat. Take bathroom breaks, so you can check on her while in the air.

Anyway, good luck!

GalaxyGirl2012
12-20-2009, 05:25 PM
you could get some stuff from the vet. cats are a bit easier because i just drugged mine up on catnip and she chilled out for the ride. i'd peek in at her very so often and she'd just look back at me like "hey wassup"

bhop13
12-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I totally didn't know you could have a pet on the plane! I thought they all had to be checked in or something like that but I guess it just depends on the size. That's great!

GalaxyGirl2012
12-24-2009, 02:07 AM
I totally didn't know you could have a pet on the plane! I thought they all had to be checked in or something like that but I guess it just depends on the size. That's great!
nope i've never ever paid for mine lol.. there's nothing printed special on your ticket. whenever i fly with my kitty i put her in her carrier that looks like a regular bag and just board and stick her under the seat in front of me. in the past th main problenm with the sneak used to be the check in,but now that you can check in online, there's no need to do it.

keep in mind this only works within the US, you can't necessarily get away with that on international flights because pets will need all kinds of papers and shots and stamps.

Fuesha
01-11-2010, 04:47 AM
well im late but she did well. She was wth about everything that she was felt safe in the bag. I dont blame her. I scored a nice bag from wally world! It had wheels on the bottom so we wized through the airport. It also had spot for storage so that was a bonus!