PDA

View Full Version : Swimming, How can I protect my hair?

SpicerK
01-01-2010, 09:37 PM
I asked a Dominican stylist how can I protect my hair and she showed me a damn Jeri Curl cap (speaks no english either) WTF?! I'm transitioning and I've been only able to swim on Saturdays because I can go to the salon and get my hair washed immediately. I'm looking into a natural stylist because the Dominican stylist is setting my scalp on fire with that hot *** blow dryer. I hear Tameeka in Far Rockaway is good so I will be looking into going to her. I could ask her but who knows when I will be able to see her and I would like some tips because I would like to go for a swim when ever I want.

angel_sista
01-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Well, I swim on wash days - I douse my hair in conditioner that morning and then put it up in a bun or something else that vaugely resembles a protective style.

Then, when I've finished, I use the conditioner already in my hair to wash out the chlorine.

afrogeek
01-08-2010, 11:24 AM
})Rinsing your hair with club soda will remove salt (ocean swimming), chlorine and styling build up. You can use the club soda every day, just make sure you follow up with a good deep conditioner. I live in Norway and swim in both pools and ocean and this is what I use. Don't use shampoo at the same time, though. Wait at least week before you use shampoo again or you'll strip your hair.})

SpicerK
01-09-2010, 01:12 AM
So you're saying just rinse my hair with a bottle of seltzer water after each swim and then deep condition?
I just want to follow the correct steps. Then I wash my hair when I usually wash my hair which is once a week.
I put off swimming during the week because of this.
Thank you for the response.
~Kim

afrogeek
01-11-2010, 10:45 AM
So you're saying just rinse my hair with a bottle of seltzer water after each swim and then deep condition?
I just want to follow the correct steps. Then I wash my hair when I usually wash my hair which is once a week.
I put off swimming during the week because of this.
Thank you for the response.
~Kim
}) Yep. I got this from a another NP member years ago and it really does work.})

Sweetipi76
03-02-2011, 10:33 AM
})Rinsing your hair with club soda will remove salt (ocean swimming), chlorine and styling build up. You can use the club soda every day, just make sure you follow up with a good deep conditioner. I live in Norway and swim in both pools and ocean and this is what I use. Don't use shampoo at the same time, though. Wait at least week before you use shampoo again or you'll strip your hair.})

will this work for locs also?

Soul Rebel
03-22-2012, 01:52 AM
Bump! 101010

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner