PDA

View Full Version : Writing A Good Cover Letter...

tjolims
05-16-2004, 09:38 PM
I am horrible at writing cover letters to prospective employers. I just don't know what it is that I need to put in them...

Who here is good at writing cover letters? What's your advice on how to create good, effective, attention catching ones?

AfrikaIzin_My_Hair
05-17-2004, 03:08 AM
I usually use one of the templates in MS Word, and then keep the comments short and sweet, including the position I'm applying for.

tjolims
05-17-2004, 07:12 PM
AfrikaIzin_My_Hair, when you say "short and sweet" do you mean that you leave out stuff referred to in the resume, or are you summarizing?

That's my biggest problem. Once I get past "To whom it may concern, my name is blahblah and I'm applying for a position as a whatever---" I draw a blank. I just want to write, "Read the attached resume! It has all the info! What are you looking here for?"

Does anybody here work in human resources? What do hr people look for in a blinking cover letter, really?

cmesweet
05-20-2004, 06:01 AM
Ok I took a class this semester of how to write cover letters and resume, dinning etiquete and everything even electronic coverletters. I will find the site for you. I was told not to use the MS pamphlete.

ok when you do a cover letter u do not use the word "I" more than 10 times,if you do make it seem more as if you are writing to that person instead of talking about yourself. for example: "I have acquired the skills needed for this particular job" change to "As you can see the skills I have acquired skills needed for this particular job.

msu career service and advice (http://www.csp.msu.edu/pages/qg/index.cfm)

click on the link to help you if you can't get in just pm just to let me know