PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do I Wash My Locs?

Caramell2876
05-18-2004, 02:25 PM
[FONT=Courier][SIZE=1][COLOR=purple] Hey Im a new loc'r :rainfro . I started by twists. Im in my 2nd month and I have to say that I really need to wash my hair every week. 8) Is that too often. I am doing this now and my hair unravels alot. I was told that my hair will take longer to loc.

Simplyloc
05-18-2004, 02:35 PM
I use the braid method. I have been washing since day one. Sometimes i was every 2 days sometimes, sometimes 1 a week-- i am still trying different things to see wich method that my hair like best. When i do not wash my hair, i do a daily rince, and spritz many times trhough the day--
I like spritzing my hair--I love the feeling!!

mrsdee1234
05-18-2004, 03:07 PM
I started with two strand twists and I wash my hair about every two weeks. There is a lot of fuzzies though and I am at four months now.

Llyons
05-18-2004, 05:10 PM
From reading past posts on this topic, a lot of those who started locs w/ twists washed their hair in the 1st week. If there were any twists that unravled, they would simply retwist.
It took a couple of washes before the locs would stop unraveling.

For myself, I started locs w/ braids. Therefore, I was able to wash in the 1st week w/out any problems.

HTH!

SwissMocha
05-19-2004, 06:16 AM
I started with comb coils/twists and I washed at 3 weeks...some unraveled but I just retwisted...I'm close to 4 months locin and I no longer have that unravelin problem except with some at the top, which are bein quite stubborn...startin out, I washed weekly...now I wash bi-weekly but since I'm about to start freeforming, I'm gonna go back to washin weekly...oh and when I'm not washin my hair, I rinse and spritz-love it! :-)

Caramell2876
05-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Hey,

Thanks ladies for your input :razz :heart . I am feeling a little bit more confident in my locs now. Like you know it can be discouraging in the beginning and I do know the outcome of my hair will be very nice. Im trying to stretch the washing for 2 weeks, but my scalp simply can’t take it the dandruff is unbearable :shocked . What type of spritzers would you guys recommend.

rsorap
05-19-2004, 08:47 PM
I start my locs with 2 strand twist at first but after going into my 3rd month, I started over with the braids, which I prefer better. I only washed my hair once every 2-weeks with the twists but with the braids, I wash as often as I want w/o any problems, i.e., unraveling. I use 1/4 organic oil mixed with 3/4 water and just spritz every morning. I don't have any problems with dryness or dandruff which was something that I use to always suffer with. :app

chavonne101
05-21-2004, 12:55 AM
My locs were started with the back comb method six months ago. I washed my hair 8 weeks after starting my locs. Since then I wash my hair once a week. I sweat a lot in my scalp and I don't like the dirty hair feeling that I have.

sharynleigh
05-21-2004, 02:53 AM
My locs were started with 2 strands and I wash every 10 days. I am in my 6th month so they don't unravel as much.

silkgirl2
05-21-2004, 03:14 AM
I also started with two strand twist and I was told not to wash my hair for about 2 1/2 months because of the texture of my hair. I am the type of person who need to wash my hair every week so around month two I gave in and washed it. It did unravel and even though i am in my 5th month now some in the front still tend to unravel. You just have to twist it back everytime it unravel and I notice that every time i was less of them unravel. So now I wash every 2-weeks.