PDA

View Full Version : BSL Challenge 2010

Whitley Gilbert
02-05-2010, 05:09 AM
Come on in and join the challenge if you aim to reach bsl in 2010, ecause of course it's not just about growth. Retention counts too. So let's support each other along the way. (:-)

We can continue until Dec. 2010 or until next Feb. to make it a full 12 months. It's up to you.

BSL Challenge 2009 Part 1 (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106504&highlight=bsl+challenge)

BSL Challenge 2009 Part 2
(http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115981&highlight=bsl+challenge)
A helpful thread: Calling All BSL Challenge Members (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93444&highlight=bsl+challenge)

Please share your stats...

Regimen:

Products:

Starting Length:

Starting Length Picture(s):

Other Goals:

Other Info:

Who's in? :)

Napia Mia
02-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Ok... count me in! I want to pay particular attention to my crown. It's below BSL and even close to the top of APL but I swear either my growth and/or retention in the top seems stagnant. Ok...now that I think about it, it's the retention because my color is growing out and I can see my gray roots but it just doesn't seem like my hair is any longer in my top/crown and it's driving me nuts.

I have NOOOOOO idea what I'm going to do to change this. You'd think my box braids would be a great remedy for retaining length and it just seems to me that I should be able to hit BSL from where I am in a year.

I know... Maybe I should thread my ends. Anybody know how to thread hair?

coilycurly
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Regimen: Wash on weekend, install twists, wear twists 2 or 3 days, wear twistout 1-3 days. I sometimes co-wash on a thursday again, do big twists to sleep in and bun until the weekend. Occasional WNG as the mood takes me.

Products: Darcy Botanicals Avocado and Wild Plum Twisting Creme (awesome), BB Soy Cream Shampoo/Deva Low Poo, VO5 for co-wash, Jessicurl Aloeba daily for leave-in, with some JC WDT on the ends. For the occasional WNG, KCCC.
Can twist with KCCC for a different look.

Starting Length: Need to recheck this, went to the Salon for a trim on Wednesday. I was nearly at BSL at the nape

Starting Length Picture(s): I guess I have to take one.

Other Goals: hydrated healthy hair. I wish my strands were heavier but if wishes were horses...I'd like to keep my ends as healthy as possible given my love for the WNG.

Other Info:I'm not obsessive about length (hence my regular trims) but I think it would be fun to see when I make that mark. I don't plan to do anything special, just keep doing what I do and see what happens.

CoilyHairedBeauty
02-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Regimen: Every week, co-wash, plait, and airdry to stretch hair. I will be bunning and doing the baggy method. Sometimes I'll baggy the ends only; other times a full head.

If I use too much gel, I'll be pre-pooing and getting rid of buildup. (Ick!)

Products:
Yes to Cucumbers
Aussie Moist
Elasta qp Mango butter
evoo/coconut oil
eco styler green

Starting Length: APL-ish. 12-13 inches

Pics:
http://i49.tinypic.com/2rogfvn.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/zx6vet.jpg

Other goals: Grow out my layers!

Track my progress on my youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/CoilyHairedBeauty

Napia Mia
02-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Ok... count me in! I want to pay particular attention to my crown. It's below BSL and even close to the top of APL but I swear either my growth and/or retention in the top seems stagnant. Ok...now that I think about it, it's the retention because my color is growing out and I can see my gray roots but it just doesn't seem like my hair is any longer in my top/crown and it's driving me nuts.

I have NOOOOOO idea what I'm going to do to change this. You'd think my box braids would be a great remedy for retaining length and it just seems to me that I should be able to hit BSL from where I am in a year.

I know... Maybe I should thread my ends. Anybody know how to thread hair?
Lawd that (the bolded part) makes no sense. I mean it's below shoulder length and almost at the top of APL.

And I guess I should update my stats so here goes

Regimen: Box braids for the next three months or so. I take down and wash as needed.

Products: Proline Lite Creme Moisturizer

Starting Length: Since I'm only concerned with my top/crown that's the info I'll provide here. When stretched to the front it barely touches my chest. When stretched to the back it's almost top of APL. In actual measurements, that's about 15-16 inches.

Starting Length Picture(s): Will post later

Other Goals: Eventually get rid of all layers. Getting the top to BSL will be the key to helping me reach this goal.

Other Info: Nothing I can think of.

esha555
02-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Hey it's me iscott555...I just created a new account my old one wouldn't let me log on anymore :( Anywho I'm here...I want to get my front, top and sides to BSL...my back is at BSL....the front is about 2 inches or less from my cleavage mark, which I would assume would be BSL....I the top and sides are a bit past my collar bone bordering on APL if they are not already there

Regimen: I'm wearing box braids until summer. I cowash them every week...unless I'm lazy then it'll be longer or if I'm really active then I will cowash 2x in one week

products: I'm using the Burt's Bees line, which I thoroughly enjoy...I only use conditioner and I use Palmer's Olive Oil spray

starting length: previously mentioned..I don't know the inches...I haven't measured

starting pictures: I have pictures of my braids in my fotki, they are like a month old

other goals: to get the back to MBL...when my hair shrinks it looks even and it all shrinks to shoulder length or just below....my ultimate goal is to have my hair shrink and be at APL

Other info: Nothing at the moment!

mymy
02-06-2010, 08:37 AM
Okay, I'm in this mainly for my crown and other layers too.
As of December, my crown was SL and I'm sure not to much has changed since then. I'll use that as my starting picture.

Regimen: Wash hair in twists, while wet take down 1 twist at a time, detangle, retwist. Repeat Weekly. Deep condition monthly, moisturize as needed, trim as needed.

Products: Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, EVOO, shealoe, KBB hair milk for moisturizing, cholesterol or Aubrey Organics HSR for deep conditioning.

Starting Length: I don't know. I'll come back and post that at another time.

Starting Length Picture(s): My crown is SL (http://public.fotki.com/eshabesha/year-3/december-2009-month-34/img-0033.html)

Other Goals: I would like for all of my hair to be BSL and to keep my hair healthy.

coilycurly
02-09-2010, 01:43 AM
OK, here is my length check shot - sorry about the lousy quality, I took it with my phone.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/coilycurly/Hair/lengthcheckfeb7.jpg

missCONGENIALity
02-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Count me in.

I feel like I have been at the same length for the past 2 years.

Regimen:

Wear twist, deep condition twice a week, shampoo once a week, scalp massages daily

Products:

Shikakai poo bar, Moe's growth oil, shea butter, Giovanni Direct Leave-in, Herbal Essence LTR leave-in,

Starting Length:

Between Shoulder and Armpit Length

Other Goals:

Other Info:

Napia Mia
02-14-2010, 02:03 AM
OK, here is my length check shot - sorry about the lousy quality, I took it with my phone.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/coilycurly/Hair/lengthcheckfeb7.jpg

Girl this picture is clear enough for me to drool over your juicy twists.

:))

Phrizzball
02-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Ooh me me!

My hair feels stagnant.

Regimen:

wear mini braids for a month, then wear braided twists for a month, finally wear twists for a month, do a deep protein treatment and repeat. Oh and yea I'll be washing my hair between that time as well.

Products:

Hair One as a leave in, the rest tba...

Starting Length:

Sides are APL but back isn't. Though you can't tell at all.

Starting Length Picture(s):8-11 inches with my nape being on the shorter end.

Other Goals: Grow out my nape, shape up my layers better, grow out my bangs, eventually have SL hair semi stretched or even shrunken

Other Info:

coilycurly
02-15-2010, 05:25 AM
Girl this picture is clear enough for me to drool over your juicy twists.

:))
)8-| Wow, I feel a little star-struck! A compliment on my twists from the queen of twists....

Have to say, I still love a WNG but I am definitely warming up to the twists. I find it hard to do ponytails or buns with shrunken hair. So for me it is the opposite of a protective style. I am in my hair way more when it is in twists vs a shrunken fro.

tweetnaps
02-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Regiman: I keep it in braided twists-own hair
Products: CD's products....wash with herbal essence hydralicous
Starting length: Depends...some chin level, some SL, And some APL
Goals: Have all BSL...and retain

Whitley Gilbert
02-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Regimen: Currently, I am wet bunning for the colder months. Deep conditioning every 1-2 weeks. That's it for now.

Products: I use these most often (of course not all at once). Conditioner+ olive oil + peppermint oil mixture for moisture, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner (or whatever is around), Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Salon Care Cholestorol Deep Conditioner

Starting Length: 14-17 inches

Starting Length Picture(s): Sorry this picture isn't the best, it was hastily taken. I hope to show other angles as the challenge progresses.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/BSLChallengeJan2010-1.jpg

Other Goals: I really want the crown to reach bsl. It's just above APL now. Healthy hair overall is a goal (see below). I'd love to be able to make two decent looking french braids. I have some other styles that I'd like to recreate too once I get the length.

Other Info: I have some breakage around the front hairline, so I need to baby that area. Also, my growth in some areas seems stagnant and stuck at 14 inches. I'm totally open to suggestions on both counts.

Whitley Gilbert
02-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Welcome to the 2010 challenge everyone and good luck!!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/viannen_01.gif

Lovely cornrows CoilyHairedBeauty and your twists are luscious coilycurly.

Napia Mia
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM

So, so thick and pretty.

Other Info: I have some breakage around the front hairline, so I need to baby that area. Also, my growth in some areas seems stagnant and stuck at 14 inches. I'm totally open to suggestions on both counts.

I hear you loud and clear. What is it about nappy hair and that 14 inch mark. Dang!

mymy
02-15-2010, 08:10 PM
I hear you loud and clear. What is it about nappy hair and that 14 inch mark. Dang!
Now, don't jinx me okay. I'm getting close to it and I want my hair grow through it with no problems. Me and my hair had better come to an understanding, if it won't pussyfoot around, I won't stop taking good care of it.

MissNic
02-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Im in hopefully by DEC 10 i will be there or not far off

Regimen: I dont really have a regimen these days. My hair is currently in twists been in for a week now i'll try and keep them in for a few more may try to wash in the twists and then retwist

Products: currently trying to use up my stash so whatever comes to hand. deep conditioning and moisturising will have to be my focus.

Starting Length: APL been hanging around this mark forever!

Starting Length Picture(s):no pics im shy)8-|

Other Goals: Healthy hair, strong ends and volume. my twists are so skinny if my twists looked like coilycurly's i'd never wear my hair loose they are gorgeous.

vaShun1
02-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Can I join even though I am 3 months in to my transitioning????

vaShun1
02-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Can I join even though I am only three months in my transition??????

Come on in and join the challenge if you aim to reach bsl in 2010, ecause of course it's not just about growth. Retention counts too. So let's support each other along the way. (:-)

We can continue until Dec. 2010 or until next Feb. to make it a full 12 months. It's up to you.

BSL Challenge 2009 Part 1 (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106504&highlight=bsl+challenge)

BSL Challenge 2009 Part 2
(http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115981&highlight=bsl+challenge)
A helpful thread: Calling All BSL Challenge Members (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93444&highlight=bsl+challenge)

Regimen:

Products:

Starting Length:

Other Goals:

Other Info:

Who's in? :)

Whitley Gilbert
02-19-2010, 04:00 AM
Can I join even though I am 3 months in to my transitioning????

Of course. Be sure to share your stats. :)

So, so thick and pretty.

Thanks NM. I don't know what it is about that length. I switched my styling routine from small boxbraids to buns in hopes that things change. If I could get away with medium-large boxbraids, I'd opt for those. Well, see how this goes.

Good luck everyone!

Random thought: I think I'm over thinking what BSL actually is, based on the growth charts that I've seen. Oh well.

coilycurly
02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
Im in hopefully by DEC 10 i will be there or not far off

Other Goals: Healthy hair, strong ends and volume. my twists are so skinny if my twists looked like coilycurly's i'd never wear my hair loose they are gorgeous.

Thanks hon! I have fine strands and medium density, so trust me when I say that it took me a while to find a twisting technique that gives me results that I like.
a) I twist on slightly damp hair. After putting in my leave in conditioner I detangle and put my hair in a bun to stretch it. Large twists work too - I use the bun when I wash in the am and plan to be out and about.
b) When hair is nearly dry I whip out my twisting stuff - currently using DB Avocado and Wild Plum glycerin free twisting cream - and get to the business of twisting. I make fairly small sections and (gasp) gently comb out a section. The hair is stretched and previously detangled so this is pretty easy to do. This makes the hair fuller and then I make twists relatively loosely using grab and go. The section is usually good for at least 3-4 twists.

Result - fatter twists!

MissNic
02-20-2010, 01:18 PM
:))^^^Thanks Coily. I will definitely give that routine a go the next time i do my twists.

Krystle~Hime
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
i think i can do it, being BSL next dec, or next fev.

Regimen :
BI WEEKLY
-Hot oil treatments twice a week(amla/brahmi powder + castor oil + sapote oil)
-Then wash it out with moroccon black soap.
-Then seal with my sheacocoavanilla butter and airdry.

Others goals : Big *** healthy afro by Summer 10.

Startin pics : http://public.fotki.com/krystlehime/2010/winter--until-1st-march/img-0585.html#media

Whitley Gilbert
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
DB Avocado and Wild Plum glycerin free twisting cream
What does the DB stand for? Forgive me, I'm not up on my product knowledge.

sheacocoavanilla butter

How do you make this? It sound yummy.

Welcome to the challenge.

nappy-momma
02-26-2010, 01:50 AM
Regimen: co-wash once or twice a week depending on mood and scalp itchiness (still looking for a solution. suggestions MUCH appreciated)
small twists while wet with shea butter, coconut oil and africas best wear for about 4 days then twists out for 2 days

Products: suave tropical (?) conditioner (used to co-wash)
shea butter, coconut oil and africas best mix
occassionally spritz with water and africas best or put water and leave in conditioner on ends if they are in need of attention

Starting Length: bangs are to my bottom lip, sides are to my neck and back is to my neck. i have issues with the center part it is to my nape.

oops.. no camera. <<sad face>>

Other Goals: growth and combating dryness and learning new styles. twists are pretty much all i can do right now

coilycurly
02-26-2010, 01:38 PM
What does the DB stand for? Forgive me, I'm not up on my product knowledge.

Darcy's Botanicals:). I'm actually testing this for wash and go today.})

Howardhijabi
02-26-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm in...My bday is in about a week so I'll finish next b-day. For now Im pre pooing w oil and deep conditioning every week. I will try to be low manipulation. only styling after I wash. I am using up my natural products that I have collected and only combing with wood or horn combs. My current length is different all over. Some shoulder, some bsl, some neck. I want to be bsl all over.

liberationtheory
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
okay i'm in. my back of my hair is bsl but my crown and bang area isnt. so my goal for those is to get at least apl. i'll take updated pictures though i have some in my fotki.

my regimen is here (http://liberationtheory.wordpress.com/2010/02/14/on-hair-lessons-learned/) but here's the streamlined version:

-- prepoo/deep condition, wash, porosity control, conditioner weekly.
-- cowash 1-2x a week in addition to the above.
-- moisturize with kbb hair nectar and seal with kbb hair cream on wash/cowash days
-- moisturize kbb hair nectar and kbb jojoba oil nightly
-- wear a bun for 4 weeks
wear a non-napptural style for 2 weeks

Krystle~Hime
02-26-2010, 11:42 PM
How do you make this? It sound yummy.

Welcome to the challenge.

thank you !
my sheacocoavanilla butter is
shea butter (100g)
cocoa butter (100g)
vanilla pods infused in sesame oil (50g)
(in a 250g pot)

very nourishin and very versatile (body, feet, face, hair, deep conditioning, sealer, daily hair pomade =D )

coilycurly
03-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Does anyone have updates?

I'm going to stick with putting in a set of twists on the weekend, then WNG mid week. I feel like my hair has grown a bit, but I'm not checking until the end of March.

mymy
03-08-2010, 06:28 PM
I'm not planning to do an update until around June or July.

Whitley Gilbert
03-09-2010, 05:03 AM
Nappy-momma, Liberty, Howardhibjabi .............. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/viannen_01.gif

Thanks for the info coilycurly and Krystle~Hime. The sheacocoavanilla butter really does sound great.

Does anyone have updates?

I'm going to stick with putting in a set of twists on the weekend, then WNG mid week. I feel like my hair has grown a bit, but I'm not checking until the end of March.

I've changed my regimen a tiny bit. At first I wasn't sure how to work honey treatments in, I didn't want them to replace my deep conditions, so I'm going to do them once a month. I like how my hair feels afterward.

I'm trying my best not to "watch the pot." :p

NowIamnappy
03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
So I was debating should I join or not..but after washing my twists last night I stretched my kitchen and it was darn near BSL. So once I take these twists out this weekend I will have a length shot for you guys

Regimen:Twists worn for a minimum of 2 weeks alternating between updos and buns. I will wash and deep condition my hair once a week with a possible cowash mid week once the weather gets cooler.

Products:Shampoo once a month with Giovanni clarifying shampoo. Cowash with Vo5 Strawberries n cream. Deep condition with Yes to Carrots or DPR-11. My leave in spritz is diluted Vo5 with castor oil and water afterwards I apply shea butter to my ends.

Starting Length: My hair is about 12 to 13 inches all around so I have heavy layers throughout.

will post this weekend
Other Goals: Growing out my layers

Other Info: My goal right now is to get my kitchen to BSL and getting my sides to APL and my crown to SL

Elle Williams
03-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I want to join!

Regimen:I wash my hair every 10 days, after that I do two french braids, so my hair can dry and stretch, then I put in box braids. I usually keep them for 5 days, but I'm going to try and stretch that to 2 weeks. (I only started doing this regimen since november and my hair went from neck length to what I have now)

Products:Sadly I do not use much, Indian hemp oil, Pink moisturizer and Pantene.

Starting length:Its around my clavicle or slightly longer, then shoulder length.

I'll show you ladies a picture, when I get on my computer.

Other goals:I really want to see the hair on my hair line grow longer, for some reason it won't get any longer, then my pinky finger(No more brushing or puffs for a while):D
I also want to learn how to retain length and have the perfect afro for my next birthday! (oct 21)

beautifulleo
03-11-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm in. Are we counting BSL stretched or BSL after shrinkage. Either way it was my goal to be BSL by the end of the year.

beautifulleo
03-11-2010, 08:40 PM
I co-wash daily and no poo weekly. I use oyin whipped pudding and leave-in daily. On the week-end I use shine and define on the week-end when I wear my hair out.

mymy
03-12-2010, 03:30 AM
I'm in. Are we counting BSL stretched or BSL after shrinkage. Either way it was my goal to be BSL by the end of the year.
BSL stretched.

esha555
03-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Here is a mini-update...I posted this in the box braids challenge as well, so if you're part of that sorry for the double post!

Ok so I took out my first set of box braids and my edges did suffer dearly :( The edges on the sides in the front broke off and I can see little bald spots!!! I don't know what caused it! Maybe I redid those parts too much or maybe I messed in my hair too much. I think I rub on my edges when I'm stressed. I think also the braids were just too tiny...so I'm getting my next set put in today and I will tell the stylist to make them much larger because I need my sides back. On a positive note the back got longer! So in the bra I got a while back is lower, I think it's more like mid-back level and my hair in the back was about 2 inches away from the strap and now it's at the strap. So I think my hair in the back is beyond bra-strap and bordering Mid-back....It's hard to tell what my true bsl is because every time I get a new bra the strap is somewhere different, but I think I'm closing in on mid-back length in the back. The front is inching closer to the cleavage mark and I haven't done the sides yet, but I'm going to guess that I lost length just because of the breakage. I will post pictures in my fotki hopefully before the weekend is over!

Dykibra
03-14-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm ALL In....

Regimen: Wash/clarify (as needed) weekly. Co-wash as needed (if needed like too much buildup)...Twists or bantu knots 1-2 days, then twist out 2-3 days...

Products: Cream of Nature or Giovanni 50:50 Clarifying/Moisturizing, ORS Olive Oil Replenishing Condish, ACV, Joico Kpax conditioner (as needed-this is a mild protein), Cantu Shea Butter Cream Leave in condish, EVOO, jojoba oil, Taliah Waajid African Healing Oil often mixed with shampoo and or condish....

Starting Length: longest layer in back (a little past APL-stretched/hand). Crown area (SL), Chin/front crown (CL-chin length)

Starting Length Picture(s):non yet....will add

Other Goals: Grow front layers out to APL, BSL stretched by June 2010...FULL BSL by Dec BSL...Baggy hair 2 times/week. Reduce breakage by sealing ends daily w/ conditioner. Drink more water!

Other Info:
I just want my hair to be more even...If it never gets there thats okay...I want the more fragile (history of damage from last sew in) area (middle crown) to grow out thicker....I am going to look into something like JBCO to rub in that area to improve that area's thickness...})

esha555
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Any updates anyone??? I forgot to put pictures in my fotki so I will get on that and I haven't taken any new pictures of my braids :( so I need to do that too lol

Whitley Gilbert
03-25-2010, 01:11 AM
I love the new challenge section.Thank you Dee.

Welcome NowIamNappy, Elle Williams, Beautifulleo, and Dykibra!!!!

Ok, a lot of people said they'd be back with starting pics.... Mmmm Hmmm.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/Demonstration.gif

Here is a mini-update...I posted this in the box braids challenge as well, so if you're part of that sorry for the double post!

Ok so I took out my first set of box braids and my edges did suffer dearly :( The edges on the sides in the front broke off and I can see little bald spots!!! I don't know what caused it! Maybe I redid those parts too much or maybe I messed in my hair too much. I think I rub on my edges when I'm stressed. I think also the braids were just too tiny...so I'm getting my next set put in today and I will tell the stylist to make them much larger because I need my sides back. On a positive note the back got longer! So in the bra I got a while back is lower, I think it's more like mid-back level and my hair in the back was about 2 inches away from the strap and now it's at the strap. So I think my hair in the back is beyond bra-strap and bordering Mid-back....It's hard to tell what my true bsl is because every time I get a new bra the strap is somewhere different, but I think I'm closing in on mid-back length in the back. The front is inching closer to the cleavage mark and I haven't done the sides yet, but I'm going to guess that I lost length just because of the breakage. I will post pictures in my fotki hopefully before the weekend is over!

Sorry, about your setback esha. Maybe it's your nighttime scarf rubbing against your hair in the front as you sleep. I'm having issues with that. Or maybe it's over manipulation from redoing the boxbraids. But congrats on your growth progress. I'm waiting on that fotki update. lol.

I have to admit, I struggle with differentiating bsl from mbl.

Upadate: My wash n' goes are becoming larger and more floppy. This is a big change this is taking some "getting used to." I'm still trying to stick to my regimen though, with a few "out" days here and there now that it's spring.

esha555
03-26-2010, 02:34 AM
^^^^ Wow since you done called me out! LOL! I will get on it tonight...I PROMISE!!! I haven't even loaded the pictures off my camera lol. I do need to get on it...I have been slacking lol! I think it was the overmanipulation that caused the breakage but it's growing back so I know it will repair itself with some time :) Congrats on your progress!!! Wash n go's just never went over with me but your hair in your avi looks beautiful!

Whitley Gilbert
03-26-2010, 04:04 AM
^^^ LOL, I sorta called others out too. Ya'll know I mean it in the silliest and nicest way possible... but I'm so serious too. Don't hold out on the pics. Thank you. The avatar is a wash n' go. After wearing buns and braids all fall and winter wearing my hair 'out' requires some rethinking.About the breakage, I'm glad things are looking up for you! Are you still wearing braids? What did you change? I completely understand about "time." I'm just giving my breakage some time now too.

-----

I posted this in "Random Thoughts," but I want to post it here too to get your opinions...

Help: I need a nighttime scarf that doesn't require tying or making a knot. Any suggestions? I have to tie my current one and the knot is rubbing against my hair causing breakage. I try to position it in differently, but I know I need to get rid of it all together. I wonder if a "locsoc" will work for loose hair?

esha555
03-26-2010, 05:55 AM
^^^ LOL, I sorta called others out too. Ya'll know I mean it in the silliest and nicest way possible... but I'm so serious too. Don't hold out on the pics. Thank you. The avatar is a wash n' go. After wearing buns and braids all fall and winter wearing my hair 'out' requires some rethinking.About the breakage, I'm glad things are looking up for you! Are you still wearing braids? What did you change? I completely understand about "time." I'm just giving my breakage some time now too.

-----

I posted this in "Random Thoughts," but I want to post it here too to get your opinions...

Help: I need a nighttime scarf that doesn't require tying or making a knot. Any suggestions? I have to tie my current one and the knot is rubbing against my hair causing breakage. I try to position it in differently, but I know I need to get rid of it all together. I wonder if a "locsoc" will work for loose hair?

The fotki is updated! That's a good question Whitley about the scarf....I don't have any ideas but I will definitely research it!

Ms-gg
03-28-2010, 05:10 AM
Ms Whit, I stopped wearing scarves and bonnets because of the breakage and I just use a satin pillow case and satin sheets. Plus I hate how all those contraptions smoosh the styles all up anyway...

missCONGENIALity
03-30-2010, 12:06 AM
Dang, Whit you calling people out. LOL.

Here is my starting pic.

http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/174_98/170_63/104_1444-th.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/174_98/170_63/104_1444.jpg)

I am getting bored with wearing twist. I might try co-washing for a week.

Kamili
04-11-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm all up in this challenge, but I just have to ask. What IS BSL, cause I've seen a few different interpretations. Is it, as I've always thought, when your stretched hair reaches the top of your horizontal bra strap? I've seen others explain it as the bottom of the strap too. lol, maybe I should actually put on a bra so I can get an accurate measurement, j/k

Napia Mia
04-12-2010, 12:14 AM
Hi Kamili,

When I started the original challenge thread a couple of years ago, I defined BSL as the top of your horizontal bra strap.

If you're participating in the challenge, that's the criteria no matter how it's defined anywhere else.

To keep it simple, it doesn't matter where it hits you, if you're short or tall or have a thin or a wide brastrap. If your nape reaches the top of your bra strap then you've met the goal for this particular challenge.

Hope that makes sense.

Kamili
04-12-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh ok, thank you Napia Mia, that's the measurement I've always gone by. I think I'm at the top of APL now, so I should only have a few inches to go. I'm def in this challenge, along with the 6 month box braid challenge (which I think'll make it pretty easy to reach this length goal).

also, i love your fro in your siggie <3

Whitley Gilbert
04-21-2010, 05:00 AM
NM is right, it varies from person to person, but most people go by when it touches the top of the brastrap.

Me? I striving for all of my hair at or just past the bottom of my brastrap. I don't fell like I will truly be bsl with it only touching the top layer. I know how nappy hair can play mind games and layers create illusions, so I really want to be there and really feel certain about it. I've seen some naturals (in albums and on another site) stretch a piece of hair and I was mystified by the length, then they straighten it all and I get confused and wonder where the length was hiding. Nappy hair can really play with your emotions and I don't want to get my hopes up (despite the fact that I haven't used heat in years and don't plan to any time soon). I'd hate to think I was bsl, only to find out I was collarbone or apl after getting my hopes up. Maybe I'm hard to please, hair-orexic, crazy, whatever. I've heard some people say it's 18" and others say it's somehow 23". Either way, I'm certainly rambling, so I'll just post these charts and let you decide.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/hair-growth-chart.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/hairchart.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/f_shoulderlenm_e4b3e21.jpg

Whitley Gilbert
04-21-2010, 05:08 AM
How is everyone doing?

This is my month to trim, but I'm being busy and a bit lazy and I've even fallen behind on the deep conditioning a bit, but no excuses I'm getting back on the ball.

-----

Your twists look great missCONGENIALity. Thanks for posting a pic. :p Did you try the co-washing for a week? How did it go?

Thanks for the suggestion Msgg. I do like to have my hair flat and secured though lol.

Oh and I forgot to say Welcome Kamili!!!!

monappy28
04-22-2010, 05:50 PM
I'm joining this challenge! Right now I have about 3.5-4 inches of hair right now, mind you, I BC'd again last July. So I should be around 5 inches at my year mark. I might be crazy going for bra strap lenght, but I am going to put in my best effort and hope I don't get bit by the hair cutting bug! I was and DC my hair once every 2-3 weeks and I keep it twisted or in some protective style! I drink plenty of water and am looking into changing my diet. Hopefully these will all help with my hair growth, I am also going to begin taking a vitamin supplement, I need one anyway!

Napia Mia
04-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, my challenge is up June 1. I've been tempted by all the GORGEOUS twist styles I keep running in to from time to time to put my hair in twists. But I'm determined to see this challenge to the end.
@ Monappy...welcome to the challenge!

I get my hair colored in a couple of weeks. I'm just going to put my braids in twists and have her color my roots and braid it back up.

But once I reach my six month goal, I think I'll wear some twists for a month or so and then braid it back up for the remainder of the summer. With my hot flashes, I'm sure it will be the coolest way to wear my hair.

My beautician is just dying to do a twist style but I said no this time around just so I could stay in the challenge.

It's also been about a month since I had to get four inches of hair chopped off so I should have gained a good inch of hair by now with very minimal loss of length to my ends.

missCONGENIALity
04-23-2010, 05:44 PM
What I have been doing for the last two weeks is wearing my hair in twists. Every 3 or 4 days I deep condition my hair. After washing my hair I braid the twist up. In the morning my twist are nice and wavy. Plus, this is a good way to hide any loose roots and ends. I continue to spritz everyday. On Saturday or Sunday I redo some of the unraveled twists.

So far it is working well. My hair feels really good and I am not getting bored with my twist. Plus, I've increased my cardio and water intake. Things are looking good.

kottonkurlz
04-24-2010, 03:28 AM
My husband just did the pull test. He pulled a piece of hair down my back and guess what? I was only 3"+ inches away from bra strap length. I think that bra strap and arm pit length are very close. I am going for arm pit length for sure but I think I will join this challenge to see where I fall in Dec.

Q_tee
04-24-2010, 07:33 PM
I'm in..My hair is past SL...right around my clavicle in the front..My goal is BSL around the nape..and APL or longer in the front...
Regimen:Co wash daily, gel shake n go...basically thats all I do to my hair..

Products:I just tried Eco styler and luv it..so that will be my staple gel...I spritz with a mixture of water, condish (suave) and oil..I may start using the baby buttercreme I have @ night..

Starting Length: clavicle length

Starting Length Picture(s):.will have to take a picture of the hair pull in a few days...

Other Goals: just retention and health.

Other Info:Just dyed my hair so I'm trying to keep it ultra hydrated..

esha555
04-24-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm finished with my 6 month braid challenge in May..I think the back and the front has made pretty good progress...my sides I don't even want to think about because of the breakage, but it's coming back so hopefully I will have pictures in a couple fo weeks with my hair out!

kottonkurlz
04-24-2010, 10:37 PM
clavicle? I was gonna use that as a reference but thought against it, lol. so I decided to use the pic above instead. I was going to wear my hair out for my husbands graduation but I think I'm going to braid it up. I want my hair to be the last thing I have to worry about.

kottonkurlz
04-24-2010, 11:34 PM
one more thing, my hair is soooooooo uneven. I refuse to make it all one length because I would loose so much length in the back. sometimes I feel like I'm cheating. why? because I am also in the shoulder length challenge. How can I be in two? Shoulder length for the top and bra strap length for the back. :lol:

Howardhijabi
04-26-2010, 01:33 AM
lol I see you called me out.....I was going good, but I have been slacking......but I'm back and going strong.....I just ordered some curlformers so excited

NowIamnappy
04-26-2010, 06:17 PM

-

I'm on it tonight!! promise! lol I had trouble logging in for the last 2 weeks but I'm on it tonight

NowIamnappy
04-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Ok this is from March 2010
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll165/Junenappyhead/Picture1176.jpg

kottonkurlz
05-02-2010, 05:41 AM
I am centimeters away. I want to go in my closet and find a high fitting bra.

Q_tee
05-06-2010, 01:29 AM
clavicle? I was gonna use that as a reference but thought against it, lol. so I decided to use the pic above instead. I was going to wear my hair out for my husbands graduation but I think I'm going to braid it up. I want my hair to be the last thing I have to worry about.

LOL..My years of Anatomy and Phys kicked in..

Q_tee
05-06-2010, 01:32 AM
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/76_117/131_53/DSC00721-vi.jpg (http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/76_117/131_53/DSC00721-vi.jpg)

I have a loooooooong way...lol...so my goal is as close as possible to BSL..

Whitley Gilbert
05-11-2010, 01:39 AM
My husband just did the pull test. He pulled a piece of hair down my back and guess what? I was only 3"+ inches away from bra strap length. I think that bra strap and arm pit length are very close. I am going for arm pit length for sure but I think I will join this challenge to see where I fall in Dec.

re the bolded: that's all I was trying to say in my ridiculously long rambling post before. The distinction between apl and bsl can be somewhat 'iffy' to me.

Congrats on being so close to bsl too.

Welcome to all of the new challengers and good luck!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/cRainbowWave.gif

Update: I trimmed this weekend and I just want to say I have nothing but respect for all of the women that trim using the 'search and destroy' method. I don't know how you do it, but it ain't for me. :-)) I tried it on one section and it felt so tedious. There is no way I could do that to my entire head, plus it didn't look nice and evenly cut to me, I could only imagine scraggly looking ends hiding lurking in the shadows, even if they were truly healthy and trimmed. So, I just went through and cut an inch off every section as usual.

I do feel closer to bsl though. I'm so excited I can feel it in my booonnes!!http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/sig.gif

Lookin' good NowIamNappy and Q tee!!!

I'm waiting for coilycurly to give an update in here, since she's rockin' a new 'do. mmmhmmm....

QueenVictoria
05-11-2010, 02:33 AM
I'm pretty close in the back right now...the front not very much...but hey they back is what they see when you walk away right? LOL

Regimen: Dont really have a set one... wash every 2-3 weeks, braid, wear braidouts until its time to wash. Just recently put my hair in mini-twists so hopefully this will help me retain more length than ive been retaining for the last few months!

Products: Giovanni shampoo, just found a bottle of original-formula Creme of Nature conditioner (w00t), my own shealoe and water/glycerin spritz

Starting Length: In the back, in between APL and BSL. the front is in between clavicle & APL

Starting Length Picture(s): Dont hate me! I dont have a starting length pic yet! I just put my hair in twists...but I can take a pic when I take em out!

Other Goals: Just to re-master retaining length. My first year I went natural I retained about 5 inches of growth. I think I got careless along the way. I'm 5 months in so the best I can get is three inches by the end of the year but that's all I need!

Other Info: I wuv you! :p

NowIamnappy
05-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm with you Victoria I only retain about 5 inches a year that usually cuz I've had to do some serious trimming. Its all good I think if I have a solid 3 more inches I will definitely be BSL in the back. I started using a new moisturizer from Bee mine and my hair really seems to like it. I was wearing my fro everyday but I'm back to wearing french roll updos to protect my ends.

mymy
05-11-2010, 01:48 PM
Update: I trimmed this weekend and I just want to say I have nothing but respect for all of the women that trim using the 'search and destroy' method. I don't know how you do it, but it ain't for me. :-)) I tried it on one section and it felt so tedious. There is no way I could do that to my entire head, plus it didn't look nice and evenly cut to me, I could only imagine scraggly looking ends hiding lurking in the shadows, even if they were truly healthy and trimmed. So, I just went through and cut an inch off every section as usual.

Same here. I think I could have trimmed half of my hair in the time I spent searching and destroying on one section. Needless to say I didn't continue. I just don't have the time or patience. I'd much rather cut off the length that needs to go rather than looking at each strand and cutting off splits or knots.

@QV, where did you find that bottle of original CON? I'm still mad that they discontinued it. I have seen the new version of the detangling shampoo in the store, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to buy it. I might break down and do it soon though.

afroknots11412
05-11-2010, 05:41 PM
just came in to say, yeah I'm definitely no doing anymore search and destroys. way too time consuming. you need a good couple of days to get through all the strands. you think you got all the knots and splits and then the next day you are heartbroken because you missed a couple. spent all that time and to still find a couple. nah.

QueenVictoria
05-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm with you Victoria I only retain about 5 inches a year that usually cuz I've had to do some serious trimming. Its all good I think if I have a solid 3 more inches I will definitely be BSL in the back. I started using a new moisturizer from Bee mine and my hair really seems to like it. I was wearing my fro everyday but I'm back to wearing french roll updos to protect my ends. I was wearing my hair out everyday this year too! Just put it in twists last thursday and I missed them so much. I've worn my hair out so much (since last July =S) I dont mind wearing it in twists for the rest of the year LOL So darnit if I dont retain at least two Ima be purdy PO'ed!

@QV, where did you find that bottle of original CON? I'm still mad that they discontinued it. I have seen the new version of the detangling shampoo in the store, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to buy it. I might break down and do it soon though. I found it in my big box of products! LOL I was cleaning the box out and throwing away what I wasnt gonna use and found it. and it seems I poured evoo in it too! MMM! It's a good amount left So I gave myself an extension before going back out and searching for a good condish

esha555
05-28-2010, 05:34 AM
I was wearing my hair out everyday this year too! Just put it in twists last thursday and I missed them so much. I've worn my hair out so much (since last July =S) I dont mind wearing it in twists for the rest of the year LOL So darnit if I dont retain at least two Ima be purdy PO'ed!

I found it in my big box of products! LOL I was cleaning the box out and throwing away what I wasnt gonna use and found it. and it seems I poured evoo in it too! MMM! It's a good amount left So I gave myself an extension before going back out and searching for a good condish

I just saw that you were in here so I wanted to pop in and see how you're doing. How close are you to BSL? Your hair looks so thick!

Whitley Gilbert
06-04-2010, 04:10 AM
I can't believe we're at the half way point.
How are things going for you ladies?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/missing.gif

NowIamnappy
06-04-2010, 03:10 PM
So far I'm doing much better. I've had my hair in twists for the past 2 weeks and prior to that I was wearing updo. I think maybe next week I'll take these twists down and do another length check.. Im hoping to have retained at least an inch. I plan on also doing more cowashes since its been warm and humid in NYC lately.

Whitley Gilbert
06-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Thanks for the update NIAN! I'm looking forward to seeing (or reading about) your length check! :)

I'm still wearing wash n' goes and buns. I know that wash n' goes are probably the reason that I struggle with single strand knots but I can't let them go just yet. I just need to figure out a way to lessen them and keep my wash n' goes.

I did a length check on the June 2nd and the pictures were really crappy and came out dark, nothing special, but I did add them to my siggy. :p It's the back, side, and front, I didn't measure in inches though.

CoilyHairedBeauty
06-08-2010, 03:01 AM
Glad I came in here! I'll start coming in regularly. :)

The back (nape) is like 1-1.5 inches from BSL!

Since I'm layered, the rest is a lil past APL, and then full APL.

My bangs are beginning to touch my chest!

I've definitely noticed some retention. When I first started making my sock buns back in January, I couldn't do them on completely wet, shrunken hair. Well, now I can! :)

Next month, I am going to use a ruler and get the exact number of inches. I'm so excited!

NowIamnappy
06-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Whitley it looks like you are already there. I'm just working on my nape area because my front and sides are so short. I dream of my front to be that long. I'm just working on APL for the front and sides for now.

coilycurly
06-09-2010, 04:23 AM
I just took some pics..too late to fuss around with uploads.

I think, after my trim, I am back to where I started. I have layers.

Hair at my ears is APL, hair at my nape would be bra strap length if I had wide bra straps or wore an ill-fitting bra:D

NowIamnappy
06-09-2010, 04:21 PM
I had to come in here and share.... I was sitting at work undoing my twists in the back and stretched one down and its BSL!!!!! Yayyyyyy I cant wait to undo all my twists and do my official length check!

Whitley Gilbert
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Glad I came in here! I'll start coming in regularly. :)

Yay!!! I'm looking forward to your posts in here!

Whitley it looks like you are already there. I'm just working on my nape area because my front and sides are so short. I dream of my front to be that long. I'm just working on APL for the front and sides for now.

I dunno. I think I still need 2-3 inches. To me it only feels like I'm "a little past apl" and not "close to bsl." It may sound crazy, but the more hair I retain the shorter it feels sometimes.

Congrats on the back reaching bsl too! The rest of your hair will definitely catch up! Now get back to work.:-))

I think, after my trim, I am back to where I started. I have layers.

Hair at my ears is APL, hair at my nape would be bra strap length if I had wide bra straps or wore an ill-fitting bra:D

I have some ill-fitting bras that I need to part with. :-)) For that reason, part of me wants to make one of those shirts with the ruler down the back (that I see on other sites and in fotkis), but another part of me would feel silly wearing it, like I'm just obsessing too much. Also, I never understood why they start at 1" at the shoulder. Shouldn't that number be how ever long your hair is once it hits your shoulders? Maybe it's so that it's standard on everyone. Ok, I'm rambling now, but I have a question...

What do you mean by "after my trim"? Are you referring to your recent cut or did you do both? If both why did you trim so soon after your cut?

coilycurly
06-09-2010, 10:12 PM
^^ I mean my cut. It was more of a reshape - I think of it as a trim because really I only lost length on the very top layers of my hair (the hair that starts at or around the forehead). New layers were added to give me more crown height. The rest was a trim, I would say at most .5 to .75 inches? Shrinkage takes care of the rest. I'll post up some pics - so you see what it looks like after stretching with my nightly braids.

coilycurly
06-10-2010, 02:50 AM
OK, here's my updated photo:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/coilycurly/Hair/IMG00106-20100608-2352.jpg

I ain't as limber as I used to be, it has to be said. I almost threw my arm out getting this pic...

Whitley Gilbert
06-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Thanks for explaining and for the photo update. You definitely still have the length.

I ain't as limber as I used to be, it has to be said. I almost threw my arm out getting this pic...

:-))

I understand. Taking some progress pictures can be a bit of a challenge. Sometimes I have to grab the hair with one hand and then sort of hand it off to the other hand, when doing length checks from the back. Sounds silly, but it's true.

NowIamnappy
06-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Uggh I'm slacking I promise to add a length picture here tomorrow. I've been wearing wash n go buns for the last few days. In the morning I undo my pony tail, lightly rinse add some leave in seal with oil and bun. Hopefully I can get some good retention this way.

NowIamnappy
06-22-2010, 03:01 AM
Here's my June length pic.
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll165/Junenappyhead/Picture1252a.jpg

mymy
06-22-2010, 03:28 AM
NIAN, I think you made it!

NowIamnappy
07-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Hey ladies..this thread has definitely fallen to the way side...Any updates?

coilycurly
07-07-2010, 11:10 PM
Just came back from getting a trim. My stylist was like "WOW - what a growth spurt! I can't believe your hair has grown like that"...guess I should have measured before I trimmed. She only removed teeny bits where necessary. I :)) her idea of a trim....

missCONGENIALity
07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
I trimmed my hair this weekend, it turned out to be more of a cut. I tend to be really heavy handed with the scissors. I always cut too much. Oh well, at least I know my ends are healthy now. I hope to get there by Dec.

Q_tee
07-11-2010, 05:44 PM
my hair is now grazing APL..so BSL seems more of a realistic goal now LOL..

Whitley Gilbert
07-18-2010, 04:08 AM
Hey ladies..this thread has definitely fallen to the way side...Any updates?

I know right.

Maybe we'll get double the updates at the end of the year. *hint hint*

I like to lurk the chin length challenge and they are always posting updates. I think it may be easier for them to update because they have several body indicators to show off their progress (nose, upper lip, bottom lip, etc, etc). There isn't as much going down to bsl... collarbone, arm pit, and that's it. (Unless we count the lady bits :-))).

Or maybe folks are trying not to "watch the pot."

I dunno.

Well, congrats on your bottom layer reaching apl though. What's next for you? Any new goals? Will you focus on getting another section there? You betta not 'peace out' on us!

QuitaD
07-18-2010, 04:32 AM
I just dropped in to be supportive. I haven't taken any pictures in a long time. My hair and I aren't on speaking terms as of late and I'm pretending it doesn't exist lol. You ladies have made great strides... I look forward to the updates (or double updates lol)

ajargon
07-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Hey ya'll,
Well here's the link from last yr. http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106504&highlight=bsl+challenge&page=7
showing the startin pics. I believe in end of may 09 - begining of june 09 I began a cuttin spree, that continued till round april of this year. I didn't let the layers catch up to one another and I wanted my color gone. Here's my update:http://public.fotki.com/ajargon02/growth-tracker/growth-tracker-/the-aftermath.html

ahhhh oh well. I am gonna TRY not to cut.......8)

missCONGENIALity
07-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Ajargon, I am at the same place. I got rid of my rough ends, well I kind of went overboard.

I have to remind myself healthy hair, the length will follow.

ajargon
07-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Ajargon, I am at the same place. I got rid of my rough ends, well I kind of went overboard.

I have to remind myself healthy hair, the length will follow.

Yup! ITA! But you know that little voice in the back of your head tells you, " you could have been on your way to mbl" ........... I KNOW bsl is out for this yr, but hey I am counting on retaining what I have currently, so come december, I WILL be back at apl chasing bsl. Sooooo, I will update/post then :D

kottonkurlz
07-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I made it. But I feel like I'm not really there. There is only one little section of hair that touches the bra strap. I cut my split ends to have healthy hair and I'm glad I did but I want more of my hair to be bra strap length not just 3 twists. Am I being irrational or is bra strap length bra strap length and get over it?

missCONGENIALity
07-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Yup! ITA! But you know that little voice in the back of your head tells you, " you could have been on your way to mbl" ........... I KNOW bsl is out for this yr, but hey I am counting on retaining what I have currently, so come december, I WILL be back at apl chasing bsl. Sooooo, I will update/post then :D

Girl, that voice in my head is loud and is constantly say, "You know you could be xyz right now."

I am focus on retaining too. But like you said got to get to APL first.

MissNic
07-29-2010, 09:32 AM
im out of this challenge like you ladies the trim kinda got outta hand im not even apl!!! however its healthy so cant complain too much

missCONGENIALity
07-29-2010, 07:45 PM
im out of this challenge like you ladies the trim kinda got outta hand im not even apl!!! however its healthy so cant complain too much

You too MissNic, I am blaming it on the heat.;)

coilycurly
07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Update - I have a new regimen.

Day 1 - wash in the am. Apply loads of condish, finger detangle, separating and smoothing each coil...takes about 40 mins to do my head...This is so gentle to my hair, gentler than using a raking motion with my fingers. At night, put in about 6 large braids without combing (just gather up the coils as is) to stretch.

Day 2 - in the am, undo braids and section the stretched coils to make 2 strand twists. I do this while reading the newspaper - takes about 40 mins. Grab and go with my separated coils. This stretches my hair even more, is handy for working out etc. Depending on my schedule, wear the twists for this one day or 2 days.

Day 3 - undo two strand twists and I have the most beautiful glamtastic stretched coily do ever. Can be worn one or two days.

Rinse and repeat. My ends are so soft and happy...

Whitley Gilbert
08-07-2010, 04:31 AM
I just dropped in to be supportive. I haven't taken any pictures in a long time. My hair and I aren't on speaking terms as of late and I'm pretending it doesn't exist lol. You ladies have made great strides... I look forward to the updates (or double updates lol)I've read a few of your post where you two aren't getting along. What's wrong?

I made it. But I feel like I'm not really there. There is only one little section of hair that touches the bra strap. I cut my split ends to have healthy hair and I'm glad I did but I want more of my hair to be bra strap length not just 3 twists. Am I being irrational or is bra strap length bra strap length and get over it?No, you're not being irrational at all. I've said it a few times in this thread, but I'm aiming for the majority of my hair to be bsl also. It may feel like it's taking forever, but it's a good goal imo.

im out of this challenge like you ladies the trim kinda got outta hand im not even apl!!! however its healthy so cant complain too muchAwww. :(

Sad to see you go, but if it's for the sake of healthy ends, then it's completely understandable.

Did you cut it yourself? No goodbye pics of the cut? haha

-----------

Thanks for the updates and pics ajargon.

I want to see this "most beautiful glamtastic stretched coily do ever... that can be worn for one or two day" coilycurly.

-----------

I'm going to try to lay off of the wash 'n goes for a while. Having my hair out makes me want to length check all of the time and that's getting me no where. I'm doing a personal "updo until Christmas" challenge. Hopefully, I'll be more appreciative of my growth /retention this way.

QuitaD
08-07-2010, 08:58 PM
Whitley, it just wont cooperate with me. Things that used to work aren't working anymore, the whole wash and style process takes so long now that after I get through the wash part I don't even style it and I end up looking a mess or wearing at hat or scarf or something to cover it up. My hair is changing on me and i'm not adjusting well to it at all so I've kinda been slumming it hardcore all of 2010.

Krystle~Hime
08-07-2010, 09:40 PM
Hello
I'm at CBL (collarbone)length.
Do you think it's possible to be BSL by the end of this 2010 year? yay or not?

Whitley Gilbert
08-08-2010, 03:27 AM
Whitley, it just wont cooperate with me. Things that used to work aren't working anymore, the whole wash and style process takes so long now that after I get through the wash part I don't even style it and I end up looking a mess or wearing at hat or scarf or something to cover it up. My hair is changing on me and i'm not adjusting well to it at all so I've kinda been slumming it hardcore all of 2010.

Sorry you're having trouble sorta relearning your hair. :( I dunno what to say, but with all of that hair you have it sounds like you need some extremely simple, yet still cute, styles. Don't be slummin' it everyday now or I'll call the fashion po po on you!

Oh, I remember you were looking for a shape to cut your hair into, did you ever find one? Maybe that's what you need.

Hello
I'm at CBL (collarbone)length.
Do you think it's possible to be BSL by the end of this 2010 year? yay or not?

In my opinion, going from CBL to BSL in less than 6 months is an extremely lofty goal. If I were you, I'd set BSL as a long term goal and aim for APL in December. HTH.

:)

coilycurly
08-08-2010, 12:38 PM
Here you go, Whit!

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/coilycurly/Hair/IMG00134-20100724-1353.jpg

On another note, I've always been slightly worried about the amount I shed. I had a visit from one of my sisters who said that she sheds heavily too, to the extent that if she goes to a hairdresser that isn't her regular hairdresser, they think that she is about to go bald. She has plenty of hair and this has been the case for years and years. I don't know why, but I feel a whole lot better...

Krystle~Hime
08-08-2010, 09:41 PM
In my opinion, going from CBL to BSL in less than 6 months is an extremely lofty goal. If I were you, I'd set BSL as a long term goal and aim for APL in December. HTH.

:)

Thank you :)
I hope to be BSL before next summer so..

NRB229
08-09-2010, 01:42 AM
um....when you say BSL do you mean the strap going over your arm or midback, the part that goes across your back.

Whitley Gilbert
08-20-2010, 01:07 AM
(8oCoilycurly, you were not joking! Wow, that style is too freakin' amazing for words!!! I really really love the shape. OMGosh.:))

um....when you say BSL do you mean the strap going over your arm or midback, the part that goes across your back.

The strap that goes across your back horizontally (where the clasp is located).

ayalyrik
08-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I have thinking more and more lately about wanting to get to BSL, which is unusual because I don't usually set length goals. I'm loc'd tho, can I still join in?

Whitley Gilbert
08-22-2010, 06:58 AM
I have thinking more and more lately about wanting to get to BSL, which is unusual because I don't usually set length goals. I'm loc'd tho, can I still join in?

Of course!

Post your stats and don't forget the pitchas. :-))

Regimen:

Products:

Starting Length:

Other Goals:

Other Info:

ayalyrik
08-26-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks for hunting me down Whitley, My ADD has been kicking my butt LOL I'm gonna take some pics and post up my stats. I promise I will come back. :)

NowIamnappy
08-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I know right.

Maybe we'll get double the updates at the end of the year. *hint hint*

I like to lurk the chin length challenge and they are always posting updates. I think it may be easier for them to update because they have several body indicators to show off their progress (nose, upper lip, bottom lip, etc, etc). There isn't as much going down to bsl... collarbone, arm pit, and that's it. (Unless we count the lady bits :-))).

Or maybe folks are trying not to "watch the pot."

I dunno.

Well, congrats on your bottom layer reaching apl though. What's next for you? Any new goals? Will you focus on getting another section there? You betta not 'peace out' on us!

Haha wow just read this.. I've been on vacation and then couldnt log back in so technically I didnt "peace out" haha. I'm back though.. did absolutely nothing with my hair but put it in twists for a month and wash the heck out of them... So yes my next goal is to stop being lazy with my hair and some more protective styles.

My next goal is to get my bangs to apl and the next layer of my hair to BSL. I'll post an update pic in september.

NowIamnappy
09-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Well I'm dropping out. I went to the salon and asked for a trim and the stylist ended up cutting over 3 inches off. She claimed she was evening out my layers.. thats not what I asked for. My goal is to gain those inches back in 6 months time.. which will means I wont be BSL again until next year.

Whitley Gilbert
09-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I'm trying to wear boxbraids as a protective style until Christmas.

My scalp was itching terribly when I put them in and I don't know why. Tee tree oil shampoo helped.

I think I'll do a new set in a few weeks. Don't know if I want to go smaller or larger though.

Well I'm dropping out. I went to the salon and asked for a trim and the stylist ended up cutting over 3 inches off. She claimed she was evening out my layers.. thats not what I asked for. My goal is to gain those inches back in 6 months time.. which will means I wont be BSL again until next year.

How is she gonna take it upon herself to even your hair out when you didn't even ask for that?8)

Sorry you're out of the challenge and setback by 3 inches.

Do you at least like the new shape/cut? Any pics?

Still, good luck growing your hair out and boo hoo to you leaving the us. :(

Ms-gg
09-14-2010, 09:25 PM
She was just hatin...them scissor happy stylist stay hatin....

ajargon
09-16-2010, 02:37 AM
Just peekin in. Like I said, I'm out for BSL by dec, but I seem to be retaining pretty well. If I remember, I will post pics this weekend after washing.....it's nice to see all the progress and updates btw!!!(:-)

toriq
09-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Girl you too??? Lol i was just ranting in the APL hair challenge thread how this trick cut about 1 1/4" unstreched (about 2" streched!) of my hair (on ONE SIDE caz her ig'gnant *** clearly never cut a fro before). i was heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaated bc i realized it much later after twisting. Dumb trick.

Well since armpit is not too far from a brastrap, you wanna rejoin this challenge until end of year?? Maybe we can grow it back, take a pic, and shove it in their faces? yey? nay? lol

i'll repost what i wrote in the APL Challenge thread here in terms of regimen, etc.

NowIamnappy
09-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Girl you too??? Lol i was just ranting in the APL hair challenge thread how this trick cut about 1 1/4" unstreched (about 2" streched!) of my hair (on ONE SIDE caz her ig'gnant *** clearly never cut a fro before). i was heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaated bc i realized it much later after twisting. Dumb trick.

Well since armpit is not too far from a brastrap, you wanna rejoin this challenge until end of year?? Maybe we can grow it back, take a pic, and shove it in their faces? yey? nay? lol

i'll repost what i wrote in the APL Challenge thread here in terms of regimen, etc.

Yes I'm with you I will rejoin this challenge.. I'll definitely take a pic of my hair and where I'm at now... Just so pissed everytime I think about it.

I'm trying to wear boxbraids as a protective style until Christmas.

My scalp was itching terribly when I put them in and I don't know why. Tee tree oil shampoo helped.

I think I'll do a new set in a few weeks. Don't know if I want to go smaller or larger though.

How is she gonna take it upon herself to even your hair out when you didn't even ask for that?8)

Sorry you're out of the challenge and setback by 3 inches.

Do you at least like the new shape/cut? Any pics?

Still, good luck growing your hair out and boo hoo to you leaving the us. :(

Girl I'm rejoining it and aiming for it in 6 months. So tight.. when I had asked her what she was doing she told me to hush and let her do her work cuz she knows best... Then she had the audacity to say that I needed the cut so that when I wore my hair straight it would look good. I was like I dont wear my hair straight so I dont care about how many layers my hair is in.. She's like your boyfriend will like you better, men like change so you should try to switch it up.. I was like No boo boo my man loves my nappy hair.. smh SMDH!

The cut is just ok I mean its much easier to wash again cuz its so much shorter but I miss my length when I'm trying to pin back updos.

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow to show you where I'm at again

Whitley Gilbert
09-17-2010, 03:30 AM
girl i'm rejoining it and aiming for it in 6 months. So tight.. When i had asked her what she was doing she told me to hush and let her do her work cuz she knows best... Then she had the audacity to say that i needed the cut so that when i wore my hair straight it would look good. I was like i dont wear my hair straight so i dont care about how many layers my hair is in.. She's like your boyfriend will like you better, men like change so you should try to switch it up.. I was like no boo boo my man loves my nappy hair.. Smh smdh!

The cut is just ok i mean its much easier to wash again cuz its so much shorter but i miss my length when i'm trying to pin back updos.

I'll upload some pictures tomorrow to show you where i'm at again

WHAT THE HILL!!!! >:(

The bolded is just over the top. Are ya'll really good friends or family? Something close? Geez, does she know you like that to be telling you what your man likes? I would have been extra pissed too! And she told you to hush? Heffa, this is my head I'm paying you to do it how I tell you to! Now, you hush... bish!

8)

NowIamnappy
09-24-2010, 02:57 PM
WHAT THE HILL!!!! >:(

The bolded is just over the top. Are ya'll really good friends or family? Something close? Geez, does she know you like that to be telling you what your man likes? I would have been extra pissed too! And she told you to hush? Heffa, this is my head I'm paying you to do it how I tell you to! Now, you hush... bish!

8)

Shes not family nor do I know her like that, but my boyfriends sister works there so I was trying to keep my cool. I guess she felt she could say whats on her mind.. Nontheless I'm getting over this.. here's some pics of my hair cut.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll165/Junenappyhead/SDC15132.jpg
http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll165/Junenappyhead/SDC15133.jpg

toriq
09-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Still at it! For some reason it's been about 10 days since i've had my extensions and my hair seems to be growing! i think this is the case bc my scalp only starts fuzzing when i i don't do twists/braids tight, or when i wet it a lot in the shower. Neither of those were the case, but i did do a lot of massaging of the MoeOil on my head, so maybe some fuzz is attributed to that. But otherwise, it just might be growth. (:

i don't have a camera at the moment, so i've been taking videos on my iPod, that i usually prntscrn|cut|copy|paste my pics from, so hopefully when i'll get that up soon when i have some downtime.

Forgot to post my regimen from the other thread. Here it is:

So here's what i've been planning until end of year:

~conditioner-wash every 2 weeks

:: alternating between washing with plain cond + black soap water + oil, and a salted cond, which is mixing about 1 tsp of dissolved sea salt with about 8-9 oz of conditioner. ::
~deep condition every 2 weeks or less

:: conditioner will consist of castor oil and honey, and rhassoul clay (once a month)::
:: will wrap in a plastic cap and heat with blow dryer ::
~keeping it in extensions

:: not sure how this will work, ESPECIALLY with my wash & DC regimen, but this was my plan. Hope kinky twists doesn't break my hair like yarn twists ): ::

~using Moe's Growth Oil every other night

:: currently concocted with just horsetail extract as the herbal supplement...wondering if i should add any other powerful herb::
~taking vitamin supplements like the age-old HF37 pills

:: anyone else take this back in the day as a permie? i've recently got back on them sometime in mid july. i have about another month's supply left, but i'll be reordering to last me until december. THIS ONE MAY CHANGE because i'm not a huge fan of taking vitamin supplements. :

Just09
09-28-2010, 08:09 PM
Just over here snooping, but that cut is very nice and you wear it well.

.. here's some pics of my hair cut.

Whitley Gilbert
09-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Your cut is very cute NIAN.

NowIamnappy
10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks ladies.. my new regimen will definitely be protective styles until the end of this year. I will occasionally maybe once a month wear an out style for two days but no more then that. My protective style of choice is twists and updo or a combination of both.

I plan to wash my hair once every 2 weeks, cowash weekly or twice weekly until it gets freezing cold. Moisturize my hair everyday/other day and oil my scalp twice a week. I plan on deep conditioning my hair weekly as well. Also I want to henna once a month again. Last time that really strengthen my hair for the winter.

coilycurly
10-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Shes not family nor do I know her like that, but my boyfriends sister works there so I was trying to keep my cool. I guess she felt she could say whats on her mind.. Nontheless I'm getting over this.. here's some pics of my hair cut.

I like it!!! I'm going to the salon on the weekend...not sure exactly what I want done. Gosh, I'm like a man with an old car that he likes tinkering with...I'll measure my hair before and after. I suspect I may be BSL but who knows after I figure out what I want...

coilycurly
10-06-2010, 11:28 PM
No better time than the present...

Here's a length check...So close I can smell it...oh well we'll see what we see after Saturday. I'm quite happy with my hair this length...I was surprised when the salon called to remind me of the appointment. I'll make up my mind before Saturday

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg230/coilycurly/Hair/DSCN0019.jpg

MzBNS2010
10-11-2010, 07:50 PM
I haven't been on here in a while! But I recently checked my hair length after at least 8 months and I have made progress! http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/mzbns2010/5072286867/

MzBNS2010
10-11-2010, 07:52 PM
I will have to post a pic later bc this one didn't show up but I am maybe an inch away from BSL.

MzBNS2010
10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mzbns2010/5072286867/

Whitley Gilbert
10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Very Nice Coilycurly. What did you decide to do about the cut/salon visit?

MzBNS2010, are you trying to use flickr to upload your pics? You may need to use something like photobucket, imageshack, tinypic, etc to upload the pic or post the link to the flickr pic so that we can go to it directly. I'd like to see your updates, either way kudos on your progress.

My Update: I'm excited! I think I can confidently claim BSL now and (inadvertently while striving for the bottom of my bra strap) I feel really close to mid-back length... or I at least I think I may be lol... actually I don't know exactly what MBL is exactly. *shameface* )8-|

This is the best that I can do pic-wise for now. I'll try to have some good ones when December rolls around (for the end of this challenge).:)
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a437/mbmjinfinity/hairtopica/LC12.jpg

Diane8783
10-13-2010, 04:29 PM
@Whitley I love your hair. So beautiful and thick.

Ms-gg
10-13-2010, 04:37 PM
Beautiful Whit Whit and Coily!!! You def are MBL girl :)

MahoganyBeauty
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
I'm looking to switch up my regimen and try something new because my hair has been at a standstill in length for the last year.

I have type 4 cottony soft hair with fine strands.

What is your hair care regimen?

CoilyHairedBeauty
10-14-2010, 11:03 PM
Just realized I met my goal! Like a couple of days ago! Three months ahead of schedule! Soooo now I'm a layered BSL!!!!! Omg!
:p

Words of advice: Simplicity is key!

coilycurly
10-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Very Nice Coilycurly. What did you decide to do about the cut/salon visit?

MzBNS2010, are you trying to use flickr to upload your pics? You may need to use something like photobucket, imageshack, tinypic, etc to upload the pic or post the link to the flickr pic so that we can go to it directly. I'd like to see your updates, either way kudos on your progress.

My Update: I'm excited! I think I can confidently claim BSL now and (inadvertently while striving for the bottom of my bra strap) I feel really close to mid-back length... or I at least I think I may be lol... actually I don't know exactly what MBL is exactly. *shameface* )8-|

This is the best that I can do pic-wise for now. I'll try to have some good ones when December rolls around (for the end of this challenge).:)
http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/a437/mbmjinfinity/hairtopica/LC12.jpg

Oh..talk about overkill!!! MBL my girl, time to get your booty out of this challenge.

Very uneventful salon visit. My ends were in good condition...new routine is working. so she snipped off tiny bits where needed and shaped a few stragglers.

I'm happy with the outcome. By Dec I should be clearly and fully BSL if all goes according to plan.

C'mon CHB, we wanna see pics!

NowIamnappy
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Go head Whitley!! Rub it in with your MBL hair girl GET OUTTA HERE Lol.

@coilycurly I wanna see pics after the lil trim

@Coilyhairedbeauty we definitely need to see pics..at least one

ajargon
10-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Beautiful Whit Whit and Coily!!! You def are MBL girl :)

I was just thinking this! Gone and get it Whitely!!!!;)

mymy
10-17-2010, 06:42 AM
Congrats coily curly and WG!

MBL is the bottom of your bra strap according to charts.

I think you can move on to the waist length challenge now since you already made it to MBL.

Ms-gg
10-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Just realized I met my goal! Like a couple of days ago! Three months ahead of schedule! Soooo now I'm a layered BSL!!!!! Omg!
:p

Words of advice: Simplicity is key!

Congrats! :)

Whitley Gilbert
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I'm looking to switch up my regimen and try something new because my hair has been at a standstill in length for the last year.

I have type 4 cottony soft hair with fine strands.

What is your hair care regimen?

I'm not sure if you were replying to me or someone else. Either way, my routine is very very simple. I co-wash/rinse daily, bun, and do an occasional wash n' go or boxbraids. For products, I simply leave a bit of conditioner in and add an oil like coconut oil or olive oil on top. I shampoo and deep condition every weekend and keep castor oil on the ends. Sometimes depending on the style/look that I'm going for I use some aloe vera gel. I try not to manipulate my hair too much. That's it really. Let me know if you need more specifics or have questions. HTH.

@Coilyhairedbeauty we definitely need to see pics..at least one

C'mon CHB, we wanna see pics!
I'm with them. Please share, CHB! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/naturalstarlet/Smilies/ess25.gif

Thanks for the kind comments ya'll and I really appreciate the clarification mymy. I was thinking of bsl and mbl as one length actually (the just seem too close to me). I ignored the back, while hoping for the crown and front to reach bsl, (I still need about an inch or two there). So I did a length check last week and the back surprised me. I'm mad ya'll are kicking me out though lol. :( I'm still gonna pop in and drool over everyone's pics.:p