PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver

teekydawg
05-21-2004, 06:05 PM
I'm teaching myself... well I sorta learned a previous version 2-3 years ago but have since lost notes and forgot about it. Now this MX version has me stumped.

If anyone has some good links or advice when using it i'd greatly appreciate it.... I've been to the Macromedia site and read through the guides that they provide but it talks about alot of stuff i'm not knowledgeable about. I just want basics. I'm winging it now and Yeah!!! i figured out how to publish my site to my server (? not sure if that's the right terms) I have Macromedia MX suite

teekydawg
05-26-2004, 11:47 PM
anybody, anybody.... or would this fair better in the education board... i wasn't too sure

honeychild
05-28-2004, 06:45 PM
hmm. did you do the tutorials embedded in the program?

otherwise, i'd recommend the "quickstart" guides ... available at most bookstores, and you can prolly find a discounted one at amazon. they usually only cost abt $20 or so and are focused on giving you an immediately useful, working knowledge of how the programs work.

good luck! i really like dreamweaver a lot, hope it's good for you!

sandye1957
05-28-2004, 08:46 PM
The Dreamweaver HOT (hands on training) books are pretty good.

teekydawg
06-01-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks ladies....

@honeychild... yeah i read through them but it didn't make sense to me, perhaps it's the language but i remember learning about setting up a root folder and now i can't find anything about that. i want to add files to my site and can't figure that out. what i have figured out was by accident and i'm having a hard time duplicating the action.... anyway i digress... i'm sure i'll figure it out eventually :-? :tiptoe

saga30311
06-02-2004, 01:46 AM
@teeky - I normally get all my computer books (for any software/technology) from the library, unless it's a technology I'm going to be married to for a while. The books are free, and DW's base technology didn't change much between DW 5.0 and MX.

Check out your local library's catalog, and search for Dreamweaver:
DC Library (http://www.dclibrary.org/)

The book for MX is checked out at the moment, but you should be able to reserve it if you have a library card, and then you can get started with the 1998 book until the person returns it.

If you want a book of your own, try Amazon'z Z-shops & used sellers. You should be able to save some $$$ that way ;-) Other than that, the tutorials from Adobe/Macromedia are pretty decent as well, and should be installed with the software.

HTH :-)

honeychild
06-02-2004, 10:12 AM
checking the library is an excellent idea!

to answer yr question abt the root folder -- what dreamweaver does is open up a bunch of seperate files (images, html pages, scripts, etc) as though they are one incorporated item - a website. the root folder is just the place on your computer where all the files are stored.

i'm on a mac so yr menu options might be a little different than these if you're on a PC; but to make a site from scratch, i click the 'site' menu and choose 'new site.' from there, i can identify or create a root folder on my hard drive, and put the FTP/upload information in. once the site is made i can go to the 'file' menu and choose 'new' to make new pages. they're saved under the site root & then when everything is finished, the whole site (or whatever pages you changed) can be uploaded/downloaded from the server using the 'put' or 'get' commands.

once you have a blank page displayed, go to the 'window' menu and choose 'properties' and 'insert' to display the two most commonly used palettes. in the 'insert' palette, you can insert a form, create framesets, put images and text on your page, etc. in the 'properties' pallette you can single-click any item on a page and display or change information about it: the display size of images on the page, the width of table cells, whatever.

if that doesn't help, try looking up 'create site' in the help files - i think there's a search function under 'reference'

hth

teekydawg
06-02-2004, 09:25 PM
thanks so much ladies... your info has helped... unfortunately i live in the boon docks and technology books in the library are close to nill.

i just realized something.... i was trained previously on dreamweaver on a MAC, now i'm teaching myself on a PC... so there could be a difference. i found MAC alot easier... so that could be part of my confusion...

Thanks Again Ladies!!