PDA

View Full Version : NYC Natural Hair Salon Suggestions Please!

Tempest
03-10-2010, 06:26 AM
I was interested in doing a consultation and perhaps I will do something relatively natural and low maintenance with the stylist that I can later do at home. I was wondering if there were any natural hair care locations in NYC that can provide this. I am interested in comfortable, aesthetically pleasing surroundings, somewhat reasonable prices, and also a decent amount of professionalism.
Does anyone have a location in mind that they would vouch for?

masoesa
03-10-2010, 10:57 AM
There are plenty of stylists in NYC but what do you mean by relatively natural?

Tempest
03-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I meant, I do not want to do a style that includes braids, extensions or the use of heat. I wanted to discover styles in which my hair will be used without addition or heat treatment.

jad2k
03-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm thinking about going to Devachan (they are in SOHO). I've been to Curve/Miss Jessee's in BK and didn't really like it. The people that started Devachan pioneered the whole "no-poo" method so even though it's not a "natural salon" (meaning targeted to Black women) I'm thinking they would have a good handle on natural black hair since the principles around 'no-poo' work really well for napturals. I was going to check them out in person to get a feel for the place then make an appointment. I need a hair cut and I’d like to get highlights. I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

IndividualME
03-31-2010, 12:47 AM
Great Question!! I live in NYC as well.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
You can try Tameeka in Far Rockaway, she is really good. The options you are looking for is what she promotes. I can send you her information if you like.

If you want to come to NJ, I found a great loctain (sp) in Bayoone. It is really easy to get to her, her prices are EXCELLENT. The name of her shop is Knotty Roots, and you go to Facebook to get her info. Just type in Knotty Roots.

I am positive you will help with either of the two.

IndividualME
04-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks sooo much SweetHoneyLocs

btownyaknow
04-14-2010, 02:49 AM
I'm going to Patrick Wellington Salon on Saturday afternoon. It is located in Chelsea - W 23rd between 6th and 7th. It is my first time going and I am in my transition period. When I spoke with Patrick he seemed as though he was experience in natural hair and open to helping me learn to style my own. I am super excited and will definitely let you know how it goes. His prices are a bit expensive - he said between $85 - $115 which is way out of budget when I'm used to paying $20 for a wash n go at Bebe's in Harlem (135th). Can someone let me know if those prices are a bit crazy?

NaturalBlissfulness
04-14-2010, 05:22 AM
You may want to try Tendrils in Brooklyn. Its in Fort Greene just off of Atlantic Avenue.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-14-2010, 02:18 PM
btownyaknow what exactly are you looking for to have done? This well help us understand better why the prices from Patrick are so high.

Did you ask him questions such as: how long has he been in business?, what products does he use?, what does in focus on doing natural hair? i.e making it healthy, helping client gain length, etc...

I recommend you give Tameeka a call, she is located in Far Rockaway. It is very easy to get to her all you have to do is take the A train (Far Rockaway/JFK one) to the last stop and walk 2 blocks. Her prices are reasonable, depending on what you looking to have done, and she is very knowledgeable in the care of natural hair. She will also help as well as guide you through discovering how to care for your own hair.

Her number is 646-379-0496, tell her Queenie recommend her to you. Take care and enjoy your natural journey.

btownyaknow
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Thank you so much! I didn’t even think to ask those questions. I will definitely give her a call - thank you again!

I am looking for someone that can work with me in my transition period and help me grow my natural hair but also show me how I can take care of it at home. I’ve been watching youtube videos of roller sets, straw twist, etc but I don’t know if my hair can do that as I still have a lot of relaxer in it. I can’t remember the last time I had a relaxer but based on the bulking of my mother I am guessing my last touch up was about 8 weeks ago. I am having a hard time finding styles that I can wear to work (corporate environment) and also out on the town. Right now, I am wearing it in ponytails and down but I don’t want to put a lot of heat on it so I haven’t been bumping the ends which makes it look stringy and not put together.

I will definitely give her a call and see if I can get added to her appt book!

Cheers,
Brittany

MissQueenie
04-15-2010, 06:27 PM
You know I've been looking for a natural stylist as well and I live 15 minutes from Far Rockaway. Do you think Tameeka will mind if I give her a call as well?

SweetHoneyLocs
04-19-2010, 01:03 PM
^^ Tameeka's number is 646-379-0496.

Feel free to give her a call, she will appreciate the business and you will appreciate her services.

Tell her Queenie recommended her...told you that you were using my real name!! LOL

ilovelife
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
There are plenty of stylists in NYC but what do you mean by relatively natural?

I love the styles in your pictures. I am looking for a hairstylist too preferably in the Bronx where I live. Any recommendations?

Miss Jay
04-20-2010, 07:53 PM
If you want to come to NJ, I found a great loctain (sp) in Bayoone. It is really easy to get to her, her prices are EXCELLENT. The name of her shop is Knotty Roots, and you go to Facebook to get her info. Just type in Knotty Roots.

What did you think about Knotty Roots? I'm thinking about going to try them out one of these days.

SweetHoneyLocs
04-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Knotty Roots is GREAT!! I am going to more for my first retwist. The owner was co-owner of a salon in Baltimore for a few years. She wanted to return to NJ, so she opened Knotty Roots in March. Her prices are EXCELLENT!! I paid $65 for her to start my locs and the retwist is $45.

Mizan, the owner, really knows her stuff and has very beautiful locks.

XOkitkatXO13
05-14-2010, 10:54 PM
I just made an appt to go to Knotty Roots tomorrow, so fingers crossed. I have been looking for a natural hair care salon, not just an african braiding shop, in NJ for a long time (one with affordable prices), so I REALLY hope it works out tomorrow. I've had some bad experiences!

You can try Tameeka in Far Rockaway, she is really good. The options you are looking for is what she promotes. I can send you her information if you like.

SweetHoneyLocs
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
^^LOL!!! Was that you in the chair when I came in around 5 pm? Mizan was doing your hair and Charlie retwisted my locs.

LadyR3D
05-19-2010, 09:15 AM
ugh wish I were home to give you a run down list of natural hair salons in NY. I found so many!!! What i will do is post a link for you to searach www.treasuredlocs.com (I think google treasure locs to be sure) search from there. I will come online tomorrow with a list of salons.

LadyR3D
05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Knotty Roots........I went there for my BC...fell in love and will be going back often lolz :)