PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Loc Buddy

raziel26403
03-16-2010, 03:37 AM
I started my locs with comb twists on November 20, 2009, and it seems like they're taking forever to lock up. Would like a loc buddy to help me out on my journey

BeautifulFlow
03-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I started my locs with comb twists on November 20, 2009, and it seems like they're taking forever to lock up. Would like a loc buddy to help me out on my journey

Hello! I'm in South Bend, but I started with comb coils almost a year ago, and as I can, I will most certainly be willing to help! I have a few loc buddies!:)

I will say that locing is most certainly a patience game. And everyone's hair will loc in different time spans!

raziel26403
03-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Hello, thanks for being my lock buddy. I have so many questions, cause I wanna know if I should start maintaining them myself or keep paying someone to do it for me. I can't find someone who actually has locs to do my hear, and everyone has their own way. She just retwists them every 2 weeks, and I wanna know is that all that needs to be done. I do my best to maintain, by spritzing my hair with rosemary oil and covering it at night.
Are you supposed to latch hook, to tighten your locs, or should I wait til it gets longer? Because as of right now every time i get it done the base doesnt stay tight for long especially since I exercise and sweating alot. Anything you tell me would be sooo great and helpful.

BeautifulFlow
03-17-2010, 07:29 PM
Hello, thanks for being my lock buddy. I have so many questions, cause I wanna know if I should start maintaining them myself or keep paying someone to do it for me. I can't find someone who actually has locs to do my hear, and everyone has their own way. She just retwists them every 2 weeks, and I wanna know is that all that needs to be done. I do my best to maintain, by spritzing my hair with rosemary oil and covering it at night.
Are you supposed to latch hook, to tighten your locs, or should I wait til it gets longer? Because as of right now every time i get it done the base doesnt stay tight for long especially since I exercise and sweating alot. Anything you tell me would be sooo great and helpful.

Well, I'm not going to say that I have the CORRECT answers to everything you've asked. One thing I will say that may be frustrating for some, is that with locs...there just ISN'T one answer that's going to be right for EVERY person. And I do suggest you going into the loc section, because there are lots of posts on methods and maintaining, and products. Now with my coils, I just kept them retwisted, but I only went back every 4 weeks, as it can somewhat retard the loc-ing process to keep going to get it retwisted. I didn't spray anything EVERY night, but some do, and if it keeps your hair moist, do your thing! I exercise as well, and so if you find that to be more frstrating than you're willing to deal with, latching might be something to consider. I however, used cottonballs and Seabreeze astringent on my scalp after exercising so as not to see so much unraveling of the twists. As you continue you won't have as much issue, your hair will train itself to stay coiled tighter and will begin to loc! I retwist my friends' hair at school, but haven't ventured out into maintaining the twists before they loc! Hope you find someone! If you feel comfortable maintaining yourself, do it! There are plenty of DIY'ers on this board...I'm one of them, but I waited to maintain my own until I started loc-ing. Hope some of that helps! Hit me anytime!

raziel26403
03-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Thank you for the info, looks like I still have a ways to go. My hair is really thick so I guess it's taking longer than I thought. I'll start using the seabreeze like you mentioned. Thanks again

raziel26403
03-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I did have one more question, there are a lot dreadlock websites that sell products like residue free shampoo and dread wax. I like the shampoo but is the wax intented for our hair or white people? They state there's no beeswax just natural ingredients. The websites are knottyboy and dreadheadhq.

BeautifulFlow
04-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I did have one more question, there are a lot dreadlock websites that sell products like residue free shampoo and dread wax. I like the shampoo but is the wax intented for our hair or white people? They state there's no beeswax just natural ingredients. The websites are knottyboy and dreadheadhq.

I'm so sorry I missed this! Um...I'm honestly not the best person when it comes to products, I and my loctitian mix our own products...no wax involved. I would say that ANY wax is a recipe for buildup and lint trapping, lol.