PDA

View Full Version : Heat is just as bad as that CFC!!

Padme32
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I just wanted to share this post (http://bglhonline.com/2010/03/salon-horror-another-head-of-natural-hair-goes-down-in-a-hail-of-flat-iron-smoke/#comments) from Black Girl with Long Hair about one of their readers (who was also featured in a past post for her awesome natural hair) who experienced severe heat damage and wanted to warn other naturals to be careful. She had to basically start over again and BC, so the stylist really messed her hair up bad.

I really believe that heat is as bad as the CFC...for those early in the journey, don't be fooled!! Once you get that head of healthy, natural hair, keep it that way by avoiding heat.

bhop13
03-16-2010, 11:14 PM
It really sucks that she ended up with so much heat damage and had to BC again but I disagree with the anger towards the stylist. That stylist could specialize in natural hair and if someone wants a certain style she's going to give it to them. If the girl walked in wanting her hair pressed then that's what the stylist is going to do...get your hair as straight as she can. That's what I'd do if I were a stylist, LOL.

I totally get where she's coming from because I've been there but looking back I can't be all that mad at the stylist. I didn't give them instructions, I sat in the chair while they did what they did and said nothing, paid them plus the tip and then kept on going back.

Padme32
03-16-2010, 11:23 PM
It really sucks that she ended up with so much heat damage and had to BC again but I disagree with the anger towards the stylist. That stylist could specialize in natural hair and if someone wants a certain style she's going to give it to them. If the girl walked in wanting her hair pressed then that's what the stylist is going to do...get your hair as straight as she can. That's what I'd do if I were a stylist, LOL.

I totally get where she's coming from because I've been there but looking back I can't be all that mad at the stylist. I didn't give them instructions, I sat in the chair while they did what they did and said nothing, paid them plus the tip and then kept on going back.

ITA with you on this...

LBellatrix
03-16-2010, 11:27 PM
But it wasn't like she kept on going back...this was a one-time visit. And one time was all it took to damage her hair.

I can't believe I'm about to say this but: When I was first natural and had my stylist press my hair (after almost a year of no heat) he too used a blow dryer, a flat iron, AND a hot comb. But I had no heat damage...and given the fineness of my strands, you'd think I'd have had SOME. I question whether it's possible for a stylist to gauge how much heat a head of hair can take simply by looking at it. Still, I do think they should underestimate rather than overestimate.

Lollapalooza
03-17-2010, 12:33 AM
Heat is not as bad as the CFC, but it's pretty bad. Heat on your hair is not some chemical that burns your scalp off and breaks the bonds of your hair. If someone wants to use heat once in a while, that's fine...but I think it's just better to embrace your own texture, and if you want to switch it up once in a while (like we all do), fine.

AuNappturale
03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
No good can come of using heat. Steer clear. I, too, was devastate by having to BC 5 years' worth of growth due to heat damage. It's the debbil.

kyamiina
03-17-2010, 12:46 AM
poor girl. I don't use heat but got a blow out last fall for a trim and i had no problem. i think it depends on your hair texture. heat can be damaging but i don't think it's a damaging as CFC.

Just thinking about how my scalp would be all red and enflamed afterwards... relaxers are bad, very bad.

Moderator Y
03-17-2010, 01:35 AM
TOPIC CLOSED. Contrary to what was typed in the first post, HEAT IS JUST AS BAD AS A P.ERM. NO SPINOFFS.