PDA

View Full Version : 1 Month Hot Oil Treatment Challenge

prtywvylocs
04-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Wow, okay, I just did this lastnight and my hair is in love. :D

Product: Africas Best Ultimate Herbal Oil with Gingseng

Cost: about $2 at walmart

Challenge: use this for a hot oil treatment once a week for four weeks, i.e: 1 month

Post up your results. :D

I just thought of this because, all my life i have had sandpaper hair :( its so dry and i just didnt know what to do, i have 8 month old locs and i have used this oil since ive started my locs, never used it as a hot oil treatment though. Even though it says on the bottle its good for everything. :D it smells great and is so super cheap i couldn't believe it.

So yea, lets do this together, its a great light oil that i use for my hair daily since my hair is so dry, but like i said it is so super great for hot oil treatments i just had to tell everyone. Trust me, if you love well moisturized hair, you will love this!!!!!

wugambina
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Just curious, what does it smell like?

prtywvylocs
04-08-2010, 09:07 PM

Its smells good, :D i mean i can't compare it to anything, but its not stinky, if that helps. If not, if you would like, i can list all of the ingrediants. :)

HappyNappy0210
04-10-2010, 03:15 PM
I forgot all about the Africa's Best oil. It has a light, crisp, somewhat floral smell. It is great for your skin too, and little goes a long way.

naturalmadison
04-11-2010, 04:36 AM
I just used this as a hot oil treatment mixed with some unrefined coconut oil for my pre poo. My hair is so soft and even elongated. I usually only do a hot oil treatment once a month though and DC at least once a week.

prtywvylocs
04-12-2010, 04:21 PM
So who has decised to take on the challenge for a month, cause i know i am! :D (i just did mine for week two so dont let me go it alone :) )

AksanaAnais
04-17-2010, 02:18 AM
I'm always down for a challenge. I just twisted my hair so I will probably do my first one next week.

thePerfectFool
04-17-2010, 03:31 AM

Smells like baby oil to me, but I'm sure it's a little different for everyone.

I'm definitely in for the challenge! I love Africa's Best :D

Princess Pamplemousse
04-26-2010, 07:58 PM
I just used this as a hot oil treatment mixed with some unrefined coconut oil for my pre poo. My hair is so soft and even elongated. I usually only do a hot oil treatment once a month though and DC at least once a week.

@NaturalMadison (or anyone else still around!) What's the difference between your hot oil treatment and your DC?? Do they do different things or do you just like to switch it up? Thanks!

monappy28
04-26-2010, 09:56 PM
Smells like baby oil to me, but I'm sure it's a little different for everyone.

I'm definitely in for the challenge! I love Africa's Best :D

I agree it smells like baby oil. I just finished a bottle of this )8-| so I won't be using this kind.....the thing is, I don't think my hair likes hot oil treatments. They usually leave a film......but I have TONS of oil that I need to get rid of, so I may indulge......however, I challenge myself to do one once a month because I only wash my hair every 2-3 weeks. It's usually in twsits.

stisdale
09-13-2010, 09:16 PM
I just begain showing my natural hair about 2 months ago. I have been natural for one year and a half. Since have been wearing my hair i have noticed alot of shedding. Is this normal? Please help, i'm very concerned

Kurliez
09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
stisdale, I don't know if it's normal or not. Are the relaxed hair ends that are finally falling off? Is your hair super dry? Are you using any protein or hot oil treatments? Hopefully, maybe a good hot oil treatment, ceramide oil use (in shampoos and conditioners), or increased (maybe decreased) protein treatment may help you. You're just going to have to experienment with different products and regimens to see what works.

Kurliez
09-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I've been really slacking on using my hot oil treatments. I'm definitely going to start next month so I can properly time my treatments. I haven't been able to give full attention to my hair this month.

Afrodisiac_W
09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
@NaturalMadison (or anyone else still around!) What's the difference between your hot oil treatment and your DC?? Do they do different things or do you just like to switch it up? Thanks!

for me, I do a dc with a concoction and oil may or may not be a small ingredient in the mixture. for example, ive done a hair mayo/honey dc; a honey/olive oil dc; regular ol hair condish/ylang ylang oil dc. My hot oil treatments are just oil, oil, and more oil.

Her_Essence
10-29-2012, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone. This is how it's been for me:

Oct. 24th: Big chop
Oct. 25th: Began hot oil/Baggy Challenge

For one month Starting Oct. 25th, I wash my hair once a week with a peppermint castile soap. Every other night I've been applying my homemade concoction of:

Coconut Oil
Jojoba Oil
Olive Oil
Grapeseed Oil
Canola Oil
Honey

After I rinse my hair with warm water, I apply my oils (liberally) and then baggy and wrap with a scarf. I leave it on over night. My "hot oil treatment" is really just the Green House Effect, so my oils are warmed by the natural heat produced by my body. I have no real need to do a hot oil treatment using this method on my hair. When I wake up, I do nothing more than finger comb my hair and pat it down. My hair stays well moisturized during the day and even after my 8hr shift- still soft.

The nights in between (when I don't baggy), I lightly spritz my hair with water, apply my oils (sparingly) and wrap with my scarf. Same process, but less water, less oil and no baggying. I'll do this until November 22nd. So far, so good. If my results improve more over the course of this challenge, the only thing I plan to alter is baggying every 3 days (instead of every other) and using shea butter after my oils are applied.

Let y'all know!

Her_Essence
10-29-2012, 04:11 AM
Just one thing to add:

My hair at its longest is one inch long. This is really why I'm so comfortable putting water on it every day- because it dries fast. I don't have to worry about a mildew smell coming from my hair. Even so, I may alter my regimen a little. As I said above, every other day when I baggy, I rinse my hair with warm water. Because I rinse my hair, I don't feel like I'm overloading it with product. I use warm water specifically to wet my hair and rinse [some] product build up away.

As my hair get's longer, one thing I will do differently is only wetting my hair every other day. On the days in between I'll continue to baggy with my oils and butters, I just won't apply any water.