PDA

View Full Version : Anything In Philadelphia??

Nameita
04-09-2010, 02:30 PM
Hey,

I had my Big chop four months ago! But I have to say that my hair doesn't feel healthier yet... Going through the Forum I think i kind of understand why!
Too much combing, Too much shampoo, not enough water, barely conditioning. I am trying to give more TLC to my hair, so I decided to use more natural product, and homemade stuff! (I've tried a looot of product and nothing was really giving my satisfaction)
So I was wondering if you Napptural sisters out there could help me find place in Philadelphia where I can buy Real Essential Oils, and all that good stuff...

Thankss

Aphrodite64
04-27-2010, 02:22 AM
My basics/Favs:

Whole Foods for Aubry Organics Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner
Penn Herbs in Northern Liberties for Essential Oils, Jojoba oil)
Davis Pharmacy on Baltimore Avenue for Glycerin, Castor Oil
Any BSS for IC Fantasia gels
The Muslim Shopes along 52nd Street for pure Shea Butter

In case you're interested, Target on City Line carries Ms. Jessie products.

I tried most of the "natural" salons in our area. If you don't want to loc or twist and just need a good cut or help styling or caring for your natural hair...FORGIT ABOUT IT! Better off DIY!

JaeFuma
04-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Yadin had some nice stuff.

LaynieX
05-02-2010, 02:23 AM
I also go to whole foods for most of my products. They have cold pressed castor oil along with the kinky curly product line and the ao honey suckle rose conditioner that I use. I get raw shea butter from the beauty supply stores and muslims shops all over the city.

goldengirl0422
05-16-2010, 06:42 PM
I tried most of the "natural" salons in our area. If you don't want to loc or twist and just need a good cut or help styling or caring for your natural hair...FORGIT ABOUT IT! Better off DIY!

how depressing I was surely hoping there would be somewhere I could just go for a cut or style...

tippeetoez
05-16-2010, 08:08 PM
I could sure use a salon recommendation as well.

zimmy
01-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I would love a salon recommendation....

soapinphilly
01-22-2011, 01:43 PM
Yadin had some nice stuff.

I second that emotion! Yadain is downtown at 13th and chestnut, excellent products and good prices

MsDavis
01-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Greetings ladies...I used to live in Philly (shout out to Temple)...I got my locs started @ a salon called Brownstone on South St.....I think it was between 17th and South...check it out...its a wife/husband owned salon! Abenah..sp? started my locs

westindiangal
02-21-2011, 11:13 AM
I've been in Philly for 1 1/2 years and have not been able to get a salon recco for natural hair other than locs. I also found that because someone knows how to loc and maintain locs, doesn't necessarily mean that they know how to cut natural hair that isn't locc'd.

caribbelle
02-21-2011, 06:50 PM
and just need a good cut or help styling or caring for your natural hair...FORGIT ABOUT IT! Better off DIY!

this is true:-|

ahkill
04-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Have any of you considered a traditional barbershop? If you go to a nice one, a lot of the guys there know how to cut, not only with clippers...but with scissors too. Don't be scared to go in there and ask.

Padme32
04-13-2011, 07:08 PM
I was born and raised in Philly and moved from there in 2006. I went to a salon to start my locs in 2004, Kinky Kreations on Medary Ave., off of Broad street (going towards Old York Road). They were ok; but they never talked about or asked me about conditioning treatments and didn't really do much to necessarily education you about natural hair. At that time, I was still in the mind-set of just wanting my hair done and not wanting to think about it after, lol.

sweetnes
05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm considering starting locs again. Any recommendations for locticians in the Philly area? Center City area is best for me.

Thx!
sweetnes

ree1231
05-27-2011, 12:44 AM
Hello!

There is a shop located in the West Philadelphia are on the corner of 64th and Haverford Streets named Creative Hair. My husband goes their to get his locs styled and touched up. I also went their to get my first two strand twist done. The person who does them is very professional and she takes her time. She uses natural oils and products. Once she treats your hair, you are able to upkeep it yourself.

These so-called "natural" hair shops in Philly are bogus. They charge to much for their service and always trying to convince you to get a perm or pressed out. So be careful and speak up for what you want. They get scissor happy.

Good luck with your search! It probably best if you look through this website and see how to do it yourself.

luvnnapps
07-20-2011, 12:24 AM
I would love a salon recommendation too. I really don't want to spend the $ in Khamit Kinks NYC if I can avoid it. So does anyone know of a great hair braiding salon in southern NJ, DE, and MD?

Urbanite
07-20-2011, 01:06 AM
A friend of mine went to a salon in West Oak Lane and loved it. They did a hair consultation, did a cut, and a lovely braided style. I'll ask her the name of it.

Soul Rebel
08-30-2011, 12:48 AM
reported. ignore.

melaniemat
09-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I tried Ryan Foster, and I enjoyed the experience. I needed a trim, and they handled that well. A bit pricey, but I figured that was just Philly prices. I don't have a lot of experience with stylists though, as I have only been to two since I BC'ed in 2006

yround
11-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I get my locs maintained at Leroy and Cinzia's hair salon in Germantown. They're really good at starting and maintaining locs, not sure about regular natural hair maintenance.