PDA

View Full Version : Do you know how to use Amla?

dwashington
04-22-2003, 03:30 PM
I met a beautiful natural woman named Katherine who told me that Amla is a great product for the hair. She said she's been looking for it but hasn't yet located it. She also directed me to this web site. I work with another beautiful Pakistani woman who brought some to work for me when I asked her where I might be able to find it. She told me how she uses it but I wonder if afro hair would have different directions. For instance, she said she puts it on her head overnight and then washes it 3 times before the rest of her day. Anyone have any ideas on this? Can I just add it to my infusions? I appreciate your help.

NappGirlCurl
04-22-2003, 10:07 PM
I have heard of people mixing it with shikakai and aritha powders to make a homemade shampoo for dandruff and scalp issues or of mixing Shikakai, Amla and Reetha.

Edited to add :

I have never tried it and I have also heard that some people have experienced hard hair after using some of these mixes. If you do try it I would suggest adding jojoba oil to the mix.

karatebear
04-23-2003, 01:51 AM
Dwashington, there was a discussion about this product back in February - sorry I'm not sure how to attach the post here, so I bumped it for you...it's in the Napptural Hair discussion section.

I tried using the Amla powder with Shikaikai and Reetha. I gave up on it because it seemed like a lot of work at the time, so I wasn't able to see their affects on my hair. I may try to get back into that routine though since I do still have the powders, and I'm still hearing how great they are.

They are very cheap to purchase. Also, I did feel it had the potential of drying out my hair, but I remember reading that it was very important to do some type of deep conditioning before or after.

HTH

PoetryIsMyPassion
04-24-2003, 07:56 AM
I use the oil so I don't know if I could offer any good advice. These two forums might be really helpful to you.

Reetha + Amla + Shikakai Powder (http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=198&highlight=amla)

Rejecting "Western" Hair Care Methods? ('http://www.nappturality.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2393&highlight=amla')

I know that Midoria uses Amla powder and she's posted on this topic before so she might be able to offer further assistance.

HTH

LOCKIN
04-25-2003, 04:31 PM
Yes, I am currently using all three (powders). As already stated there's an extensive post(s) on how to use them and the growth effects. Its a little messy to use but IMHO well worth the effort. Since I have locs I dont use the sediments only the liquid (heavy straining involved). Currently Iam using 2 of the powders in a daily spritz w/the ever popular rosemary.
Please try a search and see what comes up. (Iam not experienced on posting links).
btw...I like the effects...full & fuffy locs and nice growth.
HTH