PDA

View Full Version : Protective Style Challenge, still going strong

jaimuziq
04-18-2010, 01:33 AM
I washed, conditioned and twisted my hair today, my hair is set for at least 2 weeks. How's every one else doing?:)

LadyBug13
04-18-2010, 02:36 AM
I just put in some medium-sized twists. I think I'll keep them in for a week or so and refresh them during the week by retwisting any that become very fuzzy. After that, I'll do a wash/detangle/deep condition and put my hair in a bun.

jaimuziq
04-18-2010, 08:29 PM
Hey sis, I'm wearing a bun now because the humidity in Florida is already off the chain.

trudiva04
04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
i broke and wore my fro loose this week but i'm gettin back into this week. I'm going to TST it up.

I used ORS Lock and Twist gel and didn't like how it shrunk and felt so i'm going to mix it with the ORS fertilizer and some iol of some kind and see how that works.

We need to start postin pic in these threads!!

mymy
04-19-2010, 12:19 AM
Hey sis, I'm wearing a bun now because the humidity in Florida is already off the chain.
You ain't lying either.
I camped out overnight on Friday and my hair was so moist, I couldn't figure out why. It was the humidity.

I'm getting ready to retwist my hair, so I'll be done for the week.

Ms_Yoruba
04-20-2010, 12:19 PM
OK - I think I'm ready to put my hair back in protective styles.... twists all the way. I'll wash my hair and do them tonight.

trudiva04
04-22-2010, 12:29 AM
i broke and wore my fro loose this week but i'm gettin back into this week. I'm going to TST it up.

I used ORS Lock and Twist gel and didn't like how it shrunk and felt so i'm going to mix it with the ORS fertilizer and some iol of some kind and see how that works.

We need to start postin pic in these threads!!

UPDATE!!!!!!

so i mixed the twist and lock gel with a bunch of crap and it looked like vomit!! :o my twists felt nice but still.... and i twisted them too big and they looked silly so i did a twist out which is still a protective style since i don't mess with it at all for a few days.

as soon as i find some aloe vera gel or a highly recommended twisting product, i'll twist it up again...

how is everyone else doin???

Debonaire
04-22-2010, 04:55 AM
UPDATE!!!!!!

so i mixed the twist and lock gel with a bunch of crap and it looked like vomit!! :o my twists felt nice but still....
how is everyone else doin???

:-)) Was it tacky at all? All the ladies raved about Fantasia Gel with Sparkalites. I tried it, and loved it. But if I can get something to give a little stronger hold with the same moisturizing effect, it's on.

My hair is still in kinky twists. I'd be crazy if I didn't mention the crazy growth that is happening. I think it's because of the weather (I've also started working out a little more and eating a little better). But I have to redo the back and fronts of my hair and it has only been in for about 2 weeks now.

mymy
04-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Things are going great. Over the weekend I twisted my hair using LA activator gel and shealoe and my twists feel nice. I decided to give the gel another try since its full of glycerin and the humidity is going up. I'll finish the jar if my hair continues to like it.

trudiva04
04-22-2010, 05:39 PM
:-)) Was it tacky at all? All the ladies raved about Fantasia Gel with Sparkalites. I tried it, and loved it. But if I can get something to give a little stronger hold with the same moisturizing effect, it's on.

i don't know how to describe it. i think i'm gonna jump on the aloe vera gel bandwagon. someone said mixin that with the ors twist and loc gel will moisturize and hold so we'll see....

i'll keep you guys updated...

monappy28
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
I have been so slacking!!! My hair was supposed to be in Micro's weeks ago, but some unfortunate circumstances prevented that from happening. So my hair has been in a puff for about two weeks :(. I finally twisted it up yesterday and I must say that this is an AWESOME set of twists! They will stay in for about two weeks because I need to find another long term PS to get me through until June/July.....

Natrlchallenge
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
Can I join? I'd like to wear protective styles until the end of the year. I just need help and encouragement to do so.)8-|

trudiva04
04-24-2010, 08:48 PM
so i bought aloe vera gel... do i use it by itself or mix it with something?? i want to tst it up for a little while....

jaimuziq
04-25-2010, 02:01 AM
Can I join? I'd like to wear protective styles until the end of the year. I just need help and encouragement to do so.)8-|

Of course, everyone is welcome. We'll give you all the encouragement you need.:D

Debonaire
04-25-2010, 05:30 PM
so i bought aloe vera gel... do i use it by itself or mix it with something?? i want to tst it up for a little while....
I believe that you can use it either way that you'd like. I know a lot of the ladies mix it into their shea butter to provide moisture and to give definition to their hair if they want to do a twist out or something from a braided style.

Others mix it with other liquids and oils (conditioner, castor oil, water) to spray into their hair strictly for moisture. It's really up to you.

Keep us posted on results.

chocolynne
04-25-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm in my TST's for the week & bunning on top of that. Actually, I'm trying to give my hair a break from the elastics and pulling so I'm trying to become proficient at coiling it up with just a hair stick. I sometimes just don't trust myself to be able to place the stick properly so it doesn't all just come loose, the moment I'm away from the house. It's getting there though. This is one of my personal projects: to master the hair stick. I know I need to keep my hair off of my shoulders if I want it to grow to a length where updos & bunning become a cinch. I don't care about length so much but have realized that it's a bit of a funny spiral like that: length to create the updos, and updos to create the length.

OHR
04-25-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm gonna do the back in rolling flattwists, from the kitchen up to my crown, then 2 strands up front...maybe flattwist the sides too?? Dunno. Wish me luck though, because I have to take frequent restbreaks when I do flattwists!

mslady
04-27-2010, 01:38 AM
I wanna play! I just joined the gym and I've been really busy lately so I plan on doing protective styles. Right now I'm wearing some three week old twists. I might keep them in for another week or two. I might keep the hair "out" for a day...just to let it breathe and then re twist or do some braids.

SLWHEAT0819
04-27-2010, 02:36 AM
I would love to join this "Protective Style" challenge. I just recently put Micro braids in my hair last Saturday and I'm trying to keep them in there for the next couple of months. This is my first time wearing Micros so it's definitely going to be a challenge. I'm still not use to them but I'm getting there. I've been getting a lot of compliments and that really keeps me motivated to keep them in for a while. I wish i could attach pics so ya'll could tell me what ya'll think but I don't know how to do that. LOL!

Julia_75
04-27-2010, 05:06 AM

I've been using it by itself and I love it! I actually just finished setting some knots with it and when I take them out tomorrow I will post pics of what it looks like. I know some people mix it with shea butter but I guess it just depends on what works for you. Good luck!

BritBrit
04-28-2010, 05:17 AM
im in! i want to retain as much as i can this year

Maat
04-28-2010, 06:33 AM
I am taking a break for about a week or two.. I miss my big hair..will be protective styling for Kings Island (May 8th) and prom (May 14th)

jaimuziq
05-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Today is wash day, I may even do a henna gloss and then twists. It's gonna be a long day (:-)

Debonaire
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Hey ladies. I'm still trudging along. Today I am SO going to redo the braids around the perimeter of my hair. Crazy fuzzies happening. Earlier when I posted I thought it was growth happening. Now I don't know if it is actually the synthetic hair and if it is too soft (don't know if that's possible) and allowing my hair to slide. Is that even possible?

Also, I've been natural for a little while now. But I still have a soft spot in the top of my scalp. Its tender and I've noticed recently that it still scabs. Literally. I have done nothing like pulling on it, certainly haven't permed in a long time, and I've been using the same products, most of which are natural, for years. I don't know what on Earth is going on! Advice? Tips? Words of comfort? Is this happening to anyone else.

jaimuziq
05-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey ladies. I'm still trudging along. Today I am SO going to redo the braids around the perimeter of my hair. Crazy fuzzies happening. Earlier when I posted I thought it was growth happening. Now I don't know if it is actually the synthetic hair and if it is too soft (don't know if that's possible) and allowing my hair to slide. Is that even possible?

Also, I've been natural for a little while now. But I still have a soft spot in the top of my scalp. Its tender and I've noticed recently that it still scabs. Literally. I have done nothing like pulling on it, certainly haven't permed in a long time, and I've been using the same products, most of which are natural, for years. I don't know what on Earth is going on! Advice? Tips? Words of comfort? Is this happening to anyone else.

Hey sis, I'm sorry you're experiencing this. Post this in the napptural discussion forum and maybe someone could give some advice/tips.

monappy28
05-03-2010, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to ask my niece to put some box braids in my hair next weekend.....BTW, when you do these, do you part, or grab and braid???

Debonaire
05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll probably end up just doing an intense search for the topic. People don't seem to respond to these types of questions as of lately. Le sigh.

What ever happened to the chat room? That's where I loved to go for these types of things.

soblu2
05-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Let me update!!
I've been protective styling since january and it is still going on strong... I plan to let my hair breathe a little in june ( for the anniversary) and then complete a full year of protectivve style..
I basically keep my hair braided ( cornrows) either with a weave or with a wig..
I don't have much time to care for the hair so I am keeping it pretty simple.. washing every ten to 15 days.. keeping braids for a month at least..
I have nice grow to show...
But I will leave it until the mid challenge freedom!!!

chocolynne
05-05-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm still in my TST's & bun. It's getting a lot easier to make that bun in the morning so I'll chalk that all up to hair growth & my own proficiency. It's going well so now to just keep it going.

LadyBug13
05-07-2010, 07:00 PM
Lately I've been wearing my hair pulled back and tucked under as a bun. I just finished putting in medium-sized twists and pulled them back into a bun. I'll keep them in for a week at the most until it's time to wash.

Nappi_Qween10
05-08-2010, 08:16 AM
I've had my cornrows in for about almost a month now. Probably next week I'll take them down wash my hair DC and braid it back up again.

Hadasah
05-08-2010, 02:15 PM
I think I'm going to ask my niece to put some box braids in my hair next weekend.....BTW, when you do these, do you part, or grab and braid???

I part my hair in quadrants and and then part each quadrant until I'm happy with the size of those mini quadrants. :p I part because my braids are big and it's hard to grab and have them all be the same size. If I had someone parting my hair for me I'd probably ask for brick layer parting. If anything, your niece may have an easier time parting by row and then grabbing from there.

I've been in box braids for 1 - 2 months, I can't remember. I also have to redo the top or something if I want to go out because they are veerryy frizzy. :-| How in the world does my hair find its way out of the braid? Do I need to use mousse or some setting lotion or something?

Back2Nat
05-09-2010, 12:20 AM
I forgot to post, but I did participate in the protective style challenge and kept my double strand twists for a little over a month. That was the longest that I ever did one style. CDHHB kept my twists moisturized along with spritzing with either my homemade leave in or Oyin Handmade Juices and Berries and every so often rubbing a little CD Mimosa Hair Honey. Thanks for all the inspiration from the OP and other posters. I was able to make it through with just wrapping my head in a scarf every night and not messing with it in the day other than to spray and sometimes fluff a little. In a few weeks, I hope to do another two weeks of twists.

LadyBug13
05-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Lately I've been wearing my hair pulled back and tucked under as a bun. I just finished putting in medium-sized twists and pulled them back into a bun. I'll keep them in for a week at the most until it's time to wash.

I took the twists down the next day, lol. I'm back in a bun now. Bunning's the way for me. Next time I'll do the tuck and go.

Earthen~Blossom
05-09-2010, 08:45 PM
So I got tired of fussing with my hair so much and put in human hair braid extensions. I've noticed short patches of hair throughout my 6/7 inches for a while, but when braiding I noticed the hair is shorter and the patches are bigger than I thought:(. I'll probably wear braids for the rest of the year to let my hair recuperate from whatever is stressing it right now; I really don't want to lose my hair when it's on the verge of shoulder length for the umpteenth time. In fact, I think stress might be a major culprit. Hopefully I can finally get past this milestone.

Krystle~Hime
05-11-2010, 12:58 AM
i want to join this challenge because i want to keep protective styles until next winter, maybe one year, because all last winter, i've worn my hair out and didn't retaining length :(

so actually i'm in kinky twists, but seriously dunno about which routine/regime to have with them.

i spritz moisturize my scalp and hair daily, massage my scalp 2/3 times a week. and will shampoo twice a month. maybe i have to alternate with cowashing once a week for keepin the hair moisturizing? but i don't want buildups :s .

so girls tell me if i can join the challenge(by the way when will i have to update) and what do you think about my regimen.

Hadasah
05-11-2010, 01:50 AM
Of course you can join! I don't think you have to update at anytime, just do it when you feel like posting something. I don't know diddley about routines so if it works for you, go for it. I don't know what the French summers are like but I would feel free to shampoo more often than 2 times a month. If anything, just use a mild shampoo in between clarifying shampoos to avoid build up.

jaimuziq
05-11-2010, 10:05 AM
My hair is still in twists, I think I may wash my hair this weekend.

Krystle~Hime
05-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Thank you Hadasah !!
Spring in Paris is so ugly, just one hour of sun and suddainly , RAIN ! i'm in a hurry to be in June. nicer weather.

So i'm in kinky twists since 30th April. i want to try to keep'em until next September first. if i'll manage to, i hope to keep'em all Fall/Winter.

NappyNelle
05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I've been wearing these twists for two days shy of a month. They look really good to be so old... interesting. Thanks coconut oil!

So I got tired of fussing with my hair so much and put in human hair braid extensions. I've noticed short patches of hair throughout my 6/7 inches for a while, but when braiding I noticed the hair is shorter and the patches are bigger than I thought:(. I'll probably wear braids for the rest of the year to let my hair recuperate from whatever is stressing it right now; I really don't want to lose my hair when it's on the verge of shoulder length for the umpteenth time. In fact, I think stress might be a major culprit. Hopefully I can finally get past this milestone.

How were you wearing your hair before Earthen~Blossom? Are you on any new meds? Anything change in your life recently causing you stress? :(

mymy
05-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Jahnelle, I wish I could keep my twists in for a month. I kept my last set in for 10 days and they looked horrible. I just finished retwisting so I'm happy now.

soblu2
05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Let me update!!
I've been protective styling since january and it is still going on strong... I plan to let my hair breathe a little in june ( for the anniversary) and then complete a full year of protectivve style..
I basically keep my hair braided ( cornrows) either with a weave or with a wig..
I don't have much time to care for the hair so I am keeping it pretty simple.. washing every ten to 15 days.. keeping braids for a month at least..
I have nice grow to show...
But I will leave it until the mid challenge freedom!!!

Well I think I'll skip the mid challenge / anniversary freedom!!
I have a wedding to attend I'll be a maid so i'll need to have a weave at that time for the similar updo thing....
it's in early june, since there is no way I am going to take down a one week old weave.. I'll just let this anniversary go and look forward to october ( the month of the second big chop)...
for the next two weeks I may rest from the cornrows ... And practice my flat twists.. with a wig????
I just hate wigs actually i'd prefer a weave ... but for practicing purposes... or i'll just rock the twists... it's been so long since I've seen them.

Debonaire
05-13-2010, 02:42 AM
These kinky twists are stiiiill in! I absolutely love the hair. Never thought that they would have turned out so well. I think I like them because the resemble my hair a lot: minimal sheen, about the same length, slight frizz. I redid the edges about a week ago, I believe. I am due to refresh them all. Don't know how much longer I will keep them in. Maybe, end of June before my birthday? We shall see.

monappy28
05-13-2010, 01:12 PM
My twists are the PC of choice for me....thier easy and they last two weeks at a time! I tried a new product to twist with and my hair feels wonderful! It's growing like a week and my ends feel good! I will continue on this challenge because I am getting the results I desire. Eventually, Iwill get some box braids put in, or maybe a set of micro's...not sure yet

kottonkurlz
05-13-2010, 04:40 PM
I took my braids out because of so much new growth and an event that lasted all weekend. I wore twist outs for about a week but I am over it and want to wear my hair up. For the past few days I have been wearing twists. The kind that you do before a twist out. They are big, chunky and they swing. I really like them but I look like I am going to bed.

NappyNelle
05-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Jahnelle, I wish I could keep my twists in for a month. I kept my last set in for 10 days and they looked horrible. I just finished retwisting so I'm happy now.

LOl But my "looking good" may look very different to you! I could possibly be the only person who still thinks they look good. I want to take them out but I'll have to wait until I have consecutive time off... unless I just wear a puff... which would defeat the challenge no? )8-|

My twists are the PC of choice for me....thier easy and they last two weeks at a time! I tried a new product to twist with and my hair feels wonderful! It's growing like a week and my ends feel good! I will continue on this challenge because I am getting the results I desire. Eventually, Iwill get some box braids put in, or maybe a set of micro's...not sure yet

Don't hold out! :p

Earthen~Blossom
05-16-2010, 01:46 AM
I
How were you wearing your hair before Earthen~Blossom? Are you on any new meds? Anything change in your life recently causing you stress? :(
I was wearing daily braid-outs/bantu-knot-outs/twist-outs. . .but I have been under a lot of stress this year. I need to relax, for the sake of my hair and my health!

monappy28
05-16-2010, 02:11 PM
LOl But my "looking good" may look very different to you! I could possibly be the only person who still thinks they look good. I want to take them out but I'll have to wait until I have consecutive time off... unless I just wear a puff... which would defeat the challenge no? )8-|

Don't hold out! :p

)8-|Sorry! I can't think of the name! It was some cocoa/shea/aloe moisturizer, Redecouverte sent to me. It smells like cocoa butter it's super soft and super moisturizing! It's been a week and my twists are still super soft!

Maat
05-16-2010, 09:20 PM
I have been in a twist updo since the 14th of May, plan on keeping it up till May 28th

ScreenGeniuz
05-17-2010, 01:26 AM
For people who are coming from TWA's, what protective styles or methods are available if they don't want to "attach" hair and go the weave, wig, braid route? What products can they use to emulate protective styles until they have enough length to twist their own hair?

jaimuziq
05-20-2010, 10:46 AM
I washed my hair over the weekend and didn't feel like twisting so I'm wearing a bun this week. Now I wish I had twisted my hair, it's sooooo hot in Florida.:-|

soblu2
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
hello!!
I took down the weave yesterday.. I just braided my hair down and i'm wearing a wig...
I am tired of that whole weave/wig thing...
But I've got to keep my hair growing...
I'll get the wedding weave on sunday..; then I'll go back to doing my hair myself.. Well that is if I am not too lazy..;
I am truly looking forward to just wear twists and braids...

Natrlchallenge
05-25-2010, 11:45 PM
I am still trying to hang in there. My twists are half and half. Half good, half:o. Can someone give me tips on how to twist the hair at the crown? That's where everything goes wrong.)8-| I am starting to be able to do them faster, they just don't look very defined. The longest I was able to keep them was 2 days. I hope to get better before my vacation in July.8)

beadsofjade
05-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I fell off HARD (like a few months guys...), but I'm back and plan to work this out for the long run.

Today, my 4 day old twists are pulled into a bun (similarly to Kimmaytube's protective style). I have been rinsing my hair with water, spraying some leave-in, and retwisting where I see it's needed.

Last time was a nightmare when it was time to detangle, so I hope that I'll be getting it right this time around. :(

Any tips?

TolaEmpress
05-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Still going strong. I twisted up my hair last week. I should last me another week....That if I dont get restless and take them down.

TolaEmpress
05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Still going strong. I twisted up my hair last week. I should last me another week....That if I dont get restless and take them down.

I got restless yall. I took down my week old twists last night and now I am rocking a chunky fro. On the hunt for another PS.

Debonaire
06-01-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm still in it to win it. I refreshed my hair last night (well, almost all) like I promised myself. I am thinking of taking the kinky twists out in the last week of June to bring in my bday. Hey! Maybe I'll even treat myself to a product or two *slows types in Oyin*

NatureLover
06-01-2010, 04:41 PM
I think I'm going to add this to my SL challenege, goodness knows I need to do some serious PS so that my hurr can grow!

jaimuziq
06-03-2010, 05:30 PM
@ Debonaire, go ahead you deserve it.:D

I'll be doing a henna treatment this weekend then twists.

adamseve
06-03-2010, 06:17 PM
I'd like to get in on this challenge. I love wearing my hair out, but I know it's the protective styles that help the hair to retain length.

Any suggestions on protective styles with 3 1/2" of hair other than twists & bantu knots?

BronzePheonix
06-05-2010, 01:10 AM
I hope it's not too late to join....?

My hair's been needing some TLC lately so I vowed to protective style for a WHILE. I want to practice low manipulation as well...

Its been in large cornrows (straight back) since Tuesday... planning to leave them in until Saturday... then if all goes well I will Henna and two strand twist...

ebonydiva82
06-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Jaimuziq, you're twists look AMAZING!

Last night I put in individual braids (I don't know how many but it took me two hours) and I set them on perm rods using Jane Carter's wrap and roll foam (which smells absolutely marvelous). Initially, I wanted to leave my braids be but my hair doesn't move in the wind and the braids usually start sticking up at some point. For some reason, I was unable to braid all the way to the very end but maybe that will make it easier for them to be taken down. I plan on cowashing every two weeks and redoing them after a month.

Debonaire
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
@ Debonaire, go ahead you deserve it.:D

I'll be doing a henna treatment this weekend then twists.

I haven't treated myself in awhile. And I have been missing the Honey Hemp Condition since the first day I used it. It's hilarious, and I know some won't believe me, but I remember that shower experience very vividly. It was when I was newly natural, and I'm pretty sure the first time I had purchased a hair product from the internet. Oh the days. :p

And Jai, when on Earth are you going to update your Fotki? Your doing all of these amazing styles and not sharing. :(

blkrose
06-06-2010, 04:44 PM
I joined the 2010 Summer Growth Challenge from June 1-Sept 1. Since I will be wearing protective styles for the entire summer, I will add this challenge to my list possibly extending the protective style challenge to the end of the year. I am also product testing.

June 1 I put in a henna; Ancient Sunrise Henna for Hair (black) purchased from:Mehandihttp://www.mehandi.com/shop/blackbundles/index.html. (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blackbundles/index.html)
The best henna I have used to date and will not go back to any other. It applied smoothly and rinsed out smoothly. Full coverage of the gray hairs even before I applied the indigo.

My plan is to wear each style for 1 month. Every week just do a scalp cleanse with seabreeze and keep my scalp nourished with Serum Growth Treatment and Tibet Temple & Nape Penetrating Oil by Deity Americahttp://www.deityusa.com/home.php At the end of each month prior to the next style, do a wash with Black Hair Shampoo, deep condition with Plant Conditioner both by Deity, ending with a henna application.

So I am really doing a three way challenge:D

jaimuziq
06-06-2010, 05:04 PM
@ ebonydiva82, thanks.:)

I haven't treated myself in awhile. And I have been missing the Honey Hemp Condition since the first day I used it. It's hilarious, and I know some won't believe me, but I remember that shower experience very vividly. It was when I was newly natural, and I'm pretty sure the first time I had purchased a hair product from the internet. Oh the days. :p

And Jai, when on Earth are you going to update your Fotki? Your doing all of these amazing styles and not sharing. :(

Sis, Fotki was tripping(got a virus from the site) so I haven't updated and don't know when I will, sorry. I'll post some pics here. I love the Honey Hemp conditioner too, I think I'm out but I may reorder once I've used up some other stuff I have.

I did a henna gloss treatment yesterday and my hair feels wonderful. I'm wearing an updo cuz it's been raining every day in FL.
Here's a pic of my current style, twists in a banana clip(flat twists on the sides and two strands everywhere else lol).
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h21/jaimuziq/Hair/freshtwist6-5.jpg

reec100
06-07-2010, 04:21 PM
I to would like to join, I am new to this site and am excited to be in my 1st challenge, I hope it's not to late. I am on my second set of twist, wearing them 3 weeks at a time. I haven't attempted to do them myself as I have been going to a natural stylist. I think I will start trying to them myself soon. I like all of the styles I am seeing!! I will be making an appointment to get some braids and twist this weekend. I just started the spritizing with olive oil, castor oil and water a couple times a day. I haven't learned how to do the co wash or any of the other things yet. I am learning from you guys, it's a big help. THANKS!!

BeautifulButterfly
06-10-2010, 09:20 PM
i am getting my hair twisted on saturday. i hope its long enough for it to be done. i plan on wearing the twists for as long as possible. i can't commit for a time frame because i know how funny i am about how my hair looks. the plan is to retwist as soon as i can't take it anymore.

i would like to wear PS all summer... wish me luck!

reec100
06-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Good luck my apt is tomorrow, I notice that my twist last 3 weeks. It looks long enough!

youwillrise
06-12-2010, 06:59 AM
havent been around here in a minute or two!

i took some old twists (2.5-3 weeks old) out on wednesday, washed, dc'ed, detangled, etc and put some new ones in on thursday.

hope these last for a while!

mymy
06-12-2010, 05:42 PM
I am this>> <<close to putting in box braids this weekend. I think I may braid the roots of my twists instead. Co-washing has been calling my name.

beadsofjade
06-13-2010, 10:14 PM
I had a minor slip up (4 days to be exact) this past week, but my hair is in a twisted updo today. :)

I think that if I can just keep on finding ways to style my twists, I'll be fine and leave my hair alone.

kottonkurlz
06-14-2010, 02:20 AM
Whooooo....took me a while, but I found someone to twist my hair. Took her 5 hours but I am in love with my hair again. So many people begged me not to go back to the box braid extensions but while I am in school, working, got 2 babies it seemed to be my best choice. This girl in my class begged to do my hair so I took her up on it and I am so glad that I did. My two strand twists actually spirals so my arm pit length hair is now neck length and I don't care because I love my hair. I love my hair. I was off the ban wagon for about 1 month or more.

LadyBug13
06-14-2010, 02:52 PM
I've worn my hair out on and off for the past week or so. I have my hair in a tuck and go today and I want to stick with this style for a while.

MyBeautifulKinkyHair
06-15-2010, 01:20 AM
I wear protective a lot. My favorite is the two french braids with accessories.

BeautifulButterfly
06-17-2010, 02:59 PM
well, went in to get my hair twisted on saturday and was told it is too short... :(
i was afraid that would happen. now i wait. so not happy.

Debonaire
06-17-2010, 03:26 PM
@ ebonydiva82, thanks.:)

Sis, Fotki was tripping(got a virus from the site) so I haven't updated and don't know when I will, sorry. I'll post some pics here. I love the Honey Hemp conditioner too, I think I'm out but I may reorder once I've used up some other stuff I have.

I did a henna gloss treatment yesterday and my hair feels wonderful. I'm wearing an updo cuz it's been raining every day in FL.
Here's a pic of my current style, twists in a banana clip(flat twists on the sides and two strands everywhere else lol).

I adore that hair style Jai. Thanks for posting. You think of using NPs album feature? I haven't yet but I may put some pics up there, especially since Fotki has been giving so many folks trouble.

I purchased the Honey Hemp and the Grand Poo bar (eee!). I completely forgot the turn around time on buying Oyin products =(. I'm going to look like a crazy person checking the mail every day.

I also might be taking my braids out today =O
I'm at home and sick so I figured I might as well take advantage of the down time.

ebonydiva82
06-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Ladies (and gentlemen, if any are on the challenge):

It's time for me to switch up my protective style. For the past two weeks, I've been wearing individual braids, and they are extremely frizzy to the point where I am afraid that they will loc soon. It was probably my mistake for washing my hair a week after I put the braids in (I'm not used to going a week without washing my hair in all its naturalness).

Earlier this week, I walked into a natural hair salon just to check it out and the stylist/owner, who has locs herself, told me that my hair looked like locs. I'm thinking to myself, "uh-oh, time to take these down".

I sleep with a bandana and satin bonnet every night and I usually mist my hair (suave conditioner, jojoba oil and distilled water mix) every morning. But despite that, with these braids, I've noticed that I still have the itchies. Sooo, I think that my next protective style will be mini two strand twists. They tend to look fresher longer and anyways, I'm excited about using the African Formula all natural Super Grow Hair Gel I purchased a couple of days ago.

jaimuziq
06-18-2010, 11:46 PM
I adore that hair style Jai. Thanks for posting. You think of using NPs album feature? I haven't yet but I may put some pics up there, especially since Fotki has been giving so many folks trouble.

I purchased the Honey Hemp and the Grand Poo bar (eee!). I completely forgot the turn around time on buying Oyin products =(. I'm going to look like a crazy person checking the mail every day.

I also might be taking my braids out today =O
I'm at home and sick so I figured I might as well take advantage of the down time.

Thanks sis.:) Glad you decided to treat yourself to OYIN :D You know a watched pot never boils, your stuff will be there before you know it. I'm missing my honey hemp conditioner but I'm determined to use up what I have.

Thanks for the suggestion, I may transfer my pics to NP -feel better soon.

MyBeautifulKinkyHair
06-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I washed, and conditioned my hair. Afterward, I put in flat twist, it came out funny but it will do. Anything for me to keep my hands out of my hair.

alanija
06-19-2010, 01:25 PM
I would like to join this challenge. I just cornrowed my hair with extensions two days ago. I plan to keep them in for two weeks and let my hair rest for one week before rebraiding. I will give my hair a dc treatment when I take the braids down. I've been spraying my hair with braid spray and putting jbco on my scalp. My plan is to keep this up till Oct. 16th which will be my 6mo natural-versary. I started with 3.5 inches of hair. I have no problems with my hair, just wanted to get away from messing with it so much during the summer.

~Tootles

jaimuziq
06-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I washed and twisted my hair yesterday, I will try to keep these twists in for a month.

How's everyone else doing?

alanija
06-22-2010, 07:04 PM
I've had my cornrows with extensions in for 5 days and I'm ready to take them out. They are itching my head so bad! I've been spraying with braid spray but it's not helping. I'm trying to stick it in there for the two weeks I planned, but I just don't know. And then even if I do, not sure if I'll rebraid with the extensions because of the itching. May have to try just cornrowing w/o extensions.

~Tootles

Maat
06-22-2010, 07:45 PM
o.O I have been protective styling...last Friday I did my hair over from having 9 day twists in, the only difference is that I cut a little over an inch of my hair because of split ends xD, bt right now I have twists in again, and they will be in until this Friday marking...7 days...

alanija
06-23-2010, 12:46 AM
If my twists looked halfway decent I'd try that. I couldn't take the extension cornrows anymore so I took them down today. I'll wash my hair tonight and cornrow my hair without extensions on tomorrow.

~Tootles!

blkrose
06-24-2010, 05:49 PM
I removed my cornrows last Thursday and replaced with quick double strand twist. I went to Philly to a jazz fest and just wanted a fresher hairdo. I will removed these twist after July 2nd since I am going to a water park that day and no need in taking out before then.

youwillrise
06-24-2010, 11:04 PM
i changed the last set of twists i had in to smaller twists.

also did a few tiny flat twists in the front. they dont look neat or anything (didnt use anything to make them with), but they look decent. i've never worn them before. ha

alanija
06-27-2010, 12:37 PM
I twisted my hair instead of the cornrows and am now on day 3 of my twists. My hair has grown since I first tried twists and they look so nice now. I actually wore them out which I didn't do the last time I put them in. Plan to wear them 4 more days and then wash, condition and re-twist.

~Tootles!

AutumnBeauty
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Ladies, I'm back. I have such a love-hate relationship with protective styling and quit for a few months but realized my hair just LOVES protective styles and I HATE doing them. So we decided to come to a compromise....I'll keep it protected but let someone else do the styles and its been working out great ;)

I'm wearing my hair braided with the mohawk twisted. Every morning and night I spray with a conditioner, glycerin, water and jojoba spritz.

I'm noticing that my scalp itches more and idk what to do to stop it....

jaimuziq
07-04-2010, 09:56 PM
Ok my twists didn't last a month, I washed and did another henna treatment last night :-)).

*** This thread will be closed soon, when it does someone please start another protective style thread. ***:D

Sqwig
07-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I really want to join, but I have a problem. No matter how hard i try.....after about a 5-7 days I have to take whatever hair style I do down. For one I suffer from scalp irritation so I'm washing constantly, and for two when my hair doesn't stay the way I want it I wash and try something new.
Right now I have the front in cornrows and the rest in a braid out! i live in Louisiana and the humidity has already made my hair swell, which I don't really like but whatever.
I really want to retain some length, so I'll do it and just have to stay dedicated and focused.

alanija
07-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Sqwig I am the same way with my styles. I braided my hair this past Monday, and by Wednesday I was ready to take them down. The edges always get fuzzy and look like a mess. I wore a crochet cap from Tues-Thur and yesterday I wore a scarf. Took them out this morning. I'm determined to retain length so I'll wash and braid it up again today, but I sure wish I could go longer than a week with them.

reec100
07-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I washed and deep conditioned and did some two strand twist yesterday, I plan to keep these in for 2 weeks and then wash deep condition and retwist. I've been washing and deep conditioning every 2 to 3 weeks for the last two months. I just started doing my own twists and I am trying to learn different styles. Wish me luck.

jaimuziq
07-16-2010, 02:14 AM
I plan to wash, condition and retwist my hair this weekend. I thought I could last a month with these twists but going to the gym regularly and the Florida heat - it aint happening.:-))

AutumnBeauty
07-16-2010, 04:36 PM
hey hey hey! This makes about a month that I have been successful at protective styling with my hair and I honestly can say I am SO happy with it. I found a great beautician who specializes in natural hair and the HEALTH of it, not just styling.

I usually leave my hair up 2 weeks and then wash and get it retwisted....I spritz morning, mid day and night with a glycerin, water and conditioner mix. And I don't have as much itchy scalp.

I AM HAPPY!

Blqcoil323
07-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I want to rejoin this challenge. I didn't stop doing my hair in protective styles, but I did slack off with keeping it in PS consistently. So now I have my hair in 2st put up in a banana clip. I have changed my routine a little. I co wash my hair twice a week and poo when needed. I DC once per week. Also, the most important change was deciding to finger comb when detangling. I have not combed my hair in 2 months, but only detangled with my fingers. I have seen no breakage since I started this routine just normal shedding. SO I'm back on the bandwagon. I hope to PS until next spring.

alanija
07-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Today makes a week since I've put my hair in box braids w/o extensions. I am doing my second wash for the week. I did a protein dc and am now doing a moisturizing dc. I love my hair in this style, and am loving dc'ing! My hair looks so shiny and the ends are much curlier than usual. I plan to keep this set in for another week and then I'll redo.

TolaEmpress
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I wore this style for the past two weeks:

http://images53.fotki.com/v1610/photos/5/469065/8758351/P6300079-vi.jpg

Planning on taking it down tonight.

jaimuziq
07-22-2010, 01:44 AM

Cute style sis.:)

Blqcoil323
07-22-2010, 01:21 PM
You always have cute styles TolaEmpress!!!

reec100
07-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Very Cute Tola! Ok so I had my hair in the same twists for two weeks. Trying a couple of new things to get out of the same routine I've been doing most of my life. I met a girl while at a bachlorette party and she says she deep conditions the night before she washes - she leaves the conditioner in all night. I'm going to try that this time, then I'm gonna try and wash my hair in sections and finger comb which I've never done, wish me luck. I will put in a new set of twists on Sunday and plan to leave those in for two weeks. I will let you know how it goes, I'm excited!

alanija
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Cute style Tola! I wore a braid-out for the last 3 days. My best since the bc in March. I washed and dc'd my hair today, and put the box braids back in. I made them a bit bigger this time around. Oh, and I can put my hair in two pig tails now,one on each side. Before I had about 6-8. I was excited to see my hair is growing!

Fronomenal
07-22-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd like to join! How do challenges work? How often do you update? I'm a newbie. Haha

I'm gonna wash, condition, dc and two stand twist my hair weekly. I'll pin the twists up during the week, take them down for a twist out on the weekends and repeat the process on Sunday. I'm excited!

herownbeat
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM

Love the style Tola!

reec100
07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
My update
I wore a twist out on Saturday after having my twist in for two weeks. Saturday night I did everything with my fingers part in fours and condition it section and finger combed. The next morning rinsed the conditioner out and washed each section - put in a leave in conditioner let it air dry in twist after it dried I put in a new set of twist which I will leave in for 2 more weeks! It was a great success so I guess I have a regimen now. :o)

Hadasah
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
I've been wearing my braids for the past couple of months but now I've got gunk at the base of my braids. :( Anyone ever have a problem with this? I'm going to have a friend re-braid my hair so that it falls better and looks more professional, so I can undo this set and clarify the crap out of my hair. However, I'm afraid of losing the parts so I'd like to find out how to clarify the hair without having to take out all my braids

jaimuziq
07-27-2010, 01:08 AM
I've been wearing my braids for the past couple of months but now I've got gunk at the base of my braids. :( Anyone ever have a problem with this? I'm going to have a friend re-braid my hair so that it falls better and looks more professional, so I can undo this set and clarify the crap out of my hair. However, I'm afraid of losing the parts so I'd like to find out how to clarify the hair without having to take out all my braids

I would try a apple cider vinegar rinse.:-|

I plan to wear a twistout for the rest of the week then wash, condition & retwist this weekend.:)

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
07-27-2010, 02:02 PM
I love protective styling! Actually, I've set a summer goal and it is pretty simple; DON'T TOUCH IT! Lol! So, from the start of summer (wheeeew it's hot here in NC!) I've dedicated my hair to either being coiled or in braids I dare not wear the fro out considering how hot my hair gets then it becomes dry and brittle.
Right now I've rocked these set of braids for almost two weeks. The middle of the mohawk is TST'd so for moister I'll lightly spray the braids and the TST's. At week 2.5 the new growth is redunkulous!!!! I remove the braids and co-wash like crazy! I don't like using soaps or shampoos because of the sulfates but I found a sulfate free shampoo and conditioner from CVS and it works pretty well... The process begins all over again!
So a few questions ladies that I'm unclear of:

What do you think of blow drying? I blow dry my hair every 2.5 weeks prior to getting it braided. I don't blow dry it bone straight (it won't) but is it harmful?

Should I cut my ends?

When should I have my ends cut?

Hadasah
07-28-2010, 02:03 AM
That's the thing, I did do an ACV rinse; I only shampoo'd and put the ACV on after.

I did find this (http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html), though, and I think redoing some braids after every wash should do the trick.

GoinNatty, you should trim your ends when they're giving you trouble while detangling, when they're thin and scraggly and not absorbing product. Basically, cut them whenever you want. As far as blowdrying goes, we're not too big on using direct heat here on NP, but I don't think using a lot of heat with the blowdryer is really all that necessary. We've got a whole archive here on irreparable damage caused by heat, so if you're worried about it, I'd stay away from it. You can stretch your hair by banding, drying your hair in braids or even using the cool setting on a dryer

soblu2
07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
little update!!! I got tired of the weave + I 've seen some insecurities coming around...
So I decided to just wear my hair... not out though... my fro is to be seen in december only..
So the twists are back.. and I can see that always braiding in the same pattern is wrong for your hair..
i don't know how long the twisties will stay on, may be 2 to 3 weeks and then i'll get a different look...

jaimuziq
07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm sitting here with oil and conditioner in my hair(pre poo) feeling pretty lazy and I feel the urge to get back in bed, it's gonna be a long hair day.:-))

beadsofjade
07-31-2010, 08:14 PM
Been playing with protective styles almost all summer, and I'm actually enjoying myself. I didn't realize that there was so much I could do with twists, buns, updos, etc.

I am going on a mini-break though. I cowashed in twists last night, and I'm going cowash again today, restyle my twists, and wear a twistout tomorrow and Monday.

Oh yeah, fingercombing + the never loose and wet method is the BOMB. Ya girl is seeing some serious length retention.

I'm so proud of myself for really sticking to my regimen (well, as close to it as possible. I get lazy, like I did last night). I actually have some discipline. :D

Fronomenal
08-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Hi! Here is a thread I started with a list of creative and easy protective styles: (http://www.nappturality.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129161).

I hope this helps! :D

jaimuziq
08-04-2010, 05:43 PM
I ordered a table top steamer over the weekend and as soon as I get it I'm gonna steam my twists.:D

reec100
08-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Question Jaimuziq: what does the steamer do and when do you use it??

I will be deep conditioning and washing this weekend and putting in another set of twist. I did a co-wash for the first time last night with the twist in, I was nervous but it's ok. It left my hair a little dry, I will have to work on that. How often do you all co wash? I want to add that to my regimen.

jaimuziq
08-06-2010, 02:00 AM
Question Jaimuziq: what does the steamer do and when do you use it??

I will be deep conditioning and washing this weekend and putting in another set of twist. I did a co-wash for the first time last night with the twist in, I was nervous but it's ok. It left my hair a little dry, I will have to work on that. How often do you all co wash? I want to add that to my regimen.

Check out this article about the steamer.
http://moptopmaven.blogspot.com/2010/07/be-huetiful-steamer-review.html

I wash my hair every two weeks with a non sulfate shampoo and alternate with shampoo bars.

reec100
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM
So I might have to invest in one of those, thanks Jaimuziq

Ok so I am doing my hair this weekend and I think I just joined the box braid challenge. I guess I will be doing box braids this weekend, first time. Continuing on with the protective style challenge.

alanija
08-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Washed, dc'd my hair yesterday and put in some very simple cornrows. I plan to keep cornrows in my hair over the fall and winter seasons. Class starts again this Wednesday for me and I believe ps'ing will make life easier for me during this time, so I'm def. still doing the challenge.

AksanaAnais
08-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Hey everyone! I'd like to join you all in this challenge.

I'm trying to keep my hair in a PS for the majority of the fall and winter because Jersey gets cold!

I just got my hair cornrowed today and I'm going to try to keep them in for at least 4 weeks. Then, I'll let my hair rest for 1-2 weeks and repeat. So thats the plan.

My hair is only about 2.5 - 3 inches long so if I keep this up, hopefully I will have 5 inches by the end of winter.

Here is a pic:
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/cornrowsAug162010.jpg

Also, how long do you all normally keep cornrows (with weave) in? How do you care for them and what do you use?

jaimuziq
08-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Welcome Evallusion.:)

I've used my steamer twice and I love it. I plan to steam my twists this weekend, how's everyone else doing?

reec100
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Welcome Evallusion!!!
I am planning to protective style through the winter as well. I don't plan to take any breaks though, will just keep washing every two to three weeks and put it right back away.
Well, I tried to do the box braid thing but ummm I didn't like it. I will try again, maybe the end of September. Jaimuziq, u have me wanting to get a steamer, hhhmmmm. This weekend I will take these box braids down, wash, deep condition (trying something new) with banana, yogurt, honey, and evoo, sooooo we will see how that goes. I think I will put in some twists. I'm loving this challenge, and so far have been able to stick with it. How about everyone else?

jaimuziq
08-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Welcome Evallusion!!!
I am planning to protective style through the winter as well. I don't plan to take any breaks though, will just keep washing every two to three weeks and put it right back away.
Well, I tried to do the box braid thing but ummm I didn't like it. I will try again, maybe the end of September. Jaimuziq, u have me wanting to get a steamer, hhhmmmm. This weekend I will take these box braids down, wash, deep condition (trying something new) with banana, yogurt, honey, and evoo, sooooo we will see how that goes. I think I will put in some twists. I'm loving this challenge, and so far have been able to stick with it. How about everyone else?

Sis, be careful with those bananas. I tried a deep conditioner with bananas and it seemed like I was picking that mess out of my hair 4EVER!!! So glad I can laugh about it now.:-))

reec100
08-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Thank you I will, the recipe that I pulled off line said to blend until smooth, thank God I have a blender, please don't tell me u used a blender and it was still a disaster? I SCARED :o)

GuyanesePrincess
08-17-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know if there's a deadline it join, but I wear protective styles all year around. My protective style of choice is wigs, which I love wearing.

Though I do wish I had a full head of hair so I could wear out my own, but wigs are a nice 2nd option for me.

reec100
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
I love wearing wigs as well but I have noticed that they thin my edges. I have embraced wearing my own hair, It's liberating. I hope that it fills in and grows to it's full potential, I'm going to be patient and see where this takes me. One of the protective styles I will try when it gets cold is the half wig, I have never done that one, but I have seen some of the ladies on here look really nice in them and they won't thin my edges.

GuyanesePrincess
08-18-2010, 08:52 PM
As of late I've fallen back in love with half wigs, I'm currently wearing them. I've been fighting the urge to color my hair to a chestnut type of brown.

jaimuziq
08-18-2010, 09:47 PM
Thank you I will, the recipe that I pulled off line said to blend until smooth, thank God I have a blender, please don't tell me u used a blender and it was still a disaster? I SCARED :o)

I used a blender and it was a disaster but I have learned my lesson, the next time I used Gerber baby food(bananas). Let me know how it goes.

reec100
08-19-2010, 12:48 PM
OH no I will learn from your lesson LOL!!! That is a good suggestion and I will get some baby food instead. I do not want to spend my weekend picking out bananas LOL!!! Thanks so much!

reec100
08-19-2010, 01:27 PM
I'm going to get me a half wig and I will use that as one my protective styles for the winter.

jaimuziq
08-20-2010, 01:40 AM
OH no I will learn from your lesson LOL!!! That is a good suggestion and I will get some baby food instead. I do not want to spend my weekend picking out bananas LOL!!! Thanks so much!

Good idea!!:-))

alanija
08-23-2010, 12:49 AM
reec100 I Just bought a half wig today thanks to my hubby saying he didn't like my afro because my hair wasn't done.

reec100
08-23-2010, 11:53 AM
@Alanija I hope he liked the half wig since he could not embrace your afro. I haven't been to pick one out yet but I will probably do it next weekend.

I did my hair this weekend and I couldn't wait to try the new deep conditioner, I loved it!! So now I do the natural shampoo, and natural deep conditioner. I'm excited with the results and how my hair is getting to be so healthy. Thanks Jaimuziq for the suggestion of the baby food that was great!! So I put in some twists and plan to leave this set in for 2 weeks before I do it all over again, I am loving the protective style challenge. How is everyone else doing?

netta
08-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I'll be glad when my hair is long enough to do a protective style besides twist. I only have 4 inches. I am drooling at all you ladies with longer hair! lol

alanija
08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
reec100 he didn't say he doesn't like the half wig which means he does. If he doesn't like something he'll say it, if he does he usually keeps it to himself. He has mentioned though that he didn't like me wearing foundation on my face becuase it would lead to break outs and he didn't think I needed it because my face is pretty as is. So he would rather me wear my hair the way I like, w/o a half wig, than to wear 'that mess on my face'.

Netta, I have 4 inches of hair as well and can put my hair in cornrows. Have you tried that?

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
08-28-2010, 01:19 PM
I commend you ladies for being able to wear the wigs and half wigs but I've never been able to pull it off successfully so I just stopped trying! LOL!
My protective style is a process and has gotten me a significant amount of growth! Now I understand about just "setting it and forgetting it!" The less I touch my hair the more and faster it grows!
So, for at the start of summer I began with comb coils and did so off for about two months. Once my hair became long enough to braid, I began having it braided into a mohawk. Both styles lasting for about two weeks. In between styling I will deep condition then start the process all over again with more braids.
I hope to continue this process until the fall then I'd like to try Nubian Twists which is also a wonderful protective style!

AksanaAnais
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
My cornrows are out!

I'm now wearing 2 strand twists, with a wig over top.

How long do you ladies normally keep your twists in? I wanna to keep them in for as long as possible...without them locking.

nickib
08-29-2010, 07:50 PM
I guess I can join this since! I am alternating between twists and cornrows. I'm trying to keep each style in for 2 weeks minimum, but so far I've only been able to go a week before they stop being presentable.

lovingme83
08-30-2010, 01:13 AM
I guess I'm a little late but I'm in! I did my two strand twists today. I'm hoping to get 3 weeks out of them with one wash.

CocoaButterSummer
08-30-2010, 01:38 AM
I'll join! I put in a bunch of two strand twists. I'm gonna keep them in for at least 4 weeks, maybe longer.

reec100
08-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Welcome to all the new comers!! @ Alanija I undestand about the foundation because it breaks me out pretty badly too. I still haven't gotten my half wig yet hopefully soon.
@ Evallusion the longest I have left my twists in before they started to lock was 3 weeks. Since I've started doing my own hair, Ive been leaving them in for 2 weeks and then deep conditioning etc... Is this challenge until the end of 2010?

jaimuziq
09-03-2010, 07:40 PM
@ Evallusion, I usually keep my twists in for two weeks then wash, deep condition and twist again.

@ reec100, for me this challenge will not end. :-))

TolaEmpress
09-05-2010, 12:57 AM
Thank you guys of all the compliments:). I did installed yarn braids with the intention of keeping them in for 6 weeks. I kept them in for 3 weeks smh...lol...They were not messy or anything but I got tired of them.

I washed and dc my hair and I braided it up again like this:

http://images56.fotki.com/v701/photos/5/469065/8758351/P8200002-vi.jpg

http://images40.fotki.com/v776/photos/5/469065/8758351/P8200005-vi.jpg

I wanted to keep it for two weeks but I got bored during hurricane Edward so it only lasted for about a week.
Currently my hair is in a chunky puff and I am on the hunt for a new PS.

TolaEmpress
09-05-2010, 05:11 PM
Hurricane Edward????? I meant Hurricane Earl. Those darn twilight books...LOL

alanija
09-05-2010, 11:01 PM
LOL, I was like, Hurricane Edward?, who's that? I put mini twists in my hair and hopefully I will be able to keep these in for two weeks. My twists normally last me about 5 days before they start looking ragged.

caribbelle
09-06-2010, 02:01 AM
I'm going to put a new set of twists in tomorrow. School starts on Wednesday and I'll be protective styling the entire winter. I need some satin to line my hats

Ms-gg
09-06-2010, 03:38 AM
I have never joined because this is a way of life for me...but I am in I guess. I don't really plan on wearing my hair "out" except for like 1 day of the month or 2 at the most. I want waist length/mbl so I am on a mission.

jaimuziq
09-06-2010, 06:15 PM
I have never joined because this is a way of life for me...but I am in I guess. I don't really plan on wearing my hair "out" except for like 1 day of the month or 2 at the most. I want waist length/mbl so I am on a mission.

That's how I feel which is why I previously said this challenge will not end for me.:)

Ms-gg
09-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I know right. Lol...

Some people hate em' but I love em' :)

Maat
09-09-2010, 05:49 AM
I haven't been on here in a while..well I put in a protective style in tonight. flat twists in the front, two strand twists in the back.

reec100
09-09-2010, 11:51 AM
@ Jaimuziq I don't think it will end for me either, I really enjoy the protective styling.

Over the weekend I did two strand twist, cornrows and box braids, tried a little of everything in one style. My hair gets really frizzy after about 5 day but I am always determined to leave my style in for two weeks does this happen to anyone else? Do any of you do the co-wash thing in between styles/while the style is still in and if so how often?

Blqcoil323
09-09-2010, 12:26 PM
yesterday I did two strand twists and trimmed the ends. My hair looks so much better without those ragged ends. Now I have the twist in an updo.

Cinnamon7778
09-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Good morning

So had my ends trimmed yesterday and I two strand twist my hair. My hair feels fabulous! I am up for the protective style challenege because I usually take my twists out 3 days after to do the free style thing. However, my hair is starting to thin again because I'm in my hair to often duh. So here I am ready, willing and ready o do the thing. enjoy your day everyone.:D

deejelks
09-09-2010, 06:02 PM
can anyone help me, i want to try the protective style challenge, but is it possible with a twa?

mscocobrwn
09-10-2010, 12:51 AM
Wow I would love to join. last week I did some microbraids with a sew-n weave in the middle. I plan on doing PS throughout the whole winter so I can gain some length. Every since I was young my hair has always gotten thick but I swear will not grow past my chin. lol. I am determined to gain some length and keep it healthy. I see alot of styles from you ladies that have given me some ideas so far. I want to join to get some encouragement

Cinnamon7778
09-10-2010, 08:26 PM
This is my second day and I'm still going strong!! Yeah:D:D:D

CoilyCarly
09-10-2010, 08:31 PM
My nappy/relaxed head is annoying me, so I'm in for this challenge! My hair's in twists now.

Shetara1365
09-10-2010, 08:58 PM
My last protective style was Yarn braids, it took forever to put them in and forever to take out, but 1 month of not fiddling with my naps made for great growth. I think my next style will be kinky twists. If not this weekend then next weekend.

Maat
09-10-2010, 11:10 PM
can anyone help me, i want to try the protective style challenge, but is it possible with a twa?

hello :) yes its possible, it looks like u have about 2 inches of hair, if I am not mistaken. u could flat twist your hair or make little twists

alanija
09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Today makes a week since I've put my mini twists in. I've had to redo a few, but for the most part they look pretty good. I haven't washed them yet, afraid to really. I'm going to try and leave them in for another week.

Cinnamon7778
09-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I am so proud of myself! This is my 4th day with two strand twists and I am loving it. Yeah!:D

blkrose
09-12-2010, 07:04 PM
I just did my first avocado condition and put in flat twist in the front and dst in the back. This will hold for two weeks I hope. Protective through the end of the year for me.:)

alanija
09-13-2010, 02:33 AM
Okay, crazy me, bored with studying, decided to wash my mini twists yesterday. Bad idea? They looked terrible, and most of them had to be redone. So after church today I untwisted them, and put conditioner on them to detangle. Decided not to wash, instead sealed the conditioner with olive oil,and some cheap hair grease my husband bought, and braided my hair. I'll be wearing them like this under my wig for the rest of this week.

deejelks
09-13-2010, 03:21 PM
ok, tried the tst, but it wouldn't stay long enough for me to finish my entire head, what did i do wrong???

DeLavon
09-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I'm in!! I love my hair now that I've learned to wash with the twist in and redo them slowly as needed. Now I don't have to do a lot of detangling. This is great.

Cinnamon7778
09-14-2010, 12:25 AM
5th day and working it!!!!! Yessss!:D

reec100
09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok so I am on my second week of my twist/cornrows and box braids and my hair looks an absolute mess. I was determined to keep the style for two weeks but couldn't continue to go to work like that. When I got off work yesterday, I went to the bss and bought a couple of half wigs. I put my stocking cap on and pinned the half wig on with a headband. I will be wearing this for the rest of this week. Will wash and do my hair this weekend not sure what I want to do with it but it will be another protective style.

Cinnamon7778
09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
On my sixth day and I have to wash but putting in another protective style. I may two twist or something different not sure but will post pic.:D

AutumnBeauty
09-14-2010, 04:34 PM
ladies, ladies ladies! I haven't posted in a minute but I'm still going strong! I just redid this set of twists on Sunday and always spritz with my mixture in the am. This time I used palmer's shea butter (for your body) and my hair is shining like new money!

jaimuziq
09-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I plan to wash, deep condition w/ steam and retwist this weekend. My hair has been in flat twists for over a week and I'm so ready to untwist them but I'll hold out til the weekend.:)

alanija
09-15-2010, 03:15 AM
Ok, I just put braids in my hair the other day and already I want to take them down. Tomorrow is my 6 month of being natural and I would really like to wash my hair and take a progress pic. And besides, I miss my fro.

Cinnamon7778
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Good morning everyone,

So I want to put bantu knots in as my next protective style. But my hair is thin in the top portion of my hair and it delicate. I'm tired of two twist and braids/cornrows hurt. Does anyone have any suggestions? :(

nicolette0
09-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Hi Ladies,

I'm joining this challenge late, but better late than never, right?!! For the first three to four months of this year, I was protective styling it up. I just reviewed my fotki and was like...whoa, good job Nikki! LOL...Then summer came and I decided that I wanted to rock my hair loose alot. I wore lots of twist outs and flat twist outs. Anyhow, it's time to get back to protective styling, yo! So, I'm in for the rest of the year!!

I've just DC'd (using Cantu Shea butter mixed with shea butter, castor oil and grapeseed oil...I really don't like the Cantu Shea butter so I decided to mix it with stuff in order to use it up...lol, silly huh?) yesterday. I washed my hair using a moisturizing condish and twisted my hair using the so-called kimmatube leave-in (just trying it to see if it works for me at all).

I'll be posting pics to my fotki to document the styles and hair growth. I need the hair in my crown to catch up with the rest of my hair! Let's go! ;-)

AksanaAnais
09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm still wiggin' it. I just bought 3 more wigs from hairsisters: Opal, Puffy and Valencia Girl. Attachments aren't working so below are the links to the wigs. Until they arrive, I will be wearing Oakland Girl by Freetress.

Opal http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/Wig1OPAL.jpg
Puffy http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/Wig2PUFFY.jpg
Valencia Girl http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/Wig3VALENCIAGIRL.jpg

I'm thinking about getting my hair professionally braided to go under the wig....but do I really wanna spend more money??

alanija
09-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone! Today marks my 6month of being natural. I washed my hair today and put tst back in. I'm going to lay off the wig for a while because I think it may be thinning my hairline. Can't have that. I'll try to keep the tst throughout fall and winter.

Cinnamon7778
09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Good morning,

Ths is week two for me wih the protective style challenge! Yeah! LOL So, I washed and DC my hair. Afterwards, I put an oxygenated treatment which is made by UNa hair products. I added a leave in condition courtesy of Kimmay and braided my hair with the shealoe mix. However, truth b told, I did wear my hair out after taking the tst out. My hair was itching (wash every week) and I was very bus with class and girls going back to school. But I did protect my hair during the process which is good for me considering how I use to neglect it.

Cinnamon7778
09-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Good morning,

Ths is week two for me wih the protective style challenge! Yeah! LOL So, I washed and DC my hair. Afterwards, I put an oxygenated treatment which is made by UNA hair products. I added a leave in condition courtesy of Kimmay and braided my hair with the shealoe mix. However, truth b told, I did wear my hair out after taking the tst out. My hair was itching (wash every week) and I was very busy with class and girls going back to school. But I did protect my hair during the process which is good for me considering how I use to neglect it.

AksanaAnais
09-17-2010, 07:15 PM
Wearing cornrows under Puffy.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/IMG_3051-1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z120/NaturaLei/IMG_3053-1.jpg

lavadava
09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
I am on a protective style challenge as well! I have been six weeks so far with tst kinda hanging in a bob like style. I actually love it but miss my curly fro style too. I am trying to hold out with my twists till Christmas. Then, as a gift to myself, ROCK MY NEW BAA!!! CANT WAIT!!! Started with 9 inches but measured it yesterday and it is 10 inches!! Lovin life. Gro fro Gro!!

lavadava
09-23-2010, 02:37 PM
"just let yo frooooooooo grow! Oh so kinky too just let it shine through!! Just let yo froooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo groooooow!!!!" roflmbo!!!

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
09-23-2010, 05:39 PM
Protective! Protective! Protective! I've been natural for 6.5 months now and I've been rocking protective styles since day one! I rarely wear my hair out and when I do I find that it can become very "thirsty" especially because of the heat here in NC! (wheeeew, first day of fall and were still breaking the 90 degree mark...) So, my goal for the summer was to keep it braided into a mo-hawk and only to let it breath every blue moon! And I've successfully acheived that goal! I'll probably rock this same style until winter then have my hair braided with "naffy" hair into "Nubian Twists" Keep up the great growth ladies!

Blqcoil323
09-24-2010, 05:33 PM
I have been wearing my two strand twists pinned up for about 2 weeks now. I DC and co wash weekly. Also I poo and retwist when needed. I have recently updated my Fotki with my recent protective styles so check it out!!!!!

abbyq
09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Ok so I have been trying the bantu twists and all these other protective styles, my scalps dry fasts after three to four days of washing my hair...Does anyone have a regimen to prevent dry scalps...I tried a couple of things someone here told me. My scalp has lasted me a longer time to be dry...HELP! pls

abbyq
09-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Is keratin a chemical...does it mess up the natural structure of the hair?

Cinnamon7778
09-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I'm wearing big tst today and plan to leave them in until I get a straw set. Is a straw set considered to be a protective style?:o

AutumnBeauty
09-26-2010, 08:38 PM
hola chicas just checking in.
I washed and put coconut oil on my scalp this morning. Did a 2 hr deep conditioner and now going to retwist hair.

peace.

jaimuziq
09-26-2010, 11:12 PM
I added flexi rods to my twists just to try something different it turned out ok. I plan to wash, deep condition and twist this weekend.:)

NappilyT
09-29-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm way late, but I'm definitely trying to join this challenge. The cold season is quickly approaching in SC! I am currently wearing cornrows to the side with a drawstring ponytail. I don't have much length after my BC, so this is really going to be a fun time for me to learn, grow, and experiment as a napptural. Good luck to everyone!

adamson
09-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Is keratin a chemical...does it mess up the natural structure of the hair?

Keratin is the protein that makes up hair, as well as nails.
I don't know much more about it, though...

Cinnamon7778
09-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I'm wearing two strand twists. I tried the finger coil and straw set but had no luck. However, my hair is filling in and thickening in the crown. Yeah! I will post pics soon

NappilyT
09-30-2010, 08:58 PM
First style: small cornrows all to the middle. I love it!

NappilyT
09-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Oh, gonna try and wear them 6 weeks as a protective style...then I'll wash, deep condition, keep my hair loose a couple days and put it in another protective style.

PaigeJ
10-01-2010, 04:40 PM
OK I attempted comb coils for the first time last night...don't laugh!!

First this is how long my hair is now:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/100_3819.jpg

My regimen was co-wash everyday with Hello Hydration, leave in with Qhemet AOHC, seal with Kemi Oyl, style with Eco-Styler Gel. Now I think I'm going to spray my coils with my conditioner every morning and then spray with some water to rejuvenate them.

Here are the coil pics. It was my first time styling natural hair. It was a learning experience for SURE!! First I failed at doing finger coils on my sides and in the back so I did comb coils. Then when I got to my crown...Oh lord...My 3C top was NOT having it so it looks a MESS LOL. I quickly learned my 4A/B hair was MUCH easier to make into coils.

This morning I redid a couple with my fingers and walla~ nice coils. So I think tonight I'll redo my top as finger coils and keep my sides and back done with the comb.

Remember, this is my first time!!

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/100_3860.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/Hoshi87/100_3866.jpg

Cinnamon7778
10-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Job well done! It looks nice. I tried the finger coils and ugh lol. But maybe i will try to use a comb. I wear tst all of the time as protective stle but I want to try something else.

PaigeJ
10-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Thank you!! I actually meant to post this in the 6 month protective style challenge :-)) oops...

alanija
10-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Today makes a full week with my cornrows. Pretty good for me, I usually take them out after 4-5 days. I washed them and put JBCO on my scalp and ends. Hope to leave them in till Oct.9th.

Cinnamon7778
10-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Loving my hair.

Cinnamon7778
10-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Congratulations alanija on your full week. I'm on my second day of tst and counting lol. I really didn't think it would be this deep for me to just leave my hair alone for awhile.

Today makes a full week with my cornrows. Pretty good for me, I usually take them out after 4-5 days. I washed them and put JBCO on my scalp and ends. Hope to leave them in till Oct.9th.

jaimuziq
10-03-2010, 08:15 PM
There's nothing like fresh twists, I should be good for two weeks.:D

TolaEmpress
10-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Still going strong. I had box braids in for three weeks. I wanted to keep them longer but I just couldnt resist the urge to take them down. I wore my hair out for a week then I braided it up again last night. I am good for three more weeks.

Cinnamon7778
10-04-2010, 11:57 PM
still doing the tiny tst. I've started massaging my hair as well on regular basis. Third day and holding strong.

nicolette0
10-06-2010, 06:22 PM
My people,

I am tired of all the time TSTs take! I love them, but I'm trying to make better use of my time so I think that I'll do them less.

Today, I'm rocking two puffs (with ends tucked in) and my bangs are the only part that is TSTed, but they are pulled back and to the side. That style still still qualifies as a protective style, right? It's a bit young, but it's neat and I see that I can leave it in all week until it is wash time. Let me know if this qualifies ladies. I'll post pics to my fotki when I get a chance. Good luck to you all!

jaimuziq
10-08-2010, 12:46 AM
@ nicolette0, in my opinion your hair is protected as long as you're not manipulating your hair everyday, you're good ;).

I feel you about the twists which is why I seem to be making mine bigger and bigger and wearing an updo :-))

alanija
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM
I had my hair in cornrows for 10 days, which is a lot for me. I've been wearing a braid out since Thurs. or Fri. Protective styling hasn't been going very well for my hair, actuallly since the weather got cooler now that I think about it. I seem to have to wash my hair more frequently because it's so dry and itchy. Washing in cornrows makes matters worse. I was living in Louisiana where we had very mild winters, and now we live in Kentucky where I'm dealing with cooler weather for my first winter back natural. Don't know what to do with this head of mine. My last class for the semester is tomorrow and I'll spend the next two weeks before classes begin again trying to figure it out. Wish me luck!

jaimuziq
10-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I am so tired but happy that I've finished my hair(pre poo, henna, deep conditioned w/ steam and small twists). How's everyone else doing?

blkrose
10-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Jaimuziq I am with you sis. I just finished my hair after a all day venture. Baking soda rinse, wash, condition, wheat germ cream with olive oil at the scalp & roots and styled. I was going for a braidy twisty hawk thingy - lol. didnt like the way my front twist were hanging so just pinned the back. I am very happy with the outcome and my arms are killing me.

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/soulofgrace/Fall%20Winter%202010%20Protective%20Styles/Oct16-1.jpg

http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/soulofgrace/Fall%20Winter%202010%20Protective%20Styles/Oct16_im-1.jpg

OHR
10-17-2010, 02:27 AM
Just finished an almost 3 hr. tst session. My crown hair has grown...lots!

Hadasah
10-17-2010, 02:46 AM
I've got about 42 twists in my hair now, and I'm going to make a few more on the bottom to get rid of the spaciness but I decided that I'm basically happier with having my braids and twists be a little bigger, because it took me 3 hours to redo this last set and that's the shortest amount of time I ever spent twisting it.

Cinnamon7778
10-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Good morning ladies,

I am still wearing protective styles. I no longer do tst or braid outs. My hair does not function well when I wear it out. I start noticing small single strand knots. So I Co wash, deep condish, moisturize and twist or finger coil. My styles last for about a week. I've had a 1/2 inch of new growth! Yeah, I'm so proud of myself.8)

empress ineka
10-19-2010, 02:09 PM
kool...so am learning and trying new stuff as i read...i jus finished taking down my locs and i am wearing a tst now so lets see how long i can keep it for

nicolette0
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
@Jaimuziq: Thanks! That's what I was thinking! I think I'll be alternating between twists (twist updos since i never like to wear them down anyway) and buns. On wash days, I feel that I have to twist my hair up in medium-large sized twist anyway. I've got some fuzzy babies in right now! LOL...Think I'll be taking these fuzzies down tonight to begin the Buns/pony tail styles till I wash later on in the week! Keepin it going! ;-)

sugafut08
10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm in. I actually started doing protective styling last week when I put my hair in cornrows. I kept them in for six days, washed my hair, and put them in another braided style (cornrows in the front and box braids in the back). I have a problem with playing in my fro so it is a challenge for me to keep protective styles in for more than a week. However, with these braids, I am aiming for 10 days...:)

Mystic213
10-19-2010, 08:15 PM
I've been doing 2 & 3 strand twists and so far so good. Finally found somebody that i'll let near my hair for my kinky twists so i'll have dem in the next couple weeks.

alanija
10-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Took my braids out day before yesterday, had them in for only four days. They looked so dry I wanted to wash and try again but once I took them down I realized how soft and moisturized my hair really was. So I wore a pony yesterday, and today washed and did an amla treatment, followed with GDLI and now have tst to dry my hair. Once dry I'm going to put some cornrows back in till next week.

GuyanesePrincess
10-22-2010, 01:21 AM
Still with my protective styling. As it gets colder, I need them even more. I'm going to wash & DC my hair tomorrow.