PDA

View Full Version : To Splurge or NOT To Splurge?

KB
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0zlmftfmO1qb6ez1o1_500.jpg

I love this ruffle [shower] curtain from Anthropolgie (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=HOME-BATH-SHOWERCURTAINS&id=993372&catId=HOME-BATH&pushId=HOME-BATH&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=25&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=067&colorName=PEACH&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=). It's in my favorite colors and it's nice and large (i've seen it in person). However the price is making me think Buyer's Remorse. :(
It's a lil over $100 which i can afford, but it makes me think is it worth it: Afterall it's large, ruffles ARE time consuming to make, and i love the rich colors.

if you were me, Would you splurge or find cheaper alternatives? (which i've seen on etsy, but mostly in white and not bright colors). Or should i just hope and pray for a sale?! :-))

Karibana
04-19-2010, 05:24 PM
1. This looks like it can be easily made. Would the cost of material and the time required be worth it?

2. Otherwise I say hope for a sale buuuut

3. I'd pay full price for it. If you can afford it and buying it won't put you in any kind of financial trouble (either small or big) then why not? If you find a really good copy then maybe go for it but otherwise, it's practical and purrrty.

Think of it this way, if you find a clothing item that fits you well, looks gorgeous but is pricier then what you'd normally pay for clothes would you go for it? Use that answer as a guide. I say don't feel guilty about the price.. It might be pricy for for a shower curtain but we're not talking thousands of dollars either. Think of it as buying some Nars cosmetics vs NYX.

LuvJones
04-19-2010, 07:04 PM
If you like it...go for it.

You're young and single why not splurge on what you like?

KB
04-19-2010, 07:47 PM
1. This looks like it can be easily made. Would the cost of material and the time required be worth it?

prolly, but i wouldn't wanna be doing a time consuming project like so http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/KeenaButtaH/Graphics/shakehead.gif . i would much rather buy it

3. I'd pay full price for it. If you can afford it and buying it won't put you in any kind of financial trouble (either small or big) then why not? If you find a really good copy then maybe go for it but otherwise, it's practical and purrrty.

Think of it this way, if you find a clothing item that fits you well, looks gorgeous but is pricier then what you'd normally pay for clothes would you go for it? Use that answer as a guide. I say don't feel guilty about the price.. It might be pricy for for a shower curtain but we're not talking thousands of dollars either. Think of it as buying some Nars cosmetics vs NYX.

you're totally right. thx!

truu truu, thx! :))
ETA: i forgot to add, this wont be my shower curtain, it'll be my living room curtain!!! :D

Fuzziwuz
04-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Cool Caribbean colors, will make a nice Aruban bathroom. However I'd either wait a bit for a sale or find an alternative. It's cute though... bright and cheery.

KB
04-19-2010, 09:33 PM
yeah, come to find out Anthro hardly and rarely does coupons and sales. i've browsed their clearance sections numerous of times and have been underwhelmed.

so many are telling me to chuck it up and buy it full priced. if i WERE to wait for it to go on clearance, it wont be that much cheaper and/or sold out.

Big Teezy
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM

I agree. I say go for it, KB. Like someone's uncle told me once, "Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself" :-))

KB
04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I agree. I say go for it, KB. Like someone's uncle told me once, "Don't cheat yourself, treat yourself" :-))

:-)) @ unc
chile, i think i treat myself a lil too damn much!! LOL!

Fuzziwuz
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
....ETA: i forgot to add, this wont be my shower curtain, it'll be my living room curtain!!! :D

:huh::huh: Describe the room: wall color, furniture color/type, theme. Are you going for a beachy, Floridian, Caribbean type look? Do you reside near the beach?

I would splurge in an area where I spend the most time, but not the least.

KB
04-19-2010, 09:58 PM
:huh: Describe the room: wall color, furniture color/type, theme. Are you going for a beachy, Floridian, Caribbean type look? Do you reside near the beach?

none of the above :-))
girl, i'm an artsy fartsy colorful person. i have my own paintings hanging around my shot gun apartment & my living room is my everything space: art space, computer room and entertainment.

and i live in Southern Cali. that's a beach city within itself! but i live about less than 20 miles away from the beach to answer your question :-))

I would splurge in an area where I spend the most time, but not the least.

well BINGO for me then!!

jorjeni
04-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Cheap twin sheets from walmart $30 worth should do it. Cut in strips pin and sew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KB
04-19-2010, 10:39 PM
noooo!! but i love the ruffle gradient effect!!! :(

caribbelle
04-20-2010, 02:28 AM
I say go for it}).
Anthropologie never does coupons, if its really popular buy it now because they have it in select numbers.

*I found out that instead of slashing the price of most of the clearance items that don't sell, they destroy most of the goods they don't donate to maintain "brand integrity":-|, so just buy it.

KB
04-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I say go for it}).
Anthropologie never does coupons, if its really popular buy it now because they have it in select numbers.

thx. that's what i figured as well

*I found out that instead of slashing the price of most of the clearance items that don't sell, they destroy most of the goods they don't donate to maintain "brand integrity":-|, so just buy it.

^ UGH! i HATE those kinda business practices!! ALOT of stores does that! >:(

bebedee
04-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Ooooh...Me likey!

You could get some pretty handmade soaps in similar colors to accent. Maybe display in a funky basket, or tie raffia around them and set them where you please.

I say buy it!

xotica
04-22-2010, 02:22 AM
That curtain IS rather gorgeous.....However..I'd go on etsy & check for shoppers who make something similar [you said you did]. Then ask if they do custom listings & tell them what colors, size, etc & see how much they'd run you.

If they can't do it..then hey GO FOR IT :)

ETA : there use to be a link but now there isn't. lol.

KB
04-22-2010, 03:21 AM
^ LOL!
i searched on etsy and there ARE some "ruffle curtain" listings, but not intricate and colorful like so

when i return from NY next month i'm gunna try to buy it.

thx errybody!!! :))

KB
04-22-2010, 03:27 AM
*passes out from the colorful ruffley goodness*

http://indiarose.com/i/prod/detail/bath/ruffledcrtns.jpg

India Rose (http://indiarose.com/shop/detail_all?prod=ruffledcrtns)
it seems like the cost of these things running $100+ is common :huh:

xotica
04-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Hey Kb...have you considered copping a white one & dip dying it?

KB
04-22-2010, 03:36 AM
not a bad idea. but that's a whole HEAP of dye to be using!

xotica
04-22-2010, 03:45 AM
Lmao [side eye] Urban outfitters has white ruffle curtains online. Shower curtain is $68, regular curtain is $78.

KB
04-22-2010, 03:57 AM
yeah, dem are old. i was eyeing those last year. but after i saw the colorful ones by Anthro (which is basically the "higher" end of Urban Outfitters for those who didnt know) i was sold.

plus i dont do too well with white. gets dirty too fast.

xotica
04-22-2010, 04:24 AM
Just buy the Anthro curtains woman..lmao

KB
04-22-2010, 04:29 AM
duh! i am after my trip!!!.....
:p

anabwi
04-23-2010, 02:51 PM
Maybe you'll find one in NYC?

wugambina
04-27-2010, 08:55 PM
wait for the sale

mslady
04-30-2010, 04:00 AM
KB, I really like these. Girl, if you don't hurry up and buy it. If you wait too long it will be GONE!!!

KB
04-30-2010, 04:03 AM
KB, I really like these. Girl, if you don't hurry up and buy it. If you wait too long it will be GONE!!!

no pressure please :o

i put it into the universe that it'll be mine in due time. if not, it's not meant to be. i'm trying to die down my instant "splurges". i justify too much when i spend on some things i dont need for the moment. so i'm trying to be a patient young grasshoppa >)

mslady
05-03-2010, 12:13 AM
^^ I hear ya...sometimes you do have to say to yourself is this a need or a want. BUT!!!!!!! It seems like you really wanted it!

No pressure. LOL

MsDev
05-13-2010, 03:00 AM
KB have you been on your trip yet? If so have you purchased the curtians yet?. I'm nosey!!:-)).

KB
05-13-2010, 03:21 AM
NOPE! my trip isn't until the end of this month until the first week of june! :-))