PDA

View Full Version : Straight Hair Itch?

pmrannie1
04-23-2010, 09:14 PM
*Disclaimer* I am in no way advocating straight hair!

Is it just me, or does anyone else ever get an itch to straighten their hair every blue moon? I think once or twice a year I do a length check and have this desire for like a day or two to straighten my hair.

Mind you, I have never used heat since being natural and the thought of heat damage is more frightening to me than words can describe. But every once in a while I think about it (and immediately feel guilty afterward!)

Anyone else?

LaynieX
04-23-2010, 09:43 PM
Yep to me it's just hair and once or twice a year won't kill you or your hair. Everyone's entitled to try a new style if that want. Only downside is that since you have a head of nappy hair, any type of alteration (if any at all) that the heat does to your hair, you're going to notice that. If you think you can stomach that go for it. It's a risk of some straight ends if any at all so if that's something you can take, go for it.

Q_tee
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Its normal to want change..but be careful cause it may damage ur hair..

Mojito Chica
04-23-2010, 10:11 PM
Nope, I don't like the way I look with straight hair.

AuNappturale
04-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone else?Nope. Never. That standard is for someone else.

Nepenthe
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
A few weeks ago I pressed my hair for the first time in years. The funniest thing about it was that I realized I don't love it on me. Not to mention all that work can easily be ruined by humidity or rain.. things that don't really affect my curls. High maintainable with a low return, at least for me.

Some people like change, others don't.

Journeytosound
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM
LOL .. I get that itch every now and again simply because of how thick my hair is, but everytime I see someone placing a walmart shopping bag over their head and running to their car or destination, I laugh so hard at them trying to protect their fresh perm or press & curl. I am reminded of how thankful I am for my beautiful low maintenance fro.

NatureLover
04-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I did it a while ago and now have to cut off a few inches of damage, so no that experiment killed my straight hair itch.

I get a loc itch though and a BAA itch

DeeLite
04-23-2010, 10:58 PM
I don't get that itch. I'm a low-maintenance gal and straight hair on hair that wants to be coily and kinky is high maintenance IMO.

chocodoll
04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
My itch resulted in a relapse a few years ago. Now it has been two (this June) since my last relaxer and I love it. It is normal for some to miss what they've been accustomed to for so long.

Maat
04-23-2010, 11:21 PM
eh...nah I have never felt that way.

Free2b
04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Not once... my hair was flat and boring when it was straight.

pmrannie1
04-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Even when I used the crack my hair was bouncy, full and thick so it was never really dull or boring or flat unless I let a beautician get to it.

There's no way on this side of heaven that I'm going to put heat on froisha. I can't stomach the thought of losing or damaging her!

But...I am considering a heat free roller set at the end of the summer as a reward if I reach a hair goal of mine. We shall see.

CoilyHairedBeauty
04-24-2010, 01:45 AM
...Gulp...

It's a complicated subject for me. I've been heat-free for three years and am never going back. I know heat damage is Russian Roulette, and I'm just not up for it.

I love my hair in its natural state, however, --and this is hard for me to admit--sometimes I wonder what my hair would look like these days, if i were to fl.a.t iron it. :o

OP, ita with what you're saying. I feel guilty at times, too. I'm over the whole straight hair is better thing; but why do I sometmes wonder what my hair would look like?

They're just feelings, though. I never act on them. And me wanting to see it st8-end only lasts a day or two. I alLeviate it by wearing stretched styles or thinking about the time i had he.at damage lol :p

beetle87
04-24-2010, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't call it a straight itch. I just want to explore the many possibilities of my natural hair. My hair is big and beautiful when I wear straight or in natural styles (thanks to my uber thick hair). I don't feel guilty b/c I'm passed that stage where I feeling like I'm betraying my natural roots. I haven't damaged my hair yet but if I did, I can always cut it off. It's hair and it will grow back.

aSmileNCurls
04-24-2010, 02:09 AM
I would have to say I understand where your coming from. I usually where my hair naturally curly for a couple weeks and then I wear it straight for a couple weeks. I guess the heat once a week does do some damage, but I like my hair straight & Im growing to love it naturally curly. I like a balance between both.

sistarisin
04-24-2010, 02:15 AM
ummm hmmmm and yes like chocodoll said - it can lead to a relapse or two! i'm about to BC and am terribly missing my 8" afro!

Wild Magnolia
04-24-2010, 02:52 AM
OP, I'm with ya. I've been natural for a lil upwards of 2 years and I'm starting to get curious about how my hair would look straightened. I'm resisting the urge by wearing small box braids. I feel like the look of my braids would be very similar to my hair straightened and I'm retaining a good amount of growth. It's really a win-win situation.

mymy
04-24-2010, 03:26 AM
I haven't had the desire to straighten my hair at all. I know what my hair looks like straight so the thrill is gone.

paranoia
04-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Like someone else said, I wouldn't call it a "straight hair itch" either. I think there is a difference between someone who wants to straighten their hair "to be like everyone else" or "to fit society's definition of good hair" or whatever and someone who wants to straighten their hair for the sake of versitality or curiousity. I look at it like a fashion trend. If everyone around me started wearing green nikes, I would only do the same if I actually liked the shoe. Not because everyone else was doing it. I wouldn't care who 'thought' I was following the trend. I would know that I was doing it because I happened to like what the trend was. After all, it IS all about pleasing yourself, right? It just comes down to what you like. I, personally wouldn't mind having straight hair once in a blue moon if I didn't have to use heat to get it, however, I'm more concerned about the health of my hair than the look of it. I think it's pretty easy to decipher those who want to fit in and those who are their own person. If they're comfortable with themselves and carry themselves confidently, then that's all that matters. If a natural is curious what their hair would look like straight, that's totally fine as long as they know what they're risking. I've come to notice that a lot of natural women frown on using heat for styles not only because it's damaging, but (sometimes) also because it sort of shows that someone is "trying to change who they are", or "is trying to fit in", but like I said, it just depends on the personality and motives of the actual person, IMO. Yes, heat IS damaging and really, no one should use it, but hey, people are going to do what they want.

Whitley Gilbert
04-24-2010, 03:39 AM
Nope, I don't like the way I look with straight hair.

I haven't had the desire to straighten my hair at all. I know what my hair looks like straight so the thrill is gone.

I agree with mojito and mymy. I never get the urge.

It's been around 5 years since I've used heat (I used it sparingly my first two years natural because the stylist who dyed my hair didn't know anything else). Anyway, I wore straight hair from fourth grade until my sophomore year in college. I know how I look with straight hair and it's not something that I ever want to go back to. If I get nostalgic, I'll dust off a photo album or a yearbook. :-))

afroknots11412
04-24-2010, 03:51 AM
I have but I know I would wash my hair right after. I would straighten it not for the look but just to see my true length. and to me thats just pointless.

also I don't like the way I look with straight hair. I look totally different in an uncomfortable way.

kottonkurlz
04-24-2010, 04:01 AM
I did it and wanted to wash my hair after a day or two. To much work for little reward. My edges and ends were crispy and it took a while for them to revert back if ever. They probably broke off. I am curious to see how long it is but I am more curious how to achieve a straighter look without using heat. I think I will try a roller set of one of these days.

afroknots11412
04-24-2010, 04:28 AM
^^ yeah I have seen a couple of youtube vids were people have gotten there hair straight with out heat. its amazing. all you gotta do is get your roller set skills on point and get some saran wrap

CinnamonBiscuit
04-24-2010, 04:32 AM
No. I hate hair straightening and I dislike unnaturally straight hair. I think it's overrated.

Gene P
04-24-2010, 05:17 AM
You know, I used to get that urge at least twice a year - and every time, the salon would burn my coils straight. In fact...last time I went, he burned my ear!

That being said, I understand where you are coming from, and from my experience, it was never worth it. I would straighten my hair and then avoid the gym and any type of moisture in the air, including snow, rain, and steam from long showers.

Maybe a twist-out or a natural straw set?

pmrannie1
04-24-2010, 06:12 AM
Isn't it funny that my desire to straighten is gone just that quick? Washed my kinks and thought about how I'd have to dodge water for however long to keep up the style. No water? No steamy droplets of moisturizing, hydrating water? For DAYS?!?!??! Nah, I'm good :-D

bhop13
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I have a million pictures of me with straight hair and that's what I wore for most of my life. I don't get an itch.

southerncurl
04-24-2010, 01:10 PM
I look and feel average with straight hair...its not for me.

Faithlyn
04-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I've been natural for nearly a year now and I definitely get a straight /texturise/dry curl hair itch.Natural hair is really about patience and perseverance you have to remember your goals and the hard work that you have put in already.As for pressing I'm really not sure its worth it,all that time and money to get it done and with the slightest bit of moisture you hair could be ruined.

GalaxyGirl2012
04-24-2010, 01:27 PM
not really. on the odd occasions that does happen i just cornrow my hair and put on a straight wig. it would way too much time and effort to attempt to str8en my hair

tenachie
04-24-2010, 01:41 PM
i used to in the beginning and would end up hotcombing about once a year. I haven't in a really long time...now in my 12th yr

~GAN~
04-24-2010, 02:16 PM
The other day I saw a picture of myself with straight hair and I thought it was cute and sometimes I miss my bob sometimes, but it just seemed so lifeless to me and entirely too much work. I love my hair like it is now. Its about the same length as it was when I had straight hair so I'm cool. Its always been more of a length issue with me than texture.

I think you're feelings are normal though! :)

bhop13
04-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I look and feel average with straight hair...its not for me.

Me too. I look at a lot of pictures and think "oh that's so cute" but then I realize that I look like everyone else. There's nothing really that different.

LBellatrix
04-24-2010, 05:16 PM
It's been 6.5 years since I last straightened my natural hair. Despite that, sure, I get the itch on occasion. If I could borrow the body of an Indian woman with long thick straight black hair for a week, sure, I could get down with it. The closest alternative -- buying a wig or weave made with Indian hair -- doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. And the other alternatives go down -- WAY down -- from there.

Next lifetime, maybe? *shrug*

Moderator W
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
Closed, no spin offs