PDA

View Full Version : Dry Hair

Typoz
05-28-2004, 02:23 AM
I have been reading about the many kinds of moisturizers to put on locs. Are Sisterlocks any different? I am afraid to put too much moisturizer on them now because they are new. I am spritzing them with water and Infuseum. I've had them for 6 weeks. Can I use something a little stronger? :-?

Typoz

nubian
05-28-2004, 05:49 PM
Mayber spritz your hair and try using some sweet almond oil or jajoba oil. It helped me, but I don't have sistalocks.

chelsa
05-28-2004, 06:25 PM
I don't think they recommend oil for sister locks, just their shampoo and water. What does your loctician say?

skchocolate
05-28-2004, 09:31 PM
i like your briadlocs chelsa how do you retwist?

marissasensei
05-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Which Infusium are you using? I believe the watery leave-in has a lot of protein in it, so if you're using it often, that could explain why your hair is feeling dry.

When I got my SL, I started off not using any products other than the starter shampoo, per my consultant's instructions. That lasted all of a week before I realized that using the starter (clarifying) shampoo was a recipe for hair that felt like crap.

From that point on, I spritzed my hair with distilled water and either essential oils or a hair oil. I made sure to dilute it enough so that it wouldn't have too much 'slip,' but it was enough to keep my hair from feeling so dry.

chelsa
05-30-2004, 04:32 AM
i like your briadlocs chelsa how do you retwist?

Thanks for the compliment, skchocolate,
I am latching every month or so.

exhort
05-31-2004, 08:02 PM
Don't have SL but have been cultivating for 3 years. To combat dry hair I massage jojoba oil into my hair and scalp before i shower. I pin my locs on the top of my head and allow the steam from the schower to moisten them. The combination of the oil and the steam makes them very soft. During the summer I do this process daily.

Typoz
06-01-2004, 02:25 PM
I am using Infuseum 23 original. My loctician said I could put a little in a spritz bottle with water. I don't use too much.

I have a bottle of Nature's Shine organic root stimulator. Will that do if I dilute it with LOTS of water?

Jlmashby
06-02-2004, 03:19 AM
I have Sisterlocks too - 3.5 months now and just recently it started feeling a little dry. Occassionaly, I will moisturize, my scalp only, using Dark and Lovely Naturally Hydrating Citrus Braid & Sheen Spray - it is very light and nice smelling. Also, sometimes I use Kemi Laboratories Pro-Cidic Plus Rinse - again really light and 95% natural. I feel these products help to combat the dryness.

I will update the message when I get home with the exact name of products.

Edited to add correct product names.

Jlmashby
06-02-2004, 05:15 AM
Typoz, although I didn't see any pictures of your Sisterlocks on your website, I must say that I was totally impressed because it is informative, well-written and has beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Typoz
06-03-2004, 01:32 AM

The pictures are not on my website. I put them on Yahoo but could not properly post the URL here. I have to find a new place to put them to share with all of you.

As for my dry hair, my loctician gave me this formula:

In a glass mix...
1 part Apple Cider Vinegar
2 parts warm water
2-3 drops of peppermint/sage oil
* Wash your hair with SisterLocks Shampoo. After you have fully rinsed your hair, part your hair down the middle and pour the mix directly on your scalp as your final rinse. You will notice a change immediately.

I will try this and let you know what happens.

Typoz