PDA

View Full Version : Family Tree DNA

awren
05-15-2010, 06:16 PM
My hubby and I got this done, and I got the results today. Turns out that my ancestor matches are from Sierra Leone (sp?), Cameroon, Ghana, and Dominican Republic.

Hubby's matches were from Benin, Nigeria, Kenya and Cameroon.

I've always wondered where we came from, now we know. Maybe one day I'll get to Sierra Leone and find some distant relatives.:)

Have you had this done? What were your results

Mojito Chica
05-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Which DNA test do you take?

Rcoleman
05-15-2010, 08:58 PM
My hubby and I got this done, and I got the results today. Turns out that my ancestor matches are from Sierra Leone (sp?), Cameroon, Ghana, and Dominican Republic.

Hubby's matches were from Benin, Nigeria, Kenya and Cameroon.

I've always wondered where we came from, now we know. Maybe one day I'll get to Sierra Leone and find some distant relatives.:)

Have you had this done? What were your results

I had this done 4 years ago...with the low resolution test I matched 14 countries.

The top matches are
Mozambique
Angola
Sao Tome & Principe
Yemen

Needless to say I recently ordered the High resolution tests to narrow the list down some...I should have results in the next few weeks.

Rcoleman
05-15-2010, 09:06 PM

I took the mtDNA test which tests the matrilinial line of your family...your mom, your mom's mom etc without influence from the other liniages (fathers, grand-fathers) there are low and high resolution and full genome testing. The more extensive the test, the more it costs.

Women can only get the mtDNA tests. Men can get the yDNA and the mtDNA since the Y is only passed from father to son. Sons can get the mtDNA since the mother can pass it to the son however, he is unable to pass it to their offspring.

I hope this is not confusing to you....It took me a while to understand it myself.

awren
05-17-2010, 12:10 AM

mtDNA. I was surprised that my human migration patterns went from Africa to Central America. I'd have never guessed I had any Central American roots.

CinnamonBiscuit
05-17-2010, 04:11 AM
How do I take it and how much does it cost?

Tori726
05-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Which vendor did you choose? I was thinking about getting the tests done for my father. (Mom isn't interested and I can get mine done to find out hers.)

awren
05-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Which vendor did you choose? I was thinking about getting the tests done for my father. (Mom isn't interested and I can get mine done to find out hers.)

www.familytreedna.com (http://www.familytreedna.com)

SweetHoneyLocs
03-25-2011, 05:02 PM
I had my mtdna done at family tree dna, however I was not told exactly which countries it was a match for based on the haplogroup. Turns out that my haplogroup is L3 (further testing shows it is L3f1b).

Family tree dna now does a test known as family finder. In that test it breaks down population percentage. According to the test I am 75.18% West African (Yoruba) and 24.82% European (French, Oracadian, Russian).

Fedyfro
03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I did Family Finder and the mtDNA test with Family Tree also. All of my mtDNA African matches were in one country, Gabon.

SweetHoneyLocs
03-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I did Family Finder and the mtDNA test with Family Tree also. All of my mtDNA African matches were in one country, Gabon.

You so lucky. I haven't any matches in Africa yet. {o Most of mine have been in the USA, and half of those are not of African descent.

Fedyfro
03-29-2011, 06:12 PM
^^^I only have one high resolution match in the U.S. and she's not claiming me. LOL