PDA

View Full Version : Torn b/w two faiths???

bambino
04-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Ladies,

what are your opinions or suggestions?

i have been brought up as a catholic up until my 16th birthday (did the first communion and confirmation thing) but i never "felt" like this was the "religion" for me to follow. but ever since i went to college, i have been going to baptist church service and i love it.. . . although i can pass on the 2 and 3 hour church service, i feel connected to the baptist faith. sometimes i just need to hear a good sermon and i feel like the pastor is talking directly to me and i have my answer to my problem or the sermon has cleared an issue that was confusing/not clear to me before. my issue is this: next month i am expecting to give birth to my first child, the daddy is baptist and i am confused as to what to do? i am scared (if that is what you call it) to relinquish catholism to follow the baptist faith, but i feel more connected to the baptist faith.

please give any input if you can. i have been struggling for the past year wit this issue

brwnsuga7310
04-23-2003, 04:51 AM
Where do you feel God is calling you to be? If you're unsure, pray and ask God to give you guidance on which church to choose. I get the feeling that you already know the answer, that you know where you want to go, but something outside of church is holding you back from making your decision. Do you feel that you may be disappointing your parents or other family members if you decide to leave the Catholic church?

starchild
04-23-2003, 03:21 PM
hark unto the lord. If God wants you to go to a place where you are being fed, then you should go. All this demoniation stuff irks me. If you change churches will you go to hell? will you get kicked out of the body of christ? i don;t think so. I grew up Baptist but i love to go to pentecostal cause of the fire that is in the church. Go where you are being fed, nah mean? If the catholic church is not feeding your spirit and is not helping you to get a personal relationship with the lord, i'll say leave it alone. Cause if you don;t know God, not hearing or reading about him, but really know him, you are really missing out and i think that is what is missing with the religion today. People are reading about God, knowing stories and scriptures, praying but they don;t really know him. Step out on faith and believe, i mean really believe with no doubt in your heart and you will be fine.

MariposaMorena08
04-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Okay, here I am with my 1 cent opinion. I agree with what everyone else said. Your soul is more important than *anything*, if you don't have sight of that then you will be lost. Like the sisters said, go where you are being fed spiritually. Also, I would be careful just because a lot of folks go to church looking for a utopian society within 4 walls and heaven ain't here! Look to God and he will tell you where he wants you to be and what he wants you to do.

:B-fly:

elleebeme5
04-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Being torn between two denominations, as you are, can be difficult. It sounds like its more of the culture of worship style that is challenging for you. I personally don't care for loud, hand clapping, long services. When I've moved to a new city and sought a church with which to unite, I eliminated any church with a service over 90 minutes.

As you're struggling between Catholism and Baptist, you might look at the doctrine of the two. If you truly believe what the Catholic church teaches you and you are prepared to adhere to its structure, then stay there. I know that there are rocking parishes out there. OTOH, if the Baptist doctrine - which is essentially every person for him/herself - fits you, then go there. For me, the establishment of the personal relationship with and responsibility to God was vital in my decision to stay Baptist. It it's also important that the local church maintain control of itself which is not true of all denominations. Looking at those factors made the choice easy for me. I hope that you have some insight. You'll make the right choice if you lean on the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

bambino
04-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Where do you feel God is calling you to be? If you're unsure, pray and ask God to give you guidance on which church to choose. I get the feeling that you already know the answer, that you know where you want to go, but something outside of church is holding you back from making your decision. Do you feel that you may be disappointing your parents or other family members if you decide to leave the Catholic church?

I don't think it will be so much of a disappointment to my family, i guess i am more so scared than anything. your advice has been EXTREMELY helpful.

bambino
04-23-2003, 11:44 PM
hark unto the lord. If God wants you to go to a place where you are being fed, then you should go. All this demoniation stuff irks me. If you change churches will you go to hell? will you get kicked out of the body of christ? i don;t think so. I grew up Baptist but i love to go to pentecostal cause of the fire that is in the church. Go where you are being fed, nah mean? If the catholic church is not feeding your spirit and is not helping you to get a personal relationship with the lord, i'll say leave it alone. Cause if you don;t know God, not hearing or reading about him, but really know him, you are really missing out and i think that is what is missing with the religion today. People are reading about God, knowing stories and scriptures, praying but they don;t really know him. Step out on faith and believe, i mean really believe with no doubt in your heart and you will be fine.

Thank you for your advice. . . . i am all about knowing my Lord. He has brought me a long way and on a journey that i'd never thought i would be on if i DIDN'T KNOW, TRUST AND LOVE my lawd.

curlygirl
04-28-2003, 03:56 PM
I totally relate to your situation, but it's the reverse for me. I am Protestant and feel strongly called to the Catholic faith. I also have some anxiety, but I trust that the pull is from God, that he is calling me to change my path for reasons that are not totally clear to me. I know it's right because I do feel spiritually fed and renewed during Mass. I have not felt that spirit of renewal and nurturing for a while in the Protestant church.

My experience has been that when something is speaking that clearly and strongly to me, it is God. Trust what he is telling you, he will help you work out the details.