PDA

View Full Version : After More Than a Year on FSG, I finally Got the Recipe Perfect!

naturalgirl69
05-22-2010, 02:55 AM
For me anyway. Thought I'd share for those of you who struggle with it. I LOVE this stuff. I am never without it in my fridge. NEVER. I have a natural preservative (geogard) but I don't even use it in there, since I go through the gel before it spoils.
Ok, on to my recipe

I used approximately 1/4 cup of golden flaxseeds (I use the brown ones too, just not this recipe) And also note, this was a second reuse that I froze from the first use.

8oz distilled water
2oz aloe vera juice CONCENTRATE (I got this at a place that sells bee and soap making supplies)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum (sounds like a lot but I don't like watery gel. Next time I will reduce by a little bit, but the recipes that call for 1/16th of a tsp just don't do it for me!)

1 tbsp coconut oil (the real thing, not the white refined stuff)
1 tbsp glycerin

I brought the fsg in the aloe/water to a boil, then reduced to simmer for about 15 minutes. I turned off the stove while it was still watery then. While the fsg was on the stove, I warmed the coconut oil on top of it, double boiler style. After the coconut oil was melted, I removed from heat, and quickly added in the glycerin, mixed, then the xanthan gum. It is CRITICAL that this blending of the oils be done after the fsg is done boiling or else it will become too hard to blend.

Then I added in the oil mix slowly into the fsg and used a cake blender (hand mixer) and blended till it started to thicken. The blending took about three minutes.

PURE BLISS. I was so excited with the results, I even forgot about adding fragrance and I have plenty. But the smell is very coconuty and lovely so I didn't mind.

The yield for this is a little over 8oz of gel. I keep in a pump style bottle because it dispenses just the right amount, and sometimes a regular bottle with the squeeze top.

naturalgirl69
05-23-2010, 02:06 PM
wow, quiet bunch! 36 views and no comments?

Cerendipity
05-23-2010, 03:42 PM
FSG is indeed the bomb. Folks have tons of recipes floating around. This sounds pretty cool. I use aloe in place of water and that's it.

chocolynne
05-23-2010, 04:14 PM
Excellent. I'll have to try this.

chinani
05-23-2010, 07:11 PM
I've been away from Nappturality for awhile, so...

What is FSG?)8-| And, what do you use it for? (I know this are uber basic questions...)

naturalgirl69
05-23-2010, 11:02 PM
FSG stands for flax seed gel. The gel is made from the seeds. Best stuff on earth!!! Shiniest, tightest twists and banging twistouts. love the stuff.

in the name of love
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
So it holds and moisturizes and seals all in one ?? or just hold?

either way-- i cant wait to experiment and make this!!

naturalgirl69
05-25-2010, 10:25 PM
great hold, but not the drying kind.

newlynaturalagain
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds like a great recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Krystle~Hime
05-29-2010, 04:29 PM
what do flax seeds do for hair?

toriq
06-02-2010, 05:51 PM
what do flax seeds do for hair?
i think it's liked for it's muciliage (product-thickening effect.) Not sure about how it nourishes the hair though.

So i'm wondering if i can use pure aloe vera gel (i use GNC, but currently have Lily of Desert) and it's really thick. Will that do?

teppuM
06-03-2010, 01:54 PM
this sounds really interesting :D will have to book mark :D

animalhouse
09-26-2010, 09:28 PM
O.k. Iím a little confused. I ordered all the ingredients. I ordered flax seeds by mistake. Then I ordered flax seed oil. Now I notice that you need flax seed gel. I can not find the gel. Where do you get it? Or can you use the flax seed oil? Thanks.

Venetter
10-02-2010, 03:47 AM
O.k. Iím a little confused. I ordered all the ingredients. I ordered flax seeds by mistake. Then I ordered flax seed oil. Now I notice that you need flax seed gel. I can not find the gel. Where do you get it? Or can you use the flax seed oil? Thanks.

You were right in ordering the flax seeds. The recipe is to make the gel from the seeds. I don't know too much about using the oil for your hair, but I know that it is a healthy oil nutrition-wise. Just make sure to keep it in the fridge cuz it spoils quickly.

LBellatrix
10-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I can see how you were confused...she says she brings the flaxseed gel (FSG) to boil, but what she's doing is boiling flaxseeds in the aloe/water combination.

Seeing as I have ground flaxseed meal in my fridge right now...anybody have any experience making FSG from that?

naturalgirl69
10-09-2010, 06:53 PM
bellatrix, no, ground flaxseed would not work. As far as I know. In that form, I don't think you can get a gel to form from it.

creativity
06-13-2011, 01:49 PM
^You can get gel from the ground kind but the straining the bits out of the gel is the issue. I use ground flaxseed w/blueberries in my fruit smoothies.

NubianPrize
11-12-2011, 04:29 AM
bumping for more info. Gotta try this sometime

NasdaqDiva
11-12-2011, 11:48 PM
Sounds like a great mixture!

quishe
02-05-2012, 03:31 AM
thanks for the recipe!! FABULUS!!

melissa-bee
02-28-2012, 02:05 PM
Gonna try one day.

siennamoonshine
03-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Do you need to keep the gel in the refrigerator ?

fuzzy_slippers
12-28-2012, 03:57 AM
Thanks for this recipe! I can't wait to try it.

KreativeKoils
12-30-2012, 03:09 AM
I don't really use gel, but I might try out the recipe