PDA

View Full Version : Was I wrong? Braid salon experience

ilovelife
05-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I posted before about a braid salon in Harlem that I like going to. I've been there twice already for cornrows. Today would have been my first time getting kinky twists. I went there yesterday to show a picture of the style I wanted as well as find out the costs. The braider I spoke to told me to get one package of human hair which I did. I also told her I would like her to do it. She told me they can't make appointments it's first come first serve so just get there early which I did. I got there at 9:10 AM this morning. They open at 9:30. The young lady was not there yet so I told the person there I would wait for her if that was okay. I was also the first person there.

Another woman comes in. She comes from Virginia to get her hair done every three months. The woman from Virginia told me a horror story about one of the braiders there who did her hair. When the braider came in she pointed her out to me. Then another woman comes in. She tells me she has an appointment to get her hair done with the same woman I am waiting for. I told her I was hoping that woman would do my braids but I guess I would have to settle for someone else. She told me everyone is good minus...surprise, surprise. The same woman the lady from Virginia told me about. Then one of the woman tells me that the same braider both women complained about would do my hair. I politely declined and told her I would wait for Fantu to do my hair after she finished the woman she had the appointment with.

First off, I was told there are no appointments. I was the first person there and all clients after me were seenmfirst. When the owner comes in she comes straight to me and tells me I am starting trouble with her staff and I shouldn't listen to other people telling me not to let her do my hair. She also told me if I wanted an appointment I should call her. I told her I was told that I am notmallowed to make appointments and since I am paying I should be able to get my hair done by whom I want if she is available. She was really irate. She told me I should have called her as soon as I got there. I told her one of her staffers could have called her if there was a problem but I did not want that woman doing my hair. I told her I have been there twice before and have referred her shop to a number of people and if she wanted me to continue coming back yelling was not the best way to speak to me.

She calmed down and told me another woman could braid my hair. I told her that was fine but when I came in in the morning I was told that woman did not do that hair style. She goes on and on about how I am starting trouble. I took my bag of hair and left. She follows me outside asking me I am coming back. I told her no and she asks me why. I told her she doesn't need to yell and that if she wants customers to come back she should pay attention when they complain about a stylist. I told her thanks but no thank you.

I am annoyed because I wasted my time. The sad thing is the girls there do good work and was happy with the two women who braided my hair before. Is there a way I should have handled this differently? I will not return to this salon because the way they do t hngs does not work for me.

mariposa mama
05-22-2010, 08:40 PM
I think you did the right thing.

Julia_75
05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
You def did the right thing. I think it is extra awesome that you didn't allow someone you didn't trust to do your hair. TOO many women will go against their gut because they just want their hair done and end up jacked.

GalaxyGirl2012
05-22-2010, 10:09 PM
you did the right thing. i'd try and directly call the person you want to do your hair

Scribetastic
05-22-2010, 10:09 PM
I posted before about a braid salon in Harlem that I like going to. I've been there twice already for cornrows. Today would have been my first time getting kinky twists. I went there yesterday to show a picture of the style I wanted as well as find out the costs. The braider I spoke to told me to get one package of human hair which I did. I also told her I would like her to do it. She told me they can't make appointments it's first come first serve so just get there early which I did. I got there at 9:10 AM this morning. They open at 9:30. The young lady was not there yet so I told the person there I would wait for her if that was okay. I was also the first person there.

Another woman comes in. She comes from Virginia to get her hair done every three months. The woman from Virginia told me a horror story about one of the braiders there who did her hair. When the braider came in she pointed her out to me. Then another woman comes in. She tells me she has an appointment to get her hair done with the same woman I am waiting for. I told her I was hoping that woman would do my braids but I guess I would have to settle for someone else. She told me everyone is good minus...surprise, surprise. The same woman the lady from Virginia told me about. Then one of the woman tells me that the same braider both women complained about would do my hair. I politely declined and told her I would wait for Fantu to do my hair after she finished the woman she had the appointment with.

First off, I was told there are no appointments. I was the first person there and all clients after me were seenmfirst. When the owner comes in she comes straight to me and tells me I am starting trouble with her staff and I shouldn't listen to other people telling me not to let her do my hair. She also told me if I wanted an appointment I should call her. I told her I was told that I am notmallowed to make appointments and since I am paying I should be able to get my hair done by whom I want if she is available. She was really irate. She told me I should have called her as soon as I got there. I told her one of her staffers could have called her if there was a problem but I did not want that woman doing my hair. I told her I have been there twice before and have referred her shop to a number of people and if she wanted me to continue coming back yelling was not the best way to speak to me.

She calmed down and told me another woman could braid my hair. I told her that was fine but when I came in in the morning I was told that woman did not do that hair style. She goes on and on about how I am starting trouble. I took my bag of hair and left. She follows me outside asking me I am coming back. I told her no and she asks me why. I told her she doesn't need to yell and that if she wants customers to come back she should pay attention when they complain about a stylist. I told her thanks but no thank you.

I am annoyed because I wasted my time. The sad thing is the girls there do good work and was happy with the two women who braided my hair before. Is there a way I should have handled this differently? I will not return to this salon because the way they do t hngs does not work for me.
I wear my hair 100% natural, no braids and no twists unless I do them (and they're not that good, so maybe I should just get over that.) One reason is because I find a lot of braiders to be, frankly, unprofessional. A lot don't listen. The braiding salons just from a price issue are out of my range right now. However, when I lived abroad, I found a salon that did it all: braids, mani/pedis, etc and when there all the time. I still refer people to them too. ;)

I lived in Harlem the first few months I lived in NYC. There are braiders like every few steps soliciting for work on 125th. Of course, the thing that is lacking are references.

I think you did the right thing. All you need to do is ask around about good braiders in the area to find one. I find most women in this city respond positively to compliments and, if you ask someone where they got their hair done, I'm sure most will share that info no problem.

bettycakes
05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
You most definitely did the right thing. If customers are telling you a certain braider is no good don't let them touch your hair. Always go with what you feel. :) That braider probably would have made a mess anyway.

ilovelife
05-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all of the replies. The entire experience has made me decide to try and do it myself. The experience really bothered me because I had been there twice before without incident and was happy with the work. I knew if I let this woman do my hair, she would have braided them tight and she had an attitude. As much as I wanted to get my hair done, I'm glad I followed my gut. I'll post back when I get the courage to try the twists on my own. I'm scared. LOL

BLUELOCS
05-23-2010, 05:20 AM
What made those other clients start telling you how bad the braider was that you didnt want to do your hair? How did that conversation get started?

naturalmadison
05-23-2010, 08:00 PM
I think you did the completely right thing. If you are paying for a service, you have the right to let whomever you want do your hair. Especially if you are willing to wait for that person. They can't TELL you who to give your money to.

masoesa
05-23-2010, 09:04 PM
Yes you did. I do understand that you feel bad because you wanted your hair braided and nobody feels happy arguing but you def. did. I know a good braider in Brooklyn if you are interested. Bah African Braiding: 718 443 1597. The owner is very nice.

ilovelife
05-24-2010, 02:23 AM
What made those other clients start telling you how bad the braider was that you didnt want to do your hair? How did that conversation get started?

The lady from Virginia and I started talking about hair and she asked me what stylist I was waiting for. I told her that same braider did my cornrows the second time I was there and I told her how much I really liked the first person. Then she started to tell me her experience about the "bad" braider.

ilovelife
05-24-2010, 02:24 AM
Yes you did. I do understand that you feel bad because you wanted your hair braided and nobody feels happy arguing but you def. did. I know a good braider in Brooklyn if you are interested. Bah African Braiding: 718 443 1597. The owner is very nice.

Thanks for the braider information. I really appreciate it! Do you know of anyone in the Bronx? I'm hoping to find a local place. I just love the styles in your pictures. Gorgeous!

BLUELOCS
05-24-2010, 02:30 PM
The lady from Virginia and I started talking about hair and she asked me what stylist I was waiting for. I told her that same braider did my cornrows the second time I was there and I told her how much I really liked the first person. Then she started to tell me her experience about the "bad" braider.

Ok I was just curious. I am just shocked at how the owner treated you and I hope you find somewhere local that you can get what you want without all of the drama.(:-)

ilovelife
05-24-2010, 06:38 PM
Ok I was just curious. I am just shocked at how the owner treated you and I hope you find somewhere local that you can get what you want without all of the drama.(:-)

Thank you. I am so annoyed because I was planning on wearing braids for most of the summer and now I have to go find another place. Breaks up the schedule of hairstyles I had. I've been wearing a cap since Saturday.

GenuinelyGiGi
05-24-2010, 07:48 PM
u did really well...ur patience was phenomenal...i don't kno if i could have held my tongue so well.

justchecking
06-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Finding a good, professional Black salon is not easy, and why would that woman want to make it worse for someone by acting like that? Unbelievable!

Good luck in finding a better salon that treats its clients with respect.

KellyVonn
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
You weren't wrong sis, she was! Some people just don't know how to talk to people, you know? Smh.... hope you find someone that will do what you ask. Good luck sis. : )