PDA

View Full Version : Christian hip-hop...

tjolims
04-23-2003, 06:06 PM
...do you think such a thing can exist?

And if so, what are some of your favorite artists?

Mine are:
G.R.I.T.S.
KJ-52
John Reuben
The Cross Movement
Red Cloud(who is corny as all get out, but hey...)
Prime Minister

and KRS-One's Christian album was off the hook!

CEE26
04-23-2003, 06:57 PM
yeah, but i won't buy it

CallaV
04-23-2003, 07:25 PM
yeah, but i won't buy it

ITA.

As long as the word gets out I think it’s great. Gospel hip-hop may appeal to some younger people more than other forms of gospel music. As for me personally I don’t like gospel rap or gospel hip-hop. I'm very fussy when it comes to about gospel music.

arlyndenee
04-30-2003, 02:37 PM
...do you think such a thing can exist?

And if so, what are some of your favorite artists?

Mine are:
G.R.I.T.S.
KJ-52
John Reuben
The Cross Movement
Red Cloud(who is corny as all get out, but hey...)
Prime Minister

and KRS-One's Christian album was off the hook!

Wassup tjolims!?
My favorites are:

King Cyz (cop dat!)
The Process
The Rock Soul Compilation
T.R.U.T.H.
I'm feelin Cross Movement
And this aint really Gospel Hip Hop, but my favorite Gospel Go-Go group would be... the GIDEON BAND!!! Hands down! lol. STEADY Rotation in the CD player.

tjolims
04-30-2003, 07:59 PM
Hey arlyndenee, have you heard of acaza.com? It's an internet radio station that has a whole channel of just Christian hip-hop, 24-7.

arlyndenee
04-30-2003, 08:12 PM
tjo,
naa, i hadn't heard of that site but THANKS!!! Good lookin out on that one!!! :D :) :D :) :D

QueenAT
05-05-2003, 04:36 AM
[quote]...do you think such a thing can exist?

Yes, I think such a thing can exist, but I think that it should not exist. I know that people are just trying to reach out to others through the music, but that's the wrong method. My pastor just said today that "you don't take the devil's tools and try to defeat him with it". These people are trying to rescue people from the hand of Satan by using something that Satan himself invented. And I'm not just saying this out of hatred towards rap, I used to listen to it before I was saved. But anyway, looking at the origins of rap and the content of it, I don't think God would be too pleased if we took that and used it to "glorify" Him. For one thing, it is something of the world and Romans 12:2 instructs us to not be conformed to this world. And Ephesians 5:19 says Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. It takes more than putting Jesus's name in a song to make it spiritual. The songs we sing are to reach to our soul and draw us closer to God, that's what the verse meant by "spiritual songs". Most of the time, people are too caught up in the beat and words to really focus on God, I think. Finally, the Psalmist David mentioned several times in Psalms that we are supposed to "sing unto the Lord". Now would we really go into God's presence rapping ? I had to stop listening to alot of Gospel music because the style is just getting too worldly. And I think that if this music would have been around in Jesus' time, He wouldn't have listened to it. And He's not listening to it now. It's not glorifying Him, but music. And as I said, about rap being worldly, and therefore being the wrong method to reach others with, I think you have to look at Jesus who is the ultimate Example. He didn't use wordly methods to bring people to Him, nor did Paul , Peter, or either of the disciples/apostles. I'm not saying that using music to witness is wrong, but we just have to make sure that it's the right type, and that it is glorifying God.

Medusa Negrita
05-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Creed

but that's not hip-hot. Heard todays Creed is like yesterdays U2, but U2 didn't really feel like a Christian band singing Christian or spiritual-like music.

I am not familiar with it. If it doesn't come on mainstream radio, I am not familiar. Don't do a lot of underground. If I here it's good, I'll check it out. I like regular gospel music I like Mississippi Mass Choir. I like some others, but not sure of the name. Ofcourse everyone knows Kurt Franklin.

triciegirl
05-06-2003, 06:20 AM
Here are my thoughts on Christian Hip Hop. I Love it. I love the idea of it. I believe that it is a creative platform to give praise to the Lord. It is definitely Gospel music. I would like to remind Christian Hip Hop Critics that gospel music has always either followed, or led trends in popular music. Slaves, who were a forced illiterate population, combined the traditions from Africa, of oral storytelling through music with Christianity; and created there own music style, Gospel music.

If you look at the history of Gospel music the songs between 1700S and1860s were sang acappella or with a slow piano these would fit the category of the Old Negro Spiritual. Between 1860s to 1920s a shift occurred in Gospel music we started to incorporate elements of ragtime into our music by primarily Pentecostal artist. Now this was a very controversial move. Some church leaders frowned on this gospel music as Devil Music.
The Pentecostal, a rogue sect of Methodist welcomed guitar, cymbal, and occasionally even harmonica, tambourines, pianos, organs, banjos, guitars, other stringed instruments, and some brass into their services. These same instruments are used in most African American Protestant churches today. Jazz from New Orleans, and the Delta blues, all which were considered devil music, also influenced gospel music of this time period. Even the Father of Gospel, Thomas A. Dorsey was a vaudeville house pianist and he made some very suggestive songs with Ma Rainy and Bessie Smith. His experiences playing worldly music influenced his gospel compositions. He was also trained and Mentored gospel greats as Clara Ward and Mahalia Jackson.

I feel it is a matter of preference. Each generation has its own preference. My grandma likes singers like Shirley Caesar, James Cleveland, Dixie Hummingbirds, and Mahalia Jackson. She cant get with more contemporary artist like BeBe and CeCe Winnans that much. My mother has hard time seeing singers like Mary Mary or Kirk Franklin as real gospel music. Me I love all of it I appreciate all eras and forms of music.

All I am saying is lets not be so judgmental on what is Devil Music and what is n0t. If Christian Hip Hop artist are praising God when they rap that is all that should matter.

On a side note if you really want to be technical what is Hip Hop but rapping or a rap style. Preachers have been rapping for decades. They talk in rhythmic syncopated cadence that rhymes.

ThisIsKia
05-06-2003, 06:47 AM
[b]I like:
The Cross Movement
&
Lady Moses

soulJam
05-06-2003, 08:25 PM
I'd have to disagree with Rap being the "devils music" (I mght be more bias b/c i just came from a youth explosion this weekend where there was stepping,dancing, rapping and singing and it was VERY GOOD) but!!!
To use a quote from Al Green when he was pondering turning away from R&B to return to Gospel. It was his revelation that "God made all of this music" God gave him the idea and the method of presenting it, He couldn't turn away from it and till this day preaches and still does his music. (Source:VH1 black history music special)
You think Jesus wouldn't listen to Rap?... Jesus associated with "common folk".. Prostitutes,Thieves, the low-lifes... You can't save the saved... that's a waste of time..
Could be.. the devil is using our own tools against us.. Many of the earlier R&B artist had gospel roots and used some of those same elements in R&B, this is an age old argument. The difference is that the style of music is now Rap instead of Rock&Roll...

Joyfulocs
05-07-2003, 02:17 AM
I'd have to disagree with Rap being the "devils music"

ITA. Rap didn't begin with the artists who perform it today, nor did it start with Afrika Bambatta or the Sugar Hill Gang, who were boy scouts by today's standards. I'm more inclined to believe it began on the chain gang, but I don't have solid info to back that up SO DON'T QUOTE ME. ;)

Personally, I love spirituals and hymns. Of course, what I would call traditional today -- Mahalia, T.Dorsey, etc. -- was considered contemporary when it was first heard.

Anyway, I think Christian Rap or Hip Hop is fine on the radio but I would rather not hear it on Sunday Morning. People say that Christian Hip-Hop is a good pull for young people and that may be true. But once you have hooked them with the music, what else are you going to do to keep them there? What's the next hook?

LaKinkyFemme
05-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by QueenAT@May 5 2003, 12:36 AM

Yes, I think such a thing can exist, but I think that it should not exist. I know that people are just trying to reach out to others through the music, but that's the wrong method. My pastor just said today that "you don't take the devil's tools and try to defeat him with it". These people are trying to rescue people from the hand of Satan by using something that Satan himself invented. And I'm not just saying this out of hatred towards rap, I used to listen to it before I was saved. But anyway, looking at the origins of rap and the content of it, I don't think God would be too pleased if we took that and used it to "glorify" Him. For one thing, it is something of the world and Romans 12:2 instructs us to not be conformed to this world. And Ephesians 5:19 says Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord. It takes more than putting Jesus's name in a song to make it spiritual. The songs we sing are to reach to our soul and draw us closer to God, that's what the verse meant by "spiritual songs". Most of the time, people are too caught up in the beat and words to really focus on God, I think. Finally, the Psalmist David mentioned several times in Psalms that we are supposed to "sing unto the Lord". Now would we really go into God's presence rapping ? I had to stop listening to alot of Gospel music because the style is just getting too worldly. And I think that if this music would have been around in Jesus' time, He wouldn't have listened to it. And He's not listening to it now. It's not glorifying Him, but music. And as I said, about rap being worldly, and therefore being the wrong method to reach others with, I think you have to look at Jesus who is the ultimate Example. He didn't use wordly methods to bring people to Him, nor did Paul , Peter, or either of the disciples/apostles. I'm not saying that using music to witness is wrong, but we just have to make sure that it's the right type, and that it is glorifying God.
I've heard Christian Hip Hop and I think it's cool. Some young people stay away from the church because it seems too boring or it seems to be something for old folks. Not everyone can listen to Family Radio (for those of you who don't know Family Radio, it is a 24/7 Christian station chock full of bible study and boring, old fogey, mostly white Christian music). I say, if Christian Hip Hop draws young folks, why not? Isn't that what is most important to you?

Also, how exactly did "Satan" create hip hop? Yes, a lot of hip hop has morphed into violent, misogynistic garbage, but not all of it has. In the early days, hip hop was very innocent. They just rapped about life issues, and who was better on a microphone. So aside from the lyrics, what is satanic about it? The beat? Can a beat be Satanic? Come on now!

Lakinkyfemme

godivabap
05-09-2003, 02:21 AM
I think that Christian Hip-Hop is a good thing, not only to reach "young people" but for people who like Hip-Hop in general. When Christ walked the earth, he did not have church in the traditional fashion of His time AT ALL! They called that blasphemous as well, and all He was doing was preaching the Good News! So, if God is the basis, the spirit and the intention for it, I agree with Christian rap, opera, poetry, country and anything else if it is really helping you to grow spiritually and bringing you closer to God. The reason the devil is so powerful is because we allow him to be. Too often Christians act like God can't be a part of everyday life, like it should not be enjoyable to be in the Lord. Joy, pleasure and happiness all come from the Creator, not Satan. That is where so many people get turned off. People can show and do good works in a variety of ways.

chocolategurl17
05-09-2003, 02:41 AM
I really like:
Cross Movement
GRITS
Gospel Gangstaz(REALLY LIKE) The words are soo true.

starchild
05-09-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by QueenAT@May 5 2003, 04:36 AM

yes,!!! i agree! I mean, i love gospel music but some artists are biting off of R&B tooo much now, it turns me off. I want people to know they are hearing spirtual music rather than the beat. I believe in praise God with instruments and dance cause David did. But too much world turns me off, but each to it's own, Jesus can to save the sinner not the saved so, do what is good according to Yahweh.

starchild
05-09-2003, 02:05 PM
double post

QueenAT
05-14-2003, 02:01 AM
Thank you for agreeing with me, Starchild.