PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Combs

NappyCurls
05-30-2004, 11:09 PM
I have read in a natural hair book that wooden and bone combs are supposed to better than plastic combs. They are said to be gentler on extremely curly and/or coarse hair. Have any of you heard of this or is currently using a wooden or bone comb? If so, have you noticed any difference?

curliefro
05-30-2004, 11:35 PM
Intuitively, it seems to me that the plastic would be better. The teeth of the plastic combs would be smoother and not be as likely to snag on the hair. The wooden combs may have jagged edges not able to be seen by the naked eye which may rip the hair. Ideally the best comb are the fingers, but to fully detangle 1-2x/month, I use a widely spaced teethed plastic comb. I don't know, just my opinion.
Does anyone who uses those materials have any opinions?

thunderstorm
05-31-2004, 12:02 AM
i think the premise behind wooden combs being better than plastic ones is that wooden combs absorb oil from your hair that with subsequent combing, will be redistributed throughout the hair, conditioning it.

i've tried a wooden comb from the body shop. it broke in two. there wasn't enough flexibility with my thick, thick hair. :doh

if you go to tenderheaded.com, they sell wooden combs. i've never tried them.

i would imagine that they would work better for straighter hair textures, or at least hair textures that don't require a lot of sectioning and detangling.

hth

Hamira
05-31-2004, 12:02 AM
Actually, wooden and bone combs are less damaging, w/ bone being the better of the two. Plastic combs have seams, that however microscopic tend to fray every now and then. Bone or wooden combs are seamless, and whittled completly smooth. Wooden combs don't have splinters or anything like that. Both these comds ussually remain seamless unless you break them, or gouge them hard w/ something. That being said, I use a large plastic comb because I just don't worry too much about stuff like that. My hair is doing great. :)

edited: spelling

Hamira
05-31-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by thunderstorm@May 31 2004, 12:02 AM
i've tried a wooden comb from the body shop. it broke in two. there wasn't enough flexibility with my thick, thick hair. :doh

The wooden combs from the Body Shop are crud. A friend of mine w/ curly hair tried using one and snap!! broke it. She finally ordered one online but still prefers her bone comb.