PDA

View Full Version : Shealoe butter

decnewbie
04-23-2003, 07:10 PM
Hey all,
I bought some shea aloe butter from FNWL; it looks like cold cream almost. Can you use it for a hair butter, or would it be better used for the skin??? I made one with shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter and the EO's with vitamin E.

What can I use this stuff for? Please help me, y'all.

Thanks and God bless.

blumoonbabe
04-24-2003, 06:20 AM
I have some too....it's just sitting in the jar... it has a weird consistency... it doesn't look like I expected it to, either.

candigirl
04-25-2003, 02:00 AM
I was thinking about buying some of this, but I decided to stick with regular shea butter, I'm guessing that it would be alright to use it in your hair, maybe as some sort of conditioner?

REGEE
04-25-2003, 11:41 PM
sounds like it'd be good to add to my home-made CDHHB mix :D
Maybe I'll get some. I've been needing to get some other things like emulsifying wax to make some hair milk :? Last time I ordered I ended up spending almost $100 so I've laid low for a while :)
regee

honeychild
04-27-2003, 07:29 PM
i am not a fan of FNWL's shea butter. it's refined too hard -- till its white. i don't trust it, and i don't like the texture it gives to mixtures. the strangeness of consistency of the sheaaloe mix you bought might be due to them using their weird alien/europeanized shea butter to mix it with. :wink:

on the other hand, i find aloe butter itself an intriguingly strange concept. i read through the site and catalog, and was never completely satisfied as to how the heck they made a 'butter' out of aloe anyway... a water-based plant. i had a fleeting notion that it involved coconut oil in some obscure and complicated way, but in all, i was left with the feeling that i just didn't know enough about soapmaking terms to understand what was going on. i bought the smallest size they offered out of curiosity. . . and found it slightly viscuous -- didn't seem to melt into my skin easily.

but please don't judge the interaction of these two ingredients by the FNWL version. i find that a medium-refined grade of shea butter, (beige/nutty, not yellow/stinky in the highly scientific honeychild scale) mixed with pure aloe vera gel is one of my favorite mixtures.

ideas for using what you have: almost any oil will work with honey as a pre-wash deep conditioner. i think the aloe's moisture properties would kick in nicely if mixed with honey and applied to wet hair.

i look forward to hearing what you do and how it turns out! :)

ChoqlitQT
04-28-2003, 02:58 PM
My homemade shea/aloe cream has a creamy consistency...I wouldn't say like cold cream, but definitely creamy. I used shea, coconut, and aloe plus some olive oil and almond oil. I just put it on my hair, but it works on my skin as well. I actually put a little too much oil in it, but it's still alright.

decnewbie
04-28-2003, 04:44 PM
I gotta tell you - I was also concerned how an aloe butter could be made out of an aloe vera plant. Go figure. :roll: Anyhoo, what I will probably do is use it with coconut oil and/or olive oil and mix a hair/body butter of some sort. I was very curious about what to do with it when I opened the jar... Thanks all.

permfreen2003
07-25-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by honeychild@Apr 27 2003, 02:29 PM
i am not a fan of FNWL's shea butter. it's refined too hard -- till its white. i don't trust it, and i don't like the texture it gives to mixtures. the strangeness of consistency of the sheaaloe mix you bought might be due to them using their weird alien/europeanized shea butter to mix it with. :wink:

on the other hand, i find aloe butter itself an intriguingly strange concept. i read through the site and catalog, and was never completely satisfied as to how the heck they made a 'butter' out of aloe anyway... a water-based plant. i had a fleeting notion that it involved coconut oil in some obscure and complicated way, but in all, i was left with the feeling that i just didn't know enough about soapmaking terms to understand what was going on. i bought the smallest size they offered out of curiosity. . . and found it slightly viscuous -- didn't seem to melt into my skin easily.

but please don't judge the interaction of these two ingredients by the FNWL version. i find that a medium-refined grade of shea butter, (beige/nutty, not yellow/stinky in the highly scientific honeychild scale) mixed with pure aloe vera gel is one of my favorite mixtures.

ideas for using what you have: almost any oil will work with honey as a pre-wash deep conditioner. i think the aloe's moisture properties would kick in nicely if mixed with honey and applied to wet hair.

i look forward to hearing what you do and how it turns out! :)
Hi honeychild!

I am going to try my hand at making a shea butter pomade and I noticed that you don't care for FNWL shea butter. Where do you get your shea butter from ? Can I purchase it online? You seem to have it all together :thumbsup: , so I value any advise you give.

Thanks, Syl

Blackstar
11-25-2005, 12:01 PM
bump

NappyLaedi
12-16-2005, 02:17 PM
Hey ladies! *waving* I have a question for y'all. I *think* made some shealoe last night and some interesting things happened.

Ok, I just wanted to try my hand at it. So I melted 1 Tbsp each of AVG and shea butter. I melted it in the microwave. I let it sit in the fridge for a few minutes. Then I took it out and whipped it with a fork. It looked like cold cream. Then I added some Lavender and Ylang Ylang EOs and continued to whip. All of a sudden, there was liquid in the bottom! I poured it out and kept mixing. So I have a nice whipped butter, though not like cold cream anymore. As soon as I touch it, it melts.

My question? Did the shea butter and AVG not mix properly? Is that the liquid that ended up in the bottom? Do I basically simply have whipped shea butter? What happened? Do I need emulsifying wax? Help!!!!