PDA

View Full Version : Is Nopoo Really Good For Locs?

alma2254
05-31-2004, 08:55 PM
Who no poos their locs?

If YES, then do you ever use clarifying shampoos?

And is it really safe to no poo without the fear of build-up?

:-?

FoxyLox
06-01-2004, 01:04 AM
I've been no pooing for about 4 months. I wash once a week with conditioner, but I rinse my hair in the shower everyday. I clarify once a month and haven't had build-up.

Every now and then, I wash with black soap as opposed to conditioner.

nottyfreedom
06-01-2004, 01:15 AM
i dont think its good for my hair. i steam my locks in the shower every morning-but i dont no poo. when i have no pooed it seemed to make my scalp super itchy. i usually wet my hair a little bit tho.

notty

silvi
06-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Good question. I don't have locs yet and I am a committed no pooer, 2 or 3 times a week. I only shampoo about once every 2 month. So I worry that when I do loc and have to start shampooing more often that my scalp will protest. I am still searching for a shampoo that I can use more often. Will my hair loc if I am conditioner washing several times a week?

frstdawn
06-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Silvi - you will definitely impede the locing process if you conditioner wash. I believe most folks shy away from conditioner all together until the locs stop unraveling...somewhere between month 6 and month 12....depending upon hair texture.

By the way, we would be glad to have you join us as a loc'd sista. :-)

D

livlifeluvGod
06-02-2004, 05:49 PM
this may sound real dumb...but what the heck is no poo

skchocolate
06-02-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by FoxyLox@May 31 2004, 07:04 PM
I've been no pooing for about 4 months. I wash once a week with conditioner, but I rinse my hair in the shower everyday. I clarify once a month and haven't had build-up.

Every now and then, I wash with black soap as opposed to conditioner.
im also confused? is noo poo just not washing with shampoo?

and if so what do you clarify with if not a clarifying shampoo?

MochaMom
06-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by livlifeluvGod@Jun 2 2004, 12:49 PM
this may sound real dumb...but what the heck is no poo
no question is a dumb question.

no poo is when many napptural folks wash/shampoo ('poo) with conditioner rather than 'poo itself.

the conditioner is known for softening and moisturizing the hair and that is what many are looking for when it comes to our natural hair. don't get me wrong, we want a clean scalp...but often times our scalps still get clean and the total head benefits from the no 'poo routine.

hth. :thumbsup

FoxyLox
06-03-2004, 06:27 PM
im also confused? is noo poo just not washing with shampoo?

How else do you think I should have worded it so that you wouldn't be confused?

and if so what do you clarify with if not a clarifying shampoo?

ACV (a clarifyer) is used once a month to insure that I don't get build-up. Conditioner is used weekly to clean the hair and retain moisture in it. A daily rinse is like "watering" the hair, as you would a plant.

All-Natural
06-13-2004, 10:03 PM
BUMP

alma2254
06-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Thanks everyone for your info!