PDA

View Full Version : *regretregretREGRET* I WANT MY NAPPS BACK!!!

Musubii
06-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi guys, i'm new here- i've visited the site before on numerous occasions, just kind of stalking around, taking it all in.

But I have a problem, and I figured there was no better place to get answers than here.

Well, the story goes as follows:

My hs graduation was about 2+1/2 weeks ago. My hair has been natural a little over a year, and I'm completely transitioned.
I usually don't do heat styling, but I decided to let a family member (whom I still love very much, so I won't reveal them) press my hair like they've been waiting to do for i don't even know how long now haha.

Well, it looked good for graduation, and would probably still be straight to this moment if it hadn't been for a certain little Wii game called Just Dance, and a sudden bought of humidity =\

Well I washed it, and I was so happy to feel my curls again until I got out of the shower and looked in the mirror.

The very back portion of my hair didn't curl pretty much at all. There was a little wave here and there, but otherwise, it was just straight! I left it alone, hoping... well, hoping it would go back to normal as it dried because it wouldn't be surprising to me in the least- my hair pulls some crazy stunts sometimes (:

Unfortunately, it didn't. It just dried into a wavy, stringy MESS D:

I tried washing it again the day after, and the same thing happened.

I'm guessing my hair is heat damaged. But is there any possible way at all to reverse this! I'm really upset about it! Basically, now, I'm working with an afro-mullet -_-*

I've read a lot of sites that said the damage is irreversable; then i've seen others that said it can be reversed with a few washings and protein treatments.

Help me please- I WANT MY NAPPS BACK!!!

MissQueenie
06-23-2010, 02:19 PM
There is no way to repair damage. It's gotta go. I'm so sorry.

Cutie McPretty
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome to NP }). Okay now for the feedback. This is probably the absolute LAST thing that you want to hear but your hair sounds heat damaged. Check out this forum on Heat Damage http://www.nappturality.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=53.

The good news is that you can get your natural hair back by commiting to transitioning again (:-).

Good luck and enjoy the Forum !!!

DeLavon
06-23-2010, 02:21 PM
Wow!! Welcome the the family.

I have no answers for you did you check out the threat about "blow drying and heat"?

-Lioness-
06-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Sorry about your heat damage. Some have done protein treatments and said it helped a bit, but it may not ever return to your exact texture.

KnottyAuthor
06-23-2010, 02:37 PM
hit the reset button. very few of us can straddle the fence b/t the two worlds. something usually gives and that would be the bonds in our hair. regrow, trim back.....

Ms-gg
06-23-2010, 05:15 PM
:( I'm so sorry ladybug.

kinkelady
06-23-2010, 05:58 PM
This happened to me the one and only time I had my hair pressed after 4 years of being natural! Fortunately for me, my hair did revert back after about 1 or 2 weeks of co-washing and deep conditioning. I'm glad I didn't "jump the gun" and get it cut off! On the other hand, one of my friends wasn't as lucky and she did have to transition again. I guess it all depends on the extent of your heat damage.

esperance
06-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Welcome Musubii. I did the same thing years ago, except I had around 5 years of natural growth. I went to a salon and had it flat ironed, with the one that you put in that horse oven thing-y, not the plug in ones. I had straight strands everywhere. Nothing to do but either cut them out (if it won't look too dramatic) or pick a style that can hide them until they grow completely out. Not sure what style that would be, though.

I'm so sorry...but I do know how you feel.

NeverGiveup
06-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Hugs to you Ladybug! You can try the protein treatment...but as others have said heat damage is usually permanent.

chocolynne
06-23-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm so sorry and know the feeling, although it's been 12 or 13 years since I last tried heat - and got burned. But I remember it so well. I think this is a lesson we've all had to learn for ourselves at one point. It's all part of the journey. Live and learn...

Phillyblunt
06-23-2010, 08:15 PM
This thread has possibly saved me from a huge mistake! I wanted a trim and went to a salon. The stylist told me that she would have to blow dry then straighten my hair with a hot comb in order to trim it. I told her never mind and high tailed it out of there.

Musubii
06-23-2010, 08:47 PM
This thread has possibly saved me from a huge mistake! I wanted a trim and went to a salon. The stylist told me that she would have to blow dry then straighten my hair with a hot comb in order to trim it. I told her never mind and high tailed it out of there.

Haha! Well at least some good did come out of a bad situation!

I've heard silk wrapping works well, but i've never tried it personally. Maybe you should google that.

It's less heat, and besides, if you do it yourself you could save quite a bit of money over time ^_^

08girl
06-23-2010, 11:45 PM
Try clarifying and doing a protein treatment before cutting your hair. If it doesn't revert try doing braid outs or twist outs to camouflage the 2 textures as it grows out then gradually trim. I would give it a month before determining if it's damaged. I've seen people's hair revert w/time and conditioning, others aren't so lucky.

meshia1384
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
I love Just Dance. I had a gathering and we battled/danced to the death with that game, lol.

bhop13
08-04-2010, 03:21 PM
The same thing happened to me. I just had to trim the damage away as my hair grew....it's just like transitioning.

Kitathena
08-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Aww I'm sorry...try the protein treatment, that may help.

meraki
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM
What about an update?

deecoily
08-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Sorry to hear that. But you're not alone. Lots of women make the mistake of permanently damaging their hair with heat, which is why we call it "heatlaxing".

Heat straightening appliances are hot enough to make the water inside the hairshaft boil. This causes steam bubbles inside the hair which in turn causes the cuticle of the hair to bubble out permanently, before it weakens and breaks off. Keratin is the hair's protein, which can be destroyed in the heat process and why people claim that protein treatments can help "repair" damage. There's no scientific proof that putting high protein products ON the hair actually changes its chemistry and repairs damage, but it may help to coat or something, making the hair smoother in appearance by filling in gaps, making it less likely to break off as easily. Kind of like spakfilla.

Please visit the Heat Archive forum and see what solutions you may find in there. Bottom line is, once the water inside is boiled and the hydrogen bonds are broken the hair cannot be repaired.

The good news is that healthy hair will grow back in its place.

~Dee~