PDA

View Full Version : I lost my nappy...please help!!

KiYoshi
07-07-2010, 04:33 AM
ok so i straightened my hair once and it left one side very straight so once i washed and tried to wear it out it didnt look very nice. i tried to twist it up and it just wouldnt go back. so i had to resort to wearing it straight since that one side did not co-operate anymore. so now that ive been flat ironing....I HAVE NO MORE NAPPY!!! im devastated and i want it back. i straightened my hair just looking for a new look and now im stuck. YEAH I REGRET IT!!! so ive been trying to not flat iron and stay conditioned. trying to see if my hair would resort back to the coils that i had before. im looking for suggestions....I MISS MY NAPPY!!! please help....:o

JaeFuma
07-07-2010, 04:39 AM
I think once you have heat damage, you have to start over. :(

JustAnotherNappyGirl
07-07-2010, 04:40 AM
Unfortunately it sounds like you have permanent heat damage - sometimes the only way to get your "nappy" back is to cut off the heat-straightened hair and start over. Sorry that happened.

Happy_Bunny
07-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Try an Aphogee protein treatment--that SOMETIMES helps the curls to come back. But as others have said, it usually requires cutting. I'm sorry this had to happen to you! :(

naturallytextured
07-07-2010, 05:50 AM
I'm sorry you have experienced heat damage. Sounds like you need to do another BC.

deecoily
07-07-2010, 05:54 AM
ok so i straightened my hair once and it left one side very straight so once i washed and tried to wear it out it didnt look very nice. i tried to twist it up and it just wouldnt go back. so i had to resort to wearing it straight since that one side did not co-operate anymore. so now that ive been flat ironing....I HAVE NO MORE NAPPY!!! im devastated and i want it back. i straightened my hair just looking for a new look and now im stuck. YEAH I REGRET IT!!! so ive been trying to not flat iron and stay conditioned. trying to see if my hair would resort back to the coils that i had before. im looking for suggestions....I MISS MY NAPPY!!! please help....:o

Oh girl... you have just discovered the hard way why Nappturality has such a hard stance against heat. :( By the sounds of it and I am sorry to say, your hair is burnlaxed otherwise known as permanently damaged.

All it takes is ONE TIME to permanently break the bonds in your hair and destroy the elasticity and texture altogether.

The bad news is that there is nothing you can do except to use a protein treatment to try and minimize severe breakage, which will ultimately be the outcome. This however will NOT restore any curl. The good news is that hair grows, and yours will eventually grow back.

If you continue to flat iron your hair, your whole head will be permanently damaged, and damaged as it grows in.

Make a choice now.

And ladies, THIS is why we NEVER advocate straightening of any kind on Nappturality. EVER. Because inevitably, any procedure which straightens the hair by breaking bonds damages your natural hair.

After a few more posts of support, ideas and help for the OP, this thread is pending to enter the HEAT ARCHIVE. All posts advocating moderate heat usage or recommending straight processes will be deleted.

Millahdoowop
07-07-2010, 06:38 AM
Girrrrl I have been there. You will have to cut it all off or transition the heat damage hair and cut off a little at a time. Leave that ish alone. Trust me. I messed up a lot of progress messing around with heat. smdh

meraki
07-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Wow. I'm sorry to hear that. :(

KiYoshi
07-07-2010, 01:44 PM
nooooo!!!!! Thats such bad news but now i know. I shall begin my transitioning. Thanks ladies...i love this website!!!

Roschelle
07-07-2010, 01:47 PM
nooooo!!!!! Thats such bad news but now i know. I shall begin my transitioning. Thanks ladies...i love this website!!!

I did this 3 months before my wedding..:(...and since then I've transitioned for the second time......

bettycakes
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh Im so sorry! :( Dont worry it will grow back!

Anoynted Vessel
07-07-2010, 04:25 PM
Hunny, I did that too. Let me tell you, the time of transistioning, tears, fears, love and honor of the process of going natural is NEVER worth a day of having straight hair. Get a weave, or a wig if you wanna rock the straight look but please don't do it at your hair's expense.

I am sorry that you had to find out the hard way but try to protein treatment and pray. Otherwise, you will have to start over.

Don't worry. Some people did it too and guess what? One key advatage that natural women have over relaxed women is that our hair GROWS BACK!!!!!!! (and with a vengeance!)

Peace and blessings!

Davinia

DeeLite
07-07-2010, 04:28 PM
You came to the right place. The transitioner's board can hold a wealth of information and support for you while you're on your way back to fully napptural again. Best of luck to you.

mymy
07-07-2010, 07:20 PM
I'm sorry you ended up with heat damage, you will need to cut it off and start over. If you don't feel comfortable doing a BC, you can cut off a little at a time until the damage is gone. Good luck going forward.

KiYoshi
07-07-2010, 11:28 PM
@roschelle-i have to say amen to that. even though i have damaged my hair at least its not from some chemical...my hair doesnt look bad. it stills curls but it just doesnt have the kink...the fullness that i was used to-but its ok. i can manage....ITS ALL A PART OF TRIAL AND ERROR;-)

KiYoshi
07-07-2010, 11:41 PM
@ANOYNTED VESSEL-i figured that i would resort back to wearing weaves. that was my 1st instinct but for some reason i decided otherwise. my hair had grown out to a decent length but again i was to a point were i didnt know what to do with it and i didnt trust anyone to shape it because i was scared they would get clipper happy(trying to avoid were im at now). i wanted to get my hair braided like in kinky twist but i was nervous about that too. LOL!!! SEEMS IVE PUSHED MYSELF DOWN THE ROAD I WAS TRYING TO AVOID!!! i figure good lesson though. i was skeptical about trial and error and now i see its my only option til i learn my hair...

AGAIN THANKS TO ALL THE LADIES FOR THE SUGGESTIONS!!! ;-)

Kathleen1
07-08-2010, 12:56 AM
hmmmm would now b a good time for me to stress the importance of WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGS!!!. they are so simple. here r the steps:

1: add cornrows to your hair
2: put on the lil mesh or stocking cap
3: SlAP THAT SUCKA ON
4: LOOK GOOD WITHOUT DAMAGING YOUR HAIR

THATS ALL IT TAKES. no long hours and strained arms that you get from holdin up the flat iron or pressing comb. you look good and that nite...you just take it off and enjoy your unharmed napps! i dun understand the stigma of wigs....maybe cuz ppl think that wigs for old ppl maybe? to me its like finding a solution that has been presented to you for years!! but no1 seems to wanna take it ...i guess we like taking risks and sacrificing our hair for stuff that can b bought in stores lol. but anyways. STOP USING THE IRONS!!!!! jus cuz white ppl wanna burn they already straight hair (WAT DA F-------------CK?!!!!:o:o) dun mean we gotta. that their problem they gotta deal wit in the future lmao :-)). but anyways girl sorry bout your hair. we all gotta learn sumhow so just use this as a lesson to ya. good luck on your second hair journey. hey! second times a charm..just look at me transitioning for the second time :D. you can do it.

KiYoshi
07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
:-))THANK YOU GIRL!!! im trying to decide if i want to bc or just transition. i usually never cut my hair in the winter but since im at this point i really dont see a reason to not do it...im leaning toward the transition since summer is about thru. soon as i find someone to braid my hair ill be on my journey....:)

deecoily
07-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Thank you to everyone in this thread for giving such encouragement to kiyoshi. She made a mistake with her hair that many of us have made and she needs support and help to get her napps back.

Let's consign this thread to the Heat Archive so others can learn from it.

http://www.nappturality.com/forum/images/misc/padlockNP.jpg