PDA

View Full Version : Caution: Do not buy...ever !

CeeCee23
07-08-2010, 02:54 AM
.. lol . ok maybe not EVER.... but. if you can dont buy from Korean owned beauty supply stores..
go to ur local health food store, or whole foods. they have all natural hair products there.. like. kiss my face, kinky curly, and giovanni, stuff like that.

i kno yall prob dont shop there n.e ways cuz we know... lol.. you just.. KNOW.
but 4 those tht dont. lets list them.. ill do #1

(clearing throat*)

#1. dont shop at korean owned beauty stores because they took over the world of black hair care, making it hard for black owned businesses to sprout. i even herd that they BOOTLEG some black owned products and sell them in their stores..BOOO !!

Lady.Capri
07-08-2010, 03:49 AM
They always watch you b/c they think you're stealing :/

Tigeress
07-08-2010, 04:13 AM
Not all Korean owned beauty supply stores are bad. Sure they cater to relaxed and weaved clients but I have a hard time putting them all on blast....perhaps because my in-laws are Korean....They saw a way to make money and supplied demand, thats capitalism at its finest.

missgee
07-08-2010, 04:17 AM
I go to the Asian (how do we even know if they're all specifically Korean) owned beauty supply stores for barrettes and as we call them here, "ball-balls" for my daughter's hair. They are the only beauty supply stores where I can purchase a nice amount of hair accessories (per pack) for a small price, and they're the only place that has a huge selection. I actually even racked up from two Asian owned beauty supply stores in one day. They were only like five blocks away from one another on the same street.

Now the Dollar Tree gets a good selection every now and then when it comes to barrettes and ponytail holders, but that's only every now and then, and even then, many of the packs don't give half as much as what the Asian supply stores do (unless they're barrettes). Not too long ago, they had some ball ponytail holders from Goody Goody...but you know how the Dollar Tree goes. They can only offer what's given to them and it varies throughout the months.

I bought a 12 pack of ball ponytail holders for 1.00 at one of the Asian supply stores. I then went to the Wal-green's a block away and saw those same type of ponytail holders (same colors and size) that only had 4-6 a pack for $2.49. I have also seen some of the same barrettes (same style and brand) at the Korean store for a dollar, while at Wal-green's, again, it was $2.49 or more. So they're giving half the amount for a higher price.

And if there's no black owned beauty supply stores in the area, where are you supposed to turn, in order to get the same products for the same price as the Asian-owned stores? Honestly, I feel that if "our people" (black people) were really passionate and driven about having their own supply stores, they would have them, despite the odds. The thing is, we as a people have the power to do anything we want to do, but we choose to let that power slip away, then complain when someone else rushes to the opportunity. That goes for everything; whether they supposedly charge us more on wholesale than other races, or not.

They always watch you b/c they think you're stealing :/

I never got watched. However, at one of the stores, the owner remembers me from when I went to their first location as a child. I would go there on a regular basis after my mother would take me to salons, and other times just for fun. They even pierced my ears. So maybe they just automatically trust me.

SassyB
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
And if there's no black owned beauty supply stores in the area, where are you supposed to turn, in order to get the same products for the same price as the Asian-owned stores? Honestly, I feel that if "our people" (black people) were really passionate and driven about having their own supply stores, they would have them, despite the odds. The thing is, we as a people have the power to do anything we want to do, but we choose to let that power slip away, then complain when someone else rushes to the opportunity. That goes for everything; whether they supposedly charge us more on wholesale than other races, or not.

I agree. In my city there isn't much black-owned anything, much less hair supply stores. There's an Asian-owned store down the street from where I live, and when I want low-priced deep conditioners and so on I just go there. They also have more selection than grocery stores, Walmart, Target, etc. It just makes more sense to buy at Asian-owned hair stores, even if it makes me cringe a little to do so.

JaeFuma
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM

This.
It's a lot more complicated than that. That's like telling someone to not eat processed food...when that's the only thing around and they live without means to start a garden. They certainly can't starve, right?

I feel like I always hear this argument, but with the amount of hoopla, there's not an abundance of black owners trying to break into the bizz. Hell, all the black own places I know are online at the moment. XD

I feel bad, but the asians have their business set. What "we" want for our hair, the the low prices we're willing the pay. :(

FaithNPraise
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM

(:-) My aunt and uncle owned a BSS for a few years when I was in high school - it was my first job actually! Our prices were higher than the Asian stores because we weren't able to buy in as much bulk as they do to give the lower price points, but we still had a pretty consistent customer base who didn't mind paying the prices because they were supporting a Black business and we knew our stuff (yeah, I been a product junkie for a looooooong time).

soapinphilly
07-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Not all Korean owned beauty supply stores are bad. Sure they cater to relaxed and weaved clients but I have a hard time putting them all on blast....perhaps because my in-laws are Korean....They saw a way to make money and supplied demand, thats capitalism at its finest.

From what I understand it was done in a brutal, unethical way that has been detrimental to our community. So what you inlaws are Korean...thats like the many of us who have drug dealers for relatives...just cause you are related don't make it right.

I say BOYCOTT!

soapinphilly
07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
This.
It's a lot more complicated than that. That's like telling someone to not eat processed food...when that's the only thing around and they live without means to start a garden. They certainly can't starve, right?

I feel like I always hear this argument, but with the amount of hoopla, there's not an abundance of black owners trying to break into the bizz. Hell, all the black own places I know are online at the moment. XD

I feel bad, but the asians have their business set. What "we" want for our hair, the the low prices we're willing the pay. :(

We do not need the products sold in these stores.

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Some of them are pretty nice people but you know what? Those little korean *****es in my neighborhood ain't getting another dime from me. I'd rather pay five dollars in shipping for a three dollar item than go to those people and have one more insult thrown my way. They follow me around the store, when I ask questions they yell at you or insult you. I was once a little girl, maybe ten or eleven buying some scrunchies in the place that is still open near me. I gave the woman five dollars for two dollars worth of scrunchies and when I checked my pockets a minute later while still in the store my money was gone! I asked the woman behind the counter if she'd given me my change and she yelled at me 'What are you retarded?! I gave you your change!' and I was scared to say anything because I was never insulted by an adult so I just went home feeling dejected. My dignity is worth so much more than a shampoo so **** their business, **** their monopoly, **** them, and **** the horse they rode in on. (In my rant I mean the mean beauty suppliers, not all koreans)

Himmy
07-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I have never once had a problem from an owner in a Korean store. They've never been rude to me nor has one followed me around in the store. *shrugging shoulders* Most of them have been pretty nice to me and will even crack jokes (I usually don't understand them, LOL). I agree...it's a business, and they know how to make money. Most of them own dry cleaners and nail places, too. They know what businesses work here in the states. I am not totally clear if their practices are unethical, and even though I don't shop at those stores anymore, I wouldn't boycott them.

au napptural
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Some of them are pretty nice people but you know what? Those little korean *****es in my neighborhood ain't getting another dime from me.

Co-sign, but you have to make it Asian hair store owners and Hispanic grocery store owners for Miami. I attend church in Overtown (the Harlem of Miami) and there's a grocery store the church actually rents to a Hispanic family. They aren't overtly rude, but the contrast between the expensive security equipment and the Grade D meat says it all. They wouldn't dare try that mess in Miami Beach. And the same with the Asian hair place down the street. I've mostly gone to the black ones here, but if my mom needs hair barrettes or something on Sunday morning, we'll go there. Oh. My. God. Again it's not like their shouting slurs, but the hell if I'm going to spend money and be treated like a crook. And besides the incongruity of the whole thing bothers me. They're just trying to get over on blacks and I disapprove. Whatever we have or haven't done, they are wrong with the attitude and all. And for my black hair, I'm going to some black ppl. I'm with the other girl, I'd rather spend the extra on shipping because it supports a black owned business. In fact, when I finally settle down in one area, I'd like to support black owned businesses exclusively, mostly.

Lady.Capri
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
You know what, I've came across some that were very nice! And some that were very rude! I only go to certain ones. Although, I don't like that they have these stores and always asking what you're looking for, but don't know anything about our hair or what they have :/

Himmy
07-08-2010, 03:05 PM
You know what, I've came across some that were very nice! And some that were very rude! I only go to certain ones. Although, I don't like that they have these stores and always asking what you're looking for, but don't know anything about our hair or what they have :/

That is true. I think that is probably the only thing that really bothers me. They have NO CLUE what works for our hair. They sell what is popular and what brings the customers in. They couldn't care less if the stuff causes us alopecia or worst.

angel_sista
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
From what I understand it was done in a brutal, unethical way that has been detrimental to our community. So what you inlaws are Korean...thats like the many of us who have drug dealers for relatives...just cause you are related don't make it right.

I say BOYCOTT!

Even though I'm not the poster you were referring to, I find your comparison of her situation to someone being related to drug dealers extremely demeaning and offensive.
It basically gets a big WTF face from me :-|

Some of them are pretty nice people but you know what? Those little korean *****es in my neighborhood ain't getting another dime from me. I'd rather pay five dollars in shipping for a three dollar item than go to those people and have one more insult thrown my way. They follow me around the store, when I ask questions they yell at you or insult you. I was once a little girl, maybe ten or eleven buying some scrunchies in the place that is still open near me. I gave the woman five dollars for two dollars worth of scrunchies and when I checked my pockets a minute later while still in the store my money was gone! I asked the woman behind the counter if she'd given me my change and she yelled at me 'What are you retarded?! I gave you your change!' and I was scared to say anything because I was never insulted by an adult so I just went home feeling dejected. My dignity is worth so much more than a shampoo so **** their business, **** their monopoly, **** them, and **** the horse they rode in on. (In my rant I mean the mean beauty suppliers, not all koreans)

All your post that include your mini rants about shipping and handling are just CMTFU today!!! :-)):-))

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 03:17 PM
They have NO CLUE what works for our hair.

Well you know some of them do have black workers in the store who know what they are doing. The little crappy places in my neighborhood are nothing but I've gone to brooklyn and met very nice people who work for the koreans who know products. While permed I asked the woman behind the counter for a good protectant from heat and she called over a nice young man who showed me their best protectants and helped me pick one. The people behind the counter or koreans on the floor know nothing.

Himmy
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Well you know some of them do have black workers in the store who know what they are doing. The little crappy places in my neighborhood are nothing but I've gone to brooklyn and met very nice people who work for the koreans who know products. While permed I asked the woman behind the counter for a good protectant from heat and she called over a nice young man who showed me their best protectants and helped me pick one. The people behind the counter or koreans on the floor know nothing.

Sis, I thought that was what we were talking about? The Koreans who own the stores not the black foke they employ. The one shop I have gone to actually has a sista who works there as well. She is some what helpful, but again...the Koreans have no clue.

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 03:57 PM
All your post that include your mini rants about shipping and handling are just CMTFU today!!! :-)):-))

CMTFU? Cool Mountain ToFU? I've got a serious bone to pick with these people about s&h.

Sis, I thought that was what we were talking about? The Koreans who own the stores not the black foke they employ. The one shop I have gone to actually has a sista who works there as well. She is some what helpful, but again...the Koreans have no clue.

ITA with you I was just bringing up the fact that even though they know nothing and don't care enough to learn they do employ people who know enough about hair even if they don't know too much about hair that isn't relaxed.

Himmy
07-08-2010, 04:04 PM
CMTFU? Cool Mountain ToFU? I've got a serious bone to pick with these people about s&h.

ITA with you I was just bringing up the fact that even though they know nothing and don't care enough to learn they do employ people who know enough about hair even if they don't know too much about hair that isn't relaxed.

Oh. K. :) That's another thing that bothers me, too. The sistah they have working there is not only relaxed and weaved (which is fine with me if she's happy), but she is really of no help to us naturals. I think that is one reason I find myself not going to the store. It's just hard to get any quality info from them unless it pertains to relaxing my do and even then the information was suspect.

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't trust someone who is weaved and relaxed to tell me what to do with my hair. I'm not saying they have bad judgement but if they are screwing up their hair relaxing the top half, neglecting the bottom half, and weaving it up in the middle how the hell are they going to know what to do with my lil fro? I wish there was a hair store that catered exclusivley to naturals. There is a chance that Korean's wouldn't be able to have a monopoly on the industry if black owners were doing something they really had no idea about. They know relaxer sells and weave sells. They don't know nothin' about jojoba oil or vegetable glycerin. My journey wouldd have been a lot easier if I could walk into a store and have someone feel my hair and tell me exactly what I was doing incorrectly like, uh, not washing my hair *embarrassed*.

But in my area I don't think that type of place would be around too long. Everyone is weaved up and relaxed down so there would be very few customers.

CeeCee23
07-08-2010, 04:38 PM

i totally agree

missgee
07-08-2010, 04:41 PM
This.

I kind of have to disagree because a pack are Bello Panda barrettes are simply that; a pack of Bello Panda barrettes...whether it's sold by a black person or not. It's not organic as to processed. Changing the ethnicity of the owner is not enough to change the dynamics...not for me anyway.

What if the Asian store-owner is the type of person to donate money to charity and loves black people? And what if the black store owner secretly spent their money on coke? (Am I supposed to give them my money over an Asian supply store simply because they're black?) You never know. I'm not going to miss the opportunity of getting a great product for a great deal, simply because of ethnicity and stereotypes.

This is why I choose to buy according to the quality/price of the product and quality of customer service of the store, as opposed to the race of the owner. It's not like I'm throwing money in a sewer, you know? It's a fair exchange.

Too often, we're like "don't buy this, don't buy that" without even taking it upon ourselves to create an alternative that's equal to or better than the one we're avoiding. We don't like it when people stereotype black people or discriminate against our ventures, yet we're turning around and doing the same thing to others. We've been that route, and ended up in destination nowhere.

So I'm supposed to either pay twice as much, or not get the products I'm looking for at all?

I'm all about supporting black businesses, but that doesn't mean that I have to be exclusive to only black businesses. If you're for the "don't buy Korean" analogy, what about everything else that isn't black owned? There's plenty of companies that market televisions, computers, cell phones, etc. that black people (including many of us on this board) are giving their dollars to as well.

Now for the ones who had bad experiences with Asian stores, I wouldn't shop at the stores you felt uncomfortable either, no matter what the race, but all Asian beauty supply owners aren't like that.

CeeCee23
07-08-2010, 04:45 PM
good. points. but im boycotting the oriental beauty supply stores.. i cant do it...

for those points made leaning towards the Pro Asian.. im sayin like.... they would be mad if they saw all Black people runnin all the Chinese stores.. like really. they can take over our businesses, but never theirs...

and as far as black people trying.. trust me they are . they have made it hard for any buisnesses to get started . #1. asking if you are korean or black before they sell to you. #2. bootleging black owned products...

like_____ not on a racist tip or n.e thing

CeeCee23
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
What if the Asian store-owner is the type of person to donate money to charity and loves black people? And what if the black store owner secretly spent their money on coke? (Am I supposed to give them my money over an Asian supply store simply because they're black?) You never know. I'm not going to miss the opportunity of getting a great product for a great deal, simply because of ethnicity and stereotypes.

omg dont play with "what if's"..... WHAT IF the asin owners supported the kkk, used the money to but gasoline, liters and matches to BURN DOWN CHARITIES... ( see things can get crazy).. what if the black man was just tryin to support his family.... you never know true... but .. you just like turned things for the asian pplz favor...LOL.

i understand. yea cheaper prices... but just go 2 the health food store..

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Health food stores are always so expensive. The Whole Foods near me is in manhattan and everything there is three times the price of what it should be. I love having something trival I need like some hair pins hand delivered to me like I am a... well a Queenie.

Himmy
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
I wouldn't trust someone who is weaved and relaxed to tell me what to do with my hair. I'm not saying they have bad judgement but if they are screwing up their hair relaxing the top half, neglecting the bottom half, and weaving it up in the middle how the hell are they going to know what to do with my lil fro? I wish there was a hair store that catered exclusivley to naturals. There is a chance that Korean's wouldn't be able to have a monopoly on the industry if black owners were doing something they really had no idea about. They know relaxer sells and weave sells. They don't know nothin' about jojoba oil or vegetable glycerin. My journey wouldd have been a lot easier if I could walk into a store and have someone feel my hair and tell me exactly what I was doing incorrectly like, uh, not washing my hair *embarrassed*.

But in my area I don't think that type of place would be around too long. Everyone is weaved up and relaxed down so there would be very few customers.

Sis, I TOTALLY AGREE! In a sense it's really sad isn't it? If it wasn't for sites like NP, where would we go...who could we turn to?

And you're right...the sistah at the Korean store here in my area knows nothing about natural hair, not even locz and she doesn't hesitate to tell you she doesn't know (which I actually appreciate). However, my thought was, "Then why am I here?" I would stand in that store and feel lost. None of the stuff even appeared healthy for your hair, and those things that claimed to be all natural, I could make my darn self.

cocoacurly
07-08-2010, 05:43 PM
I personally dont have a problem with Asian owned BSS..or Arab or what have you, all I care about when i'm in there is getting the things i need/want for a good price (mainly accessories). And when you dont have money to spend and you're spending someone else's, who owns the store usually doesnt cross your mind or bother you.

Himmy
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I think sometimes the best bet is to find a trustworthy store online and pay the shipping fee. Even then you may come out spending less then if you went to your neighborhood health food store. I'm not going to lie...I love my area health food store, but I've found I can buy my oils cheaper online (which includes shipping). There are only a few things I am now forced to by at the health food store at this point.

JaeFuma
07-08-2010, 07:29 PM
We do not need the products sold in these stores.
"We" may not, but a hell of a lot of people seem to need them. :(

I kind of have to disagree because a pack are Bello Panda barrettes are simply that; a pack of Bello Panda barrettes...whether it's sold by a black person or not. It's not organic as to processed. Changing the ethnicity of the owner is not enough to change the dynamics...not for me anyway.

...Wha?
I was agreeing with you. Lol. I wasn't bringing that up to bring up quality of food, it was just the only thing I could think of at 3 in the morning. XD My bad?

Um...maybe...Yeah, I can't think of another metaphor. Lol.

missgee
07-08-2010, 07:37 PM
"We" may not, but a hell of a lot of people seem to need them. :(

...Wha?
I was agreeing with you. Lol. I wasn't bringing that up to bring up quality of food, it was just the only thing I could think of at 3 in the morning. XD My bad?

Um...maybe...Yeah, I can't think of another metaphor. Lol.

Sorry about that. :( It seems like I was more the one typing in 3 in the morning. Lol. :-))

The rest of it was just targeted to others.

missgee
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
omg dont play with "what if's"..... WHAT IF the asin owners supported the kkk, used the money to but gasoline, liters and matches to BURN DOWN CHARITIES... ( see things can get crazy).. what if the black man was just tryin to support his family.... you never know true... but .. you just like turned things for the asian pplz favor...LOL.

i understand. yea cheaper prices... but just go 2 the health food store..

Uhh...I was just using it as an example to make the point of how most of us don't know any of these people personally. After all, some of us are attacking them left and right. I was using it to prove a point...that it should all boil down to the quality/price of the product and customer service of the store.

The reason why I used Asians as the "good guys" in my example is because some of us are too busy focusing on ethnicity as opposed to their services. And I'm saying, what if some of the one's we're targeting are actually good people? You know?

JaeFuma
07-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Sorry about that. :( It seems like I was more the one typing in 3 in the morning. Lol. :-))

The rest of it was just targeted to others.

No worries. <3

MissQueenie
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
If they donate to charity, built a church for the community, swept the streets with their own hands, then tried to sell me something that can make all my hair fall out while shouting at me to "Hurry up and buy!" then they can go to hell. Thats another what if.

sunnysmile751
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
If you knew that your Asian beauty supply store was deliberately discriminating against Black suppliers and hair prodcut sellers would you still shop there? The whole Asian beauty supply industry has been shown to deliberately exclude Blacks from the business. That's not something I'm willing to support.

Princess Pamplemousse
07-09-2010, 12:27 AM
If you knew that your Asian beauty supply store was deliberately discriminating against Black suppliers and hair prodcut sellers would you still shop there? The whole Asian beauty supply industry has been shown to deliberately exclude Blacks from the business. That's not something I'm willing to support.

I'm with you sunnysmile, I just can't reason away the fact that potential black BSS owners are pushed and priced out of the industry by these monopolizing jokers. Simple as that.

angel_sista
07-09-2010, 04:42 AM

CMTFU - Cracking me the eff up :P

As far as I know, the Oyin Store is the only one I know of so far, but they're in New York, which is more than a little impractical for me.
I think impracticality is the problem - the reason naturals are on the web is because usually there isn't a large enough number of them in any area for a natural based shop to be profitable - that's why natural hair salons have such high prices, to ensure that it's sustainable.

CeeCee23
07-11-2010, 11:45 PM

i agree w u