PDA

View Full Version : How do/did you start your vegetable garden?

MsDev
07-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm ready to start a small veggie garden and wanted to know the best way to start...should I do pots or dig up an area?...If I can get my son to eat some veggies then it will be for 3 people..but most likely just me since my dh works out of town during the week.

I know I can search the web but wanted to know how everyone started their garden. Plus how did you know what would grow good in your area?

OHR
07-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm ready to start a small veggie garden and wanted to know the best way to start...should I do pots or dig up an area?...If I can get my son to eat some veggies then it will be for 3 people..but most likely just me since my dh works out of town during the week.
I know I can search the web but wanted to know how everyone started their garden. Plus how did you know what would grow good in your area?
YAY! You can start a garden in pots [ask Chocolatte!]. Check out her pics in the other garden thread, it will give you so much encouragement. Bellagirl and I also have pics.

Now, how to find out what grows well....if you purchase your seeds/transplants at a garden center, just ask an employee. They should know what's hardy in your zone:) as well as how much room you'll need. Where do you live??

MsDev
07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I have already been stalking the other thread :-))

I live in Oklahoma.

When starting in pots do I use small pots then transfer to bigger as the plant get bigger or just start with the bigger pots? I have so many questions..)8-|..I guess I could surf the net but its so much fun talking to someone who has the same interest. Thanks OHRhonda!!

OHR
07-17-2010, 07:29 PM
I have already been stalking the other thread :-))I live in Oklahoma.
When starting in pots do I use small pots then transfer to bigger as the plant get bigger or just start with the bigger pots? I have so many questions..)8-|..I guess I could surf the net but its so much fun talking to someone who has the same interest. Thanks OHRhonda!!
Hmmmm....depends on what you're growing. Some plants (i.e. beans, squash) needs lotsa room. Peppers, tomatoes, don't. OH! You also have to take into account if they get tall...those plants will need help growing upright...see my pic of the beanplant.
What are you wanting to grow??

MsDev
07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Hmmmm....depends on what you're growing. Some plants (i.e. beans, squash) needs lotsa room. Peppers, tomatoes, don't. OH! You also have to take into account if they get tall...those plants will need help growing upright...see my pic of the beanplant.
What are you wanting to grow??

LOL @ the bolded....is that why you have your name?...

I really want some tomatoes ( I love them!!), I want some corn, cucumbers, onions, green beans, cabbage or lettuce (maybe), probably a pumkin, bell peppers...I am gonna start small, maybe with 5 items then add as I see fit. I will look at the pics again...thanks so much!!!

MsDev
07-18-2010, 02:53 PM
Chocolatte where you at? )8-|

I sent my wonderful hubby to walmart to look for some seeds (I even gave a short list of what I wanted to my son so they wouldnt forget).......my dh came back seedless (pun) and "claimed" that the guy at walmart told him it was too late to plant veggies......what??!!...ok I have to take matters in my own hands....hmmmmm, where do ya'll buy seeds?

p.s. dont send a man to do a woman's job.:-|

bellagirl
07-18-2010, 03:25 PM

I sent my wonderful hubby to walmart to look for some seeds (I even gave a short list of what I wanted to my son so they wouldnt forget).......my dh came back seedless (pun) and "claimed" that the guy at walmart told him it was too late to plant veggies......what??!!...ok I have to take matters in my own hands....hmmmmm, where do ya'll buy seeds?

Try Lowes or Home Depot. If you have Farmers markets there try to get an actual plant vs.. seeds.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

OHR
07-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Ummm.....I'm afraid that DH and the dude @ WalMart might be right. Check out this--->
OK planting guide (http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1092/HLA-6004web.pdf)
What you can do right now is get the soil ready. Compost the area where you want to plant. Make sure you have the room needed to grow what you want.

bellagirl
07-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Ummm.....I'm afraid that DH and the dude @ WalMart might be right. Check out this--->
OK planting guide (http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1092/HLA-6004web.pdf)
What you can do right now is get the soil ready. Compost the area where you want to plant. Make sure you have the room needed to grow what you want.

That's a great guide!!! Aside from what the guide says, don't you think she might be able to get a cabbage plant to harvest by October? I know these can withstand a little frost, but not freezing temps. Collard greens can also. Not started with seeds of course... Just a thought.. :)

Don't forget herbs, some of these can survive indoors with the right temp and light.

MsDev
07-18-2010, 04:39 PM
OHRhonda I was looking at that same planting guide yesterday and forgot all about it...thanks..

these things can be planted April 10-30 or later
summer squash
okra
cucumber
pepper
pumpkin

I wanted some tomatoes but it says April 10-30
Sweet Potatoes are from May 1 - June 10 (approx 5 weeks ago)..hmmmmm

OMG...I lurve me some cabbage!!!!

I'm wondering if I plant them in pots will that make a difference in them growing or not. Bellagirl thanks alot, home depot is right down the street. I'll keep ya'll posted!!

OHR
07-18-2010, 05:02 PM
That's a great guide!!! Aside from what the guide says, don't you think she might be able to get a cabbage plant to harvest by October? I know these can withstand a little frost, but not freezing temps. Collard greens can also. Not started with seeds of course... Just a thought.. :)
Don't forget herbs, some of these can survive indoors with the right temp and light.

@ bellagirl
There might be a chance. I think they've got to be in soon. I'm gonna get some more collard transplants for a fall harvest. In OH, I can usually get collards up until mid Oct. My grandma told me that greens are sweeter when a bit of frost hits 'em ;) Re: herbs. I didn't even think of those!
@ MsD
So what do you think? Good luck with finding transplants, too. Sometimes they're hard to find.

Lockolatte
07-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Ok, sorry but I'm here now! I am just seeing this thread.

Yes, it is too late for some stuff but you could grow broccoli, collards, and cabbage.
I start in seed pots then transfer to big pots once the plants have the first true leaves. When you repot you will need to use large pots because the more the roots can expand, the better off your plant will be.

Lockolatte
07-18-2010, 07:55 PM
You want the frost to hit your collards to make them tender. Down here in NC, I think I have a long time to wait. I might go to Southern States and see what they have.

OHR
07-18-2010, 08:45 PM
You want the frost to hit your collards to make them tender.
(:-)that's what my grandma said.

bellagirl
07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
@ bellagirl
There might be a chance. I think they've got to be in soon. I'm gonna get some more collard transplants for a fall harvest. In OH, I can usually get collards up until mid Oct. My grandma told me that greens are sweeter when a bit of frost hits 'em ;) Re: herbs. I didn't even think of those!
@ MsD
So what do you think? Good luck with finding transplants, too. Sometimes they're hard to find.

Our grandma's know best. Mine says the same thing about collards....

MsDev
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
I found some seeds at Home Depot!!! I'm so excited...:D

I got some tomato, pepper, cucumber,and cabbage. I will start them in the jiffy pots then plant them in pots when they germinate...The pkg of cucumber and cabbage says you can plant from Apr til Jul....I sound like I know what I'm doing huh...:-))

I cant wait to post pics in the garden thread)8-|

Lockolatte
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Good job MsDev! I cannot wait to see your little seedlings!

OHR
07-20-2010, 01:44 AM
Yaaaay @ MsDev!

MsDev
07-20-2010, 05:07 PM
as of today 7/20/10 I have planted some seeds for

cabbage, large tomato, sm sweet tomato, cucumber and pepper. I went by this website http://www.weekendgardener.net/plant-propagation/vegetable-seeds-020702.htm

I have put them on the fridge and now I cant wait...are we there yet? :-))

bellagirl
07-21-2010, 03:40 AM
Alright now MsDev!!! Keep us updated and we love pics too. :-))

MsDev
07-25-2010, 01:06 PM
MY SEEDs HAVE GERMINATED!!!!! :huh: I cant believe its only been 5 days....WOW!!!

My hubby came home at 1:00 am on Saturday morning from working out of town and he saw my little garden on top of the fride and he reached up there to get one and I said...NO DONT TOUCH THAT!!!....he said "oh, I thought it was something to eat"..:-))....at that time there were NO sprouts (at least I didnt look for any).....well this morning (Sunday), I went in the kitchen and looked up on the fride and low and behold I have sprouts coming out everywhere. I took them down and most of them have sprouted, I have a few that didnt so I pu them back. I sat the ones that sprouted outside to get some sun....I will post pics when I get home from church, I need to get new batteries for my camera. I am so excited!!!:D

Lockolatte
07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Woot woot! Way to go MsDev! I'm looking forward to the pictures!

OHR
07-26-2010, 03:03 AM
cosign what Chocolatte said: http://serve.mysmiley.net/sign/sign0200.gif