PDA

View Full Version : Cool Length Retention Challenge!!!

Napia Mia
07-29-2010, 03:07 AM
If you donít have a long attention span for challenges or have never been in one before this may be the one for you.

How about joining me on the two month retain ALL YOUR LENGTH challenge! Itís simple. If you know how much you hair usually grows in a month, double it and thatís your length retention goal for this challenge.

You can focus on a specific area or try and keep track of your growth for your entire head.

Itís easy to participate. Simply do the following:

1) Just measure using whatever current milestone youíre comfortable with.
2) Take pictures and post them.
3) Tell us what youíre going to do to retain length in that area.
4) Tell us your start and end dates.
5) Come back in a month and tell us how you're doing.
6) Come back in two months and give us your final and hopefully successful update. Post pics.

That's it! So whose in? I'll be back with pics soon to help kick it off.

But for sure, my focus is my top. It's stubborn when it comes to retaining length. I'd be happy to add an inch to this area so that's my focus.

What about you?

Fronomenal
07-29-2010, 03:28 AM
I'm in. I'll come back with pics soon!

Napia Mia
07-29-2010, 03:50 AM
YAY Fronomenal! Thanks for joining and welcome aboard.

mymy
07-29-2010, 04:18 AM
I'm going to join for the front of my hair (middle of my forehead). I'll do a growth comparison with pictures instead of measuring inches. I'll probably post pictures this weekend.

ajargon
07-29-2010, 08:05 AM
sure, I'll join! Why not, I am on a personal retention challenge anyway.
As of July 2010
http://public.fotki.com/ajargon02/growth-tracker/growth-tracker-/the-aftermath.html

I think that I will just put it out there for the rest of the year till at least my birthday Dec. 02, 2010. I would like to retain 3 inches or more. I KNOW I usually get a boost of growth in the summer, but I couldn't ever figure out why. I think that it's b/c I wash my hair more often, so my scalp is cleaner, and since it's getting wet daily, my hair loves the moisture. Sooooo basically the summer routine is what got me great growth last year, and I am just continuing that. Once the lowest layer reaches bsl, then i will concentrate on the layers....plus I am on a NO TRIMMINIG till Jan 2010. Hopefully I will make that no trimming goal.

MissNic
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
im in.....i dont know how much my hair grows each month but if i can get nearer to APL after my trim cut in 2months i'll be happy.

im not sure how im going to achieve that and i'm currently reviewing my regimen and products. Perhaps bunning as a protective style. will post pics soon

JOh
07-29-2010, 12:03 PM
I've been doing my own challenge for a month now, but I don't think I have been very strict with myself. With ACTUAL rules and others taking part, I think I'm in with a better chance... so by the end of September, my 'fro will be much bigger!

I'm trying to grow my nape hairs (the hair at the back of my head) and my sides, as these parts are particularly dry :)

Napia Mia
07-29-2010, 05:58 PM
My hair grows about 1/2 per month so one inch of retention is what I'm going for.

Personally, I'm just gonna leave mine in braids for two more months beginning my challenge today, July 29.

I'm going to go by my top braid. I'd like it to touch my color bone. Right now, if I straighten it out, it come down to just under my jaw bone. A two month total rentention challenge should get it very close to my goal.

The plan is to leave my hair be except to washing. If I have to take that braid down I'll finger detangle only and braid it right back up.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd35/Nappyme/braids/Braided%20Buns/IMG_0248-1.jpg?t=1280422143
See that top braid? It’s giving me fits.
I’d like it to touch my collar bone.

Ms-gg
07-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm in, I am doing an all over growth challenge though. I'll be back with the specifics later though, I want to measure my hair in several areas and get a good description with pics to match so that everyone can follow very well....

Napia Mia
08-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Anybody else?

ursula10
08-02-2010, 12:23 AM
I'll join! I had some damaged ends and got a cut yesterday. My sides are shaved and the rest is about 3 1/2 inches.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/100_0675.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n147/uesula/100_0760.jpg

ursula10
08-02-2010, 12:27 AM
I plan to wash, deep condition and twist weekly. I will do henna treatments every 2 weeks. My goal is to drink (3) 20 oz. bottles of water daily, eat healthy, no fast food (which will be hard because I don't cook), and go to the gym/ workout at least 4 days per week.

charizma00
08-02-2010, 12:43 AM
OP I'm locked so I'm not sure I can join, It sound awesome though, but anyway I haven't been on Napptuarlity in awhile, Your hair has been on a SERIOUS grow from the last time I saw it, it is absolutely gorgeous and full!!!!!!!! Best wishes to all on the challenge.

twix36
08-02-2010, 04:45 AM
I think I want to try this. :)

I measured my hair yesterday for the first time and it seems to be 7 inches. I measured the front, back and top. My 2 month goal is have the front reach my chin and right now it touches my top lip. Not sure how many inches I need though, sorry.

I will come back later with pics and more info.

AuNappturale
08-02-2010, 04:53 AM
What a great challenge! Good luck to you all.

simone9_10
08-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I definitely want to go for it! How do you post pictures on here?

Napia Mia
08-03-2010, 03:19 AM
^^^Welcome aboard everybody. To those not joining, thanks for dropping in to offer support.

To Simone here are directions for posting

1) You'll need to warehouse your pics someplace like Photobucket.com or FOTKI.com.

2) Right click on your picture, select copy and come back and paste it into a posting form.

Easy as pie!

Ms-gg
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
1) Just measure using whatever current milestone youíre comfortable with.
The very front of my hair is measuring right around 3 inch of hair after all my impulsive "trimming."

Pic of my twists in the front:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/gg205/week1twists.jpg

3) Tell us what youíre going to do to retain length in that area.
Protective styles
moisturize a lot! For moisture right now I am using a water spritz of just plain filtered water and a few drops of honey quat to get my hair wet, then I add world of curls curl activator gel+aloe vera gel+ a few more drops of honeyquat and seal all that with coconut oil. Hair feels like butta baby!
Put down the scissors!
That's it!

4) Tell us your start and end dates.
Today, August 2-until

5) Come back in a month and tell us how you're doing.
6) Come back in two months and give us your final and hopefully successful update. Post pics.

simone9_10
08-05-2010, 04:16 AM
I really want my whole head to grow and grow but for now I'm just focusing on the front.
The front comes to the tip of my nose.
In order to retain length in that area I'm doing nothing but protective styling, as pictured below. I'm deep conditioning once a week, shampooing once a week, and co-washing whenever necessary. Oh and No trimming!
I started participating in this challenge on August 1st so that makes my end date October 1st.
I'd like to see my hair get to my chin. That would be nice, and I think its reasonable.

PICTURES REMOVED DUE TO BEING TOO BIG. PLEASE RESIZE THEM BEFORE POSTING AGAIN. Admin

Whitley Gilbert
08-07-2010, 05:51 AM
I really like that boxbraid updo NM.
Interesting challenge. I'm in. I'll be back with my stats in a few minutes.

--------

Ursula - your cut is sooo cool.

Msgg - I love that eye makeup and of course your twists too.

OMG, Simone. NM is gonna get you for them big pichas. lol That last style is cute though.

twix36
08-07-2010, 06:20 AM
My start date is Aug 1st

I plan to do protective styles (TST) at least 2-3 wks out of the month.

I'm going to keep my hair moisturized, paying extra attention to my ends.

Going to also try to drink more water. I'm really bad on the water drinking.

Promise my next post will have a pic. :D

Whitley Gilbert
08-07-2010, 06:22 AM
If you don’t have a long attention span for challenges HAHA. That seems to be an epidemic around here.

How about joining me on the two month retain ALL YOUR LENGTH challenge! It’s simple. If you know how much you hair usually grows in a month, double it and that’s your length retention goal for this challenge.I actually have no idea how much my hair grows monthly. I just know what the average for everyone is supposed, factor in my trims, and hope for some decent growth/retention. Therefore, I'd like to enter this challenge simply to learn how much growth I get in a month. Then I can really see if I'm actually retaining the optimal amount each year.

1) Just measure using whatever current milestone you’re comfortable with. I'm going to check three spots (my trouble areas)... the crown, the front hairline, and the kitchen. I'll be measuring in inches.

Please bear with me. I've seen people measure like this in their albums, but never knew how much hard work it is. Hopefully, I can get better pictures at the next check-in in September. But here goes...

Crown - 15 inches

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/being_human/napps/crownchallnp.jpg

Front - 15 inches

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/being_human/napps/npfrontchall.jpg

Kitchen - 12 inches

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/being_human/napps/npbackchal.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac15/being_human/napps/backchal.jpg

3) Tell us what you’re going to do to retain length in that area. I'm sticking to my regular routine: co-wash daily, bun, and do an occasional wash n' go. Deep condition every weekend. Castor oil on the ends.

4) Tell us your start and end dates.My start pictures are from today, so Aug 6, 2010 - Oct 6, 2010 will be my two month time frame.

peacelovenappiness
08-08-2010, 01:10 AM
Okay, so I'm in....This will be my first challenge so we'll see how it goes. I'm going to keep my hair in french braids, wash twice a week(Sat & Wed), and continue my 3L a day water intake. Kinda excited!!!!I will post length pics l8r this week.

twix36
08-12-2010, 12:34 AM
Here's my length check.

http://images19.fotki.com/v677/photos/8/1528628/8616959/PICT0469-th.jpg

Mz Bajan
08-12-2010, 01:30 AM
im in, my hair is about 5in all around and 6in in the middle.... (i have nooo clue how much my hair grows a month)
my hair is in one(pony tail) right now with 14 big braids, i'll keep it like that till next week then i'll switch to tst's and keep those in for the reminder only taking them out if i have to detangle...

~co-wash + steam weekly
~DC bi-weekly

start date today =] 8/11/10
end date 10/11/10 <-4days b4 my 21st bday =]

lemonswithsalt
08-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I did my cornrows yesterday and plan to wear it for a week so I won't start this until the following week. But I definitely want to join. It seems like after my hair hit about 5-6 inches it stopped growing/started breaking off. I am not the poster woman for healthy hair practices nor hair commitments so this seems like a reasonable challenge. For a couple of months, try to retain length. My hair seemed to grow about 1/3 an inch per month but it's been 24 months now, and I have ~6 inches so that's actually 1/4 of an inch. Thus, I want to retain 0.5 inches (1.27 cm) in October. BBS to post the information. I'm excited. :-D

missCONGENIALity
08-17-2010, 03:55 AM
My hair is pretty much 7-8 inches all over. I just hennaed my hair this weekend and put twist in. My hair feels really great right now.

Napia Mia
08-21-2010, 03:05 PM
OP I'm locked so I'm not sure I can join, It sound awesome though, but anyway I haven't been on Napptuarlity in awhile, Your hair has been on a SERIOUS grow from the last time I saw it, it is absolutely gorgeous and full!!!!!!!! Best wishes to all on the challenge.

Charisma thanks so much!

Ms-gg
08-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks Whit and your hair looks so healthy and well moisturized! Very pretty :)

Napia Mia
08-22-2010, 03:35 AM
^^^I always drool over Whit's hair...

curlyebliss
08-22-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm in if I can find that durn cord to the camera...

twix36
09-07-2010, 03:22 AM
I just realized it hasn't been quite a month since my last pic but here goes anyway:

http://images53.fotki.com/v53/photos/8/1528628/8616959/PICT0481-th.jpg

How's everyone else doing? I haven't been seeing any pics...

missCONGENIALity
09-08-2010, 02:05 AM
my hair is now between 7.5-8.5 inches.

AshleyMari
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
I'm sorry I'm just now seeing this, I'm new but

I know my hair grows the length of my index and my middle finger every two months. (A couple of centimeters over 1") I will be joining this challenge once I take my hair out of braids. Great challenge! I'll let you know the results :)

meshia1384
09-13-2010, 04:20 AM
I'm in...

* My hair is 5inches
* To retain length I will be doing protective styles, wearing wigs, etc. Also, drinking plenty of water
* Dates: September 13 - November 13

I don't post pictures online, sorry. :(

twix36
09-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Bumping...Am I the only still doing this challenge?

I just noticed the pics in both of my posts in this thread have disappeared. What is that about?:o

TheSuperCoya
09-24-2010, 12:52 PM
HAHA. That seems to be an epidemic around here.
I actually have no idea how much my hair grows monthly. I just know what the average for everyone is supposed, factor in my trims, and hope for some decent growth/retention. Therefore, I'd like to enter this challenge simply to learn how much growth I get in a month. Then I can really see if I'm actually retaining the optimal amount each year.
I'm going to check three spots (my trouble areas)... the crown, the front hairline, and the kitchen. I'll be measuring in inches.
Please bear with me. I've seen people measure like this in their albums, but never knew how much hard work it is. Hopefully, I can get better pictures at the next check-in in September. But here goes...

Crown - 15 inches

Front - 15 inches

Kitchen - 12 inches

Ok....I'm officially......

JEALOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

I'm in...LOL ...me and my teeny weeny afro...Unfortunately, I have completely NO idea how much my hair grows each month (as I've truly only been natural for 2 months!!! lol But this is a good enough challenge to help me figure this out. Right now, my hair is about 2 in all around (even the edges, which is good!)....I co-wash daily, apply a leave-in, moisturizer, and a sealant which is now a mixture of coconut oil and castor oil! :-) Will post pictures on Monday!

Napia Mia
09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Hey there everyone. I'm about three days from the end of my time period for this challenge. My hair is loose right now so this is the perfect time to do a check. I'll be back and post pics.

How is everyone else doing?

missCONGENIALity
09-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Well, I measured my hair today. It is between 8-9.5 inches. The shortest is in the front no surprise there.

Whitley Gilbert
09-30-2010, 03:50 PM
My two months will be up next week. I'll be back with pics then. Although, I don't know if there will be much to see/show.

@ TheSupercoya - You'll get there. :)
(http://nappturality.com/forum/member.php?u=114210)

Whitley Gilbert
10-07-2010, 03:35 AM
Booooo!!!! Where are the updates? :-|

Well, today is my final day and I tried taking some pics, but I struggled lol. They turned out very craptastic. I'll try to take some good ones tomorrow. Still, I learned that I am an average grower.

I got my 1" in the back. it's now 13". The front hairline is right at 16". The crown... I'm not sure. My measurements were coming in extra long and it can't be correct. Maybe I measured wrong last time or something because can't be right. I dunno. We'll see tomorrow.

twix36
10-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Here's my final length check:

http://images57.fotki.com/v66/photos/8/1528628/9048770/PICT0495-th.jpg

Front is almost 7 in (about a half cent. less than 7)
crown is 7.5 in
back 6.5 in.

I finished the challenge on Oct. 2nd.

I think my first measurements were off. Anyway, my front is almost at chin length, so I accomplished my goal!

ajargon
10-21-2010, 02:39 AM
BUMPITY BUMP BUMP.... I will be posting updated pics at somepoint this weekend :)

meshia1384
11-17-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm in...

* My hair is 5inches
* To retain length I will be doing protective styles, wearing wigs, etc. Also, drinking plenty of water
* Dates: September 13 - November 13

I don't post pictures online, sorry. :(

UPDATE***

* My hair is 6.5 inches
* I wore my protectives styles majority of the time. I semi-changed my eating habits and started working out.
* I'm excited. :)

Napia Mia
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Here's my final length check:

http://images57.fotki.com/v66/photos/8/1528628/9048770/PICT0495-th.jpg

Front is almost 7 in (about a half cent. less than 7)
crown is 7.5 in
back 6.5 in.

I finished the challenge on Oct. 2nd.

I think my first measurements were off. Anyway, my front is almost at chin length, so I accomplished my goal!

Yay for you!

ajargon
11-20-2010, 03:20 PM
sure, I'll join! Why not, I am on a personal retention challenge anyway.
As of July 2010
http://public.fotki.com/ajargon02/growth-tracker/growth-tracker-/the-aftermath.html

I think that I will just put it out there for the rest of the year till at least my birthday Dec. 02, 2010. I would like to retain 3 inches or more. I KNOW I usually get a boost of growth in the summer, but I couldn't ever figure out why. I think that it's b/c I wash my hair more often, so my scalp is cleaner, and since it's getting wet daily, my hair loves the moisture. Sooooo basically the summer routine is what got me great growth last year, and I am just continuing that. Once the lowest layer reaches bsl, then i will concentrate on the layers....plus I am on a NO TRIMMINIG till Jan 2010. Hopefully I will make that no trimming goal.
......11/20/2010.............................................. ......
Ya'll I am so terrible with updating from challenges....my bad. Let's see if I can do this correctly :)

end of July 2010 beginning Nov. 2010
http://images34.fotki.com/v1075/photos/5/463565/7548109/100_1646-vi.jpghttp://images44.fotki.com/v1406/photos/5/463565/7548109/nov12010hair-vi.jpg

It's not where I'd like it to be for 4 months, but I'll take it. I am ITCHING to trim! I like to trim and it usually gets out of hand. I am still not trimming till Jan. 2011, so I am hoping I can make it! I might do a dusting or just a s&d but we'll see.

ajargon
11-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Sorry their so big ya'll. I'm trying to get them smaller, but I am not quite sure how. Anyone have any advice?

Mrs. Verde
11-27-2010, 08:28 PM
@ajargon - Love the bra on the outside of the shirt. I should take pics like that, so no back fat.

missCONGENIALity
11-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Well, my hair is finally back to the length it was before I cut it this summer. I had a nice growth spirt and for the life of me I can't remember what I did differently. Whatever it is I need to go back and find it.