PDA

View Full Version : Single Strand Knots?

brittrochelle
08-04-2010, 04:05 AM
I just realized today that I have a few... they don't bother me too much though. If I leave them alone could it damage my hair? I just think it would be too much work to search through my head to cut them out.

southerncurl
08-04-2010, 04:36 AM
i have some too...i just ignore them.

Ms-gg
08-04-2010, 06:09 AM
Four years into my hair journey and I still snip mine when I see them. I just don't care for them because they get caught in my comb and cause more hair to tangle around them.

Although I can't get rid of all of them, I try to keep my SSK count low.

Ms-gg
08-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Will it damage your hair? Hmmm...most people will say no, but like I said earlier, most of the time those knots end up getting other hair strands to be deviant with them....I don't know if this is the experience of anyone else, but it has been my own personal experience.

eesha
08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
I have the same question. My daughter (who's 3) is a 3c and she has TONS of single strand knots. I cut her hair back in December to even it out because it was growing in weird after her baby hairs fell out. I've only just been able to put it in pufftails and the like this summer and I've been wondering the same thing. I kinda let it go (ie. only combed/detangled on wash days if that) because she would never let me comb it and now they've practically taken over her head. I don't want to cut her hair again. If I just leave them and then cut them once her hair is longer will I be causing more problems?

chocolynne
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
I leave them alone unless one of them has caused a tangle. Then out it must go! Otherwise, I ignore them. They really don't bother me unless they're tangling.

reec100
08-04-2010, 01:19 PM
I was wondering about this as well!! Thanks I will leave them alone!

Discodumpling
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I leave them alone but keep them to a minimum with by trimming 2X per year & LOT's of DCing!

PoetryIsMyPassion
08-04-2010, 06:51 PM
I have gotten them in the past and what I see as the culprit is not detangling often enough and not wrapping my hair up at night. Once I started detangling before bed and wrapping my hair no more knots.

brittrochelle
08-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Thanks a lot ladies! I'm just 3 months into my completely natural journey so I wasn't sure if it was a major cause for concern. I definitely appreciate the advice