PDA

View Full Version : Trim at the Barber shop

Michele4905
08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey guys! Question for the group. I've been natural for about six years and just now thought of the idea of getting my hair shaped at the barber as opposed to getting a trim a salon. The main benefits would be to saving money and not having to stress your hair with the heat, assuming they will just pick our your 'fro. ...But am I wondering if the barber would be able to adequately identify the damaged ends.

Michele4905
08-09-2010, 06:17 PM
I'm bumping this!

badowado
08-09-2010, 07:34 PM
I think he would. As long as they are licensed professionals then I wouldn't be tooooo worried. But make it known that you want those dead ends cut off. Ask questions don't be ashamed

dkp
11-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Did you go through with the barbershop trim? I'm thinking about doing the same thing because I desperately need to even up my hair.

moriahsuperstar
11-20-2010, 03:29 PM
I've never had a barber do anything to my hair, but I'm just wondering...there have been several posts where ladies complain about looking/feeling unfeminine after their trip to the barber. Wouldn't that kind of make sense since the barbers are used to shaping men's hair? It would seem like a beautician at a beauty salon (even if it's a male beautician as opposed to a barber since he works with women's hair all day) should be able to give desired results from a feminine point of view. IDK

When a woman has a super short cut, I can usually tell the difference between if she went to a barber or a beautician based on the hair at her neckline--the barbers will usually have it kind of boxy or in a U shape using sharp precise lines while the beauticians will have it more gently tapered in a V shape.

gld2Bme
11-29-2010, 01:57 AM
I've gone through with a barbershop trim before, and the experience was way better than I had anticipated. :-> I just recommend washing your hair either the day before or the day of the visit.

NaturalSassE
11-29-2010, 02:07 AM
well my bc shape up was at the barber and went back 2 weeks later for a shape up and he cut to much off both times...so I still go every 2 weeks for my line and brow shaped but he touchs nothing else

a friend went for her bc and same thing I found a chic that trims me when needed and only trims yes she pics it but she knows to wet it first...with spray water...
I will never trim again at a barber with clippers yes it saves money but I spent the money once and the I trust the chic!!! gd luck

lin19lyn
11-29-2010, 02:12 AM
I've gotta agree with moriah...every darned time I went to the barber I ended up with a very masculine cut and I didn't like how they used the clippers. Back then I didn't have any other style ideas besides the twa so I ended up p.erm.ed again and let my hair grow. Duhhh...

sed26
11-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Did anyone get the BC done by a barber?

Do the salons trim your hair even?

canmechelle
11-29-2010, 02:37 AM
My sons barber did my BC. The cut was very feminine. He also shaped my fro a couple months later. He actually has a good amt of female clients. Dont sell the barbershop short. If you go in there and let them know you want a fem cut and to clean off the dead ends you should be able to find one to help you.
You can also ask if there is a 'master barber' at the shop.

Michele4905
11-29-2010, 02:46 AM
How long is your fro, canmechelle?

My hair is a little past my shoulders when stretched.

canmechelle
11-29-2010, 03:07 AM
Mine is just at my shoulders when stretched.

sed26
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
What does a feminine cut look like? May be a stupid question lol

coalblacklocs
11-29-2010, 07:45 PM
My sons barber did my BC. The cut was very feminine. He also shaped my fro a couple months later. He actually has a good amt of female clients. Dont sell the barbershop short. If you go in there and let them know you want a fem cut and to clean off the dead ends you should be able to find one to help you.
You can also ask if there is a 'master barber' at the shop.

yep. i agree with all of this.

coalblacklocs
11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
nm. ;) ******