PDA

View Full Version : Need a loc buddy! **1 month process**

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
Hi my beautiful people!! I would like to have a loc buddy if anyone is available. Not concered about area. Just want to share helpful information and recieve feedback!

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll be ya loc buddy.. I am a loc newbie just like you

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 09:25 PM
That sounds good to me mrmatthews! Where are you located? I just washed my hair last night and retwisted and it's growing so fast! I'm sooo happy!!

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
I am located in FL. How you start your locs? What method do you plan on using to maintain?

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 09:37 PM
I started my locks with comb twists. I plan on palm rolling. I palm rolled a few last night b/c my hair is different lengths. I'm long in the middle and back and shorter at the front. I retwisted with shea butter and cocunut oil. What do you do to maintain ur hair?

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I started with braids cause my hair was too soft for the twist to hold.. I plan on palm rolling when I get a little more length. I am agianst latching cause I read on here that it makes your hair brittle and easier to break off (not sure how). I use Taliah Waajid Lock it up to do my retwist. Not so sure bout shea butter cause its known to cause build up in locs.

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Well, i heard that shea butter does leave build up but I will see soon enough. I had to two strand twist a few at the top b/c my texture is wavy at the top and doesnt hold. I have like three different textures in my head.. so annoying sometimes.. I'm not really a fan of latching either..

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
Yeah I was in the same situation.. I started out with 360 waves and started growin my hair out for dreads and I tried single strand and 2 strand twist neither stayed. So I decided to do the braids and I can control how big they are gonna be... I am not one for huge thick locs. I have nothing against them thick locs its just that I don't think they would look right on me and that does not fit my personallity

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I feel you. You wouldnt think that hair could be so complicated when you're trying to lock. I feel the same way. I prefer the thinner locs. That's just my preference.. :-)

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 10:27 PM
So what do you wash your locs with? That seemed to be the problem when I was trying the twist. Washing too hard and came out. So now I have the braids and I use Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products cleanser instead of shampooing cause it penatrates thru the scalp and gets it nice and clean..

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, last night I actually washed with black soap b/c I was doing that before i decided to lock. Before that I was cleaning my scalp with seabreeze during the first two weeks. I was afraid they were going to come out during washing. I lightly scrubbed my hair and the twisted didnt come out. While the black soap was in I decided to add some conditioner and then I rinsed. Is the Taliah Waajid Black Earth Products cleanser a type of dry soap or liquid shampoo?

mrmatthews
08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Its a liquid. It has the same effect as Sea breaze would I guess. I also read about an Apple Cider Vinegar rinse...

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh okay. I did a ACV rinse once before but I hat the smell.

soft8srain
08-12-2010, 11:20 PM
*I did a ACV rinse once before but I hate the smell.

mrmatthews
08-13-2010, 04:51 PM
So it smells that bad? Try the Taliah Wajjid Cleanser.. It dosent smell bad and it makes your scalp feel real good

soft8srain
08-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Kool. I diluted it with water but to me the smell was still to strong. I will check the cleanser out. Did you purchase online?

soft8srain
08-13-2010, 06:04 PM
I just found it on http://www.naturalhair.org/haircareproducts.aspx. Is it the herbal cleanser (green) for 7 bucks?

mrmatthews
08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Naw I bought it at one of the local beauty stores. Yeah that is it.. Green bottle. It says use with the shampoo and conditioner. But I chose not to do that cause my locs are still prone to unravel a little. So when I want to wash them I just put some cleanser in my hand and rub it in. You will feel the tingle. Rinse out and spray some oil in when my hair is towel dried cause it holds the moisture better when you add oil while my hair is damp

mrmatthews
08-13-2010, 06:10 PM
The Protective Mist Bodyfier is real good also. I have to get some more cause I ran out.. But is some good stuff it also gives that tingle feeling...

soft8srain
08-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Okay. I will definitely have to try that out! Thanks for the info! I have to update my avatar pic soon with my baby locks! :-)