PDA

View Full Version : Did I make a mistake?

au naturel magnolia
08-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Ladies I really need your help. Its been two months since Ive been natural and I still feel like I still have alot to learn. First off I dont know any styles that would suit me and my hair length at this time and I feel its not growing. Then on top of that I have massive dry hair and would like some shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizers u guys would recommend. I just really need guidance before I make a huge mistake and go back to relaxers :(

blover
08-12-2010, 06:48 AM
My advice: find out if you hair needs moisture or protein. Do a wet assessment, this link will teach you how pgs. 4-5 (read the whole article) http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
Next, take some stands. I no longer use shampoos with sulfates, because they strip the hair. I do not use silicone, because it doesn't allow hair to breathe and forms a film that will dry your hair out. This film can only be removed by sulfates, which is damaging. No sulfates. No cones. Got it. I do not use shampoos at all, unless I need to clarify. You can find a sulfate free shampoo, but most likely you will cowash (wash with a cheap conditioner that doesn't have cones). I like suave tropical coconut and vo5 strawberry moisture milks line. I cowash my hair every night. I slather on loads of conditioner, let it set 3 min., massage scalp, and rinse out with warm water. I do a quick final rinse with cold water to seal the hair cuticle, which I believe helps to retain moisture. After I get out, I slather on a conditioner and I don't use anything that says leave in conditioner. I use a regular conditioner as my leave in, preferrably with natural product and No Cones. I'm heavy handed and run it through my hair, then I take extra virgin coconut oil about a half dollar size and rake it through from root to tip to seal in the moisture. I let my hair air dry or I met finger coil. I deep condition twice a week. I slather on my deep conditioner of choice, then evco (coconut oil) and cover with a baggy and a wrap for 2-4 hours. I don't do longer, because you can overmoisturize your hair and cause breakage. I use highly recommended, but affordable products. I use Vo5 or Suave for cowashing. I use Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose $10-11 for my deep condition. My oil of choice is extra virgin coconut oil $10. My normal leave in, after I cowash is organic (Trader Joe's Nourish Conditioner) and it's about $3. So, here's a quick break down

1. Do your homework. Look on various black hair care forums.
2. Figure out if you need moisture or protein and remember you can over do both. Some people buy two kinds of deep conditoners: a moisture conditioner (Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose) and a protein conditoner (Aubrey Organics GPB) and they use protein that week for their deep conditioners and moisture the next week for their deep conditoners. I don't do this.
3. Find a shampoo (Trader Joe's Nourish Spa shampoo or Giovanni's 50:50 Shampoo) or recipe for a rinse to clarify with (Without Sulfates/No more Sulfates EVER!), find a moisturizing conditioner as your leave in, by your cheapies to cowash with, get a deep conditioner and some shower caps, and find an oil to seal with. YOu can also use extra virgin olive oil.
4. No Cones! I don't care who says they love them, they are bad for you. You will need to find a list of cones, because they have different names for them. Here's the list I use http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213241
5. Wrap your hair every night, even though it's just a teenie weenie afro. Build good habits now!
6. Do your homework. Learn the terms/abbreviations about hair. Stalk people with your type of hair, only if their hair is healthy. If you aren't against hair typing, try to figure out where you are ranked 4a, 4b, etc. Don't be so quick to hit the creamy crack. Some days you'll wake up and you'll say this is okay and I look cute. Other days you'll hate what you see. You have to have patience. These women didn't make it to waist length in one night and neither will we. Send me a message if you need more help.

OHR
08-12-2010, 01:38 PM
Ladies I really need your help. Its been two months since Ive been natural and I still feel like I still have alot to learn. First off I dont know any styles that would suit me and my hair length at this time and I feel its not growing. Then on top of that I have massive dry hair and would like some shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizers u guys would recommend. I just really need guidance before I make a huge mistake and go back to relaxers :(
Morning au natural magnolia,
First off, step back and breathe! (:-) You've only been natural for 2 months, right? There is much to figure out...what your hair likes and dislikes. My guess is that you don't have dry hair...are you using the same products you used while relaxed?? That's probably the culprit.
Take some time reading through NP for tips, tricks and suggestions. In the Help Me With My Hair, check out the pinned threads that appear first. Hope this helps and congratulations!

lusciouscoil!
08-12-2010, 01:52 PM
girl while transitioning you will go through ups and downs. when i first started, i thought that my natural hair would look crazy, then i let it grow more. you have to stick with it. did u try rollersetting???? you can still do so much with your hair like the knots or 2 strain twists. now is the time to get to know your hair. you will love it. you just have to find your groove. try watching some youtube videos as well to have a demo on different styles

keigre
08-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Au Naturel Magnolia,
I really do not have advise but I am glad you posted this. I have been stalking blogs, website,fotki and you tube however just not sure I am doing this thing right. I haven't had the desire to move back to the creamy crack but I have certainly been frustrated. So Thanks again for posting this. I hope you get some good advice.

Thanks Blover for your advise.. I freed my hair on 07/19/10. I feel that I have so much to learn. I have been trying all these products. The link you gave provided alot of good material that made things indvidualized to one specific persons need. I am really digging it.

au naturel magnolia
08-13-2010, 01:02 AM
Thank you ladies for the advice and a special thank you to Blover or taking time to give me the advice and recommending the products. And you're right, just like Rome wasnt built in a day my hair is not gonna be at the length I want it to be overnight. I guess I expected a good length because I transitioned for a year.I definitely will take this regimine into consideration and not be so insecure, i just sometimes feel like its cute then one minute Im like was I doing the right thing? I was in the moment and I definitely continue on my napptural path. Thank you, Thank you, thank you :)

feliciasdesigns
08-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Greart advice above!

Being a natural is a lot of work initially...and I remember the first few months. However a year and 3 months (after my BC) my hair is healthty and long and I love ir...I am twisting and knoting and doing everything to it! i love it!!

Keep your body and your hair hydrated is my advice!