PDA

View Full Version : Locking teenage locs equal dryness?

Fuesha
08-18-2010, 04:53 PM
I did a search so if this has been discussed just point me there.

SO.....for the last few months, basically since this heatwave has hit the US, my locs have been very dry! Ive switched products and gone back and fourth, upped the DC and such, got my spritiz on but nothing is seeming to provide a long term solution passed really the point where my hair has dried.

I have noticed since ive been doing my own retightening for the past couple of days, ok weeks :-)) that my hair is well on its way to being completely loced. You know the point where it gets diffucult to latch your locs becuase the ends of your locs are thicker than at the roots cause the are loced now?

So im wondering if im having such a dryness issue simply because my hair is well finally loced and locing?

Anyone?

Natural Stylist
08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Try putting oil in your shampoos or hair washes. After you finish washing your hair, follow up with a vinegar oil mix. I do this and my hair never gets dry. NEVER! And I wash everyday.

karmlapl
08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
I live in SC and I've been using curl activator in the morning and a homemade mix of water, olive oil, coconut oil, and glycerin in the evening and my hair has been pretty moist.

Fuesha
08-18-2010, 07:20 PM
Try putting oil in your shampoos or hair washes. After you finish washing your hair, follow up with a vinegar oil mix. I do this and my hair never gets dry. NEVER! And I wash everyday.

Ive never tried adding oil to my shampoo and such so this i may try. Tks:D

a bit of background for yall
May dislikes the following:
hot oil treatments (it will tolerate coconut oil every now and then)but pretty much all oils and ive tried alot in its true natural unrefined,cold oressed for some state.
ACV rinses
Shea butter
EVOO

Thats why i asked this question. Im wondering if its because my hair is undergroing the "change" if its causing this issue.

As a side not i did try Kinky Curly Come Clean yesterday and my hair does seem to like that. Perhaps i may need a leave in condish? Though my loc are very settle im still apprehesive about these leave ins as they all provide or promote how wonderful they are for detangling. And im not willing to slow down my locing process.

Bigjokka
08-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Acv is apple cider vineger rite sorry I'm a locing newbie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toirichardson
08-19-2010, 01:34 AM
One word and 2 numbers.... INFUSIUM 23! The leave in conditioner is the truth! I Spritz my locs with out and a few drops of rosemary oil every day or every other day. My locs have never been this soft and moisturized.

bajansensation
08-19-2010, 01:35 AM
* chomps on popcorn*

I am watching this thread for answers too! My hair also hates oils generally speaking with the exception of coconut oil and I am also going to try some leave-in conditioner (fingers crossed). I spritz with water and glycerin, I condition, I oil and all of these only work for a short time.

Just09
08-19-2010, 11:53 PM
Co-signing with toirichardson...infusium 23 is really great

oldlady1909
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
One word and 2 numbers.... INFUSIUM 23! The leave in conditioner is the truth! I Spritz my locs with out and a few drops of rosemary oil every day or every other day. My locs have never been this soft and moisturized.

adding rosemary to the Infusium?:huh:

toirichardson
08-21-2010, 12:07 PM

adding rosemary to the Infusium?:huh:
Yes. I add rosemary oil to just about everything tho. Rosemary oil promotes and stimulates hair growth.

oldlady1909
08-21-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes. I add rosemary oil to just about everything tho. Rosemary oil promotes and stimulates hair growth.

thank you
may I ask what is the ratio?

msfullroller
08-22-2010, 02:06 AM
If you are under A/C all day that may be the cause of your dryness.

You may want to try a leave in, that's what my spritz basically is, though the days when I'm under A/C, I'll end up spritzing with water later that eve.

toirichardson
08-22-2010, 03:54 PM
thank you
may I ask what is the ratio?
Just a few drops. I Put about 10 drops and half a bottle of infusium in my squirt bottle.