PDA

View Full Version : Please help

mophead
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
This is long... Sorry. No matter what i put in my hair, i hear it... Does anybody know what I mean? I co wash once or 2x wk with Suave whatever I have on hand, Then use ORS DC once a wk, and daily I use a spray bottle of water and oil and maybe every other day use Fructis daily leave in conditioner. I have been doing this to find out what my hair likes.... and trying not to become a product junkie. I am doing this routine for a month. I am 1 1/2 naptural.

The next month I did everything and then included mayo and egg.. still hear my hair.

I just bought some giovanni protein treatment and hair recontructor just because it was on clearance at walmart for 5.00 and used each of these by themselves as co washes and sprayed hair with water and oil mix,,.... still hear my hair.

Can anybody tell me what the deal is. I am thinking I dont know what my hair needs or dont understand when my hair needs something or less of... I am just not sure. I have been reading posts and listening to how ppl say their hair is soft, dry and whatever,.... I cant figure out if this is me or not. I know I am not making sense,but I am frustrated.Dont worry, I am not going to the Crack..... Just need some guidence.:(

Kurliez
08-18-2010, 10:56 PM
It could be scrab hair (google it...nothing will moisturize it...NOTHING. Your healthy hair will be much more managable then the sickly scrab hair), hard water or soft water (you may need a water filter shower head...those nasty minerals can dry up your hair and scalp), too much protein use in your hair (too much can dry your hair), sulfates in your shampoo and conditioners (too drying and can strip natural oils), not using glycerine products for moisture (maybe using too much glycerine?), not enough omega 3's or water in diet?

I wish the best of luck to you.

mophead
08-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Thank you Kurliez.. I think it may be my water too. I will check into a filter. I just started including alittle glycerine in my water bottle. How often should I use protein, once a month? I will try using less or take it out completely and see if this works. I thought you get scab hair when you are transisitioning not when chemical free?

Kurliez
08-18-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm not sure about the protein since I never use it. You could give protein hair products up for a couple of weeks and see how your hair reacts. My hair HATES protein treatments, shampoos, leave ins, and conditioners with a great passion. When I was relaxed, my hair couldn't get enough of it.

A water filter was a life saver for me <3 Members on the board were saying that dawn liquid dish soap can be used to wash your hair if a water filter couldn't be found (I never tested out this method).

The scrab hair, some say it's a myth and others say it's real. My scalp was severely damaged by relaxers (bald patches and raw spots on my scalp). My hair for the first six months was like a brittle pad, gray, and lifeless. I think my scalp was still healing. When a year come and I trimmed my scrab ends off, my new growth was so soft and managable and with sheen. From my personal experience, scrab hair was real for me. But if you been natural for quite a while, it could be your products or the water's quality.

mophead
08-18-2010, 11:28 PM
I have been natural for 1 1/2 years. So maybe its the protein and also my water. What does dawn do since I dont use shampoo at all. Only conditioners? How do I know what products contain protein, other it stating it directly on the products? Thanks.

Kurliez
08-18-2010, 11:42 PM
About the dawn...I'm not sure. You're just going to have to use nappturality's search engine and read the threads/posts that mention dish soap as a shampoo/clarifier. Do you ever experience scalp buildup/flaky scalp with only using conditioner? Scalp buildup can lead to clogged pores, dry scalp, and dry hair. Do you use a clarifier? Some folks used baking soda or apple cider vinegar as shampoos. I used vinegar before. It left my scalp and hair clean...too clean. I wouldn't use it again. lol

mophead
08-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Yes I do ACV before co washing. Thanks again for your information.

meraki
08-18-2010, 11:53 PM
I don't know what you mean by "hearing" your hair. Is it brittle? Is it breaking? Is it not styling the way you want it to? What exactly is happening?

When did this start happening? If you're 1.5 years natural and you don't keep your hair short, your hair is probably getting longer - and older. That means you might have to change things up to keep it moisturized. What are you ends like? Do you need a trim?

Kurliez
08-18-2010, 11:56 PM
*now I'm just being spammy:P*

No prob. I hope some other wonderful ladies chime in to offer you some more advice.

To be blunt with you, after I installed my new shower head, my bad hair days went away over night. My hair was SUPER soft and my scalp wasn't itchy anymore. My hair had sheen. No product I had gave me that. I'm convinced that ground water was the issue (my drinking water is light brown, so that should have gave me a clue years ago). Hopefully, a 25 dollar shower will clear up your troubles and your regimen may not even need to be change one bit :)

mophead
08-19-2010, 12:15 AM
@Spin, When I touch my hair when its dry, I hear it, I dont know how to explain it. Its like a squishy feeling, if thats the correct way to explain it and maybe it suppose to feel this way. I am going to take into what Kurl say about my water and maybe too much protein as I realize that I am using ORS which contains protein every week and because I am also using mayo and egg monthly. Any suggestions of what you think is appreciated.

mophead
08-19-2010, 12:20 AM
@Spin, I normally wear twists 2/3 times a wk and twist out the rest of the week and then a fro for a few days and then back to twists. I trimmed my ends 8 wks ago. I wear a satin bonnett at night and keep my ends moisterized. I dont have split ends or I dont think so. But I am curious about one thing... when i wear twists, my hair isnt smooth....I have hair comming out of my twists.Maybe I have breakage? and I keep hearing about white bulbs at the end of hair... which I dont ever have or I have not even noticed this. I have so many issues... lol.

meraki
08-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Yeah, I still don't understand why "hearing" your hair is a problem. If it feels brittle, then then maybe those things will help.

It's normal for strands to stick out of twists. It's because your hair isn't all one length.

killersneakers
08-19-2010, 01:27 AM
I don't know what you mean by "hearing" your hair. Is it brittle? yes, i really do not know what mophead you are saying.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-19-2010, 01:39 AM
i have thick coarse hair and it's quite noisy. as long as it's well moisturized i wouldn't worry about it.

now if it starts giving you instructions, then be afraid. be very afraid

mophead
08-19-2010, 01:50 AM
@galaxy, I hear ya. If it gives me instructions... I need to see the head dr. lol. Maybe its normal or maybe I am paranoid. @ Spin, I thought that maybe I was having breakage is the reason for split hairs when in two strand twists. I just co washed and letting it air dry and i will do my spray before going to bed. Thank you everyone for your comments.

alicia2364
08-19-2010, 02:04 AM
My hair also hates protein. It makes my hair dry and brittle. This is what I use as a deep condtioner and I did have someone comments on how soft my hair is. 1 overripe banana, 1 avocado, 1/4 cup honey. Add all these ingredients in a blender then add enough coconut milk to get the consistency you like. I prefer it to be kinda thick. All these foods are known to add moisture without protein.Put it in you hair, put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for about 30 min. Keep it on as long as you like after that. Then rinse. I claify no more than once a month because you strip away your natural oils. I haven't tried the water filter but I will try to buy one this weekend. Also try wearing flat twist or cornrow so mentally you can get a break from hearing your hair if it is causing you stress. I also try to use homemade items when I can and only use commercial that I just can't duplicate like kinky curly or miss jesse buttercreme. The goal is to keep the chemicals down to a minimum. Hope this help

mophead
08-19-2010, 02:22 AM
@alicaia. I have wanted to try coconut milk and advocado and honey, I will try your mixture and see how it turns out. I havent figured out how to flat twists and i do not think my hair is long enough to cornrow.

lin19lyn
08-19-2010, 02:57 AM
Okay I am still new to this but what do you mean by "protein" products? Thank you for any information.

alicia2364
08-19-2010, 04:34 AM
The banana is also very good so try make sure you add it. Also it must go into the blender or you will be picking food out of your hair for about a week. If your hair is too short to braid have you though about added some gel like aloe vera to kind of hold it in place so it does not make noise? I had transitioned for about 4-5 months before my bc. I had to wait for about a month before I was able to go into box braids. I did that for about two months and then was able to go into flat twist. There are only some issues that are solved with time.

Kurliez
08-19-2010, 05:50 AM
Okay I am still new to this but what do you mean by "protein" products? Thank you for any information.

Read the ingredient labels of your conditioners, shampoos, pomades/butters, and leave ins. If any of the ingredients list protein in any form or amino acids (building blocks of protein), then there is protein in your products.

chavez91
08-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Hi my name is Denell and I've been perming my hair since i was nine years. I was ad short hair which i hated so much. Three years ago, i had started to get long hair but i didn't know how to take care of it. A year later, i started going bald in some areas of my hair, i didn't know what to do. So my mother suggested that i should my hair. Well, i did. I got a cute short hair style like Rihanna's but i want it to grow. I really don't know what to with my hair. My hair is really soft too. I don't know if i should keep perming or just go bald. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE????????