PDA

View Full Version : Can I change or will it EVER get easier ???

msserene
08-19-2010, 03:18 AM
I did the BC 5 days ago for the 3rd time. Although I have been natural on and off this is the very FIRST time I will be having my natural hair loose for longer than 1 week. In the past I have hid my hair under braids/twists extensions, and weaves. The last time I was natural I had my hair loose for only a couple of days before I got Sisterlocks.

So far this week washing, detangling, twisting at night, and styling in the morning has been VERY time consuming. I have never liked to do my hair even with the creamy crack.

My questions:

Can a person not like to do their hair AND have loose natural hair (as opposed to being locked)? Or can the fact that I do not like to do my hair change?

Also, will this get easier with longer hair? I saw a thread earlier where it's clear that the detangling part does not but what about the other areas such as twisting at night (this is where the bulk of my time has been spent)

GalaxyGirl2012
08-19-2010, 03:23 AM
i really truly and deeply loathe styling my hair.

i wear protective styles part of the other part it's chunky fros after puttting my hair in large braids the night before

Hadasah
08-19-2010, 03:30 AM
Do you wash your hair every day? I don't know if all the things that you're doing are necessary, especially if your picture reflects your current hair length. How many twists do you make? How do you style your hair in the morning?

msserene
08-19-2010, 03:41 AM
@GalaxyGirl2010 - Yes I am looking into a protective style that would suit me and last for a while
@Hadasah - I washed my hair on Friday and have been slightly wetting it in the morning. I have been doing about 20 - 30 twists nightly. In the morning I untwist and finger comb. It's not quite an official twist out but I am working on it.

The last time I had my hair natural for less than a week it was a nightmare. I didn't
twist at night and it was extremely matted. Also I had issues dealing with tangles when washing my hair. This time around I haven't had any problems detangling or dealing with matted hair but it's just the time.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-19-2010, 04:20 AM
wow 20-30 twists a day {o
why so many? why not 4-5 flat twists?

southerncurl
08-19-2010, 04:35 AM
why so many twist, why not just wear a scarf or do a few twist like galaxygirl mentioned?

at your length (judging by your pic) you should be able to wash and go..
do you cowash?
maybe you should try just using conditioner..and afterwards using it again as a leave in.
washing, detangling and twisting every night would drive me crazy.
I see why you are frustrated.

masoesa
08-19-2010, 04:39 AM
I did the BC 5 days ago for the 3rd time. Although I have been natural on and off this is the very FIRST time I will be having my natural hair loose for longer than 1 week. In the past I have hid my hair under braids/twists extensions, and weaves. The last time I was natural I had my hair loose for only a couple of days before I got Sisterlocks.

So far this week washing, detangling, twisting at night, and styling in the morning has been VERY time consuming. I have never liked to do my hair even with the creamy crack.

My questions:

Can a person not like to do their hair AND have loose natural hair (as opposed to being locked)? Or can the fact that I do not like to do my hair change?

Also, will this get easier with longer hair? I saw a thread earlier where it's clear that the detangling part does not but what about the other areas such as twisting at night (this is where the bulk of my time has been spent)

I hated doing my hair when I was relaxed and I still don't like doing my hair but I love a fro so occasionally I do wear my hair out.

Detangling gets easier when you get a routine down. For me it's adding silky she before going in the shower then combing and parting while in the shower.

msserene
08-20-2010, 03:27 AM
@GalaxyGirl2010 - Ahhh Flat twists that's a great idea!!!!

@SouthernCurl - I did a zillion twists mainly bc I was paranoid about waking up with matted hair and partly bc my hair is still short so I couldn't do them bigger but I will def try GalaxyGirl2010's suggestion. Also Today I went to Whole Food's and picked up KCCC so I am going to experiment with Wash N Go's

@masoesa I recently purchased your book and thank's to it I learned how to tackle detangling my hair. So far I haven't had an issue with that part of the hair maintenance routine this time around. Last time uhhh can we say hot mess!

I don't know ladies I'm approaching 1 wk and so far it's been a freeing but yet slightly challenging experience. Currently I am thinking about getting locs again down the road. But for the time being I would like to hold on and really get to LEARN my hair in it's loose state. Thanks for the advice.

masoesa
08-20-2010, 04:36 AM
@GalaxyGirl2010 - Ahhh Flat twists that's a great idea!!!!

@masoesa I recently purchased your book and thank's to it I learned how to tackle detangling my hair. So far I haven't had an issue with that part of the hair maintenance routine this time around. Last time uhhh can we say hot mess!

Thanks so much! :D:D:D:D

Brown.Beautiful
08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
The more you spend time with your hair, the better it will be. Rome wasn't bulit in a day. Michelle wasn't trying to give Barack as second glance at first glance. Things take time. I think you chopping ALL of your hair off means something, if nothing at all. Part of the reason I BCed was because I knew I wouldn't be temped (not that I was) to turn back to the crack. I think as you wait things out, you'll see that maybe it's time for you and you hair to get along.
I say don't alway have your hands in your hair! I try to do something that'll last a bit so that I can retain length, etc.

shell98
08-20-2010, 10:42 PM
OP this is my dilemma. I have been natural for a long time (about 12+ yrs) and for almost 8 of them, I have had locs because I don't like doing my hair. Now I have a twa (did my 3rd BC in Apr and have been going to the barber monthly since then) and I like it but have considered growing out my hair again. Only problem is that I have not had much patience with my hair when it was loose. I am not style challenged or anything it is just that many natural styles take so much time to do and time is something I don't have much of these days. I love wash n gos but they don't seem practically once my hair goes past 4 inches and in the winter its a no go. I also hate that awkward middle stage (too long to be short and too short to be long)

Kathleen1
08-20-2010, 11:25 PM
i suggest that during the awkward length stage n during the winter you get braid extensions or get sum sort of protective style that cud last a while....protects your hair from the cold n gives it a chance to grow out of that stage....n u get the benefit of changin ur style up a lil bit.

quishe
08-21-2010, 04:47 AM
all good things come to those who wait. be patient w/ your hair. you can do it.

PrityMoka
08-21-2010, 04:57 AM
I have always spent a great deal of time on my hair. Since i've been natural that has doubled. I enjoy it more now, but my hair is much more demanding. Being natural means that you need to closely monitor your moisture level. The hair dries out so much easier because of the curl. I used to wash and condition once a week, then flat iron wrap and be done for the week, excluding applying serums and oils. But now I co-wash every day, I twist every night. I don't know, dreds might be a bit less demanding. So you won't be able to escape hair care wearing your hair loose, but it will feel so good being true to yourself , and having a healthy head of hair. :-)

*legslikewhoa*
08-21-2010, 05:06 AM
when i had a twa, all i did was wash and goes. i think all the twisting is unnecessary at this point. why not do like 4-5 flat twists? or flat twist the front, and wear the back out curly? something to make the styles stretch. ♥

missmelli
08-21-2010, 05:08 AM
ive never been the type who enjoys spending hours on my hair either. once you figure out how to achieve different looks it will take you less time to style and once you get down a routine/regime. i stopped twisting my hair every night because sometimes im just too lazy so ill just cowash in the morning, put in a leave in conditioner, and then wear a puff if i dont feel like styling my hair

Denny
08-22-2010, 10:20 AM
I never liked doing my hair whether it was permed or natural so now I lock cos it suits my temprement. Don't feel bad about not being a hair person, hope you find a routine that suits you soon.

murakan
08-22-2010, 10:51 AM
OP I understand where you are coming from totally..Ive never had re.laxed hair but when my hair was long all I did was stick it back in a ponytail until accosted by annoyed friends and family..Since Ive had ultra short hair (2 yrs now) its been so liberating and even though Im sometimes tempted to grow my hair long again, the thought of hours cowashing, detangling, twisting, thising and thating fills me with dread..
are you wanting to have long(er) hair? If not why not just stick with short hair..you look gorgeous in your profile and at least you will be able to find out your hairs behaviour and your coping levels before growing it to any length..
I sometimes feel like a fraud cos even though Im 'napptural' I really hate my hair and I wonder if I'll ever really learn to deal with it and love it like some of the sisters on this board..:(

ikristen
08-22-2010, 11:50 AM
When I went natural for the first time 4 years ago, I wore my hair out, and went crazy with headbands lol. It was quick and easy. I got lots of compliments. I will do the same this time around.

msserene
08-23-2010, 05:30 AM
@Brown.Beautiful and quishe - You two are absolutely correct. Patience is key. A little over a week with loose hair and it HAS been getting better.

@shell98 and @murakan- From everyone's feedback it sounds as if it's a matter of having lots of patience and experimenting until our right groove is found.

@legslikewhoa- Those sound like great styling options as well

@Denny - That's exactly how I feel!

I did a lot of thinking and I know I definitely want to get my second set of Sisterlocks very soon. Until then I am going to appreciate my hair in it's loose state and find a routine that works for me.