PDA

View Full Version : Braid Challange! Nubian Twists???

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Ok! So, in the last six months my hair has grown tremendously! The first time I went natural I didn't experience this much growth in six months because of so many factors.

1. I had no clue how to take care of natural hair

2. Too much shampoo

3. Too much manipulation to my hair on a daily basis

This time around there is so much info about taking care of natural hair and many more men and women seeking to be natural so I have more "nappy friends" to bounce ideas off of!

At the start of summer I began having my hair braided into a dope Mohawk style, no hair added, and I would leave the braids in for about 2 weeks! That is when the light bulb went off! I saw a great deal of hair growth and now I'm going to challange myself!

For the remainder of the summer I will continue to braid my hair at two week intervals. In between braiding I will allow a few days for the hair to breath and will deep condition with homemade products such as avocado, honey, mayo, steam, shea butter and the list goes on! (and in those few days of "breathing" I can get my $$ right for the next set of braids... What? Times are hard...)

I'd like to braid challange for 8 weeks at a time that means 4 sets of braids!

For the fall and winter months I've hatched another challange which includes Nubian twits... Anyone know much about these twists? My goal for the Nubian Twists is to keep them in for a couple of months during the winter because of the dry hair and to prevent me from manipulating so much.

GalaxyGirl2012
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
congrats on your hair growth.

i think many of us have realized that giving out hair a break nd slowing down on manipulation is the way to retain length.

as for nubian twists arent they just twists with extensions? i think people also call then kinky twists

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
08-19-2010, 12:30 PM
@ GalaxyGirl2010 yes the Nubian Twists are kinda similar to Kinky Twts but not braided all the way down... The name of the extension hair is "Naffy"
I'm just curious as to know how will my hair fend while being braided with synthetic hair...

GalaxyGirl2012
08-19-2010, 02:39 PM
ok i did some research and looks like the main difference is in the type of hair used, not the technique. kinky twists hair has straight ends for some reason but nubian twists as curly ends

check out the nubian twist here
http://www.eonhair.com/Twist-hair/c1/index.html

synthetic hair works well with my hair because human tends to suck out moisture since it also needs to be moisturized.

for synth hair i always treat it before i put it anywhere near my head:
- 2 soaks in an acv/water solution to get rid of any nasty chemical
- 2 washes with a sulfate shampoo
- spraying it with a braid spray or my homemade spritz while it dries

after that ritual it's good to go and i dont have any issues with breakouts or dry hair

keish1
08-19-2010, 02:58 PM
@Galaxygirl2010-I'm gonna have to try that the next time I get kinky twists. I have never treated hair before adding it--sew in or braids--and have always had to work hard to combat itching.
@Goinnatty2ndgoround-I will join you in the challenge. I want to keep my hair protected during winter months too. I'm experimenting with kinky twists now to see if I will like them, how long they will last, and how much conditioning I will have to do to keep my hair healthy along the way. Almost two weeks in and I'm okay now that I've shamp/cond etc.