PDA

View Full Version : Help with dry scalp and baby stage

nukara85
08-19-2010, 10:47 PM
So the week before last I got my hair twisted and I love it. Its time to get it retwisted, but I've noticed for the past week my scalp has been itching really bad and today I noticed some dandruff. My scalp seems really dirty and I know if i wash it my hair will unravel. Is there something I can do about this besides washing my hair and starting all over again? TIA

kenyislockin
08-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Hi there! i know a lot of folks are going to chime in and tell you to wash your hair. since you have a scalp concern (dandruff,) i would advise you to wash your hair and scalp. you might experience some unraveling, but your main focus should be on having a healthy scalp and avoiding buildup. you could try to cleanse your scalp with witch hazel, sea breeze(using a towel or q-tips), etc.. or rinse your hair and scalp (no manipulation) and do an apple cider vinegar rinse. to keep the itchiness at bay, i use tea tree oil mixed with sweet almond oil, olive, and coconut oil for a hot oil treatment. when i first started, several months ago, i was using a stocking cap to wash my hair with. that reduced the unraveling, but at the same time, i don't think i was getting my scalp cleansed enough. also be mindful for the products that are being used to twist your locs with. i started out using JML, then switched to Black Earth Loc It Up, and both products caused buildup. i now twist my locs with aloe vera gel and i shampoo once a week and rinse daily. i hope this helps and you get great advice from the Vet Loc'ers here.

nukara85
08-20-2010, 01:04 AM
thanks I was mainly worried about the back and edges of my head unraveling because thats where my hair is the softest and it seems to already be unraveling in those areas anyways