PDA

View Full Version : WHAT YOU ARE MADE OF???? (Ethnicity)

Mustbnice1
08-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Ok my last thread was a bit unclear and I do apologize...However this seems to be an interesting thread... lets see how this works...and if you have locs or you are natural are you happy with your texture?

My mother is German and Italian my father is Black and Indian.. I know everyone has indian in them some way or another..lol.. I am not sure what tribe just yet i am looking into it though.. I do know that they were very tall... not a single adult on His side of the family is under 6 foot.. males and females... He was 7'2'' and my mother is 5'1.. WOW i know..lol

Bklyn78
08-20-2010, 02:55 AM
man I don't know. I am going to need that man that does genelogy to help me out. I don't know much about my family cause everyone has secrets. My mom has thalessmia (sp) a form of anemia that is usually found in mediterranean people. Its passed down to me as well. So knows. We do have a genelogy forum. This may get moved there or you can find people who may discuss it more there. Happy trails

chachadiva
08-20-2010, 03:09 AM
Ok my last thread was a bit unclear and I do apologize...However this seems to be an interesting thread... lets see how this works...and if you have locs or you are natural are you happy with your texture?

Are you drawing some conclusion between ethnicity and hair texture? On NP, we tend to believe that all textures are acceptable regardless of ethnicity and that people should be happy with whatever grows out of their scalp.

retesha
08-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Grandfather was Italian, Both Grandmothers Afro-American and paternal grandfather was Cherokee Indian (I know everyone got Indian in their blood but he was actually 100 % with a true tribal name Cristal Violet) :)

Mustbnice1
08-20-2010, 03:14 AM
Are you drawing some conclusion between ethnicity and hair texture? On NP, we tend to believe that all textures are acceptable regardless of ethnicity and that people should be happy with whatever grows out of their scalp.

Sorry sis. I didn't mean any harm...you are correct all textures are acceptable.. just wanted to put something out there..

sonance
08-20-2010, 03:14 AM
My mother is about 75% Native American (Cherokee) and my father is Native American, African and um....white. (we don't mention that too often) So.....what does that make me????

Kurliez
08-20-2010, 03:16 AM
I have absolutely no Indian in my family. I traced both my family trees and had a genetics test done on myself. Yes, there was some sneaking by a white male slave master on my mom's side (I was so FREAKIN' close to being 100% of African orgin...so freakin' close!!!!...URGH!!!!!), but my families and I are proud Black folks. On that African American Lives special on PBS, I think Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr. stated that on like 5% of Black Americans have any Native American ancestory.

About my hair texture. Yes, I'm happy with it <3

fRagrant.
08-20-2010, 03:18 AM
I would like to take a genealogy test one day.
I don't think every African American has Native American. I heard from somewhere that not many do.
I heard "We got Indian in us'' or something like that along those lines a lot from my family
so I thought it true so I claimed it but now I'm skeptical.

Take a genealogy test instead!
It'd be more interesting to actually know where your ancestors came from.

I get tired of hearing the "I got Indian in me, that's why I got 'good' hair''
Some with that mentality want to claim that to for the sake of hair texture.
It's silly and one of the reasons why some are so trapped in the good/bad hair myth.

But anyway, I would love to know what tribe my family came from down the line.
And yes, I LOVEYY my hair.

Kurliez
08-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Well I don't know if everyone has Indian in them or not.
I get tired of hearing the "I got indian in me, that's why I got 'good' hair''
It's like some want to claim that to for the sake of hair texture.
It's silly and one of the reasons why some are so trapped in the good/bad hair myth.

Same here. I think that's why this whole thread is rubbing me the wrong way. I know OP doesn't mean any harm though, but still OP, why throw in the hair texture question and assume that everyone has Native American ancestory?

Bklyn78
08-20-2010, 03:59 AM
I would like to take a genealogy test one day.
I don't think every African American has Native American. I heard from somewhere that not many do.
I heard "We got Indian in us'' or something like that along those lines a lot from my family
so I thought it true so I claimed it but now I'm skeptical.

Take a genealogy test instead!
It'd be more interesting to actually know where your ancestors came from.

I get tired of hearing the "I got Indian in me, that's why I got 'good' hair''
Some with that mentality want to claim that to for the sake of hair texture.

But anyway, I would love to know what tribe my family came from down the line.
And yes, I LOVEYY my hair.

its not indian hair its a white man or woman most of the time.

Mustbnice1
08-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Same here. I think that's why this whole thread is rubbing me the wrong way. I know OP doesn't mean any harm though, but still OP, why throw in the hair texture question and assume that everyone has Native American ancestory?

The Indian commet was meant sarcasitcally...Sorry...

murakan
08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
why is hair always attributed to white/indian..threads like this rub me the wrong way too..Ive seen mixed people with nappier hair than my living room carpet and African people with silkier hair than any Indian person so really..why is it important..
NONE of us are 100% anything but human (hopefully!)..so what is the big deal??

KnottyAuthor
08-20-2010, 11:12 AM
african
cherokee(of course/lol!/maternal great grands were white and indian)
caucasion-which plantation i know not but out of Georgia and S.Carolina plantations

NaturalKayla
08-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I'm Black and Blacker, with a little bit of rapist white.

No, I don't got no Indian in my family.

NaturalKayla
08-20-2010, 12:40 PM
its not indian hair its a white man or woman most of the time.

Basically. One of my homeboys said he had Indian in his family and to "prove" it, he showed me a picture of a lighter complected female with two long braids. She was really a mixed Black woman, but since she had "Pocahontas" braids, she was and still is Indian to him and his family.

Butterfly Rose
08-20-2010, 01:05 PM
black (both sides)

Native american (both sides)

White Irish (my mother side)

filipino (my father side)

And yes I am happy with my texture Nappy 4.A

curlyebliss
08-20-2010, 01:34 PM
African, Cherokee, Blackfoot, German Jewish, French, still finding new stuff out..Ancestry.com is a trip! :)

tjolims
08-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I'm mostly made of sugar and spice and everything nice. ;)

Ethnically speaking...I've got one Seminole great-grandparent, one English great-grandparent, and everybody else is black!

My hair is kind of hair that nobody ever calls "good hair", if you know what I mean. ;)

GalaxyGirl2012
08-20-2010, 01:50 PM
african, creek, choctaw, welsh, scotch-irish. i'd like to find out where exactly in africa my folks were from someday.

re the indian hair "good hair comment" indian hair tends to be straight yes, but also coarse, thick and unruly if i go by the texture of my asian friends . in that sense, i definitely have good indian hair.

ETA: forgot to include that i love my hair texture. My only wish list for it is that I figure out how to keep it loose and the ends from tangling the longer it gets

NaturallyMeka1217
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
African, Cherokee, Blackfoot, German Jewish, French, still finding new stuff out..Ancestry.com is a trip! :)

I'm gonna have to check out that site. I wonder how you would go about getting someone to do the analysis like Henry Louis Gates?
Also, to the original poster, please don't apologize for putting your thoughts out. I think this is a great and interesting thread!

Maat
08-20-2010, 02:11 PM
fathers side: afrikan, blackfoot, and irish.

mum's side: afrikan

If I find out more..I'll update
I am beyond satisfied with my hair texture. just sharing genealogy here..thats all. I just consider myself as an afrikan.

Intellexual
08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I'm a nigga. For those who don't understand the reality beyond the politics, I'll expound. I have no idea where I come from. I can't claim any history or lineage exclusively. I don't know whether or not I'm a descendant of slaves. I only know that I'm blacked and back stabbed according to the caste system set before us.

I don't tend to be a routinely happy individual, but I've been stylin', profilin', and wylin' since the umbilical cord gave way. Being I is what I do and I intend and tend to do it well. I'm currently locking my hair and doing it with my usual radiance. I don't look back, including into historical books and resources offered by sentimentalists and one-sided victors. Crabs and haters keep me well informed, as I keep moving forward into enlightenment. For now, you can analyze my hair from photos and trying to catch up. =)

felisha1980
08-20-2010, 02:55 PM
Jamaican,German,Korean,and who knows what else that's just the 3 I know for sure.

Mirah Nirvana
08-20-2010, 03:07 PM
I'm Black and Blacker, with a little bit of rapist white.

No, I don't got no Indian in my family.

This^^^^^^

CinnamonBiscuit
08-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I wish I knew. All I know is that my family is black and I have some white relatives who don't know I exist. I have no clue where any of my ancestors are from.

murakan
08-20-2010, 06:12 PM
@Intell..cant give you 'reputation' for your post but as they say ..its the thought that counts..no?!

AutumnRain
08-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I am black, brown really, descended from a long line of Caribbeans. I've had locks for a few years now and yes, I am particularly fond of my hair texture.

Teranga21
08-20-2010, 10:24 PM
Senegalese, Guinean & Malian (mother) & Mauritanian & Vietnamese (father)....Proud West african Fulani woman!!!!
But I bleed red, my skin color is clay and my hair is LOCKED!

GoinNatty2ndGoRound
08-20-2010, 10:41 PM
This is a somewhat of a touchy thread... I'd love to know where my people came from and I'm not talking about from one of those .coms... I'm talkin about listening to grand-mama give facts of where her grand-mama was from and where her grand-mama was from all the while granny is frying fresh fish in the kitchen, demanding you keep your dusty hands outta her sweetly saturated carrot cake she just prepared.
My mother was birthed in Baton Rouge, LA and her mother, my grandmother is from Arkansas... From the looks of my "nose" which is purely long and European, someone was obviously taking advantage of their slaves. Or, there is a mixture of creole/French somewhere in my veins. So, by the looks of my "nose" not my hair I have a lot of thangs occurring in my blood line!

Teranga21
08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
... From the looks of my "nose" which is purely long and European, someone was obviously taking advantage of their slaves. Or, there is a mixture of creole/French somewhere in my veins. So, by the looks of my "nose" not my hair I have a lot of thangs occurring in my blood line!

Features are not limited to one region or ethnicity. As someone who has Fulani and Touareg ancestry I can assure you that most of us have long noses and straight or curly hair, which has nothing to do w/being white. Why must there be a correlation between features and skin color????
:(o)This is why I dislike racial classification. (just ranting....SOWWY) :(

Mustbnice1
08-20-2010, 11:07 PM
just to clear some things up I asked the hair question because for me... sometime i don't like my hair texture because some of the ideas i have for my hair wil not work as well as i would like due to my curl pattern... I was wondering if anyone else felt that way... not that it is an issue... i like being able to have FLAWLESS waves when its short, full thick fro when it gets to that point.. and having people say wow when the see it done... so for those that took offense or whatever... none should have been taken!

Karibana
08-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Since I'm of Haitian parents it's a given that I'm of West African descent. I know that my great maternal grandma was mulatto and that her grand father was himself a slave but I'm pretty sure great grandpa was of pure African descent lineage. My grandma's second hubby was lightskinned so I'm guessing some mixing there as well, maybe I'll ask my mom about him tomorrow, he died when she was 5. On my dad's side, who knows but my paternal grandad was from Haiti's south so quite possible there's a slave owner somewhere in there and apparently we get our surname from a French general in his bloodline but I'm taking that with a shovel of salt, I have a typical Haitian surname that's composed of two male first-names.

I'd love to take an ethnic DNA test to have an idea who been sexing, voluntarily or not, in my ancestry.

As for my hair, it's locked now so...

Kathleen1
08-21-2010, 12:13 AM
my parent r both jamaican with hopefully 100% african acenstry. although my mom talks about having a grandmother who was Indian (she talks about her having silky hair n stuff...but what do u expect from a mother who has a perm). any white in my ancestry (i doubt i have any tho) if cuz my ancestors was raped by sum1 white n i cant b mad can i ? i guess thats why i wont go to ancestry.com im 2 black n militant 2 find out i got white in my family i might just die n b b like LAAAWD CAN I EVEN HAVE THE BLUES ANYMORE!!!LAWD LAWD LAWD... ahem anyways lol...id rather not kno

ayana862004
08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Dad is half cherokee and black, mom is half panamanian and black

KoilyLocGirl
08-21-2010, 03:21 PM
@ Mustbnice1 - it's already been said in this thread - you have nothing to apologize for. You had a question, you asked it. No other explanation is necessary. :)

I have Portugese on my mother's side and Chinese and Irish on my father's side. The only white people I know with my surname have only appeared over the last generation or so. As for my hair texture...I'm fine with it. Used to wish it was less kinky, then more kinky, less thick, then more thick. I'm loc'ed now and wish for the more kinky more thick all the time, but overall, I'm fine with what the good Lord gave me.
:D

Msretta
08-21-2010, 09:23 PM
one. Not every African American has Native American ancestry. I personally think this is an 'urban legend'.
two. OP dont apologize for your thoughts and posting. I just think of so many who have great ideas for topics and dont.

For the most part I am of African ancestry with white folks...in both cases I dont know the place of origin.(Tribe,country etc) but that is what I do know for sure.
I would love to have the genetic tests done...I love genealogy/history stuff..and I would love to know more about my family.
I am more than fine with my hair which I wear in dreadlocks!

Msretta
08-21-2010, 09:25 PM
LOL off topic....Kathleen1...I was listening to Aretha singing Chain of fools and your avatar was groovin!!

sharynleigh
08-27-2010, 11:10 PM
My sister and brother did the DNA test and it certainly put an end to the "indian" story that was going around. Yes, there is some in there on my father's side but the the blood that caused my siblings to come here in shades of brown ranging from butter to milk chocolate was that ole white man sneaking around way back then. Even traced my mom's side back to England and working on my father's side. It is what it is. Our hair ranges in texture too from wirey to soft and loose. Mine is soft, loose if manipulated but definitely nappy and I love it.

curlyhead07
09-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Haitian... they say that most black people are atleast 25% other/white due to slavery etc. But Im only going to count direct and non slavery mixes..meaning love and marriage not rape... my mom is full black Haitian (not counting the rapist) and my dad is half afro haitian, a quarter indian/asian haitian and a quarter euro haitian (his father was black and his mother was half white and indian, she looked euro hispanic)...So Im not counting any rape factors.. so that makes me 75% black and a quarter white and indian mix..and yes I love my long,fluffy curls..theyre so fluffy Im going to die!!!! lol

KellyVonn
09-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Love my texture!! Love everything that makes me..me.(:-) We have a very interesting history, we traced our direct family to South America.

Veviticus
09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm a nigga. For those who don't understand the reality beyond the politics, I'll expound. I have no idea where I come from. I can't claim any history or lineage exclusively. I don't know whether or not I'm a descendant of slaves. I only know that I'm blacked and back stabbed according to the caste system set before us.

I don't tend to be a routinely happy individual, but I've been stylin', profilin', and wylin' since the umbilical cord gave way. Being I is what I do and I intend and tend to do it well. I'm currently locking my hair and doing it with my usual radiance. I don't look back, including into historical books and resources offered by sentimentalists and one-sided victors. Crabs and haters keep me well informed, as I keep moving forward into enlightenment. For now, you can analyze my hair from photos and trying to catch up. =)

LMBO and CRYIN...HEAD IS HURTING...LMBO!!!! Hope I can make it to the bathroom..LMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cerendipity
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM

LOL@ you.

My mother Dominican
My father Jamaican

My paternal grandmother Hakka Jamaican ( Her family were emmigrants to Jamaica as well )
My paternal grandfather Hakka Jamaican

My great grandfather was one of the first families to come over to Jamaica in 1854, ( as it was told to my father)
My paternal great-grandmother Jamaican
My paternal great-grandfather Chinese

My maternal grandmother Dominican
My maternal grandfather Dominican

If my mothers family were more accepting , I would be able to find out our history on that side as well . I come from old folks. My dad was born in 1927 and my mom in 1938.

My hair texture is the least of my concerns but yes I love it

RaeShouna
09-17-2010, 04:01 PM
My mother's grandmother was half Cherokee half black with a possible white.
Her Dad's mother was Choctaw can't remember if she was mixed...I remember grandpa saying she was 100%. There was definitely white on grandpa's side but I think it was a secret marriage because the land that grandpa grew up on was given to them because they were family. Also Henley is an English, Irish last name I did a little free research but didn't get too far:(. On my Dad's side his mother and father are Jamaican. His paternal grandfather came to America under political asylum. Not very clear with Jamaican history yet. But if I get a chance to meet him before he pass I will most definitely pick his brain. And his maternal grandparents are from Jamaica. I classify myself as a pure bred American...Mixed pot and all!:p

Mae
09-17-2010, 05:25 PM
FYI, those DNA tests don't give complete info, so not finding a certain ancestry via DNA tests doesn't mean that the ancestry isn't there...

One of my great, great, great or so grandfathers was the son of a British slave owner and a black slave (this is what I could gather from the records)

I had another great great grand whose ethnicity changed from mullato to colored through the decades (discovered via the census records)

My mom's paternal grandfather was Creek...

I have heard stories that my mom's mom's dad's family (my great grandfather's family) was partly non-black (Indian and/or white)

I have heard rumors of Cherokee on my dad's maternal side, but I have no evidence...

I am pretty sure that the black folks on both sides of my family originally arrived in Charleston, SC, but from where in Africa, I do not know...

I consider myself African American, and I consider African Americans to be a racially mixed people, just like other afro-descendant peoples in the Americas...

blkrose
09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
I wish I knew. Some years back after my biological father passed I found out his mother was Caribbean; where from, I have no clue. My grandfathers father (mothers father's father) was a white man. I am a human female who happens to be of a mixed breed of various ethic groups I am sure:).

RaeShouna
09-17-2010, 05:55 PM
So Mae about how long did it take for you to research the census and did it cost you anything? My family is from Saluda SC on my mom's side so it was like pulling teeth trying to find any records past a certain year.

Mojito Chica
09-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Hm, I'll go with black and blacker, though I'm sure there are some raping slave masters in there somewhere. I am also happy with my hair.

Princess Pamplemousse
09-17-2010, 05:57 PM
The only ancestors I know of for certain are the Irish slave owners that raped their way into my family tree and an absentee Jamaican grandfather. I hear rumblings of Native American roots but I couldn't name a tribe for the life of me. One day I'll figure out from where in Africa the bulk of my blood comes.

My hair exists in it's natural state because I love it the way it was made.

Fuzziwuz
09-17-2010, 07:12 PM
What am I made of? Sugar, spice and everything nice. :)
Lineage: Maternal: black, native American. Paternal: black, anglo, native. RE: Hair texture? I prefer the kinky loose wave hair in the front, over the soft coily hair mainly because the back easily breaks and tangles. Wish it was all uniform. But it is what it is.... I just work with it the best I can.

blkrose
09-17-2010, 07:30 PM
What am I made of? Sugar, spice and everything nice. :)
Lineage: Maternal: black, native American. Paternal: black, anglo, native. RE: Hair texture? I prefer the kinky loose wave hair in the front, over the soft coily hair mainly because the back easily breaks and tangles. Wish it was all uniform. But it is what it is.... I just work with it the best I can.

clapping:)

KellyVonn
09-17-2010, 08:13 PM

:-)) I feel ya bruh! ;)

empowered
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
African (of course)-EVERYONE
Indian (Black Foot tribe)-Great grandmother
Italian (can't remember what city exactly)-Somewhere on my father's side

I am very happy with the natural me :)

Julia_75
09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
On my dad's side I believe I am mostly if not completely black. Everyone on that side of the family is deep skin toned, wide hips, etc (yeah the hips completely skipped me)

On my mother's side there are different heritages. Everyone always said we had native blood. I never really believed it because my grandmother people always looked white/black to me lol! Well a few years ago I actually got to see some pics and hear some real stories. Sooo, I guess I am black, blackfoot, and white. Although I just say I'm black because I don't feel like having to go through my family tree. Yes I LOVE my healthy hair!

abnyc
09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I'm mostly mixed west African ancestry with one documented east African ancestor. There is also one documented Chinese guy back there and one reputed east Indian. That's all on the West Indian side. The rest is mixed African with a little European mixed in. I'm curious to know more but also a little scared I may find some unexpected stuff. That always seems to happen on those ancestry shows.

I love my hair. It's super nappy. I self-identify as Black.

Veviticus
09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Me: Black/White/Native American

My mother was Black American/Native American/White (Seminole or Cherokee) I'm quite sure that there are probably some Black American relatives somewhere down the line but I haven't found them yet.
Her mother / ... and my great grandmother name was Mammie New Year (Native American/ possibly White)
Her father/His name was New Dred (Native American)

My father was (Native American/Black American/White)
His mother (Native American/White)
His father (Black American)

I have to ask my aunt who is the longest living member amongst my mother's siblings about this some more.
It wasn't always so, but I feel very blessed to be who I am, hair and all.

sharynleigh
09-23-2010, 01:44 AM
i am so tired of hearing this i got indian blood story. the truth of the matter is that very few african americans have indian blood. that was a story that was passed down through the generations. i hear yeah i have indian blood cuz i have high cheekbones or some great aunt had hair to her butt. "rolls eyes". if ya wanna find out what you are then take a dna test, maternal and paternal. chances are you will find out that there is no indian blood, just some regular ole european stuff floating around in there. my brother and sister took the tests and now we know that the story from my mom's side about indian blood is just a story and of course there was an english man in the mix. on my father's side, where there was no claim of indian blood, we found african, indian and of course caucasian. but the thing is.. i can only identify with the culture that i was brought up in. who are these people and what difference does it make about who i am?

a woman on my job got pissed off when i told her how few blacks actually had indian blood cause she was telling me that knows that so and so is part cherokee. i just asked her if that made her feel better about herself to say that she was part indian and why was she getting so upset when i told her that fact about how many blacks actually have indian bloodlines. she was so upset that she almost started crying. i mean come on already. anyhoo... carry on

Khalliqa
09-23-2010, 01:49 AM
i am so tired of hearing this i got indian blood story. the truth of the matter is that very few african americans have indian blood. that was a story that was passed down through the generations. i hear yeah i have indian blood cuz i have high cheekbones or some great aunt had hair to her butt. "rolls eyes". if ya wanna find out what you are then take a dna test, maternal and paternal. chances are you will find out that there is no indian blood, just some regular ole european stuff floating around in there. my brother and sister took the tests and now we know that the story from my mom's side about indian blood is just a story and of course there was an english man in the mix. on my father's side, where there was no claim of indian blood, we found african, indian and of course caucasian. but the thing is.. i can only identify with the culture that i was brought up in. who are these people and what difference does it make about who i am?

a woman on my job got pissed off when i told her how few blacks actually had indian blood cause she was telling me that knows that so and so is part cherokee. i just asked her if that made her feel better about herself to say that she was part indian and why was she getting so upset when i told her that fact about how many blacks actually have indian bloodlines. she was so upset that she almost started crying. i mean come on already. anyhoo... carry on

What she said...

Veviticus
09-23-2010, 03:59 AM
Well, my search was done by Ancestry.com and other information from older relatives that Ancestry.com confirmed.
I don't have to, nor have any reason to lie to anyone on this post.
I have nothing to prove,...the information I submitted is accurate, and I am just simply answering the question that was asked, and have acknowledged ALL of the nationalities (from the information that I have recieved so far) that my family comes from.

kell
10-01-2010, 04:05 PM
There are some people who do have Indian blood not always American Indian. In my case I don't have Indian blood but most of my family like to say their Indian rather than say white. On my father side is African and on my mother side is alot of people with blond hair and blue eyes and lite skin saying their Indian. When I say they look white they get offended. I mean really, how many Indians have blue eyes and blond hair. Lite skin Black Americans with blue or hazel eyes and blond or red hair usually have white ancestry some where. My hair is brown and very nappy and i'm finally feel good about that. Use to have low self esteem about my hair

Fuzziwuz
10-01-2010, 05:42 PM
IDK why someone would be upset to tears over a speculation. Unless one did a DNA test of family lineage, traced genealogy, attended years of family reunions & funerals, visit family burial grounds, or read through generations of family religious texts with pictures; they have no business telling the next about their family history and state it's falsehood. Be only concerned with your own.

Mirah Nirvana
10-01-2010, 05:58 PM
This^^^^^^

I forgot to answer the original question:

What am I made of? Eh, a lot. Dunno exact ethnicities...

Am I happy with my hair texture: Yes :))

Mindfulone31
10-03-2010, 02:00 AM
As far as I know there's black, white, trini and possibly indian (tho i am not sure about the indian part). As for my hair...lol..my hair was confused when I was a little girl, it was confused with a perm, and it will be doubly confused in transition. I love my hair and that's that :)

BettePorterFan
11-03-2010, 03:40 AM
100% Caribbean, both Mother and Father, British and French citizens, respectively. As for admixtures, brace yourselves....

Mother's side:
Maternal: White Portuguese (relatives emigrated from Portugal to St. Kitts in 1800s)
Paternal: African and Caucasian (don't have all the information-slave nonsense)

Father's side:
Maternal: African and Caucasian (don't have all the information-slave nonsense)
Paternal: Unknown, but definitely African and likely slave nonsense

Been told I have "good hair", but don't remember what it looked or felt like so am in the process of transitioning back to natural. I don't know about this "good hair" stuff, but I know I just love that it tends to be healthy, grows fast, and is resilient. That's all I care about.

Tigeress
11-03-2010, 03:59 AM
I'm creole: african, french, choctaw native american. My parents were born in louisiana and I am a first gen californian.

My hair is frizzy 4A/B. Its gets dry fast and grows really fast without me noticing it since it shrinks fast. It's tough and can stand a lot of things without breaking. Its really thick and can be a pain to twist and detangle and its barely to my neck. The only thing I don't "enjoy" about my hair is that the frizz never stops, no matter how moisturized it will always be a fuzzball in some spots but it nothing I can't appreciate.

Butterfly Rose
11-03-2010, 08:39 PM
So Betteporterfan, youre basically a white woman who is only 'black' due to the 'one drop rule'?

sorry but this along with the nonsense about 'I got Indian' somewhere somehow along the line is just annoying..you got 1 speck of something other than black and suddenly it becomes your most defining feature...sorry black people (who adopt this folly) get a freaking grip already..

That was unnecessary.

aakifa
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
well for one all textures of hair are beautiful and healthy hair is "good hair". & the reality is only a select few people on this earth have coiled textured hair, not even every ethnicity in africa has coiled hair. Some have fine textured hair like some one from india would have. like berber people in morrocco have. & somalis somtimes their hair is very very fine textured/straight besides the usually curly hair they usually have. & there were no indians in america those were natives, the only indians are people from india, just syain. & most native americans didnt mix with the africans but some did, not most though. & you dont have to be "mixed" with any non-african ethnicity to have fine textured hair or hair like some one who is half caucasian. because many ethnicities in africa have fine textured hair or hair that is NOT coiled/tightly coiled or what is usually referred to as "nappy". Somalies, egyptians, some ethiopians, morraccans, algerians, libians from libya, some in the west sehara, some in chad, niger, senegal, etc. So the stigma that you have to have some non-african ethnicity in you to have fine textured hair or curly less coiled hair is a false and ignorant one. your people could have been from somalia or some where north africa. Nor do you have to be "mixed" with a non-african ethnicity to have lighter skin. again most somalies are not dark. africa varies in ethnicities like no other continent. Not every one there is coal black with tightly coiled hair(not that that look is a bad thing) just sayin. & there are dutch in south africa as well as the british just left kenya in the 50~s after the mau mau movement. and there are other ethnicities of non-african people there and there have been for a long time so not even all africans are "pure" in ethnicity. So theres really no need to be stuck on "pureness". But it makes sense to want to know what tribe you came from because as we all know "black" is not an ethnicity niether is "african". "African" is a nationality like "american" or "mexican". Its ignorant to say "african" in reference to ethnicity as if "african" and the people there are all one ethnicity and theyre not. even people in somali acknowlege theyre not the same in ethnicity as south africans who arent the same ethnicity as berber men in morrocco who arent the same ethnicity as people in lybia..etc. But yea to want to know what tribe and "people" you specificly came from would be nice. I`d like to know. But only for the sake of knowing. not for the sake of feeling "better" than the "other" or for the sake of separation, just simply for the sake of knowing. because if you look so far back people were, at a time, not even classified by so many ethnicities and "titles" they were just people.

Samiah
11-03-2010, 09:38 PM
I'd like to find out what part of Africa or wherever my ancestors are from... But as far as I know I'm black, Chinese, and Native Canadian.

I don't know what to really type my hair. I'm thinking 4A/B but, I don't really care much, I <3 my hair. :)

tenachie
11-03-2010, 11:36 PM
why is hair always attributed to white/indian..threads like this rub me the wrong way too..Ive seen mixed people with nappier hair than my living room carpet and African people with silkier hair than any Indian person so really..why is it important..
NONE of us are 100% anything but human (hopefully!)..so what is the big deal??

not even every ethnicity in africa has coiled hair....you dont have to be "mixed" with any non-african ethnicity to have fine textured hair or hair like some one who is half caucasian. because many ethnicities in africa have fine textured hair or hair that is NOT coiled/tightly coiled or what is usually referred to as "nappy".

^^^^
I've frequently been told I have "good hair" by folks here (a term I was not familiar with). Growing up, other Ghanaians would describe my hair as "soft hair". Anyway, I'm from a small ethnic group and as far as the family knows each ancestor we can trace has also been of that same ethnic group. You look at me and my siblings or my family and there's no mistakening we are Black and African. However, just because of my hair, I've had other Africans and some African Americans INSIST that I must have European ancestry! It's maddening!

My hair is tightly coiled and looser on the crown (4a-b). My father's hair is the same. One of my sibling and my mom also have thin/fine hair but not the obvious coils. Two siblings have thicker coarse hair - one's hair barely grows the other just sprouts, literally sprouts! We are all on the black- blacker than black end of the colour spectrum...such that even in Ghana we've been made fun of for our blackness. I'm the lightest of us ie. dark chocolate.

I'd like to do a DNA test not to find other ethnicities but to see if it is accurate! I know what I am! Lol!

Oh, and yes, I love my hair. Always have. Did perm for ~4 yrs but that was prompted by coming to America in high school and being told I was no longer a child so it was a must. I reverted back in college and haven't looked back.

Mustbnice1
11-04-2010, 01:29 AM
hey ladies and gents... not sure if all of you use fotki but check me out and please be honest with your comments... considering getting a hair cut... let me know NP FAM

Mojito Chica
11-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Why do you want to cut?

murakan
11-04-2010, 07:31 PM
That was unnecessary.

how so..reading other posters comments I would actually say it was completely relevant and absolutely necessary..
I dont have time for the thin skinned on such subjects..

I do and always have taken issue with this kind of nonsense..particularly against the social/historical backdrop African (& diaspora) identities have taken shape..looking at a visually (and Im sure ethnically give or take a few 'halotypes') African woman who is detailing her family as practically European is a tad bit sad no?

nisywisy
11-05-2010, 06:32 AM
I'm not sure about the mindset of others that mention their supposed Indian ancestry, but who knows, maybe it's about being able to shed light on a mysterious background. Or maybe its about being unique. If all you know is that you're black and then you get an idea that you could have something that sets you apart, it's exciting. Exotic. Specific. Who's to say one wouldn't be just as proud to know they have Senegalese, Ethiopian, or Cambodian ancestors?

Veviticus
11-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure about the mindset of others that mention their supposed Indian ancestry, but who knows, maybe it's about being able to shed light on a mysterious background. Or maybe its about being unique. If all you know is that you're black and then you get an idea that you could have something that sets you apart, it's exciting. Exotic. Specific. Who's to say one wouldn't be just as proud to know they have Senegalese, Ethiopian, or Cambodian ancestors?

Before I start, Nisywisy...I am not posting this as a direct response to you, but I'm just trying to respond in general, to what you posted, and it is not my intention to offend you or anyone else.

I really don't understand what the upset is all about when someone mentions that they have Indian ancestry, and WHY does that make some on here so angry? That what is foolish to me. Do you have something against other nationalities, etc?

For me, I was just simply answering the question that was asked.
I have no problem acknowledging my BLACK ancestry.
I have no problem acknowledging my AMERICAN NATIVE ancesty.
I have no problem acknowledging my WHITE ancestry.

And I am quite sure that there may be more of something else that I might be apart of as I continue to search.

It's not something that makes me feel more exotic, better, special, or set apart,...but I am proud of them ALL, and I don't put one above the other.

I will not acknowledge one ancestry without acknowledging them all...it is what it is.

I HAVE done historical research and submitted to DNA testing and again...it is what it is..and if that upsets some folks, then maybe you need to search yourself and find why you react the way you do to this post. Are you proud or ashamed of your heritage and ancestry, or wish that you could be "something" more or less?

Butterfly Rose
11-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Before I start, Nisywisy...I am not posting this as a direct response to you, but I'm just trying to respond in general, to what you posted, and it is not my intention to offend you or anyone else.

I really don't understand what the upset is all about when someone mentions that they have Indian ancestry, and WHY does that make some on here so angry? That what is foolish to me. Do you have something against other nationalities, etc?

For me, I was just simply answering the question that was asked.
I have no problem acknowledging my BLACK ancestry.
I have no problem acknowledging my AMERICAN NATIVE ancesty.
I have no problem acknowledging my WHITE ancestry.

And I am quite sure that there may be more of something else that I might be apart of as I continue to search.

It's not something that makes me feel more exotic, better, special, or set apart,...but I am proud of them ALL, and I don't put one above the other.

I will not acknowledge one ancestry without acknowledging them all...it is what it is.

I HAVE done historical research and submitted to DNA testing and again...it is what it is..and if that upsets some folks, then maybe you need to search yourself and find why you react the way you do to this post. Are you proud or ashamed of your heritage and ancestry, or wish that you could be "something" more or less?

What she said.

nisywisy
11-05-2010, 06:22 PM
No offense taken ;) And I agree about the unnecessary anger, that's what spurred my response.

Mustbnice1
11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Why do you want to cut?

I am tired of having to get my hair retwisted so often... it may last a week and a half atmost... check out my uyoutube vids

Vavoon
11-08-2010, 04:06 PM
both sides are Haitian for me. I would like to believe my ancestry is mostly of African descent. people actually think I'm African and not Haitian at all. Technically i'm both. my hair texture is cool and coarse. benefits in the locing process mos def.

ZettasJourney
11-09-2010, 06:43 PM
African American, Cherokee Indian, Pacific Islander (Tonga), Dutch

alanija
11-09-2010, 08:53 PM
So far I know that my Great-grandfather on my mother's side was Bahamian, and my Grandfather on my father's side was Jamaican.

KoilyLocGirl
11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
how so..reading other posters comments I would actually say it was completely relevant and absolutely necessary..
I dont have time for the thin skinned on such subjects..

I do and always have taken issue with this kind of nonsense..particularly against the social/historical backdrop African (& diaspora) identities have taken shape..looking at a visually (and Im sure ethnically give or take a few 'halotypes') African woman who is detailing her family as practically European is a tad bit sad no?

To answer your question Murakan.....no.

The OP asked a question, BettePorterFan answered it. For the most part, I think it is safe to assume that folks who frequent NP are of African descent... The OP wanted more details, and got them.

Julia_75
11-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Well this thread took a turn... But I do wonder myself why people get mad when black folks mention any other heritage besides African. It's like people look down on you or something. African Americans are not 100% African hence the American part. This makes me think of that crazy girl in the bonnet that made a vid about being native...

kell
11-14-2010, 12:34 PM
julia 75, Its more than obvious that Black Americans are mixed with many different races, why mention it at all? Why are you so PRO WHITE? Is it because you date the White man?

Julia_75
11-14-2010, 04:23 PM
Well, well, well...

Julia_75
11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Well, well, well.....Breath exhale. Well seeing that my post mentioned Native Americans I don't know why you would say PRO WHITE. But to answer your question I am pro HUMAN. I was raised to love everyone. As of late I've noticed that it some feel to b pro-black you have to be anti-everything else. Anyone who actually knows me would know that I am not just a talker I am a doer as well. I have been dedicated to the healing of society as a whole. I particularly would like to see more positive things in the black community. I specifically want to help children. This is why am in college right now getting my degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in human services ( grad in MARCH) So I can add something to the world.

SO just know I don't have to yell "BLACK POWER KILL WHITEY" to prove how black I am or agree with what you or any other person says just because they are black. I live it in my actions every single day by being a positive impact on the HUMAN RACE.

As for my HUSBAND of 4 years there aren't race issues in our relationship. There was no need to even mention him but we are happy and have a beautiful child together. So yeah when I see people lopping all white people together I do think that's some bullshitz. My man is a good one regardless of race and my son is half of him. So, how can I not get a little offended at things that I see that are sometimes blatantly racist. Yeah and if he was Arab, Chinese, Sudanese I'd be the same way.

Since you opened up the pot I have some questions for you:

1) Why are you so angry/ anti?
you are anti gay, anti- irr, anti white establishment, and it shows

2) why do you spend so much energy on being negative?

3) since you worrying about my man how's your relationship going ( not even a black man likes a bitter black woman)??

Oh a

kell
11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Well, well, well, julia 75, I really didn't know I was so negative and anti everything. We have something in common, I'm currently going to college part time for criminal justice and I work full time. I'm at a computer alot and I like to ask alot of questions and be curious/noisey. I find that, when your talking this way you don't have to be so nice or politically correct. I say alot of things I'm thinking. Face to face people don't say things they just grin and be fake but you know some of the things I've mentioned you may have thought about someone else but just would not say it. By the way I was not worried about your man. I thought you dated whites, because of the pic, thought you were curious and may be going thru a faze but your married. Your officially pro white, and thats ok, your happy. As far as my relationship its OVER. I'm doing me.

Julia_75
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Why do you keep saying I'm pro white? I feel like that's your way of getting around calling me something else. Is there something else you would like to say? I am PRO HUMAN that's my label. I define who and what I am not you. But obviously you think you know everything. Since only fools think they know everything and I don't argue with fools I will just say have a nice life. May you find happiness and someone else to do you too!

Princess Pamplemousse
11-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Well. That's just ugly :o You all are sure showing and educating each other.

Anyhoo. My momma's black. My daddy's black. I am black :)

blackpanthershay13
11-14-2010, 06:30 PM
julia 75, Its more than obvious that Black Americans are mixed with many different races, why mention it at all? Why are you so PRO WHITE? Is it because you date the White man?

Is this for real?

blackpanthershay13
11-14-2010, 06:45 PM
I am Barbadian first of all :)
When I was living in Canada Ghanians told me my cheekbones looked like my ancestors could be from there.
black, portuguese..maternal side
black,english..paternal aide
This is going from what the family has said..we haven't had any tests done.
Could be a whole lot of things..who knows. :)

I love my hair!! It has a few textures in it and does what it wants :)

kell
11-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Yes this is real. Also my parents are both Black American and I'm considered lite skin so Whitey did alot of raping.

Princess Pamplemousse
11-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes this is real. Also my parents are both Black American and I'm considered lite skin so Whitey did alot of raping.

******:-))***** Lol true facts though. A lot of people get hyped about so called "interesting" features they may have. Let's think it through though...if all of your folks are black...and you have that aquiline European nose...how do you think it infiltrated your blood line? Consensually? Nah man. lol Would people still be so excited to find the origins of those *speshul* features if they knew what had to happen for them to get them?

Personally, I'm not :-| But then, I have family members who went searching for (and found!) the Irish-American slave owning family that raped their way into our family. And they were still excited 8) I was fine knowing that somewhere, somehow some white man raped my great grandma. I'd much rather my kin would've spent that money figuring out where our African ancestors were from. That's who I choose to identify with. And that's who the wider (whiter) world identifies me with. Everybody wins :D

deecoily
11-14-2010, 11:01 PM
Stop with the racial stereotyping already. Some posts in here are genuinely disturbing.

This topic has gone way off topic and it is closed. The 10 page mandatory review for closure has been reached and it is my discretion to close it now.